Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › HTPC › HTPC/Gaming computer Power Management??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HTPC/Gaming computer Power Management??

post #1 of 4
Thread Starter 
I will be building a new HTPC/Gaming computer soon. These are my specs:

Intel i7 4770k processor

GPU -GTX 780

Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case CC-9011030-WW - Black

2 Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Single Unit Version Internal Solid State Drive MZ-7TE250BW in Raid 0 config

Asus Z87 PRO LGA 1150 Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9Q-32GXM

Swiftech H220 Quiet Power PLUG-AND-PLAY Liquid Cooling System 4 Pin 2x 120mm Fans 3/8 Fitting, Water block for GTX780.

Windows 8.1 with WMC.

Ceton InfinTV PCIe cable tuner


2 WD black 4GB Hard drives


Just want to get an idea on how peeps run there power management on there HTPC. Does it run 24/7 or do you let it go to sleep after a certain period of time??

I don't know if this matters but MY HTPC/Gaming PC will be connected to a Yamaha Home theatre receiver.


Any Ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
post #2 of 4

Have you considered an ITX build? The Corsair Air 540 is quite a large case, and is more of a desktop case, rather than one you'd find for an HTPC.

post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigRod View Post


Just want to get an idea on how peeps run there power management on there HTPC. Does it run 24/7 or do you let it go to sleep after a certain period of time??

I don't know if this matters but MY HTPC/Gaming PC will be connected to a Yamaha Home theatre receiver.


Any Ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
My build is strictly HTPC, don't do any gaming on it. I keep it in sleep mode and have had no issues at all with it waking up to record TV shows. It's connected to a Hauppage 2650 tuner (I don't need to record more than two shows at any given time and our home doesn't have a lot of TVs to warrant a network solution). I do need to have an auxiliary keyboard to wake the computer up to watch TV as the supplied remote will only put it to sleep when you hit the off button. It's also configured to wake up in the middle of night to do any necessary Windows Media Center downloads. The only issue I can think of in this approach is to check for Windows updates once a week and then go through the download/install process if necessary.
Photo Editing PC
(11 items)
 
HTPC
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4790k  ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 ASUS GTX 960 2GB STRIX 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
256 GB Samsung 850 PRO WD 2TB Caviar Black Noctua NH U12S Win8.1 
MonitorPowerCase
NEC MultiSynch P221W SeaSonic G 650 Fractal Design Define R5 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel i3-3225 Gigabyte H77N-WiFi 4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 1600 120 GB Samsung EVO 840 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
500GB WD Blue LG Blue Ray DVD Reader Noctua NH-L9i Win7 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech K-400 Seasonic G360 Lian Li PC Q-27B 
  hide details  
Reply
Photo Editing PC
(11 items)
 
HTPC
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4790k  ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 ASUS GTX 960 2GB STRIX 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
256 GB Samsung 850 PRO WD 2TB Caviar Black Noctua NH U12S Win8.1 
MonitorPowerCase
NEC MultiSynch P221W SeaSonic G 650 Fractal Design Define R5 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel i3-3225 Gigabyte H77N-WiFi 4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 1600 120 GB Samsung EVO 840 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
500GB WD Blue LG Blue Ray DVD Reader Noctua NH-L9i Win7 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech K-400 Seasonic G360 Lian Li PC Q-27B 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 4
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaesthetic View Post

Have you considered an ITX build? The Corsair Air 540 is quite a large case, and is more of a desktop case, rather than one you'd find for an HTPC.

Thanks Kinaesthetic for your response. Yes you are correct it is a rather large case. I am putting this build in a wall unit underneath the TV. It is a big are that I am not using and the Corsair 540 will fit with plenty of room. I figured if I have the space why not use it. Easyer to work with the components and cooling.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan G View Post

My build is strictly HTPC, don't do any gaming on it. I keep it in sleep mode and have had no issues at all with it waking up to record TV shows. It's connected to a Hauppage 2650 tuner (I don't need to record more than two shows at any given time and our home doesn't have a lot of TVs to warrant a network solution). I do need to have an auxiliary keyboard to wake the computer up to watch TV as the supplied remote will only put it to sleep when you hit the off button. It's also configured to wake up in the middle of night to do any necessary Windows Media Center downloads. The only issue I can think of in this approach is to check for Windows updates once a week and then go through the download/install process if necessary.

Thanks Alan G for the info. I would like to try it in sleep mode too as it will save a little energy. I just have read posts where peeps have had issues somehow with the HDMI connected to a receiver when the HTPC wakes up out of sleep. I guess what I need it to do is when I turn on the Yamaha receiver I also want the HTPC to wake up from sleep and of course when it needs to record something. I have a RF Universal remote , model MX-980, that works great will all my other components. I have to see if there is a way to program it so that when I turn on the receiver that it will turn on the HTPC?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HTPC
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › HTPC › HTPC/Gaming computer Power Management??