Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [BGR] iPhone 5s slaughters quad-core rivals in performance tests despite dual-core CPU and just 1GB of RAM
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[BGR] iPhone 5s slaughters quad-core rivals in performance tests despite dual-core CPU and just 1GB of RAM - Page 7

post #61 of 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaggio1103 View Post

This is a prime example of a android fan spouting misinformation without knowing what he's even talking about.

iPhone 5 uses Corning Gorilla Glass.......Has since its inception. LMAO
Hmm that surprises me that it breaks so easily then... Maybe it should be a bit thicker. Either way the Iphone's screen cracks so easily its prevented me from buying one for years. That along with the absurd pricetag. Why would I pay more money for something that is known to break?
And no, I'm not an Andriod fanboy, I am neutral and don't care what my phone is, as long as it serves my purposes for the allotted contract (being 2 years). No im not extremely informed about Iphones, but I'm not too informed about phones in general to be fair. I only know the stuff on mine because I own it.

But just imagine if Apple used the stuff in my Galaxy S3 or from the HTC One in the new Iphone with the IOS. That would be an insanely fast phone.
Black Jarvis V1
(22 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Jarvis V1
(22 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #62 of 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

They may be single threaded but it's time Android became a fully multitask OS and those four threads a lot of phones come with are put to use, even if it's running one program per thread.

yeah because all that screen space is ideal for multitasking? what these devices needs i more battery life and faster internet, not pointless features or trying to "all-in-one" devices for things they are not suited for
post #63 of 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDadditiv View Post

Hmm that surprises me that it breaks so easily then... Maybe it should be a bit thicker. Either way the Iphone's screen cracks so easily its prevented me from buying one for years. That along with the absurd pricetag. Why would I pay more money for something that is known to break?
And no, I'm not an Andriod fanboy, I am neutral and don't care what my phone is, as long as it serves my purposes for the allotted contract (being 2 years). No im not extremely informed about Iphones, but I'm not too informed about phones in general to be fair. I only know the stuff on mine because I own it.

But just imagine if Apple used the stuff in my Galaxy S3 or from the HTC One in the new Iphone with the IOS. That would be an insanely fast phone.

Base Android S4 costs more than an iPhone 5 off contract ( not much, but still more ), and both are the same on contract... headscratch.gif

Out of all my iPhones, none have broken screen. Out of all my Android phones... 2 have broken screens. And I've only ever used 1 Windows phone so can't really say much on that front.

All I can say is why are you worried about screens breaking? Don't drop it so much then, or buy a decent case ( otterbox ) for your phone. If those fail then that's what being on contracts/insurance are good for, take it up to your service provider and get it replaced. Or go back to a `dumb` phone that's built like a brick and never breaks...
Edited by Shrak - 9/19/13 at 10:44am
post #64 of 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectblade View Post

android fanboys are so great: "it's better even if it's worse." "not working out of the box is better because more work is better." "malware is teh best"

Yeah, because there is so much malware on stock and custom builds of android, it simply can't be the USER's fault? right? Please take your lies elsewhere.
post #65 of 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaggio1103 View Post

headscratch.gif Why do people keep saying this? android is not a phone its a operating system, your point fails to have logic...... Comparing on same OS is impossible just about and pointless. So your saying the only reason apple is winning is because it has an OS advantage.......how is that apples fault. LOL
Fu8nny cause I have owned 3 iPhone 5 phones, and each member in my family (excluding my wife) has the 5 and not a single instance of what you describe has been reported. Not saying the iPhone is not without its flaws, but if something like that where happening on a scale that mattered im pretty sure we would have heard about it.
Except we still see quad cores beating 8 cores constantly, so not really that valid of a point. However lets say you are right, by the time software catches up the iPhone 5/5s and the galaxy s4 ect will be obsolete anyways. So as the question stands right now, performance wise iPhone wins hands down.

Heres your proof of the locking issue: http://community.vodafone.com.au/t5/Ye-iPhones/iPhone-5-home-amp-lock-buttons-unresponsive/td-p/218008

People have heard of it you just haven't had it happen to you so you wouldn't know about it unless you researched this kind of stuff heavily or of course it happens to you.
post #66 of 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDadditiv View Post

Hmm that surprises me that it breaks so easily then... Maybe it should be a bit thicker. Either way the Iphone's screen cracks so easily its prevented me from buying one for years. That along with the absurd pricetag. Why would I pay more money for something that is known to break?
And no, I'm not an Andriod fanboy, I am neutral and don't care what my phone is, as long as it serves my purposes for the allotted contract (being 2 years). No im not extremely informed about Iphones, but I'm not too informed about phones in general to be fair. I only know the stuff on mine because I own it.

But just imagine if Apple used the stuff in my Galaxy S3 or from the HTC One in the new Iphone with the IOS. That would be an insanely fast phone.

Dude multiple sites show drops tests supporting the iphone 5 is better quality than the s3 and ties the s4 in most cases.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNIn0BAUjv4
DOTA BOX
(7 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i3 4130 GTX 860M +135 Core +600Mem 16GB HyperX Impact 250GB Adata SSD 
MonitorAudio
DELL IPS 1920x1080 Logitech G933 
  hide details  
Reply
DOTA BOX
(7 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i3 4130 GTX 860M +135 Core +600Mem 16GB HyperX Impact 250GB Adata SSD 
MonitorAudio
DELL IPS 1920x1080 Logitech G933 
  hide details  
Reply
post #67 of 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaggio1103 View Post

Dude multiple sites show drops tests supporting the iphone 5 is better quality than the s3 and ties the s4 in most cases.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNIn0BAUjv4
Well at the same time, how many Androids do you see broken compared to Iphones? Maybe the build quality is different in Canada compared to the US. Personally, all my friends except for two (out of about 14 people) who have Iphones have a cracked screen or a cracked back. The worst Android screen I've seen out of them is my buddy who has a scratch across the front of it. Its large and noticable but it hasnt cracked yet. Just speaking out of what I've seen.
Black Jarvis V1
(22 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Jarvis V1
(22 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #68 of 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDadditiv View Post

Well at the same time, how many Androids do you see broken compared to Iphones? Maybe the build quality is different in Canada compared to the US. Personally, all my friends except for two (out of about 14 people) who have Iphones have a cracked screen or a cracked back. The worst Android screen I've seen out of them is my buddy who has a scratch across the front of it. Its large and noticable but it hasnt cracked yet. Just speaking out of what I've seen.

The difference is people that buy iPhone pay so much for the iPhone that they are so broke that they cant replace the screen biggrin.gif.
Ishimura
(23 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H [F16G] AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB @ 1175MHz/1500MHz AMD Radeon R9 16GB DDR3-2400MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB EK-Supreme HF - Full Nickel Phobya G-Changer 360 v1.2 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Black Ice GTX Xtreme 240 12x GentleTyphoon AP-15 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer BlackWidow Chroma  Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 Black Logitech G502 Proteus Core 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large Audioengine D1 DAC Logitech Z-2300 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 
AudioAudioAudio
Sennheiser HD 598 Sony XB950BT TTPOD T1-E IEM 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Reply
Ishimura
(23 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H [F16G] AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB @ 1175MHz/1500MHz AMD Radeon R9 16GB DDR3-2400MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB EK-Supreme HF - Full Nickel Phobya G-Changer 360 v1.2 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Black Ice GTX Xtreme 240 12x GentleTyphoon AP-15 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer BlackWidow Chroma  Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 Black Logitech G502 Proteus Core 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large Audioengine D1 DAC Logitech Z-2300 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 
AudioAudioAudio
Sennheiser HD 598 Sony XB950BT TTPOD T1-E IEM 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Reply
post #69 of 418
And yet it's somehow slower than the 5 in some cases.... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Still, interesting results. The main problem right now is that there aren't any apps (other than benchmarks) that actually USE this power. IMO we've gotten to a point where the hardware is so much further ahead than the software devs, that it's become pointless. Look at the S3 to S4. On benchmarks, the upgrade was pretty big. In the real world, both phones get ~60fps in everything.

On desktops/laptops it makes sense: faster CPU = faster render times (3Ds, C4D, etc.), faster GPU = higher framerates (because 120+ in all games on max isn't possible yet), and so on. In phones we've hit the cap. It's not going to stop me upgrading every 2-3 years, but it's not an insane upgrade like it was a few years ago.


Yes, yes, pursuit of performance, etc. But to what end? We're not folding on phones or running Crysis 3 with 16xAA....


In any event, the Galaxy S5, HTC Two (?), and so on will just take the crown back in 4-6 months. Then the iPhone 6 will take it back, etc... It's tick-tock. Android has the first half of the year, iPhone the second.
Edited by doomlord52 - 9/19/13 at 11:13am
Base2
(21 items)
 
Edi
(13 items)
 
Zenbook
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600k @ 4.75ghz @ 1.352v Asus p8p67 Deluxe Asus GTX 970 Strix ADATA XPG1 (2x8gb) @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2x OCZ Agility 3  2x Toshiba 2tb Sata 3 OCZ Vertex 2 Seagate Barracuda 500gb 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
LG Blu-Ray-RW  Corsair H70 3x Corsair AF 120 Silent Edition 2x AF 140 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium Asus VG248QE Asus VG248QE Ducky Shine 3 (MX Black) 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair AX 1200 Corsair 450D Razer Deathadder 2013 Creative X-FI Titanium HD 
Other
Sennheiser PC 350 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i7 740QM GTX 460m 2x 4gb DDR3 OCZ Agility 3 
OSMonitor
Windows 7 x64 15.1" (1920x1080) 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i3 2367M Intel HD 3000 4GB DDR3 Hitachi HDD 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
SanDisk SSD Windows 7 Home Premium x64 13.3" 1366x768 
  hide details  
Reply
Base2
(21 items)
 
Edi
(13 items)
 
Zenbook
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600k @ 4.75ghz @ 1.352v Asus p8p67 Deluxe Asus GTX 970 Strix ADATA XPG1 (2x8gb) @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2x OCZ Agility 3  2x Toshiba 2tb Sata 3 OCZ Vertex 2 Seagate Barracuda 500gb 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
LG Blu-Ray-RW  Corsair H70 3x Corsair AF 120 Silent Edition 2x AF 140 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium Asus VG248QE Asus VG248QE Ducky Shine 3 (MX Black) 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair AX 1200 Corsair 450D Razer Deathadder 2013 Creative X-FI Titanium HD 
Other
Sennheiser PC 350 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i7 740QM GTX 460m 2x 4gb DDR3 OCZ Agility 3 
OSMonitor
Windows 7 x64 15.1" (1920x1080) 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i3 2367M Intel HD 3000 4GB DDR3 Hitachi HDD 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
SanDisk SSD Windows 7 Home Premium x64 13.3" 1366x768 
  hide details  
Reply
post #70 of 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomlord52 View Post

And yet it's somehow slower than the 5 in some cases.... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Still, interesting results. The main problem right now is that there aren't any apps (other than benchmarks) that actually USE this power. IMO we've gotten to a point where the hardware is so much further ahead than the software devs, that it's become pointless. Look at the S3 to S4. On benchmarks, the upgrade was pretty big. In the real world, both phones get ~60fps in everything.

On desktops/laptops it makes sense: faster CPU = faster render times (3Ds, C4D, etc.), faster GPU = higher framerates (because 120+ in all games on max isn't possible yet), and so on. In phones we've hit the cap. It's not going to stop me upgrading every 2-3 years, but it's not an insane upgrade like it was a few years ago.

these are tiny devices not suited to complex tasks. it's not really surprising that they managed to max out the benefits of performance improvements so quickly. nowadays when you buy a new device you are basically paying for software support
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [BGR] iPhone 5s slaughters quad-core rivals in performance tests despite dual-core CPU and just 1GB of RAM