Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [VC] AMD Radeon R9 290X with Hawaii GPU pictured, has 512-bit 4GB Memory
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[VC] AMD Radeon R9 290X with Hawaii GPU pictured, has 512-bit 4GB Memory - Page 98

post #971 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by szeged View Post

a lot of people on ocn like to get price/performance ratio mixed up with pure performance

eg - people trying to say their 780s perform better than titans because they cost less rolleyes.gif

What ridicule means is down to semantics. Saying 780s perform better than titans is plainly wrong.
Mastodon Ryzen
(12 items)
 
HP Z220
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
R7 1800X Asus Crosshair VI Hero Sapphire RX Vega 64 reference Gskill TridentZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Pny SSD 240GB Crucial MX100 CM Nepton 280L Win 10 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Acer Predator XG270HU Freesync XFX 750W Pro HAF XM Logitech G502 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsCooling
i7 3770 HP Quadro K2000 HP 
OSPowerCaseMouse
Win 7  HP 400W HP CMT RAT 7 
  hide details  
Reply
Mastodon Ryzen
(12 items)
 
HP Z220
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
R7 1800X Asus Crosshair VI Hero Sapphire RX Vega 64 reference Gskill TridentZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Pny SSD 240GB Crucial MX100 CM Nepton 280L Win 10 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Acer Predator XG270HU Freesync XFX 750W Pro HAF XM Logitech G502 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsCooling
i7 3770 HP Quadro K2000 HP 
OSPowerCaseMouse
Win 7  HP 400W HP CMT RAT 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #972 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010rig View Post

Something tells me I know exactly who you're talking about. ( GT )

thumb.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuivamaa View Post

What ridicule means is down to semantics. Saying 780s perform better than titans is plainly wrong.


Ridicule is all on how an individual sees it really, if the 290x beats titan in more than 70% of benchmarks, gaming and 3dmark/unigen benching then yes ill say its a ridicule to the titan. if it only beats it in bf4 with mantle and loses in mostly everything else then meh no real reason for me to grab one.

and yeah saying 780 beats titan just because of the price is like saying a horse drawn trailer beats a lambo because it costs way less

uh oh car metaphors, inc 3 more pages of off topic.
LEGION
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 6700K ASUS Maximus VIII Impact EVGA GTX TITAN X G.skill 16gb 3200 ddr4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 pro 250gb Samsung 840 evo 250gb Samsung 840 evo 250gb Ice kings magic. 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
WIN 10 Wasabi Mango 42" 4k Corsair k70 EVGA 1000w P2 
CaseMouseAudio
Caselabs Mercury S3 Razer naga :( sennheiser HD 558 
  hide details  
Reply
LEGION
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 6700K ASUS Maximus VIII Impact EVGA GTX TITAN X G.skill 16gb 3200 ddr4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 pro 250gb Samsung 840 evo 250gb Samsung 840 evo 250gb Ice kings magic. 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
WIN 10 Wasabi Mango 42" 4k Corsair k70 EVGA 1000w P2 
CaseMouseAudio
Caselabs Mercury S3 Razer naga :( sennheiser HD 558 
  hide details  
Reply
post #973 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010rig View Post

We're talking about pure performance here, so let's just keep it that way.

Don't Click Here (Click to show)
Otherwise, look back at the 7970 at launch it was $550. It got ridiculed into several price drops. wink.gif

A $300 7970 now means that at launch, it was 83% overpriced, that's just ridiculous.

yessir.gif

I have a $100k GPU that ridicules TItan btw - only 10kW TDP biggrin.gif and 70% better performance. Pure performance only matters to those who can afford it. For the vast majority of people price is a massive factor, and if price/performance is 50% better and pure performance is still a lot better than the competition's flagship, that's "ridicule" territory.

And please don't ignore the age of the 7970... nor the fact launch prices are inflated anyway. While I understand you support Nvidia at least make some points that aren't paper thin...
post #974 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moragg View Post

I have a $100k GPU that ridicules TItan btw - only 10kW TDP biggrin.gif and 70% better performance. Pure performance only matters to those who can afford it. For the vast majority of people price is a massive factor, and if price/performance is 50% better and pure performance is still a lot better than the competition's flagship, that's "ridicule" territory.

And please don't ignore the age of the 7970... nor the fact launch prices are inflated anyway. While I understand you support Nvidia at least make some points that aren't paper thin...

if people couldnt afford a titan but wanted better gaming performance, there are viable options now, no need to wait for next amd cards to come out to "ridicule" the titan price to performance wise, you can get quad 7970s for the price of a titan with a waterblock on it lol, ill be the first to tell you, quad 7970s poop on a single titan if you didnt know already tongue.gif

but then there are those of us who demand absolute performance no matter the cost, and thats when things get interesting with the upcoming cards, im really hoping they either match or beat the titan because im getting bored of benching and overclocking titans, theyre all pretty predictable unless you get a golden one, or a dud card.
LEGION
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 6700K ASUS Maximus VIII Impact EVGA GTX TITAN X G.skill 16gb 3200 ddr4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 pro 250gb Samsung 840 evo 250gb Samsung 840 evo 250gb Ice kings magic. 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
WIN 10 Wasabi Mango 42" 4k Corsair k70 EVGA 1000w P2 
CaseMouseAudio
Caselabs Mercury S3 Razer naga :( sennheiser HD 558 
  hide details  
Reply
LEGION
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 6700K ASUS Maximus VIII Impact EVGA GTX TITAN X G.skill 16gb 3200 ddr4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 pro 250gb Samsung 840 evo 250gb Samsung 840 evo 250gb Ice kings magic. 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
WIN 10 Wasabi Mango 42" 4k Corsair k70 EVGA 1000w P2 
CaseMouseAudio
Caselabs Mercury S3 Razer naga :( sennheiser HD 558 
  hide details  
Reply
post #975 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by szeged View Post

if people couldnt afford a titan but wanted better gaming performance, there are viable options now, no need to wait for next amd cards to come out to "ridicule" the titan price to performance wise, you can get quad 7970s for the price of a titan with a waterblock on it lol, ill be the first to tell you, quad 7970s poop on a single titan if you didnt know already tongue.gif

but then there are those of us who demand absolute performance no matter the cost, and thats when things get interesting with the upcoming cards, im really hoping they either match or beat the titan because im getting bored of benching and overclocking titans, theyre all pretty predictable unless you get a golden one, or a dud card.

All I'm saying is that to the vast majority of people price is a massive factor, and as long as pure performance is the same price/performance becomes the most important.
post #976 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by szeged View Post

if people couldnt afford a titan but wanted better gaming performance, there are viable options now, no need to wait for next amd cards to come out to "ridicule" the titan price to performance wise, you can get quad 7970s for the price of a titan with a waterblock on it lol, ill be the first to tell you, quad 7970s poop on a single titan if you didnt know already tongue.gif

but then there are those of us who demand absolute performance no matter the cost, and thats when things get interesting with the upcoming cards, im really hoping they either match or beat the titan because im getting bored of benching and overclocking titans, theyre all pretty predictable unless you get a golden one, or a dud card.

I don't care about stock performance. OC performance is what will make me pull the trigger. I personally would never spend a grand (eu 1K€) on a gpu, I would on 2 gpus though.
post #977 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie2009 View Post

I don't care about stock performance. OC performance is what will make me pull the trigger. I personally would never spend a grand (eu 1K€) on a gpu, I would on 2 gpus though.

stock performance is the last thing i care about, maximum over clock vs maximum overclock in benchs are what i buy gpus for now, which is why i have 780 classifieds, titans, 7990s, 7970s etc etc.
LEGION
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 6700K ASUS Maximus VIII Impact EVGA GTX TITAN X G.skill 16gb 3200 ddr4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 pro 250gb Samsung 840 evo 250gb Samsung 840 evo 250gb Ice kings magic. 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
WIN 10 Wasabi Mango 42" 4k Corsair k70 EVGA 1000w P2 
CaseMouseAudio
Caselabs Mercury S3 Razer naga :( sennheiser HD 558 
  hide details  
Reply
LEGION
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 6700K ASUS Maximus VIII Impact EVGA GTX TITAN X G.skill 16gb 3200 ddr4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 pro 250gb Samsung 840 evo 250gb Samsung 840 evo 250gb Ice kings magic. 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
WIN 10 Wasabi Mango 42" 4k Corsair k70 EVGA 1000w P2 
CaseMouseAudio
Caselabs Mercury S3 Razer naga :( sennheiser HD 558 
  hide details  
Reply
post #978 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by szeged View Post

stock performance is the last thing i care about, maximum over clock vs maximum overclock in benchs are what i buy gpus for now, which is why i have 780 classifieds, titans, 7990s, 7970s etc etc.

Yeah, can be a pain playing the silicon lottery though.
post #979 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie2009 View Post

Yeah, can be a pain playing the silicon lottery though.

oh i know, two of my titans i would consider golden and i absolutely loved overclocking them, meanwhile, my newest one is a complete dissapointment on the core, but the memory can do +950 or so stable on valley lol.

4 of my 7970s were amazing overclockers, two were absolutely awful and i sold them to a friend who just wanted to run them stock for work.
LEGION
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 6700K ASUS Maximus VIII Impact EVGA GTX TITAN X G.skill 16gb 3200 ddr4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 pro 250gb Samsung 840 evo 250gb Samsung 840 evo 250gb Ice kings magic. 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
WIN 10 Wasabi Mango 42" 4k Corsair k70 EVGA 1000w P2 
CaseMouseAudio
Caselabs Mercury S3 Razer naga :( sennheiser HD 558 
  hide details  
Reply
LEGION
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 6700K ASUS Maximus VIII Impact EVGA GTX TITAN X G.skill 16gb 3200 ddr4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 pro 250gb Samsung 840 evo 250gb Samsung 840 evo 250gb Ice kings magic. 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
WIN 10 Wasabi Mango 42" 4k Corsair k70 EVGA 1000w P2 
CaseMouseAudio
Caselabs Mercury S3 Razer naga :( sennheiser HD 558 
  hide details  
Reply
post #980 of 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by szeged View Post

oh i know, two of my titans i would consider golden and i absolutely loved overclocking them, meanwhile, my newest one is a complete dissapointment on the core, but the memory can do +950 or so stable on valley lol.

4 of my 7970s were amazing overclockers, two were absolutely awful and i sold them to a friend who just wanted to run them stock for work.

Ha looking at your monitor setup I see why you need so much grunt.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [VC] AMD Radeon R9 290X with Hawaii GPU pictured, has 512-bit 4GB Memory