Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Transferring license to a new motherboard...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Transferring license to a new motherboard...

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
So I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit, and I'm upgrading my motherboard in the very near future. I have the system builder's pack, in which I know I can transfer the license. So do I just reinstall Windows on the new board, and when I activate the license does it disable the license on the old motherboard? Or do I have to call Microsoft and transfer it? If so, do I transfer the license before I put it on the new motherboard? Or do I call them when I'm activating the license on the new board? Please help redface.gif
post #2 of 8
What board are you switching to?
I mean I know its not P.C., and I will probably be burned at the stake by everyone.. But as long as its "close" to the same ( i.e. both intel chipset, etc ).. Just swap the boards. I do it all the time, this is probably the 4th board Ive ran on this install of windows 7 on my daily rig.. Just when it boots up first time, Has to install drivers like any other install. But given its not too far different, It should just work..
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capwn View Post

What board are you switching to?
I mean I know its not P.C., and I will probably be burned at the stake by everyone.. But as long as its "close" to the same ( i.e. both intel chipset, etc ).. Just swap the boards. I do it all the time, this is probably the 4th board Ive ran on this install of windows 7 on my daily rig.. Just when it boots up first time, Has to install drivers like any other install. But given its not too far different, It should just work..
I'm going from an M2N-SLi Deluxe to an ASUS M4N75TD. AM2 to AM3, new processor and ram. I guess I could just try it and see what happens.
post #4 of 8
Bet you a dollar it boots right up into windows.. Installs drivers.. Reboot ( might need to do this twice as some things need chipset drivers installed first before they work/show up ).. But Ive never had an issue, with the setups being so similar I highly doubt you will either... Good luck and report back smile.gifthumb.gif
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capwn View Post

Bet you a dollar it boots right up into windows.. Installs drivers.. Reboot ( might need to do this twice as some things need chipset drivers installed first before they work/show up ).. But Ive never had an issue, with the setups being so similar I highly doubt you will either... Good luck and report back smile.gifthumb.gif
Sure thing! Might as well try the easiest thing first biggrin.gif I'll probably have my parts in sometime this week I hope. This really helps because I don't have a backup drive redface.gif
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillThePancake View Post

So I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit, and I'm upgrading my motherboard in the very near future. I have the system builder's pack, in which I know I can transfer the license. So do I just reinstall Windows on the new board, and when I activate the license does it disable the license on the old motherboard? Or do I have to call Microsoft and transfer it? If so, do I transfer the license before I put it on the new motherboard? Or do I call them when I'm activating the license on the new board? Please help redface.gif

Instead of re-installing and going through the hassle, you can try this:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/135077-windows-7-installation-transfer-new-computer.html ==> Method One.

Hope that helps. biggrin.gif
Main Rig
(15 items)
 
Backup Rig
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3470 Gigabyte B75-Based Mobo ATI 7700 Kingston 8GB DDR3-1600 (2x4GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
500GB Seagate SATA & 500GB W.D. SATA Samsung DVD-RW (SATA) Stock Cooling Windows 7 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Samsung 22" LCD Display (1650x1080) Silverstone Strider PLUS ST60F-P Antec 300 A4Tech 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer Onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 P5KPL-AM EPU 256MB ASUS 7300GT (DDR2) Kingston 3GB (1GB+2GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
80GB W.D. SATA LG DVD-RW Stock Cooling Windows XP Professional 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
17" CTX LCD (1280x1024) Enermax EG365P-VE Generic Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(15 items)
 
Backup Rig
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3470 Gigabyte B75-Based Mobo ATI 7700 Kingston 8GB DDR3-1600 (2x4GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
500GB Seagate SATA & 500GB W.D. SATA Samsung DVD-RW (SATA) Stock Cooling Windows 7 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Samsung 22" LCD Display (1650x1080) Silverstone Strider PLUS ST60F-P Antec 300 A4Tech 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer Onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 P5KPL-AM EPU 256MB ASUS 7300GT (DDR2) Kingston 3GB (1GB+2GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
80GB W.D. SATA LG DVD-RW Stock Cooling Windows XP Professional 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
17" CTX LCD (1280x1024) Enermax EG365P-VE Generic Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capwn View Post

What board are you switching to?
I mean I know its not P.C., and I will probably be burned at the stake by everyone.. But as long as its "close" to the same ( i.e. both intel chipset, etc ).. Just swap the boards. I do it all the time, this is probably the 4th board Ive ran on this install of windows 7 on my daily rig.. Just when it boots up first time, Has to install drivers like any other install. But given its not too far different, It should just work..

I have tried this before with two identical mother boards with the same version bios (P55A-UD3) and windows still wanted me to re activate within 3 days so he is still going to have to reactivate. So why not do a fresh install since you have to activate anyways, besides, it will be better since you going from one platform to another to get the maximum performance benefits.
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Well guys, Windows activated with no problem. Turns out it wasn't that big of a deal switching boards. Just reinstalled and it activated just fine.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Windows
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Transferring license to a new motherboard...