Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [Fudzilla] Broadwell won’t make it to desktop
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Fudzilla] Broadwell won’t make it to desktop - Page 11

post #101 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutuz View Post

Both of those examples you provided are much more GPU limited than CPU limited...

There is no difference when talking about their hardware advances. They are both almost solely depended on transistor technology ('almost' because there is also hardware design involved but we can assume that all big players are good designers).
PC
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K 4.6G 1.24v/1.74v, 5.1G 1.35v validation. GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 Tri-X R9 290 1100/1350 +0.012v G.Skill 2400 c10 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
Noctua NH-D15 24EA53 IPS 76Hz OC EVGA 1000 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Pro 
Audio
SoundMagic E10 
  hide details  
Reply
PC
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K 4.6G 1.24v/1.74v, 5.1G 1.35v validation. GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 Tri-X R9 290 1100/1350 +0.012v G.Skill 2400 c10 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
Noctua NH-D15 24EA53 IPS 76Hz OC EVGA 1000 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Pro 
Audio
SoundMagic E10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #102 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by fateswarm View Post

There is no difference when talking about their hardware advances. They are both almost solely depended on transistor technology ('almost' because there is also hardware design involved but we can assume that all big players are good designers).

Except the point was that CPU performance matters very little in gaming these days, hence why you still have people using Nehalem or Phenom II fine...It's only dual GPU or RTS that generally shows the difference.
post #103 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutuz View Post

Except the point was that CPU performance matters very little in gaming these days, hence why you still have people using Nehalem or Phenom II fine...It's only dual GPU or RTS that generally shows the difference.

That's because the PCI-E bus is extremely slow compared to VRAM<->GPU intercommunication. The OpenGL and DirectX have been doing one thing for the last 20 years, offload more stuff to the GPU, and offload more stuff to the GPU, and guess what, let's offload more stuff to the GPU.
PC
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K 4.6G 1.24v/1.74v, 5.1G 1.35v validation. GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 Tri-X R9 290 1100/1350 +0.012v G.Skill 2400 c10 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
Noctua NH-D15 24EA53 IPS 76Hz OC EVGA 1000 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Pro 
Audio
SoundMagic E10 
  hide details  
Reply
PC
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K 4.6G 1.24v/1.74v, 5.1G 1.35v validation. GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 Tri-X R9 290 1100/1350 +0.012v G.Skill 2400 c10 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
Noctua NH-D15 24EA53 IPS 76Hz OC EVGA 1000 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Pro 
Audio
SoundMagic E10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #104 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by fateswarm View Post

That's because the PCI-E bus is extremely slow compared to VRAM<->GPU intercommunication. The OpenGL and DirectX have been doing one thing for the last 20 years, offload more stuff to the GPU, and offload more stuff to the GPU, and guess what, let's offload more stuff to the GPU.

And because games have been improving graphics much more than AI, physics, etc for a while now.
As it gets harder to improve graphics, we'll see the CPU play a more important part in gaming.
post #105 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutuz View Post

And because games have been improving graphics much more than AI, physics, etc for a while now.
As it gets harder to improve graphics, we'll see the CPU play a more important part in gaming.

Do they require a CPU for that? Because my impression is that GPU makers try to keep their stronghold of video game domination by supporting anything a game needs on their own hardware, they will even add a GENERAL PURPOSE PROCESSOR in the next NVIDIA GPU! I almost hope a new extremely fast PCI bus is invented that makes offloading everything to the GPU unnecessary, 'almost' because Intel also has its fair share of monopolizing.
PC
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K 4.6G 1.24v/1.74v, 5.1G 1.35v validation. GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 Tri-X R9 290 1100/1350 +0.012v G.Skill 2400 c10 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
Noctua NH-D15 24EA53 IPS 76Hz OC EVGA 1000 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Pro 
Audio
SoundMagic E10 
  hide details  
Reply
PC
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K 4.6G 1.24v/1.74v, 5.1G 1.35v validation. GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 Tri-X R9 290 1100/1350 +0.012v G.Skill 2400 c10 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
Noctua NH-D15 24EA53 IPS 76Hz OC EVGA 1000 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Pro 
Audio
SoundMagic E10 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [Fudzilla] Broadwell won’t make it to desktop