Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Between I7 4960X and E5-2690
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Between I7 4960X and E5-2690

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
This new CPU is for work, for VMware Lab. I planning to built with I7 4960X, but then I got and ofter that i cannot refuse. Friend of mine sell its PC ( dual E5 2690 ) + mobo with cost less that $2000 drool.gif

It is not just for work, it s for gaming too. So my question is, is it good to use Dual E5 2690 for gaming? ( yes, i know it is idiotic question ).

Planning to use with R9 290X

Thanks
post #2 of 9
No it's not really,

Most games barely use 4 cores let alone a dual CPU setup.

Even then running a 6 core CPU is a complete waste of money even for a virtual setup. I have 2600k at home running V-Sphere 5.1 with 12 VM's on there which it handles without fault.

I use it for testing at work, studying and running scenarios from work. I mean don't get me wrong if you're gonna run a server in the office the more cores the better but you'll never utilize them at home on that setup.

Comps
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuman145 View Post

No it's not really,

Most games barely use 4 cores let alone a dual CPU setup.

Even then running a 6 core CPU is a complete waste of money even for a virtual setup. I have 2600k at home running V-Sphere 5.1 with 12 VM's on there which it handles without fault.

I use it for testing at work, studying and running scenarios from work. I mean don't get me wrong if you're gonna run a server in the office the more cores the better but you'll never utilize them at home on that setup.

Comps

So, its wasted (lot) of money if i buy second-handed dual E52690.

Can you tell me what a system is suuitable for virtualized and gaming? and i saying gaming is, maximum setting per game

thanks
post #4 of 9
To be honest, you'll have gaming as your main reason and then virtualisation as a secondary.

I'd stick with the 4770k and a decent motherboard and then spend more on your GPU. Depending how much you're going to virtualise off you'll need to have a look at between 16GB and 32GB of memory.

Comps
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuman145 View Post

To be honest, you'll have gaming as your main reason and then virtualisation as a secondary.

I'd stick with the 4770k and a decent motherboard and then spend more on your GPU. Depending how much you're going to virtualise off you'll need to have a look at between 16GB and 32GB of memory.

Comps

LOL, yes, i am gonna use 60 % of it as gaming, 40 % of it as work computer. Thanks for the suggestion.

Oh BTW, is it possible, in the future, intel will launch 6c12t version of LGA 1150? thanks
post #6 of 9
Not as far as i'm aware, only on the 2011 chipset or the new haswell-E chipset, x99 or something in't it?
post #7 of 9
Nah, 6C 1150 is almost improbable.
The 4960X is a good all-around solution (plenty of threads to game + do other stuff simultaneously), but I agree that the "best" gaming CPU for 1-2 cards is easily the 4770K and not a s2011 beast.
And $2000 tho not a "bad" price, you can match or get closer to $1,500 for dual 8C/16T + board on eBay quite easily (and often, not once in a month single auction etc). With lower clocked 8Cs you can actually go pretty lower.

The E5-2690 will not be a dissapointment in games per se, but for its pricetag in a 2P, it is simply a waste.

If you are serious about dropping all this $, you could always go for 2x machines, one for work that can run 24/7 off a low capacity 80+ Gold PSU, low power GPU or IGP and a healthy amount of value RAM, and one more gaming oriented one, with 8-16GB of fast ram, room for overclocking and messing around etc.
FooBox
(20 items)
 
 
Camera Gear
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5-1650 V3 3.5GHz Dell C610 Quadro K4200 4GB 32GB PC-2133 DDR4 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M550 256GB Dell Windows 7 Professional Dell U2412M 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2412M Dell KB-212-B Dell 850W 80+ Gold T5810 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsGraphics
Canon EOS 6D  EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM  EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM 
GraphicsOptical DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod Manfrotto 685B NeoTec Monopod Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head 
Optical DriveCase
Manfrotto 496 Ball Head Lowepro Mini Trekker AW 
  hide details  
Reply
FooBox
(20 items)
 
 
Camera Gear
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5-1650 V3 3.5GHz Dell C610 Quadro K4200 4GB 32GB PC-2133 DDR4 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M550 256GB Dell Windows 7 Professional Dell U2412M 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2412M Dell KB-212-B Dell 850W 80+ Gold T5810 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsGraphics
Canon EOS 6D  EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM  EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM 
GraphicsOptical DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod Manfrotto 685B NeoTec Monopod Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head 
Optical DriveCase
Manfrotto 496 Ball Head Lowepro Mini Trekker AW 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfoo View Post

Nah, 6C 1150 is almost improbable.
The 4960X is a good all-around solution (plenty of threads to game + do other stuff simultaneously), but I agree that the "best" gaming CPU for 1-2 cards is easily the 4770K and not a s2011 beast.
And $2000 tho not a "bad" price, you can match or get closer to $1,500 for dual 8C/16T + board on eBay quite easily (and often, not once in a month single auction etc). With lower clocked 8Cs you can actually go pretty lower.

The E5-2690 will not be a dissapointment in games per se, but for its pricetag in a 2P, it is simply a waste.

If you are serious about dropping all this $, you could always go for 2x machines, one for work that can run 24/7 off a low capacity 80+ Gold PSU, low power GPU or IGP and a healthy amount of value RAM, and one more gaming oriented one, with 8-16GB of fast ram, room for overclocking and messing around etc.

Thanks for your information. May i know the reason why this E5 "will not be disappointment in games". I mean compare to 4770K or 4960X/4930K ? Lets say, i planning for games for ArmA 3 dedicated server while i playing too. With a lot of AI around
post #9 of 9
You will benefit most from frequency for 90% of normal usage scenarios. Only very specific scientific applications show any real increase from having more than 4 cores. The 4930K would probably be the best price/performance for now. I find it easier to buy the enthusiast line and upgrade often vs. going for the high performance line and sinking 200% more being stuck 1 generation behind.

An example of how frequency just wins:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6533/gigabyte-ga7pesh1-review-a-dual-processor-motherboard-through-a-scientists-eyes
Not Fast Enough
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz ASUS Maximus VI Hero GTX 980Ti 2 x 8GB 2400MHz Hynix MFR Corsair Vengeanace  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD QNAP TS-670 HGST 5K4000 PLDS 16X DVD±RW 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Two AP-13, two AP-14, one AP-15 Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer Predator XB271HU 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 TKL SS-860XP2 NZXT H630 Logitech G303 
  hide details  
Reply
Not Fast Enough
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz ASUS Maximus VI Hero GTX 980Ti 2 x 8GB 2400MHz Hynix MFR Corsair Vengeanace  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD QNAP TS-670 HGST 5K4000 PLDS 16X DVD±RW 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Two AP-13, two AP-14, one AP-15 Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer Predator XB271HU 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 TKL SS-860XP2 NZXT H630 Logitech G303 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Between I7 4960X and E5-2690