Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Small Form Factor Systems › ThreeZero Slim 2013 Design Poll: The XBox One/PS4 destroyer!!1!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ThreeZero Slim 2013 Design Poll: The XBox One/PS4 destroyer!!1!

Poll Results: Chose Design!

 
  • 27% (3)
    Slim 1
  • 45% (5)
    Slim 2
  • 27% (3)
    Slim 3
11 Total Votes  
post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
three_zero_project_logo.png



Chose the design of my next scratch build!

It's been almost a year since I started the original ThreeZero Project, and it's time to take it to the next level! Based on the information provided, which design would you like to see built most? Slim 2013 will be designed with the intent to totally shame the coming console generation, and be right at home in your entertainment center. Which design do you feel will serve this purpose best? Which design has the right balance of features that you have been looking for in a slim SFF case? CAST YOUR VOTE AND BE HEARD!



The Designs

slim2013designpoll.jpg

I look forward to your feedback, questions, and votes!

All designs, pictures and final product are the intellectual property of the OP, TheHobbyist.
post #2 of 8
I personally like the slim 2 design. I'd rather have the ability to have HDDs considering that most people's Steam libraries are pretty expansive and would be easier to have most games on an HDD cost wise.
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameyscott View Post

I personally like the slim 2 design. I'd rather have the ability to have HDDs considering that most people's Steam libraries are pretty expansive and would be easier to have most games on an HDD cost wise.

Thanks for contributing jameyscott!

You make an excellent point about storage! With a game library as large as the PC, you definitely need some space if you want to store all of your favorite titles. For media collections like music and movies, Network Access Storage (NAS) is great, but for games, you most certainly want them stored locally.

In my current system, I have one 2.5" SSD and one 2.5" HDD. This gives me large local storage, but I can really feel those load times if a game if running off of the HDD.

For me, the biggest drawback of the Slim 3 is the 760 mini GPU. When future GPU generations come out, there is no guarantee that there will be a mini. Not only that, but you are limited to the performance of the GTX 760. It is a great performer, but when you start talking about 1080p @120hz or 4k, it just doesn't have the guts it needs. Compatibility with dual slot full length cards really opens up your options!
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHobbyist View Post

Thanks for contributing jameyscott!

You make an excellent point about storage! With a game library as large as the PC, you definitely need some space if you want to store all of your favorite titles. For media collections like music and movies, Network Access Storage (NAS) is great, but for games, you most certainly want them stored locally.

In my current system, I have one 2.5" SSD and one 2.5" HDD. This gives me large local storage, but I can really feel those load times if a game if running off of the HDD.

For me, the biggest drawback of the Slim 3 is the 760 mini GPU. When future GPU generations come out, there is no guarantee that there will be a mini. Not only that, but you are limited to the performance of the GTX 760. It is a great performer, but when you start talking about 1080p @120hz or 4k, it just doesn't have the guts it needs. Compatibility with dual slot full length cards really opens up your options!


I agree I think the best thing about option 2 is still to have upgradeability

I completely forgot about 2.5 HDDs, but still the option of not being able to upgrade the GPU readily is a big drawback. Especially with 4k on the horizon and 120hz being fairly commonplace now-a-days.
(My 3D 120hz tv was only 600 a few years ago and now is 400)
post #5 of 8
My vote goes to option 2. it basically has the best of both worlds. Good enough PSU to support a high end GPU+CPU and not too much emtpy space.
post #6 of 8
Meh, I think Falcon already makes #2 Tiki


Edited by frack0 - 9/22/13 at 8:21am
NFC S4 Transplant
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3770K P8Z77-I DELUXE EVGA GTX 750 Ti Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz 2x8GB Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Win 10 Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Linux Mint 17 Noctua L9i 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Win 10 Pro Linux Mint 17 HP Envy 32" Bang & Olufsen SIIG Mech 
PowerCaseMouse
Dell 330W brick plus HD Plex 160/200W NFC S4 Logitech M310 
  hide details  
Reply
NFC S4 Transplant
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3770K P8Z77-I DELUXE EVGA GTX 750 Ti Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz 2x8GB Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Win 10 Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Linux Mint 17 Noctua L9i 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Win 10 Pro Linux Mint 17 HP Envy 32" Bang & Olufsen SIIG Mech 
PowerCaseMouse
Dell 330W brick plus HD Plex 160/200W NFC S4 Logitech M310 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kai View Post

My vote goes to option 2. it basically has the best of both worlds. Good enough PSU to support a high end GPU+CPU and not too much emtpy space.

Thank you for your feedback King Kai! Duly noted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frack0 View Post

Meh, I think Falcon already makes #2 Tiki


Hey there frack0! Falcon does, indeed, make something similar in the Tiki! Also of note are the Digital Storm Bolt and the Alienware X51. Those are great if you are happy with their appearance and you like commercial products. However, many like to build their own machines or find the designs of the aforementioned systems lacking. A good discussion on this matter can be found in this thread.

I find your logic a little confusing as well... are you implying that there is only room for one product in each form factor? One Mid-Tower, one full-tower, etc? Hmm.
post #8 of 8
Well, nice to see you in this forum as well TheHobbyist. smile.gif

@frack0, there is also the ibuypower Revolt, and Cyberpower has also dropped a picture of their upcoming mITX pc with a similar form factor. However, none of these companies sell the case by itself, many enthusiast's like to build their own systems and would prefer to have just the case. The ASROCK M8 is a similar form factor that will be sold barebones, but it's on the large side in terms of size, and the exterior is definitely not for the minimalists.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Small Form Factor Systems
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Small Form Factor Systems › ThreeZero Slim 2013 Design Poll: The XBox One/PS4 destroyer!!1!