Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Neogaf] Half-life 3 trademarked in europe
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Neogaf] Half-life 3 trademarked in europe - Page 4

post #31 of 39
I completely disagree... But whatever makes you guys feel like you're right and that HL3 is going to be the biggest hit ever is fine too I guess. rolleyes.gif

Just remember that you're on a computer enthusiast website. Just because people on this forum agree with you doesn't mean that the rest of the world does...
My rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 1500k Z77 Extreme 4 Sapphire R9 280 dual-x Corsair DDR3 1600 8 GB (2x4GB) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Kingston Hyper X WD Green 2 TB samsung 830 SSD  Lite on ihas b 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
h100i Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit LG UM65-p OCZ ZT 750 
CaseAudio
Raid Max Dirk-Tooth onboard  
  hide details  
Reply
My rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 1500k Z77 Extreme 4 Sapphire R9 280 dual-x Corsair DDR3 1600 8 GB (2x4GB) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Kingston Hyper X WD Green 2 TB samsung 830 SSD  Lite on ihas b 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
h100i Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit LG UM65-p OCZ ZT 750 
CaseAudio
Raid Max Dirk-Tooth onboard  
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbob06 View Post

I completely disagree... But whatever makes you guys feel like you're right and that HL3 is going to be the biggest hit ever is fine too I guess. rolleyes.gif

Just remember that you're on a computer enthusiast website. Just because people on this forum agree with you doesn't mean that the rest of the world does...

Half Life 3 will be a failure...why? Hype.

The mere idea of HL3 has been placed up on a pedestal and no actual game will give up to it. I hate to break it to you, but Half Life 2 wasn't that great; far from bad, but not great. At least when compared to all the games that followed it because it was great for its time. If you look at it from a current perspective, it was just a linear shooter. What happens to linear shooters these days? They get ripped to pieces unless they are absolute gems like the Metro series and even that game has a lot of criticism. And if Valve decides to sand box Half Life 3 in some way? Boom! They just shot Jessie James and defiled the Half Life name. It is a no win situation.

I've always figured that this is why they have never made a third Half Life game. They know it won't be well received. It won't be a flop or an epic failure...but I doubt it will end up helping the Valve name even though I am sure it will sell at least two million copies, but helping the current bank account balance and helping the future image of the company are not always the same thing.
Edited by Vagrant Storm - 10/2/13 at 9:24am
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2600K @ 4.7GHz Asus P8P67 B3 GTX 580 EVGA Hydro Copper 2 GTX 580 EVGA  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws bunch of 'em Blu-Ray For movies Windows 8.1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
24.4" Hans G HH251 X2 Yamakasi DS270  Blah 1000watt Super Flower 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Built into Desk Microsoft SideWinder X8 Comfy one... Creative Extreme Gamer 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2600K @ 4.7GHz Asus P8P67 B3 GTX 580 EVGA Hydro Copper 2 GTX 580 EVGA  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws bunch of 'em Blu-Ray For movies Windows 8.1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
24.4" Hans G HH251 X2 Yamakasi DS270  Blah 1000watt Super Flower 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Built into Desk Microsoft SideWinder X8 Comfy one... Creative Extreme Gamer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Storm View Post

Half Life 3 will be a failure...why? Hype.

The mere idea of HL3 has been placed up on a pedestal and no actual game will give up to it. I hate to break it to you, but Half Life 2 wasn't that great; far from bad, but not great. At least when compared to all the games that followed it because it was great for its time. If you look at it from a current perspective, it was just a linear shooter. What happens to linear shooters these days? They get ripped to pieces unless they are absolute gems like the Metro series and even that game has a lot of criticism. And if Valve decides to sand box Half Life 3 in some way? Boom! They just shot Jessie James and defiled the Half Life name. It is a no win situation.

I've always figured that this is why they have never made a third Half Life game.

If you quoted me because you're arguing against me I think you misread the post and my last post lol. I am in complete agreement with you.
My rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 1500k Z77 Extreme 4 Sapphire R9 280 dual-x Corsair DDR3 1600 8 GB (2x4GB) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Kingston Hyper X WD Green 2 TB samsung 830 SSD  Lite on ihas b 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
h100i Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit LG UM65-p OCZ ZT 750 
CaseAudio
Raid Max Dirk-Tooth onboard  
  hide details  
Reply
My rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 1500k Z77 Extreme 4 Sapphire R9 280 dual-x Corsair DDR3 1600 8 GB (2x4GB) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Kingston Hyper X WD Green 2 TB samsung 830 SSD  Lite on ihas b 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
h100i Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit LG UM65-p OCZ ZT 750 
CaseAudio
Raid Max Dirk-Tooth onboard  
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbob06 View Post

If you quoted me because you're arguing against me I think you misread the post and my last post lol. I am in complete agreement with you.

Oh sorry the yous in the post are referring to every one. I meant to agree with you as well.

I still don't think they will release it. They might even make it and sit on it...but I don't think they will ever release it.
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2600K @ 4.7GHz Asus P8P67 B3 GTX 580 EVGA Hydro Copper 2 GTX 580 EVGA  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws bunch of 'em Blu-Ray For movies Windows 8.1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
24.4" Hans G HH251 X2 Yamakasi DS270  Blah 1000watt Super Flower 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Built into Desk Microsoft SideWinder X8 Comfy one... Creative Extreme Gamer 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2600K @ 4.7GHz Asus P8P67 B3 GTX 580 EVGA Hydro Copper 2 GTX 580 EVGA  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws bunch of 'em Blu-Ray For movies Windows 8.1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
24.4" Hans G HH251 X2 Yamakasi DS270  Blah 1000watt Super Flower 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Built into Desk Microsoft SideWinder X8 Comfy one... Creative Extreme Gamer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Storm View Post

Oh sorry the yous in the post are referring to every one. I meant to agree with you as well.

I still don't think they will release it. They might even make it and sit on it...but I don't think they will ever release it.

I have to say your argument is pretty solid. Gamers are extremely hard to please. They piss and moan about games not being like the last one in the series or piss and moan when a series doesn't take chances making huge changes from game to game within a series.

It's always a lose-lose with gamers. Luckily there are those out there who enjoy a game because it's fun. Not because they want to over analyze everything they can
My rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 1500k Z77 Extreme 4 Sapphire R9 280 dual-x Corsair DDR3 1600 8 GB (2x4GB) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Kingston Hyper X WD Green 2 TB samsung 830 SSD  Lite on ihas b 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
h100i Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit LG UM65-p OCZ ZT 750 
CaseAudio
Raid Max Dirk-Tooth onboard  
  hide details  
Reply
My rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 1500k Z77 Extreme 4 Sapphire R9 280 dual-x Corsair DDR3 1600 8 GB (2x4GB) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Kingston Hyper X WD Green 2 TB samsung 830 SSD  Lite on ihas b 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
h100i Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit LG UM65-p OCZ ZT 750 
CaseAudio
Raid Max Dirk-Tooth onboard  
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbob06 View Post

I have to say your argument is pretty solid. Gamers are extremely hard to please. They piss and moan about games not being like the last one in the series or piss and moan when a series doesn't take chances making huge changes from game to game within a series.

It's always a lose-lose with gamers. Luckily there are those out there who enjoy a game because it's fun. Not because they want to over analyze everything they can

There is nothing I hate more in the gaming world than hype. I wish all games would be complete surprises the day they released. Every one would enjoy them more. In fact some of the more well received games of recent days have been kind of out of no where hits.

As for my self, it is rare I even buy a game on release day...I typically just wait for the price to come down and for patches to be made...and for any hype that may have infected me to dissipate. Then I can play a game and enjoy it...or hate it...for what it is and not for what I might be expecting it to be. As much as I hate to admit it, I fall victim to the hype bus as well. Though it is hard not to when all you read about is how awesome a game is going to be for months...even years, before it is released.
Edited by Vagrant Storm - 10/2/13 at 9:52am
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2600K @ 4.7GHz Asus P8P67 B3 GTX 580 EVGA Hydro Copper 2 GTX 580 EVGA  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws bunch of 'em Blu-Ray For movies Windows 8.1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
24.4" Hans G HH251 X2 Yamakasi DS270  Blah 1000watt Super Flower 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Built into Desk Microsoft SideWinder X8 Comfy one... Creative Extreme Gamer 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2600K @ 4.7GHz Asus P8P67 B3 GTX 580 EVGA Hydro Copper 2 GTX 580 EVGA  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws bunch of 'em Blu-Ray For movies Windows 8.1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
24.4" Hans G HH251 X2 Yamakasi DS270  Blah 1000watt Super Flower 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Built into Desk Microsoft SideWinder X8 Comfy one... Creative Extreme Gamer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 39
Dealing with large amounts of hype in your game releases is fairly easy. You make 2 cores. One is a foundation, in which, you have an engine coded with all the bells and whistles you want, make them independent and come up with all these fancy game play mechanics and eye candy they can think of, and then you make another core, a fairly large team, that just groups together and writes and epic story and constantly go back over the series and start explaining this, explaining that, have a "lord of the rings" potential book, and then, once you're finished with a 20h+ single player game story, you merge the two groups and have at it.
post #38 of 39

Oh dear, reports out the trademark was a fake...

 

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/10/01/half-life-3-trademark-filed-by-valve

War Machine
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570k Asus Z77 Sabertooth MSI GTX 770 2GB OC  Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
MTD 500gb Sata II HDD Seagate Barracuda 500gb Sata II HDD Samsung (S222A) DVD +/-RW 22x Dual Layer Corsair H80i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64bit Home Premium Acer GD245HQ Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Corsair TX850W  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec 900 Razer Naga Custom Skyrim Mousemat Eltax Monitor III Speakers 
AudioOther
Sherwood AX4103 Amplifier Microsoft Xbox 360 Control Pad (Black) 
  hide details  
Reply
War Machine
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570k Asus Z77 Sabertooth MSI GTX 770 2GB OC  Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
MTD 500gb Sata II HDD Seagate Barracuda 500gb Sata II HDD Samsung (S222A) DVD +/-RW 22x Dual Layer Corsair H80i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64bit Home Premium Acer GD245HQ Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Corsair TX850W  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec 900 Razer Naga Custom Skyrim Mousemat Eltax Monitor III Speakers 
AudioOther
Sherwood AX4103 Amplifier Microsoft Xbox 360 Control Pad (Black) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 39
Every time an incorrect rumor comes out suggesting the game is in development, and then it turns out it was just a rumor, I stop caring about the release just a little bit more.
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k @ 4.7 ghz 1.34V Asus Sabertooth Z77 MSI Twin Frozr III 7950  Gskill Trident X 2400mhz 16gb 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Pro SSD Swiftech H220x Windows 7 64 Bit Qnix QX2710 Evolution II 27" 2560x1440p  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair TX 750W  Antec P280 Gigabyte M6980X 
AudioAudioAudio
Sound Blaster ZXR  Audioengine A5+ Audioengine S8 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k @ 4.7 ghz 1.34V Asus Sabertooth Z77 MSI Twin Frozr III 7950  Gskill Trident X 2400mhz 16gb 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Pro SSD Swiftech H220x Windows 7 64 Bit Qnix QX2710 Evolution II 27" 2560x1440p  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair TX 750W  Antec P280 Gigabyte M6980X 
AudioAudioAudio
Sound Blaster ZXR  Audioengine A5+ Audioengine S8 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Neogaf] Half-life 3 trademarked in europe