Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Various] Microsoft Surface 2 Tablets Officially Announced
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Various] Microsoft Surface 2 Tablets Officially Announced - Page 16

post #151 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock View Post

The thing is people who prefer their phone and tablet be in the same ecosystem outnumber the people who prefer their tablet & PC be in the same ecosystem. IMO most people view their tablet as an extension of their phone, a larger screen Internet hub & media consumption device.

How well the 7-8" tablets(Kindle Fire 7, Nexus 7, Ipad Mini) are selling are a good indication of this, the 10" tablet market is shrinking in spite of Nexus 10 & Ipad4 (there are signs that Ipad Mini cannibalize its sales) and that's a reason behind why Surfaces aren't selling well. When you can acquire a 13.3" Ultrabook & a 7" tablet for about the same price as a Surface Pro+Type Cover, the appeal of the 10" Hybrid fades fast.

The reason the smaller tablets are selling well is because they are cheap...
post #152 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

The reason the smaller tablets are selling well is because they are cheap...

Price is only part of the small tablets' appeal, they are also lighter/pocket-able(Jacket/Coat inside pockets), more convenient to use in portrait mode & have shorter charging times due to smaller batteries.

For people that only want to browse the internet and consume media(such as ebooks & photos galleries), a small tablet offers just what they need without the extra weight, size & price of the 10" tablets.

If Price was the sole factor that small tablets are selling well, then Google/Amazon wouldn't have made their Nexus/Kindle 7" 2013 models more expensive than the previous iteration.
Edited by sherlock - 9/27/13 at 3:21pm
Skylake 1080 FTW
(18 items)
 
XPS 15
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K  ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger EVGA 1080 FTW TridentZ DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung SM951 128GB Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB Muskin Reactor 1TB Seagate Baracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 HDD 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Baracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 HDD Corsair H110i GT Windows 10 Pro  Acer XB321HK 32" 4K G-sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 Rapid Fire EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 NZXT H440 Black Logitech G900  
Mouse PadOther
Razer Vespula CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD - PFC Sinewave UPS Syst... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700HQ 2.6Ghz(3.5Ghz Turbo) Dell XPS 15 Nvidia GTX 960M 8GB DDR4-2133 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
256GB PCIE SSD Windows 10 Pro 15.6" 1080p 
  hide details  
Reply
Skylake 1080 FTW
(18 items)
 
XPS 15
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K  ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger EVGA 1080 FTW TridentZ DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung SM951 128GB Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB Muskin Reactor 1TB Seagate Baracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 HDD 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Baracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 HDD Corsair H110i GT Windows 10 Pro  Acer XB321HK 32" 4K G-sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 Rapid Fire EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 NZXT H440 Black Logitech G900  
Mouse PadOther
Razer Vespula CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD - PFC Sinewave UPS Syst... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700HQ 2.6Ghz(3.5Ghz Turbo) Dell XPS 15 Nvidia GTX 960M 8GB DDR4-2133 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
256GB PCIE SSD Windows 10 Pro 15.6" 1080p 
  hide details  
Reply
post #153 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post

I disagree I think most of us had blackberry's in that ~03 time frame. WinMo was never really successful. I had blackberry until I got a G1

no one i knew used a BB, they are only good for BB emails and it ends there.

every other tech geek i know and execs uses a winmo because it not only offer a full office the 3rd party apps just wins

we're the first guys to enjoy portable mp3, portable video, gaming, gps, and everything else before the craze kicked off
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock View Post

The thing is people who prefer their phone and tablet be in the same ecosystem outnumber the people who prefer their tablet & PC be in the same ecosystem. IMO most people view their tablet as an extension of their phone, a larger screen Internet hub & media consumption device.

i disagree with tablets and phones being in the same ecosystem, a driod tablet is a phone with a bigger screen and nothing more and the same applies to idevices. I'd say people do not want duplicate devices of the same function.

which is why having devices of different platform makes sense especially a windows tablet
post #154 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by akromatic View Post


i disagree with tablets and phones being in the same ecosystem, a driod tablet is a phone with a bigger screen and nothing more and the same applies to idevices. I'd say people do not want duplicate devices of the same function.

which is why having devices of different platform makes sense especially a windows tablet

Just because Android/IOS tablets share some apps as Phones that doesn't mean they excel at the same functions. The Web Broswing, Ebook reading, viewing Photos & Videos have a much better experience when done on a larger screen, hence why Android/IOS Tablets excel at different things than phones even though they are in the same ecosystem.

People like me do prefer having 2 devices that share a lot of functions, but excel at different functions. Whatever the logic behind the argument maybe, the fact is the tactic of having the same OS for Tablet & PC is not selling the devices as well as having the same OS for Phone & Tablet.
Edited by sherlock - 9/27/13 at 6:18pm
Skylake 1080 FTW
(18 items)
 
XPS 15
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K  ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger EVGA 1080 FTW TridentZ DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung SM951 128GB Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB Muskin Reactor 1TB Seagate Baracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 HDD 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Baracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 HDD Corsair H110i GT Windows 10 Pro  Acer XB321HK 32" 4K G-sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 Rapid Fire EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 NZXT H440 Black Logitech G900  
Mouse PadOther
Razer Vespula CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD - PFC Sinewave UPS Syst... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700HQ 2.6Ghz(3.5Ghz Turbo) Dell XPS 15 Nvidia GTX 960M 8GB DDR4-2133 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
256GB PCIE SSD Windows 10 Pro 15.6" 1080p 
  hide details  
Reply
Skylake 1080 FTW
(18 items)
 
XPS 15
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K  ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger EVGA 1080 FTW TridentZ DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung SM951 128GB Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB Muskin Reactor 1TB Seagate Baracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 HDD 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Baracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 HDD Corsair H110i GT Windows 10 Pro  Acer XB321HK 32" 4K G-sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 Rapid Fire EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 NZXT H440 Black Logitech G900  
Mouse PadOther
Razer Vespula CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD - PFC Sinewave UPS Syst... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700HQ 2.6Ghz(3.5Ghz Turbo) Dell XPS 15 Nvidia GTX 960M 8GB DDR4-2133 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
256GB PCIE SSD Windows 10 Pro 15.6" 1080p 
  hide details  
Reply
post #155 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post

I disagree I think most of us had blackberry's in that ~03 time frame. WinMo was never really successful. I had blackberry until I got a G1

Yes you're somewhat correct. In 2003 Blackberry did outsell WinMo 2003/Pocket PC 2003. However Blackberry was barely 15% of the world market behind Symbian. Jump forward 2 years and WinMo 5 had replaced Blackberry for the number 2 spot. It wasn't until 2008 that Blackberry outsold WinMo again. Symbian held the lead until 2010/11 with Apple well behind Android. We all know what has happened since then.

I still think Blackberry would have done better if build quality (Pearl trackball for example) and service costs hadn't went to crap. I'm sort of glad Microsoft dropped out for awhile to do a rethink and design. But that is neither here nor there as far as these tablets go.

I think after we see Windows 8.1 drop to everyone, the Windows App markets combine, and finally have universal app crossover from each platform these devices will pick up in sales to an extent. I want each of my devices to be equally capable but I know some things are better suited to a phone, tablet, or PC. It is going to take a while to pull it off but at the moment only Microsoft will be able to pull it off because all the OS's are new and App development can be standard across them.
Red-Scout
(18 items)
 
Asus G53SX-TH71
(12 items)
 
Big Blue
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD 8320 FX Asus Crosshair V Twin Frozr 6950 Twin Frozr 6950 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Vengence Red Crucial M4 Western Digital Raptor 300gb Western Digital 1 TB Black 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Blu-ray Corsair H80 Windows 7 Professional Asus VE248H x3 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX 5500 Revolution Black Thermaltake TR2 RX 750w CoolerMaster Storm Scout MX Revolution Cordless Laser Mouse 
AudioAudio
Logitech X-540 5.1 System Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2670QM G53SX NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M Samsung  
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Corsair  Samsung  Corsair  Corsair Force GT3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi Blu-Ray Drive Windows 7 Professional 15.4" 1080p 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8120 Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 MSI Windforce 6850 Kingston Hyper-Blue 16Gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
3x Seagate Barracuda 3Tb OCZ Agility 2 64Gb 3x OCZ Vertex 2 Plus 32 Gb Cooler Master Seidon 120mm 
OSOSPowerCase
Windows Server 2012 Standard VMs (Server 2012, Windows 7, Windows 8, Ubuntu,... PC Power and Cooling 500w Silencer NXZT Switch 810 
  hide details  
Reply
Red-Scout
(18 items)
 
Asus G53SX-TH71
(12 items)
 
Big Blue
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD 8320 FX Asus Crosshair V Twin Frozr 6950 Twin Frozr 6950 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Vengence Red Crucial M4 Western Digital Raptor 300gb Western Digital 1 TB Black 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Blu-ray Corsair H80 Windows 7 Professional Asus VE248H x3 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX 5500 Revolution Black Thermaltake TR2 RX 750w CoolerMaster Storm Scout MX Revolution Cordless Laser Mouse 
AudioAudio
Logitech X-540 5.1 System Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2670QM G53SX NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M Samsung  
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Corsair  Samsung  Corsair  Corsair Force GT3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi Blu-Ray Drive Windows 7 Professional 15.4" 1080p 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8120 Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 MSI Windforce 6850 Kingston Hyper-Blue 16Gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
3x Seagate Barracuda 3Tb OCZ Agility 2 64Gb 3x OCZ Vertex 2 Plus 32 Gb Cooler Master Seidon 120mm 
OSOSPowerCase
Windows Server 2012 Standard VMs (Server 2012, Windows 7, Windows 8, Ubuntu,... PC Power and Cooling 500w Silencer NXZT Switch 810 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Various] Microsoft Surface 2 Tablets Officially Announced