Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [SP] Microsoft to Let Windows 7 Die Quicker than Windows XP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[SP] Microsoft to Let Windows 7 Die Quicker than Windows XP - Page 41  

post #401 of 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by *ka24e* View Post

Okay, its not a disaster but it could have been better, yes? Not to mention, most Windows 8 users bought their PC with Windows 8 pre-installed.

MS is just being stubborn. They could Include the old style UI as an option and make millions! tongue.gif

You're being stubborn. MS is being innovative. Technology advances and gets better. In 10 years all consumer PCs will be tablets and everything will be using a touch interface.

Windows XP was a pretty dramatic shift from Windows 2000 and 98 SE. People got over it.
Edited by BeerPowered - 10/8/13 at 10:57pm
post #402 of 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerPowered View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by *ka24e* View Post

Okay, its not a disaster but it could have been better, yes? Not to mention, most Windows 8 users bought their PC with Windows 8 pre-installed.

MS is just being stubborn. They could Include the old style UI as an option and make millions! tongue.gif

You're being stubborn. MS is being innovative. Technology advances and gets better. In 10 years all consumer PCs will be tablets and everything will be using a touch interface.

Stubborn maybe, but I did give Windows 8 almost 3 months of my time. As far as tablets, how are people going to be able to play Battlefield 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 etc on a tablet with touch interface?
post #403 of 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by *ka24e* View Post

Stubborn maybe, but I did give Windows 8 almost 3 months of my time. As far as tablets, how are people going to be able to play Battlefield 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 etc on a tablet with touch interface?
I can hookup wired USB XBOX 360 controller to my Nexus 7. And there are bluetooth controllers out right now. Tablet + Bluetooth Controller + Kickstand + Bluetooth headset

Or trade kickstand for WIFI stream to TV, or HDMI.
Alienware 17 R2
(10 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsGraphicsGraphics
i7 4710hq NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M Intel HD 4600 Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 on Alienware Graphics Am... 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
16GB DDR3-3200 750GB Crucial MX300 SSD Windows 10 Home 64-bit 27" ASUS  
KeyboardMouse
Logitech G710 Logitech G602 
  hide details  
Alienware 17 R2
(10 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsGraphicsGraphics
i7 4710hq NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M Intel HD 4600 Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 on Alienware Graphics Am... 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
16GB DDR3-3200 750GB Crucial MX300 SSD Windows 10 Home 64-bit 27" ASUS  
KeyboardMouse
Logitech G710 Logitech G602 
  hide details  
post #404 of 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by *ka24e* View Post

Stubborn maybe, but I did give Windows 8 almost 3 months of my time. As far as tablets, how are people going to be able to play Battlefield 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 etc on a tablet with touch interface?

Something akin to this

EDIT: We all laughed at Razer for this, including myself, but they are just a couple years ahead of the game. Tablets with SSDs, x86 CPUs, and GPUs, are the future.
Edited by BeerPowered - 10/8/13 at 11:12pm
post #405 of 538
So I guess according to people like ka24e MS should just make Win7 for the rest of time? I mean, obviously they can never, EVER make an OS that doesn't function in the exact same way as Win95 did 18 years ago. It must always have a start button and menu, a taskbar, and a desktop with small icons that never change in any way. That will make for the perfect OS that everybody will be happy with for the rest of time! rolleyes.gif
post #406 of 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by *ka24e* View Post

Stubborn maybe, but I did give Windows 8 almost 3 months of my time. As far as tablets, how are people going to be able to play Battlefield 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 etc on a tablet with touch interface?

Just because something has a touch interface doesn't mean it has to be used. USB ports will most likely be used on devices for the foreseeable future, as well as some form of hdmi/display port. Mice, keyboards, and big monitors aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

And personally, I have never had issues using a mouse with a "touch interface". Maybe its all my years of gaming, but I think I could use just about any gui with a mouse and find it easy. Isn't that the entire idea behind a mouse, that its easy to use on a screen? Doesn't matter what I am pressing or how I am moving it, its still a mouse and a cursor.
Gaming Machine
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i3/i5/i7 2600k [@ 4.4 GHz] Asrock z77 Extreme 4 EVGA GTX570 SC G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Western Digital Green Kingston HyperX 3K Western Digital Black Swiftech H220 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8 Pro asus vs239 asus vh238 Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 V2 Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 2013 Razer Krait Asus Xonar D1 
Audio
Audio-Technica ATH-A700X  
  hide details  
Gaming Machine
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i3/i5/i7 2600k [@ 4.4 GHz] Asrock z77 Extreme 4 EVGA GTX570 SC G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Western Digital Green Kingston HyperX 3K Western Digital Black Swiftech H220 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8 Pro asus vs239 asus vh238 Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 V2 Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 2013 Razer Krait Asus Xonar D1 
Audio
Audio-Technica ATH-A700X  
  hide details  
post #407 of 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

So I guess according to people like ka24e MS should just make Win7 for the rest of time? I mean, obviously they can never, EVER make an OS that doesn't function in the exact same way as Win95 did 18 years ago. It must always have a start button and menu, a taskbar, and a desktop with small icons that never change in any way. That will make for the perfect OS that everybody will be happy with for the rest of time! rolleyes.gif

Sarcastic post is sarcastic.

Apparently you missed the part were I stated I used W8 for almost 3 months. The UI wasn't the issue really, I actually started to get used to it. I switched back to 7 for numerous reasons, but in general I didn't find W8 to offer anything new that I needed, and I noticed no improvements in speed or efficiency. Like I said above, this is my opinion.

As far as the UI goes, I personally don't have an issue with it but It just seems they tailored it more towards touch and MS kinda left the desktop user to adjust. Much like Linux. The reason why most people (by most people, I mean people who just want a computer to work, not enthusiasts) don't run Linux, even tho its free, would be because of the UI. The average person doesn't want to spend hours learning a new OS or doing any coding. They want to click and go.

As far as the "It must have a start button", seriously, Windows has had a start menu since Windows 95. If you ever had the pleasure of working with any variant of the DOS OS, you'll know how awesome the introduction of the start menu / task bar was. The start menu was a no brainier over the DOS prompt. The start menu vs the Metro UI is just... silly. Changing the UI just for the sake of changing it it ridiculous, and on top of that making the entire OS bland and blocky just makes it worse.

The early adopters that got W8 for $30 got a good deal, which is why I purchased it. If I would have waited and spent $119.99 or $199.99 for the Pro version of Windows 8 I would be very pissed off.
post #408 of 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by *ka24e* View Post

Windows XP was supposed to be 'dead' years ago, yet people are still sticking with it. People will still be using it even after MS drops any and all support.

Everyone who has an XP machine that absolutely has to upgrade will go with Windows 7. Look at the Vista fiasco. Very few businesses dropped XP for Vista. Those who did go with Vista promptly upgrade to Windows 7.

MS made the same mistake twice in a row. XP was great, Vista flopped. Windows 7 is great, Windows 8 is a disaster. I'm speaking strictly from a business / average consumer standpoint.

Businesses aren't going to drop 7, especially when they just completed migrating to 7. So stop bringing businesses into this. Business sales only matter at the end of major product life cycles, which in this case will be 2020. 8 isn't going to sell to businesses, and 9 (2015-2016) probably won't either, as they'll wait for 10 (2017-2019).

Vista had an entirely different set of problems from 8. 8 is exactly like 7 from a functional point of view, in that all programs work, all hardware work, and there are minimal compatibility issues. Vista had major compatibility and driver issues, such that it was barely functional. Microsoft screwed that up in taking too long to release Vista, and weren't able to get the functional bugs fixed in time, hence the extended support of XP. I can almost guarantee you that they will try to keep the same thing from happening with 9 and 10, they will want all the functional bugs fixed so that businesses will have a proper working OS when it comes time to upgrade.

Also, Vista after the service packs were nowhere near that bad. I had a Vista laptop, didn't bother upgrading it to 7 at all because there was absolutely no financial reason to do so. There was absolutely nothing Windows 7 offered over Vista on that $300 Compaq laptop.
Millenium Falcon
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4930k MSI Big Bang Xpower II EVGA GTX 690 Patriot Viper II Sector 7 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Deneva 2 Corsair Force 3 Maxtor Western Digital Green 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung BD/DVD-RW Swiftech MCP655 x2 Black Ice GTX 480 Black Ice GTX 280 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool Repack Dual D5 Watercool Heatkiller 3.0 Alphacool GTX 690 fullcover Bitspower Big Bang Xpower II fullcover 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 64-bit Professional 3x Dell S2340 Max Keyboard Durandal CoolerMaster V1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Azza Genesis 9000B Logitech G700 Roccat Alumic Onkyo HT-S9100THX 
  hide details  
Millenium Falcon
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4930k MSI Big Bang Xpower II EVGA GTX 690 Patriot Viper II Sector 7 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Deneva 2 Corsair Force 3 Maxtor Western Digital Green 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung BD/DVD-RW Swiftech MCP655 x2 Black Ice GTX 480 Black Ice GTX 280 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool Repack Dual D5 Watercool Heatkiller 3.0 Alphacool GTX 690 fullcover Bitspower Big Bang Xpower II fullcover 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 64-bit Professional 3x Dell S2340 Max Keyboard Durandal CoolerMaster V1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Azza Genesis 9000B Logitech G700 Roccat Alumic Onkyo HT-S9100THX 
  hide details  
post #409 of 538
Wasn't there a survey for how small-mid business change their hardware and software that warrants it never goes as how M$' plans ? Most people really don't care about new OSes biggrin.gif
Intel Evilnow
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k 4ghz @ Offset -0.015 Asus P8P67 Evo (bios 3207) Sapphire 280x Tri-x 3GB OC (Stock 1020/1500 Non... G.Skill RipjawsX 2x4gb 1866mhz 9-10-9-28-2n @ 1.5v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
SHSS37A120G WD5000AAKX-001CA0 WD20EARX WD20EZRZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD5001AALS-00L3B2 (Now External) ASUS DRW-1814BLT Noctua NH-u12p SE2 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VH242H Wobbly Stand :) Microsoft Ergo 4000 Enermax Infiniti 650 (28a,28a,30a) Cooler Master haf 912 Advanced 
MouseOther
A4tech x7 F3 Sunbeam RHK-EX-BA Rheobus-Extreme Fan Controlle... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x6 1090t BE 3.6/4.0 Turbo@def.volt MSI K9A2 Platinum v1 Sapphire HD6850 1GB 850/1100@def.volt Kingston 2x2gb Hyperx 1066 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Western Digital WD5001AALS Seagate Barracuda ST3250410AS Asus DRW-1814BLT Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VH242H 23.6" Wobbly Stand :D Microsoft Ergo 4000 Enermax Infiniti 650w (28a,28a,30a) Thermaltake Kandalf SuperTower 
Mouse
A4 tech Swop-3 
  hide details  
Intel Evilnow
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k 4ghz @ Offset -0.015 Asus P8P67 Evo (bios 3207) Sapphire 280x Tri-x 3GB OC (Stock 1020/1500 Non... G.Skill RipjawsX 2x4gb 1866mhz 9-10-9-28-2n @ 1.5v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
SHSS37A120G WD5000AAKX-001CA0 WD20EARX WD20EZRZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD5001AALS-00L3B2 (Now External) ASUS DRW-1814BLT Noctua NH-u12p SE2 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VH242H Wobbly Stand :) Microsoft Ergo 4000 Enermax Infiniti 650 (28a,28a,30a) Cooler Master haf 912 Advanced 
MouseOther
A4tech x7 F3 Sunbeam RHK-EX-BA Rheobus-Extreme Fan Controlle... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x6 1090t BE 3.6/4.0 Turbo@def.volt MSI K9A2 Platinum v1 Sapphire HD6850 1GB 850/1100@def.volt Kingston 2x2gb Hyperx 1066 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Western Digital WD5001AALS Seagate Barracuda ST3250410AS Asus DRW-1814BLT Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VH242H 23.6" Wobbly Stand :D Microsoft Ergo 4000 Enermax Infiniti 650w (28a,28a,30a) Thermaltake Kandalf SuperTower 
Mouse
A4 tech Swop-3 
  hide details  
post #410 of 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsumi View Post


Businesses aren't going to drop 7, especially when they just completed migrating to 7. So stop bringing businesses into this. Business sales only matter at the end of major product life cycles, which in this case will be 2020. 8 isn't going to sell to businesses, and 9 (2015-2016) probably won't either, as they'll wait for 10 (2017-2019).

Vista had an entirely different set of problems from 8. 8 is exactly like 7 from a functional point of view, in that all programs work, all hardware work, and there are minimal compatibility issues. Vista had major compatibility and driver issues, such that it was barely functional. Microsoft screwed that up in taking too long to release Vista, and weren't able to get the functional bugs fixed in time, hence the extended support of XP. I can almost guarantee you that they will try to keep the same thing from happening with 9 and 10, they will want all the functional bugs fixed so that businesses will have a proper working OS when it comes time to upgrade.

Also, Vista after the service packs were nowhere near that bad. I had a Vista laptop, didn't bother upgrading it to 7 at all because there was absolutely no financial reason to do so. There was absolutely nothing Windows 7 offered over Vista on that $300 Compaq laptop.

I never said businesses would drop 7, they would do the opposite. Move from XP to W7 and forget about it for 10 years or until they absolutely have to upgrade. As far as W7 offering nothing over Vista, I understand completely. Your experience with Vista pretty much sums up mine with Windows 8. It didn't offer anything of use over W7 so why keep it? I only purchased it to try out because it was cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catscratch View Post

Wasn't there a survey for how small-mid business change their hardware and software that warrants it never goes as how M$' plans ? Most people really don't care about new OSes biggrin.gif

Exactly. It's gotten to the point where most small businesses that only use computers for storage / records don't have any reason to upgrade. Spending money on a new OS is just not in the budget or even needed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [SP] Microsoft to Let Windows 7 Die Quicker than Windows XP