Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › New 990x and FX8350...booted back into my old Windows before I could stop it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New 990x and FX8350...booted back into my old Windows before I could stop it.

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
This is just unexpected. I didn't plug my keyboard into the port all the way, and it rebooted right back into windows (from my 880g board) and started updating the drivers and what not.

I am gonna tinker around on here for a while and see if everything works, but should I go ahead and do a clean install?
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1898 View Post

This is just unexpected. I didn't plug my keyboard into the port all the way, and it rebooted right back into windows (from my 880g board) and started updating the drivers and what not.

I am gonna tinker around on here for a while and see if everything works, but should I go ahead and do a clean install?

Honestly yes you should but, If you would like to play around a bit for a couple days to see how it acts I don't think that would be a problem. It has always been the best practice to re-install the OS with a new board and even sometimes a new add in card.

I have done both and found as long as the boards are same chipset from same mfg usually you aren't too bad off. However again safe-bet and best practice is yes clean install.

did that make sense? I have been coding in HTML and CSS for about three hours now and it is pretty late.

If you do go ahead and keep this install for a couple days to a week, Let me know. I would love to see what happens with that different of a board. Who knows you may prove the best practice wrong.

Subd
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayford5 View Post

Honestly yes you should but, If you would like to play around a bit for a couple days to see how it acts I don't think that would be a problem. It has always been the best practice to re-install the OS with a new board and even sometimes a new add in card.

I have done both and found as long as the boards are same chipset from same mfg usually you aren't too bad off. However again safe-bet and best practice is yes clean install.

did that make sense? I have been coding in HTML and CSS for about three hours now and it is pretty late.

If you do go ahead and keep this install for a couple days to a week, Let me know. I would love to see what happens with that different of a board. Who knows you may prove the best practice wrong.

Subd


It made sense. This is just kind of funny. I just played some Star Trek Online and have been running some programs from my previous build. No issues. I probably will re-install in a few days, after I've made sure the new hardware is running properly.
post #4 of 9
It will be fine, I've migrated a Windows 7 install from 11 different computers of varying chipsets with no ill effects. If it doesn't BSOD right away, just install the new drivers you need and go on your merry way. The only time I will wipe it if it was working like that is if there was something obviously wrong, 7 and 8 are pretty smart about drivers.
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
All I've had to do was reactivate Windows, which went along without a hitch.
post #6 of 9
If everything is working, it will probably be fine. When I switched from Athlon II x2 with am3 mobo to the fx8320 with 990fx chipset mobo, I got a bsod right away even though I have uninstalled every driver that I could before doing this, so I was forced to do a reinstall of windows.
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion49 View Post

It will be fine, I've migrated a Windows 7 install from 11 different computers of varying chipsets with no ill effects. If it doesn't BSOD right away, just install the new drivers you need and go on your merry way. The only time I will wipe it if it was working like that is if there was something obviously wrong, 7 and 8 are pretty smart about drivers.

this is the joy of windows 7, the only issues are small like old chipset and sound drivers.
Gaming Rig
(17 items)
 
File Server
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 4790K ASUS Z97-WS Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
16 Gb's Mushkin DDR3 @ 1600 MHz Crucial M500 SSD 240gb 4 Seagate Cheetah 15.7 15k rpm 300Gb Drives in... Coolit ECO C240 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Windows 7 Ultimate ASUS PB287Q 4K Monitor HTC Vive Coolermaster Silent Pro M 1000W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra Razer Deathadder 2013 Steelseries Qck Mass Super Thick Cloth Mouse Pad Genius SW-G2.1 1250 4PC Gaming Speakers 
Other
Dell PERC H310 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Core i3 2120 Supermicro X9SCM-F 4 Gb Kingston 1600mhz DDR3 ECC 12 Segate 2tb drives (RAID 6) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
ADATA SP600 SSD 24 Toshiba DT01ACA200 drives (2 RAID 6's) Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. OCZ ZT750 Supermicro PWS-665-PQ 
CaseOtherOtherOther
Norco 4020 and Norco 4224 LSI 9260-4i Raid Card Intel RES2SV240 20 port Expander. HP SAS 24 por... Voltaire 410Ex Hca Infiniband HBA 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(17 items)
 
File Server
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 4790K ASUS Z97-WS Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
16 Gb's Mushkin DDR3 @ 1600 MHz Crucial M500 SSD 240gb 4 Seagate Cheetah 15.7 15k rpm 300Gb Drives in... Coolit ECO C240 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Windows 7 Ultimate ASUS PB287Q 4K Monitor HTC Vive Coolermaster Silent Pro M 1000W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra Razer Deathadder 2013 Steelseries Qck Mass Super Thick Cloth Mouse Pad Genius SW-G2.1 1250 4PC Gaming Speakers 
Other
Dell PERC H310 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Core i3 2120 Supermicro X9SCM-F 4 Gb Kingston 1600mhz DDR3 ECC 12 Segate 2tb drives (RAID 6) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
ADATA SP600 SSD 24 Toshiba DT01ACA200 drives (2 RAID 6's) Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. OCZ ZT750 Supermicro PWS-665-PQ 
CaseOtherOtherOther
Norco 4020 and Norco 4224 LSI 9260-4i Raid Card Intel RES2SV240 20 port Expander. HP SAS 24 por... Voltaire 410Ex Hca Infiniband HBA 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1898 View Post

All I've had to do was reactivate Windows, which went along without a hitch.

Awesome and great to hear. Like I said it is just the best-practice to re-install. Whether you do or not is completely up to you. I have been interested because I am switching from one board to another on my main rig and don't really feel like a clean install at this time. Countless posters here have told me I am an idiot and shouldn't try it. Now I pretty much have my go ahead as soon as I get my new board.

biggrin.gif

1+ for being braver than I am.
post #9 of 9
Ive always done a clean install myself as well. Just always felt it was a better way to do it. When I went from my ASRock 780G motherboard to this Sabertooth 990FX, it wouldnt even boot into Windows so I had no choice.

Even if it does boot into Windows fine, Id still reinstall just to feel a little better about it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD - General
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › New 990x and FX8350...booted back into my old Windows before I could stop it.