Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › samsung evo 840 250 gb x2 in raid 0 vs samsung evo 500 gb on ASUS p8p67 pro
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

samsung evo 840 250 gb x2 in raid 0 vs samsung evo 500 gb on ASUS p8p67 pro

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Hi there, I would like an advice on the matter exposed in the title: I'm in the process of upgrading my ssd storage, with a budget of around 350 €. My motherboard is an ASUS P8P67Pro, so thanks to this I already updated my bios with the correct OROM so that trim is enabled for raid 0 logical drives. Now I'm considering if either it's better to spend my money on a single 500 gb samsung evo 840 or 2x250 gb versions of the same model and put them in raid 0. The prices are about the same. Keep also in mind that since I won't put any critical data on the drives I don't mind about fault tolerance etc... But I've a couple doubts:

1) will my motherboard's controller make raid 0 scale well with 2 drives which are already very fast by themselves? Shouldn't I be worried about the fact that the controller maximum bandwidth may act as a bottleneck in this scenario?

2) will RAPID MODE be able to work with a raid 0 logical drive or samsung utility won't be able to find/act on such drive?

I guess answer to 1) is NO (it won't be a bottleneck) and to 2) is also NO (rapid mode won't work) so...if that's correct: what would give me the most benefit? Raid 0 or RAPID MODE? I ask this because for what I've seen in a couple of review of 840 Evo Rapid Mode effectively doubles bandwidth under certain conditions...while as long as I know raid 0 should always grant the same benefits..

Thanks for your time, any hint would be greatly appreciated!
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3kRulez View Post

Hi there, I would like an advice on the matter exposed in the title: I'm in the process of upgrading my ssd storage, with a budget of around 350 €. My motherboard is an ASUS P8P67Pro, so thanks to this I already updated my bios with the correct OROM so that trim is enabled for raid 0 logical drives. Now I'm considering if either it's better to spend my money on a single 500 gb samsung evo 840 or 2x250 gb versions of the same model and put them in raid 0. The prices are about the same. Keep also in mind that since I won't put any critical data on the drives I don't mind about fault tolerance etc... But I've a couple doubts:

1) will my motherboard's controller make raid 0 scale well with 2 drives which are already very fast by themselves? Shouldn't I be worried about the fact that the controller maximum bandwidth may act as a bottleneck in this scenario?

2) will RAPID MODE be able to work with a raid 0 logical drive or samsung utility won't be able to find/act on such drive?

I guess answer to 1) is NO (it won't be a bottleneck) and to 2) is also NO (rapid mode won't work) so...if that's correct: what would give me the most benefit? Raid 0 or RAPID MODE? I ask this because for what I've seen in a couple of review of 840 Evo Rapid Mode effectively doubles bandwidth under certain conditions...while as long as I know raid 0 should always grant the same benefits..

Thanks for your time, any hint would be greatly appreciated!

What will you mainly be using this set up for? In most scenarios a single drive would do just fine and you really wouldn't see any benefit to the speed increase in raid 0. However, there are some scenarios in which it could help.

All RAPID mode is is a 1GB RAM disk that transfers between the ram and SSD. the SSD speed technically isn't increased.
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
At the end I chose to opt for RAID 0 of 2 x 250GB Samsung 840 EVO. Here's the result with atto benchmark, I guess this is the way to go! _2013-09-24_20-36-27.png 72k .png file

16842
post #4 of 7
nice thumb.gif
Le Main Rig
(17 items)
 
Terrorbyte V2
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 Gigabyte GTX 960 WindForce 2X OC G.SKILL Ripjaws V  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
1050GB Crucial MX300 1050GB Crucial MX300 960GB OCZ RD400 1TB Micron M600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1TB WD Blue Noctua NH-U12S Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit BenQ GW2765HT 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ GW2765HT FUNC KB-460 Corsair RM650 Fractal Design R5 
Mouse
Logitec G500 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon L5520 Intel Xeon L5520 SuperMicro X8DTi-F 48GB Nanya 1066MHz ECC RDIMM 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
128GB Samsung 830 480GB SanDisk Extreme II 2TB WD Red 2TB Samung Spinpoint F4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2TB Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3  3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300 Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 
OSPowerCaseOther
Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter  Corsair 650TX  Norco RPC 4224 LSI 9261-8i 
Other
Intel RES2CV240 
  hide details  
Reply
Le Main Rig
(17 items)
 
Terrorbyte V2
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 Gigabyte GTX 960 WindForce 2X OC G.SKILL Ripjaws V  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
1050GB Crucial MX300 1050GB Crucial MX300 960GB OCZ RD400 1TB Micron M600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1TB WD Blue Noctua NH-U12S Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit BenQ GW2765HT 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ GW2765HT FUNC KB-460 Corsair RM650 Fractal Design R5 
Mouse
Logitec G500 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon L5520 Intel Xeon L5520 SuperMicro X8DTi-F 48GB Nanya 1066MHz ECC RDIMM 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
128GB Samsung 830 480GB SanDisk Extreme II 2TB WD Red 2TB Samung Spinpoint F4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2TB Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3  3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300 Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 
OSPowerCaseOther
Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter  Corsair 650TX  Norco RPC 4224 LSI 9261-8i 
Other
Intel RES2CV240 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3kRulez View Post

At the end I chose to opt for RAID 0 of 2 x 250GB Samsung 840 EVO. Here's the result with atto benchmark, I guess this is the way to go! _2013-09-24_20-36-27.png 72k .png file

16842


Will RAPID mode work in RAID 0?
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by amdlover24 View Post

Will RAPID mode work in RAID 0?
My magician detects that my Crucial M500 raid 0 is not composed with Samsung SSD's, if it works or not I don't know
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post

My magician detects that my Crucial M500 raid 0 is not composed with Samsung SSD's, if it works or not I don't know

This OP was using two Samsung drives though so i wondered about that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hard Drives & Storage
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › samsung evo 840 250 gb x2 in raid 0 vs samsung evo 500 gb on ASUS p8p67 pro