Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › When will single-platter WD black be launched?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

When will single-platter WD black be launched?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Or will it be even launched at all? The current single-platter blue is faster than black, so I am waiting for the black.
post #2 of 11
Hopefully soon. Apparently the refreshed Scorpio Black line for laptops will all be hybrid drives, and I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same for desktops. After all, HGST (owned by WD) and I think WD themselves acquired NAND flash companies and Seagate currently has a monopoly on hybrids. SSHDs are better performing than HDDs, therefore it would be appropriate for their performance line (Black) to be hybrids and their budget line (Blue) to be pure magnetic disks. But yeah, 500GB platters does not do well for performance HDDs. If you need performance and capacity, go with a new (7200.14) Seagate 2TB drive or RAID 0 Blues for now.
Triumvirate
(20 items)
 
Osmium
(8 items)
 
EleMINT 24
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Xeon E3-1226 v3 ASRock Z97M OC Formula Sapphire RX 480 (reference) MSI Low-Profile 750Ti 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston Blu Red - 2x4GB ADATA XPG - 2x4GB Crucial M500 960GB Samsung 840 250GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
WD Scorpio Blue 1TB Cooler Master 212+ PNY Quadro 600 blower Corsair H55 + Kraken G10 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro ASUS VE247H - 1080p Gateway FPD1960 - 1280x1024 Rosewill RK9000I - Cherry MX Blue 
PowerCaseMouseOther
Rosewill HIVE 650W Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 Razer DeathAdder 2013 CyberPower 1500PFCLCD 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A10-7870K ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ G.Skill Ripjaws X - 2x4GB @ 2400MT/s Samsung 840 120GB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Evercool EC-HPS-810CP Windows 7 Pro 64-bit PicoPSU-120-WI-25 Mini-Box M350 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i3-4005U OEM Intel HD 4200 4GB DDR3 (soldered) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
MyDigitalSSD Super Boot Eco 120GB Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 1366x768 TN panel :'( brick 
  hide details  
Reply
Triumvirate
(20 items)
 
Osmium
(8 items)
 
EleMINT 24
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Xeon E3-1226 v3 ASRock Z97M OC Formula Sapphire RX 480 (reference) MSI Low-Profile 750Ti 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston Blu Red - 2x4GB ADATA XPG - 2x4GB Crucial M500 960GB Samsung 840 250GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
WD Scorpio Blue 1TB Cooler Master 212+ PNY Quadro 600 blower Corsair H55 + Kraken G10 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro ASUS VE247H - 1080p Gateway FPD1960 - 1280x1024 Rosewill RK9000I - Cherry MX Blue 
PowerCaseMouseOther
Rosewill HIVE 650W Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 Razer DeathAdder 2013 CyberPower 1500PFCLCD 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A10-7870K ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ G.Skill Ripjaws X - 2x4GB @ 2400MT/s Samsung 840 120GB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Evercool EC-HPS-810CP Windows 7 Pro 64-bit PicoPSU-120-WI-25 Mini-Box M350 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i3-4005U OEM Intel HD 4200 4GB DDR3 (soldered) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
MyDigitalSSD Super Boot Eco 120GB Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 1366x768 TN panel :'( brick 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalUnicorn View Post

Hopefully soon. Apparently the refreshed Scorpio Black line for laptops will all be hybrid drives, and I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same for desktops. After all, HGST (owned by WD) and I think WD themselves acquired NAND flash companies and Seagate currently has a monopoly on hybrids. SSHDs are better performing than HDDs, therefore it would be appropriate for their performance line (Black) to be hybrids and their budget line (Blue) to be pure magnetic disks. But yeah, 500GB platters does not do well for performance HDDs. If you need performance and capacity, go with a new (7200.14) Seagate 2TB drive or RAID 0 Blues for now.

I see, I guess WD may releases two black version, one is normal HDD and another one is SSHD? I honestly doubt if WD would let its black SSHD comes with 5 years warranty since nand cache with 8-24GB may has pretty high dead ratio for a 24 hours heavy user with almost no repeat pattern programs usage.
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
and I really doubt how long can current seagate sshd 8gb last in long time because 8gb nand write limit can be used up in like 10 years. I want to use harddisk as long as possible and my desktop is over 4 years old. I think it is still fast enough for me but I am out of storage speed and try to get some faster speed but no need for the fastest. My motherboard comes with sata 2 and no ahci so I am still thinking what should I get.
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointerfever View Post

I see, I guess WD may releases two black version, one is normal HDD and another one is SSHD? I honestly doubt if WD would let its black SSHD comes with 5 years warranty since nand cache with 8-24GB may has pretty high dead ratio for a 24 hours heavy user with almost no repeat pattern programs usage.

Nope. I think it's Blacks, Scorpio or Caviar, are all supposed to be hybrid drives. I've only heard rumors though, and the only thing close to confirmation is the 5mm UltraThin 500+24GB drive with the Black label.

8GB and 3000 P/E cycles gets you 24TB total writes. Assuming 1GB is written daily on average (I think that's reasonable for a hybrid drive?), you've got around 60-70 years and the magnetic disk portion will fail before the NAND flash cache every single time guaranteed. Building an SSD is simple; you can do it with a soldering iron if you have the PCB and NAND modules. An HDD requires nanometer precision assembly and must be done in a clean room.

And, completely unrelated, I would like HDD manufacturers to make transparent covers for their drives. It's something I would like to have in combination with an external case with a window in it.
Triumvirate
(20 items)
 
Osmium
(8 items)
 
EleMINT 24
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Xeon E3-1226 v3 ASRock Z97M OC Formula Sapphire RX 480 (reference) MSI Low-Profile 750Ti 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston Blu Red - 2x4GB ADATA XPG - 2x4GB Crucial M500 960GB Samsung 840 250GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
WD Scorpio Blue 1TB Cooler Master 212+ PNY Quadro 600 blower Corsair H55 + Kraken G10 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro ASUS VE247H - 1080p Gateway FPD1960 - 1280x1024 Rosewill RK9000I - Cherry MX Blue 
PowerCaseMouseOther
Rosewill HIVE 650W Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 Razer DeathAdder 2013 CyberPower 1500PFCLCD 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A10-7870K ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ G.Skill Ripjaws X - 2x4GB @ 2400MT/s Samsung 840 120GB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Evercool EC-HPS-810CP Windows 7 Pro 64-bit PicoPSU-120-WI-25 Mini-Box M350 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i3-4005U OEM Intel HD 4200 4GB DDR3 (soldered) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
MyDigitalSSD Super Boot Eco 120GB Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 1366x768 TN panel :'( brick 
  hide details  
Reply
Triumvirate
(20 items)
 
Osmium
(8 items)
 
EleMINT 24
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Xeon E3-1226 v3 ASRock Z97M OC Formula Sapphire RX 480 (reference) MSI Low-Profile 750Ti 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston Blu Red - 2x4GB ADATA XPG - 2x4GB Crucial M500 960GB Samsung 840 250GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
WD Scorpio Blue 1TB Cooler Master 212+ PNY Quadro 600 blower Corsair H55 + Kraken G10 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro ASUS VE247H - 1080p Gateway FPD1960 - 1280x1024 Rosewill RK9000I - Cherry MX Blue 
PowerCaseMouseOther
Rosewill HIVE 650W Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 Razer DeathAdder 2013 CyberPower 1500PFCLCD 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A10-7870K ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ G.Skill Ripjaws X - 2x4GB @ 2400MT/s Samsung 840 120GB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Evercool EC-HPS-810CP Windows 7 Pro 64-bit PicoPSU-120-WI-25 Mini-Box M350 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i3-4005U OEM Intel HD 4200 4GB DDR3 (soldered) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
MyDigitalSSD Super Boot Eco 120GB Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 1366x768 TN panel :'( brick 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalUnicorn View Post

Nope. I think it's Blacks, Scorpio or Caviar, are all supposed to be hybrid drives. I've only heard rumors though, and the only thing close to confirmation is the 5mm UltraThin 500+24GB drive with the Black label.

8GB and 3000 P/E cycles gets you 24TB total writes. Assuming 1GB is written daily on average (I think that's reasonable for a hybrid drive?), you've got around 60-70 years and the magnetic disk portion will fail before the NAND flash cache every single time guaranteed. Building an SSD is simple; you can do it with a soldering iron if you have the PCB and NAND modules. An HDD requires nanometer precision assembly and must be done in a clean room.

And, completely unrelated, I would like HDD manufacturers to make transparent covers for their drives. It's something I would like to have in combination with an external case with a window in it.

You mean you want to see the platter spin inside a transparent case?
My assumption for crazy daily usage volume was too high LOL XD:D
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalUnicorn View Post

Nope. I think it's Blacks, Scorpio or Caviar, are all supposed to be hybrid drives. I've only heard rumors though, and the only thing close to confirmation is the 5mm UltraThin 500+24GB drive with the Black label.

8GB and 3000 P/E cycles gets you 24TB total writes. Assuming 1GB is written daily on average (I think that's reasonable for a hybrid drive?), you've got around 60-70 years and the magnetic disk portion will fail before the NAND flash cache every single time guaranteed. Building an SSD is simple; you can do it with a soldering iron if you have the PCB and NAND modules. An HDD requires nanometer precision assembly and must be done in a clean room.

And, completely unrelated, I would like HDD manufacturers to make transparent covers for their drives. It's something I would like to have in combination with an external case with a window in it.

So HDD all/almost all come with some NAND is the coming future (very soon kind)?
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointerfever View Post

You mean you want to see the platter spin inside a transparent case?
My assumption for crazy daily usage volume was too high LOL XD:D

Western Digital Raptor X:
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

Western Digital Raptor X:

I would definitely buy SSD if I would spend that much money:D
post #10 of 11
Thread Starter 
I did calculate the price of nand per GB of current Seagate desktop SSHD, it is so expensive. Normally for SSD the price/GB is around 10 times of HDD. The NAND price/GB in seagate destop SSHD is 600% of SSD.
Edited by pointerfever - 9/30/13 at 7:43pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hard Drives & Storage
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › When will single-platter WD black be launched?