Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Seagate ST2000DM001, delay in playing media/mp3's in iTunes...!?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Seagate ST2000DM001, delay in playing media/mp3's in iTunes...!?

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
I bought a Seagate ST2000DM001 about 6 months ago, lately I've noticed there can be a few seconds delay before a song plays.

To be more specific the delay happens when I commence music playing after some time, and when I come back to music after it's been paused for some time. Basically I store all of my media, i.e. music, video and game etc, on the Seagate, while my OS sits on the SSD. My suspicion is that the drive is taking it's sweet time to get up to speed, as the ST2000DM001 has an aggressive power saving profile, frequently parking it's heads, and spinning down its platters.

As a test, I paused a track in iTunes, went about the house, doing my thing, and came back to unpause it. The sony played for several seconds, and then cut out for several; at this point I heard the drive click/spin up and the music sprung back into life.

Now I've tried fully reinstalling iTunes, testing with HDTune and I've run Seagate's full suite of tools, 'Seatools', everything checks out okay. Now none of my other mechanical drives do this, my Western Digital disks haven't a hint of this; should a modern drive be taking this long to spin up, should I be noticing delays and pauses in my music.
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalTimbo View Post

I bought a Seagate ST2000DM001 about 6 months ago, lately I've noticed there can be a few seconds delay before a song plays.

To be more specific the delay happens when I commence music playing after some time, and when I come back to music after it's been paused for some time. Basically I store all of my media, i.e. music, video and game etc, on the Seagate, while my OS sits on the SSD. My suspicion is that the drive is taking it's sweet time to get up to speed, as the ST2000DM001 has an aggressive power saving profile, frequently parking it's heads, and spinning down its platters.

As a test, I paused a track in iTunes, went about the house, doing my thing, and came back to unpause it. The sony played for several seconds, and then cut out for several; at this point I heard the drive click/spin up and the music sprung back into life.

Now I've tried fully reinstalling iTunes, testing with HDTune and I've run Seagate's full suite of tools, 'Seatools', everything checks out okay. Now none of my other mechanical drives do this, my Western Digital disks haven't a hint of this; should a modern drive be taking this long to spin up, should I be noticing delays and pauses in my music.

I think you figured out what's happening, there's probably a Seagate tool you can use which will prevent the drive from spinning down completely, or maybe even let you adjust the sleep frequency.
Spit in God's Eye
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5960x @ 4.26 ghz core / 3.53 ghz uncore - 1.... AsRock X99 Extreme3 EVGA GTX980 Ti 16gb (4x4gb) Crucial DDR4 2133 CL15  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
A-Data SP600 256gb SSD (C:) Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD (D:) Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive (E:) LITE-ON 24x DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H110 Win 10 x64 HP 2511x ( 25" 1080p ) AZIO L70 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 Antec 300 (Modded) Logitech M100 Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
Spit in God's Eye
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5960x @ 4.26 ghz core / 3.53 ghz uncore - 1.... AsRock X99 Extreme3 EVGA GTX980 Ti 16gb (4x4gb) Crucial DDR4 2133 CL15  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
A-Data SP600 256gb SSD (C:) Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD (D:) Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive (E:) LITE-ON 24x DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H110 Win 10 x64 HP 2511x ( 25" 1080p ) AZIO L70 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 Antec 300 (Modded) Logitech M100 Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalTimbo View Post

I bought a Seagate ST2000DM001 about 6 months ago, lately I've noticed there can be a few seconds delay before a song plays.

To be more specific the delay happens when I commence music playing after some time, and when I come back to music after it's been paused for some time. Basically I store all of my media, i.e. music, video and game etc, on the Seagate, while my OS sits on the SSD. My suspicion is that the drive is taking it's sweet time to get up to speed, as the ST2000DM001 has an aggressive power saving profile, frequently parking it's heads, and spinning down its platters.

As a test, I paused a track in iTunes, went about the house, doing my thing, and came back to unpause it. The sony played for several seconds, and then cut out for several; at this point I heard the drive click/spin up and the music sprung back into life.

Now I've tried fully reinstalling iTunes, testing with HDTune and I've run Seagate's full suite of tools, 'Seatools', everything checks out okay. Now none of my other mechanical drives do this, my Western Digital disks haven't a hint of this; should a modern drive be taking this long to spin up, should I be noticing delays and pauses in my music.

Mine do that frequently, too. I have my steam library on it, and my games take a second to load up and I can hear the HDD spinning up, which takes a few seconds.
post #4 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryDemon View Post

I think you figured out what's happening, there's probably a Seagate tool you can use which will prevent the drive from spinning down completely, or maybe even let you adjust the sleep frequency.

I'm afraid there are no tools Seagate make that I know of, I did try a freeware app that disables APM (Advanced Power Management), but it needs to be activated every time your boot. I actually did that chiefly to reduce wear on the drive, and to stop the damned chirping. However, it was too trying to have to launch it every time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameyscott View Post

Mine do that frequently, too. I have my steam library on it, and my games take a second to load up and I can hear the HDD spinning up, which takes a few seconds.

I'd noticed games taking a while to launch also, but it's such a hard thing to measure, because at the end of the day, how long should a game take to launch; they're all going to be different. Also some games do take awhile... With music however, it's clear cut, the file should play immediately, and without any hiccups.

Here's the S.M.A.R.T data, is there anything anyone can see bad in there;




Oh, I forgot to add, the reason why it's so annoying, is that the drive drops to low power mode after roughly 10 mins or so. This seems ridiculous, and with the OS being on the SSD, it's happening constantly!
Edited by TacticalTimbo - 10/6/13 at 9:39am
post #5 of 6
Do you have OS power settings set to never turn off drives? If no, do so. I have found it to eliminate these kinds ofissues, andffurthermore, I have ffound that my drives on average last much longer than when they're constantly spinning up and down.

For example, my system (this drive since March on clean install), one of my WD10EZEX has 152 spin-ups.
My ex's system, which rarely gets turned off, had over 800 spin-ups despite being only a month older.

Calculate that out and while her drive will hit the max spin-up count in about 3yrs total, mine will be obsolete before it happens.

Also, as I work with audio, having no issues with streaming live or later playback is important, so whether I'm just listening to FLAC via Foobar or Winamp, or mastering live recordings for an album, keeping the drives spinning is necessary.
   
Z77 Bench-a-lot
(31 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3930K @ 4.92Ghz Asus Rampage 4 Extreme EVGA GTX670 FTW 2GB  EVGA GTX780Ti Classified K|ngp|n Edition @ 1483... 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
EVGA GTX780Ti Classified K|ngp|n Edition @ 1483... 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws-Z @ DDR3-2248 9-10-9-26 1T Samsung 830 256GB SSD WD10EZEX 1TB HDD 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD10EALX 1TB HDD Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB WD3200AAKS 320GB HDD WD5000HHTZ 10krpm 500GB VelociRaptor 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
LG/Hitachi Slim DVD-R/W Custom MB-Backside VRM-sinks (Copper) 3x NZXT RF-FX140LB 1-2krpm 98.3CFM Case Fans 2x Corsair SP120-PE Case Fans 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Heatkiller GTX680 "Hole Edition" Block + Backplate XSPC Single-Bay Res (Single 5.25 bay) EK Multioption Res X2 - Advanced 150 DD "Fill-Port Res" + Fill-Port Fitting (Red) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2x MCP35X + Heatsinks/80x15mm Fan XSPC EX420 Alphacool NeXXos UT60 240 6x Bgears Blasters 140mm 1800rpm Fans 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
4x Koolance 120x25mm 2600rpm Fans Comp/Rotary Fittings (BP/XSPC/Monsoon) Primoflex Pro LRT - White (1/2x3/4) Windows 7 Professional 64bit  
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
Dell P2210Hb 21.5" 1920x1080p Viewsonic VA2012WB 20.1" LCD 1680x1050 Dell U3014 Eizo 27" 1440p 10bit RGB-LED Backlit AH-IPS Panel 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
55" LG HDTV (their top 2014 model) Ducky Mechanical (Browns) NZXT HALE90 850W + 8 blown-up AX1200/i's NZXT Switch 810 (White) 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
R.A.T.3 + MX510 My Desk GRADO RS1i Headphones Grado PS1000 Headphones 
OtherOtherOtherOther
Bitfenix Hydra Pro Fan Controller 5ch 30W/ch Bitfenix Alchemy Individually-Sleeved Extension... NZXT Individually-Sleeved Front Panel Wires (Bl... Phobya Sleeved 1x3pin-to-4x3pin Fan Splitter 
OtherOtherOther
Sleeved Wires w Paracord myself (no Heatshrink) Custom Front and Top Panels w HexxMesh *In Prog... Working on Custom Pedestal Prototype 
  hide details  
Reply
   
Z77 Bench-a-lot
(31 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3930K @ 4.92Ghz Asus Rampage 4 Extreme EVGA GTX670 FTW 2GB  EVGA GTX780Ti Classified K|ngp|n Edition @ 1483... 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
EVGA GTX780Ti Classified K|ngp|n Edition @ 1483... 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws-Z @ DDR3-2248 9-10-9-26 1T Samsung 830 256GB SSD WD10EZEX 1TB HDD 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD10EALX 1TB HDD Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB WD3200AAKS 320GB HDD WD5000HHTZ 10krpm 500GB VelociRaptor 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
LG/Hitachi Slim DVD-R/W Custom MB-Backside VRM-sinks (Copper) 3x NZXT RF-FX140LB 1-2krpm 98.3CFM Case Fans 2x Corsair SP120-PE Case Fans 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Heatkiller GTX680 "Hole Edition" Block + Backplate XSPC Single-Bay Res (Single 5.25 bay) EK Multioption Res X2 - Advanced 150 DD "Fill-Port Res" + Fill-Port Fitting (Red) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2x MCP35X + Heatsinks/80x15mm Fan XSPC EX420 Alphacool NeXXos UT60 240 6x Bgears Blasters 140mm 1800rpm Fans 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
4x Koolance 120x25mm 2600rpm Fans Comp/Rotary Fittings (BP/XSPC/Monsoon) Primoflex Pro LRT - White (1/2x3/4) Windows 7 Professional 64bit  
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
Dell P2210Hb 21.5" 1920x1080p Viewsonic VA2012WB 20.1" LCD 1680x1050 Dell U3014 Eizo 27" 1440p 10bit RGB-LED Backlit AH-IPS Panel 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
55" LG HDTV (their top 2014 model) Ducky Mechanical (Browns) NZXT HALE90 850W + 8 blown-up AX1200/i's NZXT Switch 810 (White) 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
R.A.T.3 + MX510 My Desk GRADO RS1i Headphones Grado PS1000 Headphones 
OtherOtherOtherOther
Bitfenix Hydra Pro Fan Controller 5ch 30W/ch Bitfenix Alchemy Individually-Sleeved Extension... NZXT Individually-Sleeved Front Panel Wires (Bl... Phobya Sleeved 1x3pin-to-4x3pin Fan Splitter 
OtherOtherOther
Sleeved Wires w Paracord myself (no Heatshrink) Custom Front and Top Panels w HexxMesh *In Prog... Working on Custom Pedestal Prototype 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nleksan View Post

Do you have OS power settings set to never turn off drives? If no, do so. I have found it to eliminate these kinds ofissues, andffurthermore, I have ffound that my drives on average last much longer than when they're constantly spinning up and down.

For example, my system (this drive since March on clean install), one of my WD10EZEX has 152 spin-ups.
My ex's system, which rarely gets turned off, had over 800 spin-ups despite being only a month older.

Calculate that out and while her drive will hit the max spin-up count in about 3yrs total, mine will be obsolete before it happens.

Also, as I work with audio, having no issues with streaming live or later playback is important, so whether I'm just listening to FLAC via Foobar or Winamp, or mastering live recordings for an album, keeping the drives spinning is necessary.

Thanks nleksan, a few weeks with the drive set to 'Never' turn off, and I haven't seen the issue once! thumb.gif

I wonder why the Seagate is a fail with this setting, where my 4 year old Western Digital's didn't have an issue!? Probably has something to do with all this green hippy garbage!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hard Drives & Storage
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Seagate ST2000DM001, delay in playing media/mp3's in iTunes...!?