Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › AMD MANTLE Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AMD MANTLE Discussion Thread - Page 157

post #1561 of 2769
One thing that should also be pointed out is crysis only does resolution scaling for single monitor scenarios for their textures. This means a 3 monitor set up will only have the resolution scale for the textures for a single 1080p monitor where as a 2560x1440 monitors textures For the game will technically be higher. I know this because of done minor game developing with cryengine.
Almost done
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4820K Gigabyte X79-UP4 Evga GTX 980 ti Gskill Sniper 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Hataichi  Caviar Black Caviar Black Agility 3  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 530 series Intel 530 series ThermalTake Extreme 2.0 Windows 8.1 64bit 
PowerCaseAudio
EVGA supernova 1300watts Corsair 540 Air Asus Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
Almost done
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4820K Gigabyte X79-UP4 Evga GTX 980 ti Gskill Sniper 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Hataichi  Caviar Black Caviar Black Agility 3  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 530 series Intel 530 series ThermalTake Extreme 2.0 Windows 8.1 64bit 
PowerCaseAudio
EVGA supernova 1300watts Corsair 540 Air Asus Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1562 of 2769
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcooperjr View Post


exactly my thinking my 2x 7970's Matrix's ran crysis 3 maxxed out without issues and stayed above 80+ FPS @1080p and on 5760x1080 eyefinity stayed around 60+ FPS if 3x R9 290X's are hitting below 60FPS on Crysis 3 man you got issues somewhere because 3x R9 290X's are easily 150%-225% faster on theyre worst day than my 2x 7970's were. So I would seriously be getting worried or trying to find out what is going on maxxed out at 7680x1600 eyefinity I would expect 60+ FPS with 3x R9 290X's ( remember your performance is suppose to be better than 2x SLI Nvidia GTX Titans performance wise ) around $2000 worth of GPU's running under 60FPS on crysis 3 I would be madder than hell.

3x R9 290X's are suppose to outperform 2x Nvidia GTX Titans in nearly all situations / games by quite a bit and 2 titans run Crysis 3 maxxed at 5760x1080 res pretty well if i remember correctly like 60FPS or so. So you going under 60FPS in 1440p something is very wrong with 3x R9 290X's or rig itself or all around user / builder error. http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/52189-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-sli/?page=4



I just want to check are they reference cards if so are you running stock cooling and are they in uber mode or quiet mode add to it have you checked for thermal throttling that could easily be issue three cards stacked on top of each other of that nature with known heat issues causing thermal throttling could drastically hurt performance by around 50% or more per card due to thermal throttling.

I would also want to point out coolermaster cosmos OEM doesn't have the best airflow so that would add even more heat build up to picture anytime you run air cooling and do multi card setup go with high air flow cases or go liquid cooling otherwise you chance exact situation even more. The point is 3-4x 120mm/140mm low RPM silent fans in that case wont get that heat out so it will turn into an oven in that case in short time of running it hard amplifying the thermal throttling issue even farther. To add to it 3 cards stacked on top of each other known individually even in open air cases / test benches of overheating and thermal throttling so in a low-medium air flow case the ambient temps would be much higher inside case making cooling the cards 10x-15x harder increasing potential overheating / thermal throttling issues insanely.

One of best cases for multi card setups and air cooling is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160 Cooler Master HAF 932.

What kind of AA where you using at 1080p to stay above 80+ FPS with everything maxed out?
post #1563 of 2769
Recording will always take a hit to fps - going to need something like shadowplay to make it better. Although i think theres an alternative to shadowplay that works on radeons (im not sure tho - i dont care about streaming)
post #1564 of 2769
Quote:
Originally Posted by the9quad View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcooperjr View Post


exactly my thinking my 2x 7970's Matrix's ran crysis 3 maxxed out without issues and stayed above 80+ FPS @1080p and on 5760x1080 eyefinity stayed around 60+ FPS if 3x R9 290X's are hitting below 60FPS on Crysis 3 man you got issues somewhere because 3x R9 290X's are easily 150%-225% faster on theyre worst day than my 2x 7970's were. So I would seriously be getting worried or trying to find out what is going on maxxed out at 7680x1600 eyefinity I would expect 60+ FPS with 3x R9 290X's ( remember your performance is suppose to be better than 2x SLI Nvidia GTX Titans performance wise ) around $2000 worth of GPU's running under 60FPS on crysis 3 I would be madder than hell.

3x R9 290X's are suppose to outperform 2x Nvidia GTX Titans in nearly all situations / games by quite a bit and 2 titans run Crysis 3 maxxed at 5760x1080 res pretty well if i remember correctly like 60FPS or so. So you going under 60FPS in 1440p something is very wrong with 3x R9 290X's or rig itself or all around user / builder error. http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/52189-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-sli/?page=4



I just want to check are they reference cards if so are you running stock cooling and are they in uber mode or quiet mode add to it have you checked for thermal throttling that could easily be issue three cards stacked on top of each other of that nature with known heat issues causing thermal throttling could drastically hurt performance by around 50% or more per card due to thermal throttling.

I would also want to point out coolermaster cosmos OEM doesn't have the best airflow so that would add even more heat build up to picture anytime you run air cooling and do multi card setup go with high air flow cases or go liquid cooling otherwise you chance exact situation even more. The point is 3-4x 120mm/140mm low RPM silent fans in that case wont get that heat out so it will turn into an oven in that case in short time of running it hard amplifying the thermal throttling issue even farther. To add to it 3 cards stacked on top of each other known individually even in open air cases / test benches of overheating and thermal throttling so in a low-medium air flow case the ambient temps would be much higher inside case making cooling the cards 10x-15x harder increasing potential overheating / thermal throttling issues insanely.

One of best cases for multi card setups and air cooling is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160 Cooler Master HAF 932.

Rick, I want to just point out how far you have come in a little under two weeks. Your posts used to be one big wall of text with no punctuation. Now they are broken up into these things, that although not technically correct, at least resemble the structure of a paragraph with complete sentences. BRAVO!

Just teasing ya. Also wanted to point out, in a stock HAF-X with three stock 290x's on uber I don't get any throttling. The highest fan speed I see (I believe) is 68% on the middle card with a corresponding temp of 78C.

Also, I had never heard of action before.... I think I will give it a try. My weird hobby is buying every screen recording software and trying them out, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdawgmaster View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcooperjr View Post

actually some games lossless RGB helps with issues with color blur because of motion and fast movement racing games and flight sim games seem to benefit the most from lossless RGB.

Just going to point out that there is a video on youtube with some dude comparing Dxtory, Fraps and action with side by sides with RBG lossless enabled and it was ABSOLUTELY nothing for quality. In fact he recommended against it even when using Dxtory because there was no actual benefit from it and it just take more out of the system lowering FPS ( more evident in fraps ) I use action because while i record is does compressions ( to a degree ) that arent to demanding and because i have the system to do it with out massive fps drops. The only game right now that seems to be a problem is crysis 3 where even when not recording there are areas where i can still drop below 60fps at 1440P with 3 R9 290x.

If anything heres a video i recorded with Action of Metrol last light. Recording was done a 30FPS due to the fact thats all youtube does still so recording further is still pointless.

Yeah the HAFX is a high airflow case the one he is running 3x R9 290X's in is a low to medium airflow case coolermaster cosmos so the heat build up in his case would be easily 2-3 times as much compared to yours which would drastically increase the potential for thermal throttling. Regardless 3x R9 290X's should easily be able to record with fraps and still get 60FPS@1440p especialy being powered by a I7 4820k on Crysis 3 do you not agree.
Edited by rickcooperjr - 2/7/14 at 2:19pm
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 5820k 4.6ghz core 4.3ghz CPU cache 1.345v asus sabertooth X99 sold R9 290x's am currently running a R9 280A X... 16gb of ddr4 corsair vengeance LPX 3200mhz 1t 1... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
M.2 Toshiba OCZ RD400 512gb ASUS DVD rw  liquid cooled cpu and gpu's windows 10 pro 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3 x 32lcd/led 2560x1600 wolfking timberwolf EVGA supernova 1300w G2  Thermaltake core X9 
MouseMouse PadOther
steel series wow cataclysm 14button programable  wolfking sniper Intel PRO PT dual port PCIe server NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 5820k 4.6ghz core 4.3ghz CPU cache 1.345v asus sabertooth X99 sold R9 290x's am currently running a R9 280A X... 16gb of ddr4 corsair vengeance LPX 3200mhz 1t 1... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
M.2 Toshiba OCZ RD400 512gb ASUS DVD rw  liquid cooled cpu and gpu's windows 10 pro 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3 x 32lcd/led 2560x1600 wolfking timberwolf EVGA supernova 1300w G2  Thermaltake core X9 
MouseMouse PadOther
steel series wow cataclysm 14button programable  wolfking sniper Intel PRO PT dual port PCIe server NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1565 of 2769
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcooperjr View Post


Yeah the HAFX is a high airflow case the one he is running 3x R9 290X's in is a low to medium airflow case coolermaster cosmos so the heat build up in his case would be easily 2-3 times as much compared to yours which would drastically increase the potential for thermal throttling. Regardless 3x R9 290X's should easily be able to record with fraps and still get 60FPS@1440p especialy being powered by a I7 4820k on Crysis 3 do you not agree.


My case has changed to a 540 Air Corsair. My temps are around 70C for all video cards under load. And again guys Crysis 3 works different with resolutions and scaling versus single to multi monitors. Most games scale by selecting Texutre on high, medium or low. Crysis 3 also does this but it also has a sub system that scales it with single monitor resolutions. So where a game such as BF4 with a monitor at 1080P will produce the same texture resolution on ultra at 1080P and 1440P crysis 3 will be higher at 1440P and not 1080P. This is what the HD Texture pack did for crysis 3 when it was first released.
Almost done
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4820K Gigabyte X79-UP4 Evga GTX 980 ti Gskill Sniper 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Hataichi  Caviar Black Caviar Black Agility 3  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 530 series Intel 530 series ThermalTake Extreme 2.0 Windows 8.1 64bit 
PowerCaseAudio
EVGA supernova 1300watts Corsair 540 Air Asus Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
Almost done
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4820K Gigabyte X79-UP4 Evga GTX 980 ti Gskill Sniper 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Hataichi  Caviar Black Caviar Black Agility 3  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 530 series Intel 530 series ThermalTake Extreme 2.0 Windows 8.1 64bit 
PowerCaseAudio
EVGA supernova 1300watts Corsair 540 Air Asus Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1566 of 2769
Depends on the motherboard as well - I have an HAF-X 942 and 2x290X (for a couple weeks in Dec) - the top one had a Gelid on the top one, and stock on the bottom - and it was throttling after awhile (both cards overclocked to 1100mhz stock voltages). It was even worse when the stock was on the top.

This was with the open tower (closed w/ 230mm as intake was worse) in a spare bedroom, alone, with 0 heat in December, in Canada. Ambient temps was probably 17-20C at the time.

This was with the Asus P8Z68-V Pro motherboard.

It mightve been better at stock speeds, but i dont remember.
Edited by jerrolds - 2/7/14 at 2:42pm
post #1567 of 2769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard2lx View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcooperjr View Post


exactly my thinking my 2x 7970's Matrix's ran crysis 3 maxxed out without issues and stayed above 80+ FPS @1080p and on 5760x1080 eyefinity stayed around 60+ FPS if 3x R9 290X's are hitting below 60FPS on Crysis 3 man you got issues somewhere because 3x R9 290X's are easily 150%-225% faster on theyre worst day than my 2x 7970's were. So I would seriously be getting worried or trying to find out what is going on maxxed out at 7680x1600 eyefinity I would expect 60+ FPS with 3x R9 290X's ( remember your performance is suppose to be better than 2x SLI Nvidia GTX Titans performance wise ) around $2000 worth of GPU's running under 60FPS on crysis 3 I would be madder than hell.

3x R9 290X's are suppose to outperform 2x Nvidia GTX Titans in nearly all situations / games by quite a bit and 2 titans run Crysis 3 maxxed at 5760x1080 res pretty well if i remember correctly like 60FPS or so. So you going under 60FPS in 1440p something is very wrong with 3x R9 290X's or rig itself or all around user / builder error. http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/52189-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-sli/?page=4



I just want to check are they reference cards if so are you running stock cooling and are they in uber mode or quiet mode add to it have you checked for thermal throttling that could easily be issue three cards stacked on top of each other of that nature with known heat issues causing thermal throttling could drastically hurt performance by around 50% or more per card due to thermal throttling.

I would also want to point out coolermaster cosmos OEM doesn't have the best airflow so that would add even more heat build up to picture anytime you run air cooling and do multi card setup go with high air flow cases or go liquid cooling otherwise you chance exact situation even more. The point is 3-4x 120mm/140mm low RPM silent fans in that case wont get that heat out so it will turn into an oven in that case in short time of running it hard amplifying the thermal throttling issue even farther. To add to it 3 cards stacked on top of each other known individually even in open air cases / test benches of overheating and thermal throttling so in a low-medium air flow case the ambient temps would be much higher inside case making cooling the cards 10x-15x harder increasing potential overheating / thermal throttling issues insanely.

One of best cases for multi card setups and air cooling is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160 Cooler Master HAF 932.

What kind of AA where you using at 1080p to stay above 80+ FPS with everything maxed out?


at high resolutions AA does not help graphics much and also often causes input lag so I dont use AA much.
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 5820k 4.6ghz core 4.3ghz CPU cache 1.345v asus sabertooth X99 sold R9 290x's am currently running a R9 280A X... 16gb of ddr4 corsair vengeance LPX 3200mhz 1t 1... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
M.2 Toshiba OCZ RD400 512gb ASUS DVD rw  liquid cooled cpu and gpu's windows 10 pro 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3 x 32lcd/led 2560x1600 wolfking timberwolf EVGA supernova 1300w G2  Thermaltake core X9 
MouseMouse PadOther
steel series wow cataclysm 14button programable  wolfking sniper Intel PRO PT dual port PCIe server NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 5820k 4.6ghz core 4.3ghz CPU cache 1.345v asus sabertooth X99 sold R9 290x's am currently running a R9 280A X... 16gb of ddr4 corsair vengeance LPX 3200mhz 1t 1... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
M.2 Toshiba OCZ RD400 512gb ASUS DVD rw  liquid cooled cpu and gpu's windows 10 pro 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3 x 32lcd/led 2560x1600 wolfking timberwolf EVGA supernova 1300w G2  Thermaltake core X9 
MouseMouse PadOther
steel series wow cataclysm 14button programable  wolfking sniper Intel PRO PT dual port PCIe server NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1568 of 2769
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcooperjr View Post

at high resolutions AA does not help graphics much and also often causes input lag so I dont use AA much.

AA disabled got me around 120-150FPS average, now im also using the first part of the game where your escaping the oil plant which seems to be the hardest part of the game to run. With the odds drop down to 60 in some areas. Now this could be a driver related thing but im not sure.
Edited by kdawgmaster - 2/7/14 at 2:57pm
Almost done
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4820K Gigabyte X79-UP4 Evga GTX 980 ti Gskill Sniper 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Hataichi  Caviar Black Caviar Black Agility 3  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 530 series Intel 530 series ThermalTake Extreme 2.0 Windows 8.1 64bit 
PowerCaseAudio
EVGA supernova 1300watts Corsair 540 Air Asus Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
Almost done
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4820K Gigabyte X79-UP4 Evga GTX 980 ti Gskill Sniper 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Hataichi  Caviar Black Caviar Black Agility 3  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 530 series Intel 530 series ThermalTake Extreme 2.0 Windows 8.1 64bit 
PowerCaseAudio
EVGA supernova 1300watts Corsair 540 Air Asus Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1569 of 2769
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcooperjr View Post

at high resolutions AA does not help graphics much and also often causes input lag so I dont use AA much.

Action just got an update to allow for AMD GPU acceleration while recording and now crysis 3 dosnt drop below 100fps while recording 2560X1440 at 30fps
Almost done
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4820K Gigabyte X79-UP4 Evga GTX 980 ti Gskill Sniper 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Hataichi  Caviar Black Caviar Black Agility 3  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 530 series Intel 530 series ThermalTake Extreme 2.0 Windows 8.1 64bit 
PowerCaseAudio
EVGA supernova 1300watts Corsair 540 Air Asus Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
Almost done
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4820K Gigabyte X79-UP4 Evga GTX 980 ti Gskill Sniper 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Hataichi  Caviar Black Caviar Black Agility 3  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 530 series Intel 530 series ThermalTake Extreme 2.0 Windows 8.1 64bit 
PowerCaseAudio
EVGA supernova 1300watts Corsair 540 Air Asus Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1570 of 2769



With everything cranked at 1440p and I think 4xmsaa might be 2xmsaa, I stay pretty much 100-110 fps, but scenes like this drop it down. I think it hit 72 fps right here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › AMD MANTLE Discussion Thread