Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Overclocking i7-4930k Help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Overclocking i7-4930k Help - Page 80

post #791 of 1417
I think it might have to do more with my ram. Although I am running at 1600 it appears that out of the 6 ram chips I am using they are each running differently. I am getting slightly higher #'s after adding 2x2gb ram chips but look at the 3d mark results. I can guarantee my low physics #'s are ram issues. I plan on upgrading soon.

Module 1 and 5 run at 800mhz
Module 3 and 4 run at 533mhz
Module 2 and 6 run at 667mhz

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8187540

************ NEW UPDATE**************

Just bought some new ram.

G.Skill PC3-17000 16 GB DIMM 2133 MHz DDR3 SDRAM Memory (F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH)

Numbers are better but still lower then where I'd like them to be.
This is on 2133 on 9-11-10-28-1T

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8209961

I then tried 2400 on 10-12-11-31-2T but ended up with lower #'s

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8203991

Anymore ideas to yield higher numbers. My clocks are 100% stable and fully tested w/ great temps and volts but the physics score on 3d mark just seems low. Where should I go from here?
Edited by danycyo - 4/8/14 at 11:20pm
post #792 of 1417
Hi Everyone smile.gif

So, i found a 4,6 rocksolid setup at 1.310 bios vcore (1.328~1.344 CPUz). [8h prime and 2h linx passed].
It looks like a good cpu and i should have margin for try 4.7 and maybe 4.8 too.

But i want to be sure my settings are right and not dengerous before moving on.. i din't find any Guide for ivy-e, and i'm coming from a 2600k.. so basically what i set is:

Overclock Tuner = xmp

Cpu Vcore = 1.310

Cpu VCCSA voltage = 1.050

Internal PLL overvoltage = Enabled

Dram Frequency = 2133 (well this comes from XMP profile)

Dram VOltage = 1.65

Cpu Power Phase control = Optimized

VCCSA Load Line Calibration = High

VCCSA Current Capability = 120%

CPU VCCSA Boot up voltage = 1.100

And that's all.
I left everything else at stock settings.

So my question is.. is it good this way or should i manually set something else to prevent possible damage/degradation ?
I like this chip.. i want to preserve him smile.gif

Thank you everyone and have a good day.

[BTW.. my Mobo is a Rampage 4 Black and my rams are Corsairs Dom Platinum 2133]
post #793 of 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4lek View Post

Hi Everyone smile.gif

So, i found a 4,6 rocksolid setup at 1.310 bios vcore (1.328~1.344 CPUz). [8h prime and 2h linx passed].
It looks like a good cpu and i should have margin for try 4.7 and maybe 4.8 too.

But i want to be sure my settings are right and not dengerous before moving on.. i din't find any Guide for ivy-e, and i'm coming from a 2600k.. so basically what i set is:

Overclock Tuner = xmp

Cpu Vcore = 1.310

Cpu VCCSA voltage = 1.050

Internal PLL overvoltage = Enabled

Dram Frequency = 2133 (well this comes from XMP profile)

Dram VOltage = 1.65

Cpu Power Phase control = Optimized

VCCSA Load Line Calibration = High

VCCSA Current Capability = 120%

CPU VCCSA Boot up voltage = 1.100

And that's all.
I left everything else at stock settings.

So my question is.. is it good this way or should i manually set something else to prevent possible damage/degradation ?
I like this chip.. i want to preserve him smile.gif

Thank you everyone and have a good day.

[BTW.. my Mobo is a Rampage 4 Black and my rams are Corsairs Dom Platinum 2133]

Have you tried offset mode? That way you aren't feeding your chip 1.3v constantly? Not that I think that will hurt it, but offset voltage seems to be the best method.
Workstation
(14 items)
 
CL SMA8
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6800k MSI X99a Gaming Pro Carbon EVGA GTX 1080 Founders HyperX Predator 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 Samsung 850 Pro 1TB Corsair H110 GTX Windows 10  
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U3415W Dell U3415W Razer Death Stalker EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2 
CaseMouse
Phanteks Pro M Acrylic Razer DeathAdder 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-5960x MSI X99A Xpower AC MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Hyper X Predator  Samsung 850 EVO Lots Windows 10 Home 
PowerCase
EVGA GS1050 CaseLabs Magnum SMA8 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(14 items)
 
CL SMA8
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6800k MSI X99a Gaming Pro Carbon EVGA GTX 1080 Founders HyperX Predator 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 Samsung 850 Pro 1TB Corsair H110 GTX Windows 10  
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U3415W Dell U3415W Razer Death Stalker EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2 
CaseMouse
Phanteks Pro M Acrylic Razer DeathAdder 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-5960x MSI X99A Xpower AC MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Hyper X Predator  Samsung 850 EVO Lots Windows 10 Home 
PowerCase
EVGA GS1050 CaseLabs Magnum SMA8 
  hide details  
Reply
post #794 of 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by danycyo View Post


************ NEW UPDATE**************

Just bought some new ram.

G.Skill PC3-17000 16 GB DIMM 2133 MHz DDR3 SDRAM Memory (F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH)

Numbers are better but still lower then where I'd like them to be.
This is on 2133 on 9-11-10-28-1T

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8209961

I then tried 2400 on 10-12-11-31-2T but ended up with lower #'s

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8203991

Anymore ideas to yield higher numbers. My clocks are 100% stable and fully tested w/ great temps and volts but the physics score on 3d mark just seems low. Where should I go from here?

Let I start by saying I have very little knowledge about the technology of CPU's and all the supporting components,
but I did notice an important connection between CPU speed/RAM speed/Timings

Higher CPU OC did not give me better scores at a certain point. My findings are that CPU clocks and Ram clocks together have a big impact on performance and your 2 runs shows that too. Also while CPU OC with Vcore X seems stable, it can perform worse than lower OC same voltage.

So, I am interested to see your results @ 4.4Ghz with 2133 RAM 11-12-11-30-2 . My CPU @ 4.4Ghz has best results with 1.295Vcore:

3DMark11 P 14.198

PerformanceTest 8.0: P 7.110 ( (http://www.passmark.com/products/pt.htm) fast CPU benchmarking tool, Freeware....


BTW: I have 4 banks RAM ( that is supposed to be the best configuration for I74930K)
Edited by Mercy4You - 4/9/14 at 7:11am
post #795 of 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMS2010 View Post

Have you tried offset mode? That way you aren't feeding your chip 1.3v constantly? Not that I think that will hurt it, but offset voltage seems to be the best method.

I was waiting for final configuration before trying offset, but yeah it is on my plans.

What i d like to know now if is the settings are "safe" this way or if i have to chanhe something else in manual mode.
post #796 of 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4lek View Post

I was waiting for final configuration before trying offset, but yeah it is on my plans.

What i d like to know now if is the settings are "safe" this way or if i have to chanhe something else in manual mode.

I would say it's safe for now. I'm using Offset mode. It idles at 1.004v and under full load stress testing it will go to 1.392v 4.6GHz. I'm still tuning, but it's stable.
Workstation
(14 items)
 
CL SMA8
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6800k MSI X99a Gaming Pro Carbon EVGA GTX 1080 Founders HyperX Predator 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 Samsung 850 Pro 1TB Corsair H110 GTX Windows 10  
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U3415W Dell U3415W Razer Death Stalker EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2 
CaseMouse
Phanteks Pro M Acrylic Razer DeathAdder 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-5960x MSI X99A Xpower AC MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Hyper X Predator  Samsung 850 EVO Lots Windows 10 Home 
PowerCase
EVGA GS1050 CaseLabs Magnum SMA8 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(14 items)
 
CL SMA8
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6800k MSI X99a Gaming Pro Carbon EVGA GTX 1080 Founders HyperX Predator 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 Samsung 850 Pro 1TB Corsair H110 GTX Windows 10  
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U3415W Dell U3415W Razer Death Stalker EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2 
CaseMouse
Phanteks Pro M Acrylic Razer DeathAdder 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-5960x MSI X99A Xpower AC MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Hyper X Predator  Samsung 850 EVO Lots Windows 10 Home 
PowerCase
EVGA GS1050 CaseLabs Magnum SMA8 
  hide details  
Reply
post #797 of 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by danycyo View Post

I think it might have to do more with my ram. Although I am running at 1600 it appears that out of the 6 ram chips I am using they are each running differently. I am getting slightly higher #'s after adding 2x2gb ram chips but look at the 3d mark results. I can guarantee my low physics #'s are ram issues. I plan on upgrading soon.

Module 1 and 5 run at 800mhz
Module 3 and 4 run at 533mhz
Module 2 and 6 run at 667mhz

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8187540

************ NEW UPDATE**************

Just bought some new ram.

G.Skill PC3-17000 16 GB DIMM 2133 MHz DDR3 SDRAM Memory (F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH)

Numbers are better but still lower then where I'd like them to be.
This is on 2133 on 9-11-10-28-1T

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8209961

I then tried 2400 on 10-12-11-31-2T but ended up with lower #'s

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8203991

Anymore ideas to yield higher numbers. My clocks are 100% stable and fully tested w/ great temps and volts but the physics score on 3d mark just seems low. Where should I go from here?

Try comparing physics numbers with Firestrike, that one does well in windows 8, other benchmarks score lower in win 8 than win 7, the physics test in 3dmark 11 scores considerably lower.

With the memory, 2400Mhz should score better than 2133 with those primary timings, the second & tertiary timings may be loosening up more with auto settings & dropping the score.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 990x/3930k/3770k/4770k GB x58a-OC/Asus RIVE/x79 gd65/z77 mpower/z77 MV... gtx480s/gtx580s/7970s/680s/Titan Hyper/PSC/BBSE/Hynix/Samsung 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
HDDs/SSDs DVD Air/water/phase/copper pot Windowz 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung 2320 Razer Lycosa ax1200 carboard box 
Mouse
Trackball 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 990x/3930k/3770k/4770k GB x58a-OC/Asus RIVE/x79 gd65/z77 mpower/z77 MV... gtx480s/gtx580s/7970s/680s/Titan Hyper/PSC/BBSE/Hynix/Samsung 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
HDDs/SSDs DVD Air/water/phase/copper pot Windowz 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung 2320 Razer Lycosa ax1200 carboard box 
Mouse
Trackball 
  hide details  
Reply
post #798 of 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercy4You View Post

Let I start by saying I have very little knowledge about the technology of CPU's and all the supporting components,
but I did notice an important connection between CPU speed/RAM speed/Timings

Higher CPU OC did not give me better scores at a certain point. My findings are that CPU clocks and Ram clocks together have a big impact on performance and your 2 runs shows that too. Also while CPU OC with Vcore X seems stable, it can perform worse than lower OC same voltage.

So, I am interested to see your results @ 4.4Ghz with 2133 RAM 11-12-11-30-2 . My CPU @ 4.4Ghz has best results with 1.295Vcore:

3DMark11 P 14.198

PerformanceTest 8.0: P 7.110 ( (http://www.passmark.com/products/pt.htm) fast CPU benchmarking tool, Freeware....


BTW: I have 4 banks RAM ( that is supposed to be the best configuration for I74930K)

How can this be? Faster processor should always yield more performance?
post #799 of 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiario View Post

How can this be? Faster processor should always yield more performance?

Good questions smile.gif on which I would like to get an explanation too. My guess is that while OC'ing to a certain point the IMC cannot keep up with the RAM. This CPU@3.9Ghz is guaranteed to operate flawless with maximum 1866 RAM, so there must lie the answer...
post #800 of 1417
I've gained much better efficiency going the other way on my DOM plats. C8 2064 trumps C92400 smile.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Overclocking i7-4930k Help