Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Case Mods › Help Regarding Installing leds to Case fans
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help Regarding Installing leds to Case fans - Page 2

post #11 of 19
Wire your LEDs to the 12 volt line on your MOLEX plugs, a 5.2K resistor gives you 2.3 volts after which is just about perfect. You will need to wire each LED in parallel in order for it to work, so each LED needs a connection to the +12 and -12 lines on your MOLEX plug.
Lenovo E540
(10 items)
 
Plex Server
(11 items)
 
Main Rig
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4702M 20C6008QUS Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 Thinkpad DDR3 Laptop RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSCase
Samsung 840 Pro Lenovo DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer Windows 7 Professional Lenovo E540 
MouseOther
E540 UltraNav with FingerPrint Reader Intel Wireless-N 7260 2X2 BGN+Bluetooth 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G3420 Gigabyte H81M-S2PV G.Skill Value Series 4TB Western Digital Green 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG GH20NS15 Intel Heatsink Ubuntu 12.04LTS Insignia 19 inch 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech K400 Corsair CX430 Zaleman ZM-T2 
  hide details  
Reply
Lenovo E540
(10 items)
 
Plex Server
(11 items)
 
Main Rig
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4702M 20C6008QUS Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 Thinkpad DDR3 Laptop RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSCase
Samsung 840 Pro Lenovo DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer Windows 7 Professional Lenovo E540 
MouseOther
E540 UltraNav with FingerPrint Reader Intel Wireless-N 7260 2X2 BGN+Bluetooth 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G3420 Gigabyte H81M-S2PV G.Skill Value Series 4TB Western Digital Green 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG GH20NS15 Intel Heatsink Ubuntu 12.04LTS Insignia 19 inch 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech K400 Corsair CX430 Zaleman ZM-T2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 19
And each LED will need a resistor.
post #13 of 19
Thread Starter 
Sorry to say,but im not that much educated.
I run a small computer shop to support my family.
It would be great if you can show to step-to-step instruction.
I'm really sorry for this. frown.gif
post #14 of 19
*I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU BREAK SOMETHING TRYING THIS* If you are in over your head, take a step back and decide if its worth it. Anyways, on with the tutorial.

You will need, at the very least, a soldering iron (Pen style like that one is fine, and inexpensive), some flux core solder wire, quite a lot of normal wire, electrical tape, some glue (hot glue is fine), and your LEDs + resistors*. You also need some way to make a hole in the side of the fan, like a drill with a plastic cutting bit. Make sure the bit is about the same width as the LED, but a little wider is fine.

* EACH LED needs a resistor, otherwise this system wont work. Dont be afraid to cut resistor wires shorter, they work no matter what way they are used. LEDs are a diode, so be careful how you install those as they only work one way.

First, drill four (or more, if you want more LEDs in the fan. Four is standard) evenly spaced holes into the side casing of the fan.

The red lines represent where you CAREFULLY drill to make the holes. Be very careful not to hit the plastic blades, hurting the blades means more noise and less life.

Once your holes are drilled, slot the LEDs into place. Dont glue them, just put them in to make your wire length. Run two wires, both need to wrap around the whole fan.

The yellow line represents 1 of 2 wires that need to go all the way around the fan. Note how it is one strand of wire, and it doesnt connect to itself. That is important, and the shorter end could be cut off after the last LED to make the wire last longer as well as look cleaner


Super basic soldering guide for the next step (Basically heat the two things you want to join (wire and LED leg in this case) melt solder to attach the two heated parts, remove solder wire, allow joint to cool).

Next up is getting the LEDs installed and wired up. Slot the LEDs back into place, no glue again. Make sure all of them face one way, say flat spot to the left. This keeps your + and - on the correct side, so you dont have any wired backwards. solder all of the legs on one side to one of the wires you just made, and all of the legs on the other side to the second wire. these two wires MUST NOT TOUCH. Now let the solder cool,

Now, assuming all of your LEDs have the same resistor you posted, they need to run in parallel to a 12V power source. A spare Molex plug can be used for this.
Molex pinout, pay careful attention to the way the plug is oriented. You want the +12 and the GND for your uses. Either GND works, both do the same thing. Two ways to go about hooking up your LEDs for power, the cleaner way and the less clean way

Cleaner way: Insert the wire into the correct plug on the molex, solder wire to the plug. Looks a little nicer, but is a lot harder to do without messing up the plastic housing.

Messy yet effective way: Chop the molex plug off, solder the wire directly to the wire it needs to hook up too (+ to +, - to -) and then insulate all of the bare connections with electrical tape.

Either way you do it, you now need to go back and ensure you see no wire poking out. If its exposed, put electrical tape on it.

Final step, put a blob of hot glue to hold the LED in place, and your newly lighted LED fan (Assuming everything is correct) should light up when you turn on the computer. The fan itself needs some form of power as well, your extra LEDs dont pull power from the fan.


That all looks complex, but once you have your parts in front of you it will make a lot more sense. Take your time, double check your LEDs all line up properly and are plugged into the right part of the Molex, and make sure you leave no bare wire exposed. Good luck thumb.gif And if you don't understand something, ask for clarification. Id rather explain something in more detail than have you assume something incorrect and have it not work.
Edited by M3nta1 - 9/29/13 at 9:14pm
Lenovo E540
(10 items)
 
Plex Server
(11 items)
 
Main Rig
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4702M 20C6008QUS Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 Thinkpad DDR3 Laptop RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSCase
Samsung 840 Pro Lenovo DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer Windows 7 Professional Lenovo E540 
MouseOther
E540 UltraNav with FingerPrint Reader Intel Wireless-N 7260 2X2 BGN+Bluetooth 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G3420 Gigabyte H81M-S2PV G.Skill Value Series 4TB Western Digital Green 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG GH20NS15 Intel Heatsink Ubuntu 12.04LTS Insignia 19 inch 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech K400 Corsair CX430 Zaleman ZM-T2 
  hide details  
Reply
Lenovo E540
(10 items)
 
Plex Server
(11 items)
 
Main Rig
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4702M 20C6008QUS Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 Thinkpad DDR3 Laptop RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSCase
Samsung 840 Pro Lenovo DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer Windows 7 Professional Lenovo E540 
MouseOther
E540 UltraNav with FingerPrint Reader Intel Wireless-N 7260 2X2 BGN+Bluetooth 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G3420 Gigabyte H81M-S2PV G.Skill Value Series 4TB Western Digital Green 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG GH20NS15 Intel Heatsink Ubuntu 12.04LTS Insignia 19 inch 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech K400 Corsair CX430 Zaleman ZM-T2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3nta1 View Post

*I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU BREAK SOMETHING TRYING THIS* If you are in over your head, take a step back and decide if its worth it. Anyways, on with the tutorial.

You will need, at the very least, a soldering iron (Pen style like that one is fine, and inexpensive), some flux core solder wire, quite a lot of normal wire, electrical tape, some glue (hot glue is fine), and your LEDs + resistors*. You also need some way to make a hole in the side of the fan, like a drill with a plastic cutting bit. Make sure the bit is about the same width as the LED, but a little wider is fine.

* EACH LED needs a resistor, otherwise this system wont work. Dont be afraid to cut resistor wires shorter, they work no matter what way they are used. LEDs are a diode, so be careful how you install those as they only work one way.

First, drill four (or more, if you want more LEDs in the fan. Four is standard) evenly spaced holes into the side casing of the fan.

The red lines represent where you CAREFULLY drill to make the holes. Be very careful not to hit the plastic blades, hurting the blades means more noise and less life.

Once your holes are drilled, slot the LEDs into place. Dont glue them, just put them in to make your wire length. Run two wires, both need to wrap around the whole fan.

The yellow line represents 1 of 2 wires that need to go all the way around the fan. Note how it is one strand of wire, and it doesnt connect to itself. That is important, and the shorter end could be cut off after the last LED to make the wire last longer as well as look cleaner


Super basic soldering guide for the next step (Basically heat the two things you want to join (wire and LED leg in this case) melt solder to attach the two heated parts, remove solder wire, allow joint to cool).

Next up is getting the LEDs installed and wired up. Slot the LEDs back into place, no glue again. Make sure all of them face one way, say flat spot to the left. This keeps your + and - on the correct side, so you dont have any wired backwards. solder all of the legs on one side to one of the wires you just made, and all of the legs on the other side to the second wire. these two wires MUST NOT TOUCH. Now let the solder cool,

Now, assuming all of your LEDs have the same resistor you posted, they need to run in parallel to a 12V power source. A spare Molex plug can be used for this.
Molex pinout, pay careful attention to the way the plug is oriented. You want the +12 and the GND for your uses. Either GND works, both do the same thing. Two ways to go about hooking up your LEDs for power, the cleaner way and the less clean way

Cleaner way: Insert the wire into the correct plug on the molex, solder wire to the plug. Looks a little nicer, but is a lot harder to do without messing up the plastic housing.

Messy yet effective way: Chop the molex plug off, solder the wire directly to the wire it needs to hook up too (+ to +, - to -) and then insulate all of the bare connections with electrical tape.

Either way you do it, you now need to go back and ensure you see no wire poking out. If its exposed, put electrical tape on it.

Final step, put a blob of hot glue to hold the LED in place, and your newly lighted LED fan (Assuming everything is correct) should light up when you turn on the computer. The fan itself needs some form of power as well, your extra LEDs dont pull power from the fan.


That all looks complex, but once you have your parts in front of you it will make a lot more sense. Take your time, double check your LEDs all line up properly and are plugged into the right part of the Molex, and make sure you leave no bare wire exposed. Good luck thumb.gif And if you don't understand something, ask for clarification. Id rather explain something in more detail than have you assume something incorrect and have it not work.




I'm very happy that you helped me.
1 more question; What if i do something wrong and the LED pops,will it also damage my motherboard or my fan, or anyother part of my pc?
post #16 of 19
Ive shorted out a PSU on one of my old computers too many times to count, but the worst that should happen is your lights wont light up. Reason being, your fan (and its connection to the motherboard) is not being changed at all, except for the few holes for the LEDs. Its possible to damage your PSU, but as long as you make sure everything is the right way, the two wires dont ever touch each other, and no bare wire is left exposed that shouldn't happen. Im not gonna say it wont, but if you are careful and double check your work it should work as intended thumb.gif
Lenovo E540
(10 items)
 
Plex Server
(11 items)
 
Main Rig
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4702M 20C6008QUS Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 Thinkpad DDR3 Laptop RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSCase
Samsung 840 Pro Lenovo DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer Windows 7 Professional Lenovo E540 
MouseOther
E540 UltraNav with FingerPrint Reader Intel Wireless-N 7260 2X2 BGN+Bluetooth 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G3420 Gigabyte H81M-S2PV G.Skill Value Series 4TB Western Digital Green 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG GH20NS15 Intel Heatsink Ubuntu 12.04LTS Insignia 19 inch 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech K400 Corsair CX430 Zaleman ZM-T2 
  hide details  
Reply
Lenovo E540
(10 items)
 
Plex Server
(11 items)
 
Main Rig
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4702M 20C6008QUS Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 Thinkpad DDR3 Laptop RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSCase
Samsung 840 Pro Lenovo DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer Windows 7 Professional Lenovo E540 
MouseOther
E540 UltraNav with FingerPrint Reader Intel Wireless-N 7260 2X2 BGN+Bluetooth 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G3420 Gigabyte H81M-S2PV G.Skill Value Series 4TB Western Digital Green 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG GH20NS15 Intel Heatsink Ubuntu 12.04LTS Insignia 19 inch 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech K400 Corsair CX430 Zaleman ZM-T2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3nta1 View Post

Ive shorted out a PSU on one of my old computers too many times to count, but the worst that should happen is your lights wont light up. Reason being, your fan (and its connection to the motherboard) is not being changed at all, except for the few holes for the LEDs. Its possible to damage your PSU, but as long as you make sure everything is the right way, the two wires dont ever touch each other, and no bare wire is left exposed that shouldn't happen. Im not gonna say it wont, but if you are careful and double check your work it should work as intended thumb.gif

Then i think i should take out my old pc for testing tongue.gif
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by amman View Post

Then i think i should take out my old pc for testing tongue.gif

A solid plan! thumb.gif Let us know how this turns out, im interested to see how they look
Lenovo E540
(10 items)
 
Plex Server
(11 items)
 
Main Rig
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4702M 20C6008QUS Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 Thinkpad DDR3 Laptop RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSCase
Samsung 840 Pro Lenovo DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer Windows 7 Professional Lenovo E540 
MouseOther
E540 UltraNav with FingerPrint Reader Intel Wireless-N 7260 2X2 BGN+Bluetooth 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G3420 Gigabyte H81M-S2PV G.Skill Value Series 4TB Western Digital Green 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG GH20NS15 Intel Heatsink Ubuntu 12.04LTS Insignia 19 inch 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech K400 Corsair CX430 Zaleman ZM-T2 
  hide details  
Reply
Lenovo E540
(10 items)
 
Plex Server
(11 items)
 
Main Rig
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4702M 20C6008QUS Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 Thinkpad DDR3 Laptop RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSCase
Samsung 840 Pro Lenovo DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer Windows 7 Professional Lenovo E540 
MouseOther
E540 UltraNav with FingerPrint Reader Intel Wireless-N 7260 2X2 BGN+Bluetooth 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G3420 Gigabyte H81M-S2PV G.Skill Value Series 4TB Western Digital Green 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG GH20NS15 Intel Heatsink Ubuntu 12.04LTS Insignia 19 inch 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech K400 Corsair CX430 Zaleman ZM-T2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 19
I've read a cpl tutorials on other sites for doing this cuz I'm doing the same mod for my Akasa Vipers and a cpl GT AP-45's.

HOW TO ADD LEDS TO YOUR FANS

Adding Multiple LED's To A Basic Case Fan

Project Madness

Hope this helps
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k Rampage IV Black Edition w/EK Clean CSQ Block PowerColor 290x BF4 (2 More Coming) G Skill Trident X 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Silverstone Slotload Bluray Burner EK Supremacy Clean CSQ Alphacool XT45 360 XSPC EX360 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool ST30 240 3 x Phobya NB E-Loops (1600RPM) Alphacool UT60 120 (White Edition) 7 x Gentle Typhoon AP-00 (2150) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
3 x Gentle Typhoon AP-15 6 x Phobya G1/4 Inline Temp Sensor Coupler (2 P... Aquacomputer G1/4 High Flow Meter Swiftech MCP35x 
CoolingOSPowerCase
XSPC Photon 170 Reservoir Windows 7 + Linux Antec HCP-1300 Platinum CoolerMaster HAF XB (Modded) 
OtherOtherOtherOther
Silverstone FP58 Thermaltake Max 5 Duo Phobya 6 x 16mm Vandal Switch Plate  6 x 16mm Vandal Switches (ModSmart & Lamptron) 
OtherOther
LC Telios Red/Black Fusion, White, & Gray More To Come... 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k Rampage IV Black Edition w/EK Clean CSQ Block PowerColor 290x BF4 (2 More Coming) G Skill Trident X 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Silverstone Slotload Bluray Burner EK Supremacy Clean CSQ Alphacool XT45 360 XSPC EX360 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool ST30 240 3 x Phobya NB E-Loops (1600RPM) Alphacool UT60 120 (White Edition) 7 x Gentle Typhoon AP-00 (2150) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
3 x Gentle Typhoon AP-15 6 x Phobya G1/4 Inline Temp Sensor Coupler (2 P... Aquacomputer G1/4 High Flow Meter Swiftech MCP35x 
CoolingOSPowerCase
XSPC Photon 170 Reservoir Windows 7 + Linux Antec HCP-1300 Platinum CoolerMaster HAF XB (Modded) 
OtherOtherOtherOther
Silverstone FP58 Thermaltake Max 5 Duo Phobya 6 x 16mm Vandal Switch Plate  6 x 16mm Vandal Switches (ModSmart & Lamptron) 
OtherOther
LC Telios Red/Black Fusion, White, & Gray More To Come... 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Case Mods
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Case Mods › Help Regarding Installing leds to Case fans