Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Why are Hard Drives Still So Expensive?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why are Hard Drives Still So Expensive? - Page 3

post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalTimbo View Post

Rather than ask me that question, why not check the graph I've provided, and see that it's an irrelevant question?! The prices of SSDs have stagnated, it's a fact!

Nope. Give me more evidence first. One graph does not make an argument, especially because of that thing about lies, damned lies, and statistics. If you look at that chart, you'll notice that prices plummeted after the release of the M500 line in the spring and have since stagnated. They're out of production so more and more of those prices are from the second-hand market (i.e. Amazon Marketplace in that graph) and are more-or-less irrelevant to your argument.
Triumvirate
(20 items)
 
Osmium
(8 items)
 
EleMINT 24
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Xeon E3-1226 v3 ASRock Z97M OC Formula Sapphire RX 480 (reference) MSI Low-Profile 750Ti 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston Blu Red - 2x4GB ADATA XPG - 2x4GB Crucial M500 960GB Samsung 840 250GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
WD Scorpio Blue 1TB Cooler Master 212+ PNY Quadro 600 blower Corsair H55 + Kraken G10 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro ASUS VE247H - 1080p Gateway FPD1960 - 1280x1024 Rosewill RK9000I - Cherry MX Blue 
PowerCaseMouseOther
Rosewill HIVE 650W Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 Razer DeathAdder 2013 CyberPower 1500PFCLCD 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A10-7870K ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ G.Skill Ripjaws X - 2x4GB @ 2400MT/s Samsung 840 120GB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Evercool EC-HPS-810CP Windows 7 Pro 64-bit PicoPSU-120-WI-25 Mini-Box M350 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i3-4005U OEM Intel HD 4200 4GB DDR3 (soldered) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
MyDigitalSSD Super Boot Eco 120GB Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 1366x768 TN panel :'( brick 
  hide details  
Reply
Triumvirate
(20 items)
 
Osmium
(8 items)
 
EleMINT 24
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Xeon E3-1226 v3 ASRock Z97M OC Formula Sapphire RX 480 (reference) MSI Low-Profile 750Ti 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston Blu Red - 2x4GB ADATA XPG - 2x4GB Crucial M500 960GB Samsung 840 250GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
WD Scorpio Blue 1TB Cooler Master 212+ PNY Quadro 600 blower Corsair H55 + Kraken G10 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro ASUS VE247H - 1080p Gateway FPD1960 - 1280x1024 Rosewill RK9000I - Cherry MX Blue 
PowerCaseMouseOther
Rosewill HIVE 650W Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 Razer DeathAdder 2013 CyberPower 1500PFCLCD 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A10-7870K ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ G.Skill Ripjaws X - 2x4GB @ 2400MT/s Samsung 840 120GB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Evercool EC-HPS-810CP Windows 7 Pro 64-bit PicoPSU-120-WI-25 Mini-Box M350 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i3-4005U OEM Intel HD 4200 4GB DDR3 (soldered) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
MyDigitalSSD Super Boot Eco 120GB Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 1366x768 TN panel :'( brick 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 25
I wouldn't exactly say that HDD's are "expensive". From where they used to be 10, even 5 years ago, they're dirt cheap for the performance and capacity you receive. However, the HDD market has essentially been reduced to a duopoly; that is never good for competition, no matter what market sector it is in.
Up in the Air
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 Asus M5a99fx Pro r2.0 PowerColor 7850 2GBD5-2DHE/OC + Arctic Accelero S1 Kingston HyperX 8GB 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM WD Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM Asus 24x DVD-RW Zalman CNPS14X 
OSOSMonitorPower
Ubuntu 14.04 x64 Windows 8.1 x64 HP w2207 Seasonic SS-660XP2 ATX 
CaseOther
Corsair 540 Air Crucial MX100 256GB 
  hide details  
Reply
Up in the Air
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 Asus M5a99fx Pro r2.0 PowerColor 7850 2GBD5-2DHE/OC + Arctic Accelero S1 Kingston HyperX 8GB 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM WD Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM Asus 24x DVD-RW Zalman CNPS14X 
OSOSMonitorPower
Ubuntu 14.04 x64 Windows 8.1 x64 HP w2207 Seasonic SS-660XP2 ATX 
CaseOther
Corsair 540 Air Crucial MX100 256GB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalUnicorn View Post

Nope. Give me more evidence first. One graph does not make an argument, especially because of that thing about lies, damned lies, and statistics. If you look at that chart, you'll notice that prices plummeted after the release of the M500 line in the spring and have since stagnated. They're out of production so more and more of those prices are from the second-hand market (i.e. Amazon Marketplace in that graph) and are more-or-less irrelevant to your argument.

Nope, wrong again! That graph doesn't include second hand, or third-party sellers; it's just the new price, direct from Amazon.

As for trawling the web, looking for more graphs you won't be able to comprehend, no thanks! You'll likely dismiss them one, by one, or label them anecdotal.

I'd be much happier if you went off scouring the web, that way I can be the one to enjoy demolishing the hard found facts, and deceitful graphs. Fact is you're wrong, and your minds made up about it; why waste my time trying to change that.

However since you mention the M4's successor as the causal agent, I will post the graph for that;



Same typical sudo drop, you always get with new drives to begin with, but look at that, where's the low point, that's right, many months ago!
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalTimbo View Post

Nope, wrong again! That graph doesn't include second hand, or third-party sellers; it's just the new price, direct from Amazon.

As for trawling the web, looking for more graphs you won't be able to comprehend, no thanks! You'll likely dismiss them one, by one, or label them anecdotal.

I'd be much happier if you went off scouring the web, that way I can be the one to enjoy demolishing the hard found facts, and deceitful graphs. Fact is you're wrong, and your minds made up about it; why waste my time trying to change that.

However since you mention the M4's successor as the causal agent, I will post the graph for that;

*graphs, man, graphs!*

Same typical sudo drop, you always get with new drives to begin with, but look at that, where's the low point, that's right, many months ago!

1) I can't be wrong again as that was my first post in this thread
2) That graphs shows a 16.5% price cut from the initial to current price for the M500s and the extended sale is more like 25%
3) I'll label something as anecdotal if it's clearly an anecdote (e.g. your Black Friday tale, which is atypical of SSD prices to say the least) and will dismiss it without more evidence
4) You're being either hypocritical or inconsistent: the price on Amazon you just checked for the M4s is from a third-party seller, but your original graph doesn't include third-party prices. That's irrelevant.
5) It's pseudo-, not sudo- (the former being a prefix, the latter being a Linux modifier)
6) Ad hominen attacks? Awesome! I guess I win by default, right?

Looking at the price trend of a single drive is an awful way to get the big picture. You need to look at 240-256GB (quarter terabyte +/- a bit) drive price trends as a whole. Unfortunately I have neither the time nor energy to find anything, and with that attitude, no need. Burden of proof falls on you anyway.
Triumvirate
(20 items)
 
Osmium
(8 items)
 
EleMINT 24
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Xeon E3-1226 v3 ASRock Z97M OC Formula Sapphire RX 480 (reference) MSI Low-Profile 750Ti 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston Blu Red - 2x4GB ADATA XPG - 2x4GB Crucial M500 960GB Samsung 840 250GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
WD Scorpio Blue 1TB Cooler Master 212+ PNY Quadro 600 blower Corsair H55 + Kraken G10 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro ASUS VE247H - 1080p Gateway FPD1960 - 1280x1024 Rosewill RK9000I - Cherry MX Blue 
PowerCaseMouseOther
Rosewill HIVE 650W Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 Razer DeathAdder 2013 CyberPower 1500PFCLCD 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A10-7870K ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ G.Skill Ripjaws X - 2x4GB @ 2400MT/s Samsung 840 120GB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Evercool EC-HPS-810CP Windows 7 Pro 64-bit PicoPSU-120-WI-25 Mini-Box M350 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i3-4005U OEM Intel HD 4200 4GB DDR3 (soldered) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
MyDigitalSSD Super Boot Eco 120GB Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 1366x768 TN panel :'( brick 
  hide details  
Reply
Triumvirate
(20 items)
 
Osmium
(8 items)
 
EleMINT 24
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Xeon E3-1226 v3 ASRock Z97M OC Formula Sapphire RX 480 (reference) MSI Low-Profile 750Ti 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston Blu Red - 2x4GB ADATA XPG - 2x4GB Crucial M500 960GB Samsung 840 250GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
WD Scorpio Blue 1TB Cooler Master 212+ PNY Quadro 600 blower Corsair H55 + Kraken G10 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro ASUS VE247H - 1080p Gateway FPD1960 - 1280x1024 Rosewill RK9000I - Cherry MX Blue 
PowerCaseMouseOther
Rosewill HIVE 650W Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 Razer DeathAdder 2013 CyberPower 1500PFCLCD 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A10-7870K ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ G.Skill Ripjaws X - 2x4GB @ 2400MT/s Samsung 840 120GB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Evercool EC-HPS-810CP Windows 7 Pro 64-bit PicoPSU-120-WI-25 Mini-Box M350 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i3-4005U OEM Intel HD 4200 4GB DDR3 (soldered) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
MyDigitalSSD Super Boot Eco 120GB Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 1366x768 TN panel :'( brick 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalUnicorn View Post

1) I can't be wrong again as that was my first post in this thread
2) That graphs shows a 16.5% price cut from the initial to current price for the M500s and the extended sale is more like 25%
3) I'll label something as anecdotal if it's clearly an anecdote (e.g. your Black Friday tale, which is atypical of SSD prices to say the least) and will dismiss it without more evidence
4) You're being either hypocritical or inconsistent: the price on Amazon you just checked for the M4s is from a third-party seller, but your original graph doesn't include third-party prices. That's irrelevant.
5) It's pseudo-, not sudo- (the former being a prefix, the latter being a Linux modifier)
6) Ad hominen attacks? Awesome! I guess I win by default, right?

Looking at the price trend of a single drive is an awful way to get the big picture. You need to look at 240-256GB (quarter terabyte +/- a bit) drive price trends as a whole. Unfortunately I have neither the time nor energy to find anything, and with that attitude, no need. Burden of proof falls on you anyway.

Flawless victory.buttkick.gif
Up in the Air
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 Asus M5a99fx Pro r2.0 PowerColor 7850 2GBD5-2DHE/OC + Arctic Accelero S1 Kingston HyperX 8GB 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM WD Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM Asus 24x DVD-RW Zalman CNPS14X 
OSOSMonitorPower
Ubuntu 14.04 x64 Windows 8.1 x64 HP w2207 Seasonic SS-660XP2 ATX 
CaseOther
Corsair 540 Air Crucial MX100 256GB 
  hide details  
Reply
Up in the Air
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 Asus M5a99fx Pro r2.0 PowerColor 7850 2GBD5-2DHE/OC + Arctic Accelero S1 Kingston HyperX 8GB 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM WD Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM Asus 24x DVD-RW Zalman CNPS14X 
OSOSMonitorPower
Ubuntu 14.04 x64 Windows 8.1 x64 HP w2207 Seasonic SS-660XP2 ATX 
CaseOther
Corsair 540 Air Crucial MX100 256GB 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hard Drives & Storage
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Why are Hard Drives Still So Expensive?