There's so much ignorance about enterprise systems, which this is. You wish it was just servers... To flex any amount of system of this scale it's not of course just plugging in a server and connecting it to the Network. Ducky Ho is right.
Even as they found out about the increased in Sales beyond what they expected...there was much to do and not that much time to do it in. Is it worth the angst of retooling an entire datacenter for a few weeks high traffic?
Don't get me wrong, if they change the paradigm and expect long term success then of course they would make a business decision to grow the infrastructure. If you try to buy right now from 7 different vendors you will get eaten alive price wise. That's the real world. Technology companies can and will burn through cash like they Stole it...game reference
- Network Core - Can it handle the traffic between all targets, also redundancy. Also a note - Spanning tree bulletproof? (you don't wanna know the horror when this fails), Vlans setup. ILO Network
- Firewalls - 1) DMZ Firewalls sizing for concurrent loads. 2) General Purpose Database Firewalls, 3) Financials 4) Login Server Firewalls
- Storage - SAN and NAS sizing
- Databases - Oracle, DB2, *SQL (RAC / clusters, with dedicated Cluster networks GigE or Infiniband),
- Servers - Linux, Windows, ESX, O/S considerations
- Middle Tier - App Servers, redundancy, NAS, local storage
- Security - IPS / IDS - not that anyone would ever try to hack R*
Checkpoint is cool but in Israel so support is time based sometimes...
- Datacenter Power and Environmentals (cooling etc), UPS
- Backup & Recovery - Production systems must be backed up somewhere (as well as dev)...otherwise an isolated failure could become catastrophic if there are no Backups.
- Help Desk
- eCommerce - Online in-game Store (firewall, database, separate Vlans etc)...my point is made...
- Carbon based systems - The most important...and sometime the most expensive...people to support these systems.
So even a 25% increase beyond expectations would drive someone to drink. Yes they always engineer in some flex but when that gets blown away when you've already taken a educated SWAG at sizing and ordered machines etc or have them installed, the Vendors start licking their chops, and give you the short-notice pricing...
Welcome to my world.