Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › Corsair 750D Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Corsair 750D Owners Club - Page 866

post #8651 of 9619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftame View Post

Ah, interesting, I had never even considered that approach, you just gave me a whole bunch of new ideas on how to do it.
My plan is to use EKs spider mount and attach the pump to the bottom innermost 120 fan (and use the fan to cool the pump motor as I'm going with the DDC). As my gfx card is too long the res won't pass beside the card, but the 150mm one will fit just underneath it with millimeters to spare (pump/res combo).
Using a variation on your mounting might do the trick for a bigger res (or just separate). I still need to house 2 HDs in the cage though, but as I want air between them I'll leave the middle slot empty and that gives me one hole, I could then cut up the second unused cage and just leave a L shape (roof and inner wall) to get a mounting place for the second hole.

And now I just thought of another idea not blocking any HDs, get one of EK's L-shaped mounting thingies (https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-uni-holder-50-70) and mount it through the bottom of the HD cage. That should make for a clean and adaptable mounting point for a res.

I'm glad i could give some ideas

The L-shaped thingies could be a good solution. I also tried this morning to mount the pump onto to rad, to minimize vibrations, but I think it would restrict the airflow to much. Ill mount it back to the front and then move the pump a little bit clockwise, so the tube to the rad is going in a straight line.
I'm a bit of perfectionist in some details biggrin.gif
post #8652 of 9619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Dude View Post

I'm glad i could give some ideas

The L-shaped thingies could be a good solution. I also tried this morning to mount the pump onto to rad, to minimize vibrations, but I think it would restrict the airflow to much. Ill mount it back to the front and then move the pump a little bit clockwise, so the tube to the rad is going in a straight line.
I'm a bit of perfectionist in some details biggrin.gif

Oh believe me, I know the feeling. Going nuts scratching my head trying to figure out the best look and cleanest build (hard when you have to visualize it all and have no physical components to test with..
One thing I've thought of with the L-thing is mounting the short end to the cage like you do and drill an extra hole there, that way only one HD space would be lost (and one I don't use anyway, while needing the other two). Then I'd mount the second one in the set to that one in a cross pattern and the clamps to that. that would give me a slightly height, width and depth adjustable mount for the res that holds it from behind (cleaner view than side mounted). The spacing between the clamps would be roughly 60mm and I think it should be secure enough (do you think it would be possible to hold the 150mm res with just one clamp?)
My current idea (after your inspiring photos, thank you) is mounting the res as described above, and as I will have the end-tank of the rad in the front,
tube from the res down to a 90deg fitting into the backside of the res. Then use one of the bottom holes of the res straight down to the pump top.

What worries me now a bit is that my planned drain system might not actually work. I was planning on using one of EK's rotating y-splitters to split the out from the pump into loop and drain, From the drain side of the split a rotatable male-male extender and then their ball-valve. Other end of valve would be a fitting and a length of hose (removable, could get a plug for when it's unused). The problem I see now is that since the pump is sitting on the innermost fan that idea might not work because it could get too tight with the PSU.
The only other ports to use for teh drain would then be from the res which would be way to high up in the system for effective draining.

For mounting your pump onto a rad/fan without impeding the airflow too much, have you considered this one?
https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-uni-pump-bracket-120mm-fan
Edited by Wolftame - 11/10/15 at 8:57am
post #8653 of 9619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftame View Post

Oh believe me, I know the feeling. Going nuts scratching my head trying to figure out the best look and cleanest build (hard when you have to visualize it all and have no physical components to test with..
One thing I've thought of with the L-thing is mounting the short end to the cage like you do and drill an extra hole there, that way only one HD space would be lost (and one I don't use anyway, while needing the other two). Then I'd mount the second one in the set to that one in a cross pattern and the clamps to that. that would give me a slightly height, width and depth adjustable mount for the res that holds it from behind (cleaner view than side mounted). The spacing between the clamps would be roughly 60mm and I think it should be secure enough (do you think it would be possible to hold the 150mm res with just one clamp?)
My current idea (after your inspiring photos, thank you) is mounting the res as described above, and as I will have the end-tank of the rad in the front,
tube from the res down to a 90deg fitting into the backside of the res. Then use one of the bottom holes of the res straight down to the pump top.

What worries me now a bit is that my planned drain system might not actually work. I was planning on using one of EK's rotating y-splitters to split the out from the pump into loop and drain, From the drain side of the split a rotatable male-male extender and then their ball-valve. Other end of valve would be a fitting and a length of hose (removable, could get a plug for when it's unused). The problem I see now is that since the pump is sitting on the innermost fan that idea might not work because it could get too tight with the PSU.
The only other ports to use for teh drain would then be from the res which would be way to high up in the system for effective draining.

For mounting your pump onto a rad/fan without impeding the airflow too much, have you considered this one?
https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-uni-pump-bracket-120mm-fan

Hmm, I think one clamp would surely hold the weight, the force on the res is very good if tightened. But then it could maybe tilt, because the clamp uses only one screw, I wouldn't risk it.

My pump is mounted with this holding mechanism -> https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-uni-pump-bracket-120mm-fan-vertical
And while using the 120mm mounting points in the front there is more distance from the rad.

For draining I'm still waiting on a 90° angled adapter from EK and will combine it with the alphacool eiszapfen



It should arrive tomorrow and I'll fit it on one of the red marked spots.

One thing I'll have to see it to decide whether to use it or not is the ek multiport top. Currently my loop is ending in the top of the res, so I've no fillport. The only chance to get this done is by using the multi port top.

Otherwise I could open the res, fill it and let the normal top lying loose on it, while filling the system. If the loop is running and most of the air is gone I can screw the top, so there is no need for a fill port.
post #8654 of 9619
Interesting, I will be curious to see the end result. After this little discussion I'm pretty sure I will go with separate pump and res instead of the combo I was planning to use. It will require some modding to the case and HD cage though (considering cutting out a square in the bottom of the cage to allow air from the bottom fan to directly cool the bottom of a HD as well).
With separate pump/res fill port isn't an issue, I will just unscrew the top as my in from the radiator (end of loop) will go into one of the bottom back holes of the res (should work for you too, but if you already have the multiport top why not use it). With my previous plan with the pump/res combo filling was an issue as the GFX card would block me from removing the top, I would have had to undo the plug in the top and fill through that (not an big issue).
I'm pretty confident I can make it look nice and work well now, my remaining concern is the drain system. My plan is good I think, but not sure if it will actually fit.
post #8655 of 9619
Just finished up a new build first try at water cooling. Think it came out pretty good. With the hard Acrylic tubing.
post #8656 of 9619
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlterisL View Post

Just finished up a new build first try at water cooling. Think it came out pretty good. With the hard Acrylic tubing. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



VERY well done for your first! Those rads look sick! What fans are those?
 
Spare Parts
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i5 750 Lynnfield Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 ASUS Strix GTX 960 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin... 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Crucial BX100 SSD 500GB EKWB EK-KIT L120 Corsair SP120 Koolance 2x140mm Radiator HX-CU1402V 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair AF140 Bitspower VG-NGTX960 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung Curved 27" S27D590C 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Strafe RGB Apevia Iceburg 680 watts Apevia X-Sniper 2 EVGA Torq X3 Laser 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom 9750 ASUS M3A78-CM PNY XLR8 GTX 460 Corsair XMS2 (4 x 1GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingPower
Hitachi 5K500 Silenx 92mm EFFIZIO Corsair SP 120 Red LED Antec 500watt 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-6400 Skylake ASRock A170A-X1/3.1 Gigabye G1 Gaming GTX 970 Windforce CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DD... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Bykski CPU-XPR-A High Performance Acrylic Nicke... EKWB Acrylic Nickel GPU Block Monsoon MMRS Reservoir Bykski BY-PUMP-XPH-PA Water Cooling Pump 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Koolance 240 30 FPI Radiator Magicool 280 14 FPI Radiator Bitfenix Spectre PWM 120mm Fan ML140 140mm PWM Premium Magnetic Levitation Fan 
OSPowerCase
Windows 10 Pro Corsair RM Series 850 Thermaltake Suppressor F31 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Spare Parts
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i5 750 Lynnfield Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 ASUS Strix GTX 960 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin... 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Crucial BX100 SSD 500GB EKWB EK-KIT L120 Corsair SP120 Koolance 2x140mm Radiator HX-CU1402V 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair AF140 Bitspower VG-NGTX960 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung Curved 27" S27D590C 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Strafe RGB Apevia Iceburg 680 watts Apevia X-Sniper 2 EVGA Torq X3 Laser 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom 9750 ASUS M3A78-CM PNY XLR8 GTX 460 Corsair XMS2 (4 x 1GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingPower
Hitachi 5K500 Silenx 92mm EFFIZIO Corsair SP 120 Red LED Antec 500watt 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-6400 Skylake ASRock A170A-X1/3.1 Gigabye G1 Gaming GTX 970 Windforce CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DD... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Bykski CPU-XPR-A High Performance Acrylic Nicke... EKWB Acrylic Nickel GPU Block Monsoon MMRS Reservoir Bykski BY-PUMP-XPH-PA Water Cooling Pump 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Koolance 240 30 FPI Radiator Magicool 280 14 FPI Radiator Bitfenix Spectre PWM 120mm Fan ML140 140mm PWM Premium Magnetic Levitation Fan 
OSPowerCase
Windows 10 Pro Corsair RM Series 850 Thermaltake Suppressor F31 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8657 of 9619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftame View Post

Interesting, I will be curious to see the end result. After this little discussion I'm pretty sure I will go with separate pump and res instead of the combo I was planning to use. It will require some modding to the case and HD cage though (considering cutting out a square in the bottom of the cage to allow air from the bottom fan to directly cool the bottom of a HD as well).
With separate pump/res fill port isn't an issue, I will just unscrew the top as my in from the radiator (end of loop) will go into one of the bottom back holes of the res (should work for you too, but if you already have the multiport top why not use it). With my previous plan with the pump/res combo filling was an issue as the GFX card would block me from removing the top, I would have had to undo the plug in the top and fill through that (not an big issue).
I'm pretty confident I can make it look nice and work well now, my remaining concern is the drain system. My plan is good I think, but not sure if it will actually fit.

What you could do, if you can move the res up is using one bracket at the hdd cage and one of the L-shaped holders inside the 5,25" cage, if you don't need the space.

So you don't need to drill somewhere and can still use 2 disks, but the space between the res-top and the upper radiator will be very small, depending on your config.
post #8658 of 9619
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlterisL View Post

Just finished up a new build first try at water cooling. Think it came out pretty good. With the hard Acrylic tubing.

Looks very very good, and I'm always impressed on those sleeved lines. I think I wouldn't have the patience to do it biggrin.gif
post #8659 of 9619
Fans are Cougar CFV12HPB 12mm
post #8660 of 9619
Ordered my Nemesis 420GTS today from the UK (I'm in Sweden). Once it gets here I can check what modding needs to be done to make it fit, once I start doing that I will sort the HD cage for res mounting as well. I will take pictures and post to document my experience.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Cases
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › Corsair 750D Owners Club