Hey guys. I really need some help finding a case... it seems like if I want something made right, out of metal with enough 120mm fan holes I have to pay some ridiculous premium.... and that kind of case used to be more standard than it is now.
Edited by Drahadis - 9/17/13 at 12:04pm
- Quality: Please, only well made cases. The last few cases I bought had some pretty bad flaws in them. With my last, an Antec 1200, the drive assembly was just annoying and time consuming, the mesh is a nightmare to clean and you have to take it apart to do so which is time consuming, and the back plate for the on/off and reset switches and rows of USB/Sata/Audio sockets in the front broke, so they go inside the computer when you try to use them. The one before that had a door that constantly broke, paint that scratched if you so much as breathed on it, and thermal sensors that all broke within five minutes and as a result the alarm wouldn't shut the hell up so I had to deactivate the entire built-in thermal unit. Please, I don't want another poorly made case! Not again!!!!
- Material: Needs to be metal or tough plastic, no cheap plastic/paint that breaks or marks up/scratches really easily.
- Color: Please no bright or neon/pastel colors, dark colors only. Black, grey, off black, or other dark colors, etc.
- Fan Ports: I need enough fans for two closed loop water coolers. (GPU & CPU) I may need 2 or 3 120mm fans for that, I don't know yet. But I also need additional fans for intake and exhaust. So, 2 or 3 on top, 1 in the front, and 1 in the back would be nice. I have a new hole saw for 120mm fans so I can cut some into a window for additional intakes to blow cool air directly onto the RAM and Video Card. (The GPU closed loop cooler still uses are to cool the video memory)
- Window: Case needs to already have a window, but please no fancy odd shaped windows. I need a standard window so I can replace the plastic with a sheet of plexiglass I can easily customize, and I only have the tools to make rectangular or square cuts. The window can't attach strangely, it needs to use screws with screw holes in the metal or I can't use a sheet of plexiglass. Sorry but no I don't like adding windows to a windowless case because I like clean metal edges. I don't have the tools or experience to make that, or the extra cash to pay someone to do it. I asked what it costs at the local metal working place, and it STARTS at $100 and goes up from there depending on the job and how nice you want it. Window needs to face left, so no I can't use one of those right sided cases where the mobo is rotated 180 degrees.
- Price: I need to stay at least under $250. I want to go lower than that, but I understand quality costs extra money... especially these days. I'd rather spend most of my money on a good video card.
- Size: I don't need a giant monster case, I've decided not to use custom water cooling. Too expensive and time consuming for the situation I'm going to be in soon. Full is fine, as long as we don't go overboard.
- Lights: Please no LED's. Its sitting next to my TV, and that is going to be a really annoying distraction when I'm watching it in the dark. I don't want flashy lights or glowing details or strips of light bars on it. I don't use stock fans, so LED fans aren't an issue. I'll be replacing them with Deltas.
I've been looking non-stop for a week now and so far I either hate, can't afford, or don't like everything. Problems I've seen with a lot of cases, is cheap plastic outer bodies, WAY too much mesh which is a freakin nightmare to clean, bright lights, none or not enough wire management, not enough fan ports, and a big one which is windows that don't attach with standard screws or are shaped strangely (I need to replace it with a customized sheet of plexiglass). I really need some help... I feel like giving up.
Seems like if you want something done right these days, you have to pay a lot extra for it which is bull*****. What happened? Why did everyone suddenly get so lazy to the point where they won't do something right unless you make it worth their time with a big wad of cash? I can't even buy quality food these days without paying a premium.
Edited by Drahadis - 9/17/13 at 12:04pm