Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › How often would a SSD stop working?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How often would a SSD stop working? - Page 2

post #11 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1337 View Post

true failures or firmware/controller bugs? most failures are firmware or controller bugs, not the device actually failing itself.

reset or update firmware or controller would make the ssd works again? Then basically ssd can work forever as long as crash then reinstall/update firmware or controller?
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdgann View Post

reset or update firmware or controller would make the ssd works again? Then basically ssd can work forever as long as crash then reinstall/update firmware or controller?
A little more complicated then that, but sorta yes.the current firmware and controllers we have for SSDs are pretty infantile atm and need a lot of work to be reliable, most of the time when an SSD dies it's controller related and not that the memory on the SSD has failed.
post #13 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1337 View Post

A little more complicated then that, but sorta yes.the current firmware and controllers we have for SSDs are pretty infantile atm and need a lot of work to be reliable, most of the time when an SSD dies it's controller related and not that the memory on the SSD has failed.

then what would people do? Reset/update controller then work again, even thought all data inside lose?
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdgann View Post

then what would people do? Reset/update controller then work again, even thought all data inside lose?
RMA to the factory, simply putting new firmware one it won't fix it.
post #15 of 19
I've had an X25-M produce SMART errors and die on me before.

Also 5% of HDD dying in 10 years? That seems way off. I would argue over half of those drives would be producing errors after 10 years or be completely dead. Google's results showed hard drive failure skyrockets after about 4-5 years.
The Leviathan
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k @ 4.6GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M7 12GB NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal) 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V (DDR4 3200) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
2x 1TB Samsung 850 EVO 138TB unRAID Server 3x 140mm Noctua NF-A14 Noctua NH-D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 65" LG 65E6P (4K OLED) Ducky DK9008 Shine 3  Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Logitech G502 Proteus Sprectrum Denon X7200WA (Receiver) 2x Klipsch RF-7 (Front Speakers) 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
4x Klipsch RS-62 (Surround Speakers) Klipsch RC-64 (Center Speaker) 4x Klipsch CDT-5800-C II (Atmos Speakers) 2x SVS PB13-Ultra (Subwoofers) 
  hide details  
Reply
The Leviathan
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k @ 4.6GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M7 12GB NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal) 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V (DDR4 3200) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
2x 1TB Samsung 850 EVO 138TB unRAID Server 3x 140mm Noctua NF-A14 Noctua NH-D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 65" LG 65E6P (4K OLED) Ducky DK9008 Shine 3  Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Logitech G502 Proteus Sprectrum Denon X7200WA (Receiver) 2x Klipsch RF-7 (Front Speakers) 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
4x Klipsch RS-62 (Surround Speakers) Klipsch RC-64 (Center Speaker) 4x Klipsch CDT-5800-C II (Atmos Speakers) 2x SVS PB13-Ultra (Subwoofers) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1337 View Post

RMA to the factory, simply putting new firmware one it won't fix it.

normally 3 years warranty, so after 3 years would be very high risk? Much worse than normal HDD?
post #17 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post

I've had an X25-M produce SMART errors and die on me before.

Also 5% of HDD dying in 10 years? That seems way off. I would argue over half of those drives would be producing errors after 10 years or be completely dead. Google's results showed hard drive failure skyrockets after about 4-5 years.

That I am pretty lucky that I have two desktop HDD running 24/7, one is around 5 years old, another is around 7 years ago, both are still working...
my desktop case is pretty big with a lot of fans, may be that helps.
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdgann View Post

That I am pretty lucky that I have two desktop HDD running 24/7, one is around 5 years old, another is around 7 years ago, both are still working...
my desktop case is pretty big with a lot of fans, may be that helps.
HDDs actually like being semi warm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post

Also 5% of HDD dying in 10 years? That seems way off. I would argue over half of those drives would be producing errors after 10 years or be completely dead. Google's results showed hard drive failure skyrockets after about 4-5 years.

I remember reading a whitepaper which mentioned an average 5% AFR over a 5-year period. OP might be thinking about that. Cumulative failure within that time span is 25%. Assuming AFR doesn't decrease or increase, that's 50% cumulative failure after 10 years. Ouch.

Alas, this is pretty meaningless for folks who don't run data centers. Really, only thing to do is backup, backup, backup.
Garnet
(11 items)
 
Lucifiel
(13 items)
 
Metatron
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3450S Intel DQ77KB Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600 SO-DIMM Samsung 830 256GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial m4 256 mSATA Samsung 840 500GB Intel BXHTS1155LP Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Lian Li PC-Q05B Logitech M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 EVGA GTX 460 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Silverstone ST45SF 450W Silverstone Sugo SG05B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Biostar TH55B HD MSI GT 240 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel X25-M 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x86 Samsung 22" Antec EA-380D 
Case
Rosewill R101-P-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
Garnet
(11 items)
 
Lucifiel
(13 items)
 
Metatron
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3450S Intel DQ77KB Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600 SO-DIMM Samsung 830 256GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial m4 256 mSATA Samsung 840 500GB Intel BXHTS1155LP Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Lian Li PC-Q05B Logitech M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 EVGA GTX 460 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Silverstone ST45SF 450W Silverstone Sugo SG05B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Biostar TH55B HD MSI GT 240 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel X25-M 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x86 Samsung 22" Antec EA-380D 
Case
Rosewill R101-P-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: SSD
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › How often would a SSD stop working?