Control Panel Artwork
Well, after taking a few days off to clear my head, I finally got to work on the artwork for the control panel. Having done very little previously with vector graphics, it was quite a learning experience. It ended up taking about a week and a half working on it a few hours almost every day.
The first thing I had to do was get my layout to scale and into the computer. This was what I ended up with.
I printed it out full scale and made a cardboard mockup of the control panel to make sure everything was good before I proceeded. It's a good thing I did because the top panel was not nearly deep enough due to the angle of where the monitor and glass will be. I also wanted a little more space on that panel to rest palms in front of the controls.
Once I made those adjustments, I started working on the artwork for the panel. I wanted the top panel to reflect a close replica of the Ms. PacMan/Galaga Reunion control panel and the bottom to combine the control panel designs of Robotron:2084 and Missile Command. Here is the final result.
This version shows the controls and T-molding in place to give an idea of what the final look will be. The lower panel is 32" x 14" and the upper panel is 26" x 8".
This is the actual version to be printed with the borders removed and cutout markings for the controls.
I will say that I was able to get a lot of the graphics I needed, already in vector format, from ArcadeArtLibrary.com. I did have to manually trace over raster images for the Galaga background and Missile Command logo. I took letters from Move and Start Play on the Ms. PacMan control panel and pieced together the x, i, and n for the Enter and Exit button labels. I had all the letters for the Player 1 and Player 2 labels from the Robotron control panel, so I just had to mix them into the right order. Other than that, I just did a lot of stretching, moving, and otherwise manipulating what was available.
Next on the To-Do list is the artwork for the marquee and possibly the sides and kickplate. I have to get all of this artwork done so I can get some quotes and get it printed. Hopefully the marquee will take me less than a week. The sides and kickplate I don't know about yet due to the time required to make the artwork and the cost to print it. I still have a lot of wood and paint work to do on the cabinet itself to get it ready, and I'm down to 2 and a half weeks to finish. I have a feeling the first week of November is going to be one of those fun-but-not-because-it's-so-stressful kind of weeks.
Edited by sadeter - 10/25/13 at 10:04am