Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [TPU] AMD Announces The Radeon R9 290X - Features 64 ROPs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[TPU] AMD Announces The Radeon R9 290X - Features 64 ROPs - Page 29

post #281 of 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by fateswarm View Post

You British?
doh.gif why Do You think I'm a brit?

Hmm, maybe its because I learned british english instead of amurican english Back In kindergarten, who Knows.
Power Bac G5
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6950X EVGA GTX 1080 Ti GSkill 32GB 4133Mhz Samsung 960 Pro 1TB 
CoolingMonitor
Corsair H110i ASUS PG278Q 
  hide details  
Reply
Power Bac G5
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6950X EVGA GTX 1080 Ti GSkill 32GB 4133Mhz Samsung 960 Pro 1TB 
CoolingMonitor
Corsair H110i ASUS PG278Q 
  hide details  
Reply
post #282 of 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by scyy View Post

I wasn't implying make mantle open. My point was the very same people who crap all over physx for being closed will praise this despite being closed as well. I have no problem with amd pushing this just as I have no problem with physx. Just pointing out hypocrisy.

If this really gets huge and amd incorporates hardware frame pacing I very well may go amd once my 780s show their age but for now I'm skeptical of how wide spread it will be.
Physix is not anywhere near the same here. It is an added feature not one that increases performance. It is reasonable that this Mantle will have somewhat of a grip even in the PC market simply because of ports. DX isn't viable on consoles because of inefficiency. If they truly want to sell consoles and games then they need all advantages front and center. Ports will likely and likely as in 100% will have DX as well as Mantle. As I said earlier or maybe in another thread(so many of these AMD threads right now) it will behave like ICC and set qualifiers for which set API it will use dependent on the hardware in use, you likely wont get a choice, assuming Nvidia hasn't somehow worked a fix for its use as well.
post #283 of 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durquavian View Post

Physix is not anywhere near the same here. It is an added feature not one that increases performance. It is reasonable that this Mantle will have somewhat of a grip even in the PC market simply because of ports. DX isn't viable on consoles because of inefficiency. If they truly want to sell consoles and games then they need all advantages front and center. Ports will likely and likely as in 100% will have DX as well as Mantle. As I said earlier or maybe in another thread(so many of these AMD threads right now) it will behave like ICC and set qualifiers for which set API it will use dependent on the hardware in use, you likely wont get a choice, assuming Nvidia hasn't somehow worked a fix for its use as well.
My mentioning of physx was to the point of having a specific advantage over the other side through a(likely) closed feature. Not a direct comparison of the technologies. If anything this is a much bigger deal than physx if it gets adopted widely, key word being if.
Edited by scyy - 9/26/13 at 7:44pm
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
Reply
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
Reply
post #284 of 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by scyy View Post

My mentioning of physx was to the point of having a specific advantage over the other side through a(likely) closed feature. Not a direct comparison of the technologies. If anything this is a much bigger deal than physx if it gets adopted widely.
How widely is the question. I don't even want to bet on any outcome. But also I wonder where HSA comes in with this as well.
post #285 of 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by scyy View Post

My mentioning of physx was to the point of having a specific advantage over the other side through a(likely) closed feature. Not a direct comparison of the technologies. If anything this is a much bigger deal than physx if it gets adopted widely, key word being if.

apples and oranges. you cannot use it in the sense you intent. Compare tressfx with physx instead. As to it being close, there is no choice but for it to be closed. It is in the very nature of it to be closed. It's like a firmware. Even if they wanted it open (which was reported to be so by one of the tech site), they can't because it is architecture specific. If it was open across architectures then it would be high level just like directX. If they open it in the sense where the programmer interface is the same but the backend code is implemented by each manufacturer then what is the point? Nvidia would basically need to create mantle from scratch and to AMD's specifications. That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Even if Nvidia were that stupid, why would they get with it when AMD will have control of the interface code and future development/versions? They might as well create their own and have full control. So no, What you are saying doesn't work from any direction I could think of.
Edited by SniperOct - 9/26/13 at 7:54pm
post #286 of 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperOct View Post

apples and oranges. you cannot use it in the sense you intent. Compare tressfx with physx instead. As to it being close, there is no choice but for it to be closed. It is in the very nature of it to be closed. It's like a firmware. Even if they wanted it open (which was reported to be so by one of the tech site), they can't because it is architecture specific. If it was open across architectures then it would be high level just like directX. If they open it in the sense where the programmer interface is the same but the backend code is implemented by each manufacturer then what is the point? Nvidia would basically need to create mantle from scratch and to AMD's specifications. That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Even if Nvidia were that stupid, why would they get with it when AMD will have control of the interface code and future development/versions? They might as well create their own and have full control. So no, What you are saying doesn't work from any direction I could think of.

Again, I'm not comparing them directly as far as the technologies behind it and have no problem with it being closed and completely understand the very nature of a low level api will likely be tied in some way to the architecture making it likely not possible to run on Kepler or any other nvidia GPU. My point was just to point out hypocrisy of some amd users who complain about physx and talk as if anything exclusive to either side is a bad thing. I suppose you can argue since it's not really possible to make it open it's not as bad but it's still a clear advantage that is exclusive to amd.
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
Reply
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
Reply
post #287 of 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by scyy View Post

Again, I'm not comparing them directly as far as the technologies behind it and have no problem with it being closed and completely understand the very nature of a low level api will likely be tied in some way to the architecture making it likely not possible to run on Kepler or any other nvidia GPU. My point was just to point out hypocrisy of some amd users who complain about physx and talk as if anything exclusive to either side is a bad thing. I suppose you can argue since it's not really possible to make it open it's not as bad but it's still a clear advantage that is exclusive to amd.

Okay, you are not comparing it directly, you can't compare them indirectly, etc. Your first sentence above jumps from admitting just that to "my point is..." So tell us, how are you tying your first sentence with your second one. How are you tying the claim with the conclusion? Your point of 'exclusivity-hypocrisy' would be fine if you had an example of where that is being done at the moment. But since you are not using mantle as an example then you are simply using it as an excuse to make your point.
Edited by SniperOct - 9/26/13 at 8:19pm
post #288 of 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Puft View Post

People still use paypal? I gave up on that scam after PayPal gave back the money this douche scammed me out of. He got a brand newish 7970, he claimed defective and mailed me back a rock in a box and since he had a tracking number PayPal gave him back his money. It still pisses me off to this day. I even took pics for PayPal to see he returned me a rock. Nope.. Didn't matter. He had a tracking number so it was golden.. Ugh

Damn dude, that's literally the most ridiculous I ever heard about PayPal.

It's almost on par when they froze my account with $22,000 in it, and I had ZERO complaints, because they considered me "high risk". Bastards didn't release the funds for 6 months either. Ever visit PayPalSucks.com?

I'm a sucker though, I still have 2 PayPal accounts, I just withdraw the funds on a daily basis. That happened before eBay bought them out, they've gotten better since.

Obligatory On Topic post: Those scores were with the Performance preset, it says so right there on the slide. tongue.gif


Edited by 2010rig - 9/26/13 at 8:41pm
2010rig
(14 items)
 
Galaxy S3
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon S4 Dual core 1500mhz Adreno 225 Samsung 2GB 16GB Onboard Flash 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Android 4.4.2 - CM11 4.8" AMOLED 1280x720 2100 mAh battery Otterbox Defender 
  hide details  
Reply
2010rig
(14 items)
 
Galaxy S3
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon S4 Dual core 1500mhz Adreno 225 Samsung 2GB 16GB Onboard Flash 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Android 4.4.2 - CM11 4.8" AMOLED 1280x720 2100 mAh battery Otterbox Defender 
  hide details  
Reply
post #289 of 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010rig View Post

Damn dude, that's literally the most ridiculous I ever heard about PayPal.

It's almost on par when they froze my account with $22,000 in it, and I had ZERO complaints, because they considered me "high risk". Bastards didn't release the funds for 6 months either. Ever visit PayPalSucks.com?

I'm a sucker though, I still have 2 PayPal accounts, I just withdraw the funds on a daily basis. That happened before eBay bought them out, they've gotten better since.

Obligatory On Topic post: Those scores were with the Performance preset, it says so right there on the slide. tongue.gif

\

Wait you said Ebay bought Paypal? since when?
My system
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K 6core Asus X99-A Asus GTX 970 4x4 16g DDR4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2 x WD 500Gb Caviar Black Raid 0 LG DVD Burner Swiftech H240X Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 30" U3014 Monitor Logitech G910 Enermax Galaxy DXX 850W NZXT Switch 810 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G502 Roccat Sense 
  hide details  
Reply
My system
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K 6core Asus X99-A Asus GTX 970 4x4 16g DDR4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2 x WD 500Gb Caviar Black Raid 0 LG DVD Burner Swiftech H240X Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 30" U3014 Monitor Logitech G910 Enermax Galaxy DXX 850W NZXT Switch 810 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G502 Roccat Sense 
  hide details  
Reply
post #290 of 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by jincuteguy View Post

\

Wait you said Ebay bought Paypal? since when?

5 years ago? Maybe more. That's where Elon Musk got the money to start Tesla and SpaceX .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [TPU] AMD Announces The Radeon R9 290X - Features 64 ROPs