Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › [MOD] LGA775 Support For LGA771 Xeon CPUs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[MOD] LGA775 Support For LGA771 Xeon CPUs - Page 1009

post #10081 of 12504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophicleide View Post

It's all mostly been driver issues as well as many errors and just an overall stubborn OS.

1. Sound drivers absolutely fail after prolonged use of sound from any application on the computer. I can't even use any headsets and headphones only work for about 30 or so minutes before I have to completely restart the computer because nothing else fixes the sound. I've uninstalled and installed so many different drivers for so many different devices and nothing seems to work. I've given up on having reliable sound.

2. Browsers always fail after about 10 minutes of use also. They sometimes lock up and just close on their own. Doing anything that requires the browser to be open for extended periods of time is just impossible. This goes with every browser I've tried. (Chrome, Edge, Firefox)

3. Most games don't run longer than an hour without crashing. Whether the game is really intensive (APB Reloaded, Planetside 2, Fallout 4) or easier to handle (League of Legends, Mirrors edge, Team Fortress 2) They all crash within an hour regardless of what I'm doing.

4. Countless blue screens, all of different errors. Now I know some of the errors could be due to the overclocking and the incorrect balance of voltage to clock speed. I handled those and fixed them once I got the CPU at a stable setting. There are errors like Memory Management, System service exception, NTSF File System and a few others I can't remember. I've fixed most but some do still occur.

I did say that performance in games is very favorable but sometimes in certain games, the performance drops at a slow but steady decline until I reopen the game and it's back to normal. Some applications on the PC are just unresponsive sometimes. It's like a hit or miss if something is going to work or not.

I've ran extensive Memtests and never found an issue with the RAM.
I'm not able to completely update the system due to a windows update error 0x80070570 and I've tried many fixes but nothing has worked yet. Just adds to more quirks of this computer. The heat on this PC is very manageable I feel with the highest temps I'm reaching under max CPU load is about 68 degrees.


I'm using a GA-P35-DS3R rev 2.1
Xeon x5460
an old Hitachi HDD
Windows 10 64-bit
8 gigs of generic DDR2 800mhz
Corsair CX 500 PSU

The x5460 is clocked at 3.8 right now. I took it down from 4.0 a few days ago to see if that would help at all but it hasn't. The CPU voltage is set at 1.36 and it runs without having crashes due to under or overvoltage anymore.

I switch between a Zotac 650 Ti Synergy and a gigabyte windforce 660 to see if power is an issue. the 650 Ti only takes one 6 pin connector and the 660 takes 2. Neither has made much of a difference. I had a cheaper PSU powering all of this that was also 500w and figured that the CX500 would probably handle it a little better since I've been under an assumption of power errors causing some of the crashing. I just got it today but again it didn't fix very much.

If any of these can be resolved I would be so much happier with this build but so far it's just made me want to go back to my old desktop. I'm willing to do a clean reset of this PC if it means restoring some functionality!
The 660 windforce pulls some power! 300watts compared to 110 from the other. My 950 only pulls 125 and I had issues with a generic 500 watt when I was O.C.ing the 5470.That's why I got the 520 watt with seperate rails.
post #10082 of 12504
Quote:
Originally Posted by schuck6566 View Post

The 660 windforce pulls some power! 300watts compared to 110 from the other. My 950 only pulls 125 and I had issues with a generic 500 watt when I was O.C.ing the 5470.That's why I got the 520 watt with seperate rails.

put a overclocked 480 on it and watch that psu go up in flames
fx8350
(6 items)
 
x58 fun
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
fx8350 @ 4.7 1.38 asus m5a97 r2.0 le modded with vrm heatsinks GTX 480 X2 @ 900/2000 depends on my mood ;) 
Hard DriveCooling
some off brand ssd  custom loop 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
w3520@ 4.5 p6t deluxe v2 6970 x2 @ 950 depends on my mood ;) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCooling
ssd who uses these? custom loop 
  hide details  
Reply
fx8350
(6 items)
 
x58 fun
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
fx8350 @ 4.7 1.38 asus m5a97 r2.0 le modded with vrm heatsinks GTX 480 X2 @ 900/2000 depends on my mood ;) 
Hard DriveCooling
some off brand ssd  custom loop 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
w3520@ 4.5 p6t deluxe v2 6970 x2 @ 950 depends on my mood ;) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCooling
ssd who uses these? custom loop 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10083 of 12504
Hi all. So glad I found dead this thread. I was going to throw away my old motherboard and ram to upgrade my HTPC, but this mod Los like it will save me a lot.

I have a quick question before I make the plunge. Would it be better to go for an E5450 C0 or E5440 E0? I really want to overclock, but I know that I'm going to be limited with a corsair air 240 case and smaller heatsink so I'm thinking I'll be temp limited In my efforts.
post #10084 of 12504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkstone View Post

Hi all. So glad I found dead this thread. I was going to throw away my old motherboard and ram to upgrade my HTPC, but this mod Los like it will save me a lot.

I have a quick question before I make the plunge. Would it be better to go for an E5450 C0 or E5440 E0? I really want to overclock, but I know that I'm going to be limited with a corsair air 240 case and smaller heatsink so I'm thinking I'll be temp limited In my efforts.
I don't know what all gear U have,but took a look @ the 240 case. It looks like it's REALLY friendly to the AIO water cooling set ups. I have a 120mm aio on my e5450.Single fan & radiator attach to case,2 hoses run to cooling block that mounts on cpu like conventional cooler. even with air, U should be fine with the e5450 (either co or eo) in that case because it's a lower wattage cpu to start.(80watt) Most of the older quads were either 95,or 120 watt @ least. leave your Motherboard specs,ect., and I and others will be glad to offer advice.(Some here may even offer to add the xeon codes to the bios for ya.) wink.gif
post #10085 of 12504
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanzylol View Post

put a overclocked 480 on it and watch that psu go up in flames
Ummm, amd's RX480? or a GTX480? Either way, the same psu is running my GTX970 quite well,so it shows how the newer nvidia's are using less power to do more.And the new GTX1060 actually uses less then my 970 and out performs by about 10-20% depending on the rig and game. My GTX970 compared to a GTX480--->http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=2488&gid2=376&compare=geforce-gtx-970-msi-gaming-4gb-edition-vs-geforce-gtx-480
post #10086 of 12504
Quote:
Originally Posted by schuck6566 View Post

Ummm, amd's RX480? or a GTX480? Either way, the same psu is running my GTX970 quite well,so it shows how the newer nvidia's are using less power to do more.And the new GTX1060 actually uses less then my 970 and out performs by about 10-20% depending on the rig and game. My GTX970 compared to a GTX480--->http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=2488&gid2=376&compare=geforce-gtx-970-msi-gaming-4gb-edition-vs-geforce-gtx-480

gtx 480 lmao
fx8350
(6 items)
 
x58 fun
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
fx8350 @ 4.7 1.38 asus m5a97 r2.0 le modded with vrm heatsinks GTX 480 X2 @ 900/2000 depends on my mood ;) 
Hard DriveCooling
some off brand ssd  custom loop 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
w3520@ 4.5 p6t deluxe v2 6970 x2 @ 950 depends on my mood ;) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCooling
ssd who uses these? custom loop 
  hide details  
Reply
fx8350
(6 items)
 
x58 fun
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
fx8350 @ 4.7 1.38 asus m5a97 r2.0 le modded with vrm heatsinks GTX 480 X2 @ 900/2000 depends on my mood ;) 
Hard DriveCooling
some off brand ssd  custom loop 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
w3520@ 4.5 p6t deluxe v2 6970 x2 @ 950 depends on my mood ;) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCooling
ssd who uses these? custom loop 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10087 of 12504
Well a short omg for me. I just got back to the pc, still didnt overclock, and the pc was frozen...damn.. Then i had multiple issues getting it to boot back up again, no beep during boots etc....system was totally unstable frown.gif

I dunno what the hell happend, but i bumped the voltage to the cpu at 1.3 something...now i forgot, next voltage is 1.5 so there are no 1.4s or something like that. Whats funny is that in any of the programs i have cpu vCore reporting a 1.112v, strange ? and i also disabled c1e for now. What on earth is going on? Im afraid mby some of the pins got screwed, plz let it not be that.

Im writing from this very pc atm since i finally got it to not freeze, either during boot or during the 1st min inside windows... so sad...although it can freeze at any moment mby..

Dunno if its an accident, but i've put my case horizontal while it was working and just got to move it vertical, as it should stand and when i got back to the keyboard, windows was frozen..oh god...

Like im even passing a IBT atm with HIGH stress on RAM and its not freezing while horizontal atm, im just afraid of puting my case vertical now...i bet i didnt cut plastic right and somehow the cpu looses contact or something ???
Edited by stilskinz - 7/26/16 at 4:02pm
post #10088 of 12504
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyG01 View Post

Yep, that's a lot of issues alright frown.gif

You said you made this PC using used parts, were these parts yours, do you know for a fact that they work on other PCs?
Do you have another CPU to test or did this rig worked with another CPU just fine before and then things got screwed after the Xeon install?
Did you yourself patch the microcodes in the BIOS or used some file you found somewere? Is the X5460 recognized as exactly that in the BIOS? Is that little sicker on the bottom of the CPU installed correctly and not messing up any close by 'pins'?
If you run your CPU 100% stock (all settings on 'Auto' and such) does the PC still behave the same? With all settings on 'Auto', does your CPU boot at 9,5x333 and 3.16GHz (use CPU-Z)?
What is your sound device, onboard or a extra card? If stand alone card, does it work fine on another PC with the same OS/drivers version?
What OS do you use? Is this a clean install? Did you try re-installing from scratch (format the drive!)? Have you tried another version of windows (i have ZERO experience with win10 personally)?
How "old" exactly is your Hitachi HDD? Are all the SMART values good? Any bad sectors?
Did you try removing and re-installing the various parts (memory, VGA and other cards etc)?

With so many issues, if these are ALL parts new to you (bought used and tested first time in this rig), then if re-installing Win/running CPU stock does not do it, then you need another similar generation PC to try the hardware pieces one by one and see if someone is causing all that mayhem...
Speaking of, from what i see yout Motherboard has only Solid Electrolytes caps on it, right?

Edit: What Frequency/Latencies/Voltage does your memory run on (even with CPU stock setup)? Are those values higher (lower in case of latencies) than the default (XMP/JEDEC/whatever) values of those sticks?
Although Memtest is pretty good finding memory errors, high mem overclock may cause issues...

Yes every part from this PC is used. The only thing that isn't used is the CPU cooler. But I've tested every piece in this system and I do have a cheap 775 CPU that I found on ebay (E8400). I used it to install windows and these issues were present but I didn't think much of them as I figured it was just because not all drivers were up to date yet.

The X5460 is recognized in the BIOS and I went over the sticker on the back of the CPU with a magnifying glass and it's damn near perfectly on those two pins. I used the tools from delidded to install the microcodes.
I'm about to put the CPU stock after I'm finished typing this and see how it performs after awhile. Performance is going to drop but I'll at least get to see if it doesn't crash as much or at all.*

The sound device on this PC is all integrated.

This Hitachi hard drive is about 9 years old and I did a clean install of windows 8.1 and upgraded to Windows 10. I've been thinking about resetting the OS and just keeping it at 8.1 to see if that would help with anything.
I've just done some tests and I found some damaged areas on the hard drive. Also when doing a disk checkup the test would not complete due to read errors. And I just found 2 unstable sectors. Do you think this could be a reason why most of my drivers are broken?

As for the RAM, the default multiplier was 2.4 putting the clock on the sticks to 934 I think is what it was. And I've ran tests with just one stick in at a time. I've reinstalled graphics drivers as well multiple times.

*I made the multiplier 2.0 and had the clocks normal at 800Mhz so I'm going to leave the CPU at 3.8 for awhile and see if that helped.
post #10089 of 12504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophicleide View Post

Yes every part from this PC is used. The only thing that isn't used is the CPU cooler. But I've tested every piece in this system and I do have a cheap 775 CPU that I found on ebay (E8400). I used it to install windows and these issues were present but I didn't think much of them as I figured it was just because not all drivers were up to date yet.

The X5460 is recognized in the BIOS and I went over the sticker on the back of the CPU with a magnifying glass and it's damn near perfectly on those two pins. I used the tools from delidded to install the microcodes.
I'm about to put the CPU stock after I'm finished typing this and see how it performs after awhile. Performance is going to drop but I'll at least get to see if it doesn't crash as much or at all.*

The sound device on this PC is all integrated.

This Hitachi hard drive is about 9 years old and I did a clean install of windows 8.1 and upgraded to Windows 10. I've been thinking about resetting the OS and just keeping it at 8.1 to see if that would help with anything.
I've just done some tests and I found some damaged areas on the hard drive. Also when doing a disk checkup the test would not complete due to read errors. And I just found 2 unstable sectors. Do you think this could be a reason why most of my drivers are broken?

As for the RAM, the default multiplier was 2.4 putting the clock on the sticks to 934 I think is what it was. And I've ran tests with just one stick in at a time. I've reinstalled graphics drivers as well multiple times.

*I made the multiplier 2.0 and had the clocks normal at 800Mhz so I'm going to leave the CPU at 3.8 for awhile and see if that helped.
When I was running my 800meg ram I had to use the 2.0 multi. Auto(2.4) was too high for the ram. You may need to download the audio drivers for the board from gigabyte if possible(must likely windows vista or 7) and install them on yours in Compat Mode on Windows 10. I would definately swap HDD's if it's showing that many issues.I have a video card installed and use hdmi for my audio so can't really say too much.(nvidia).... Ok, just looked,nvidia HDMI,and seperate high def audio device and spdif the latter have drivers from microsoft dated 2015 installed by windows. I don't USE them so don't know if they'd crash like yours or not.(few times I have,sounds been good with head phones or dvi/audio jack hook up.)
post #10090 of 12504
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilskinz View Post

Well a short omg for me. I just got back to the pc, still didnt overclock, and the pc was frozen...damn.. Then i had multiple issues getting it to boot back up again, no beep during boots etc....system was totally unstable frown.gif

I dunno what the hell happend, but i bumped the voltage to the cpu at 1.3 something...now i forgot, next voltage is 1.5 so there are no 1.4s or something like that. Whats funny is that in any of the programs i have cpu vCore reporting a 1.112v, strange ? and i also disabled c1e for now. What on earth is going on? Im afraid mby some of the pins got screwed, plz let it not be that.

Im writing from this very pc atm since i finally got it to not freeze, either during boot or during the 1st min inside windows... so sad...although it can freeze at any moment mby..

Dunno if its an accident, but i've put my case horizontal while it was working and just got to move it vertical, as it should stand and when i got back to the keyboard, windows was frozen..oh god...

Like im even passing a IBT atm with HIGH stress on RAM and its not freezing while horizontal atm, im just afraid of puting my case vertical now...i bet i didnt cut plastic right and somehow the cpu looses contact or something ???
Ck all your connections inside,make sure all the screws are snug in the standoffs ect., make sure no sata cable is loose or "flakey/iffy" also,make sure no fans are acting different in 1 position from the other.(Had a dell sff with a cpu cooling fan that was on it's way out,would run fine upright,but lay it down & blades just sat & looked @ ya) also ck your psu plugs & fans and connectors. LOL, had a "short" 1 time that was me not pushing the cord all the way into the psu,It would get hit or bumped and be just enough for a power outage effect. you can also ck for too much/not enough paste on the cpu or see if some slopped over when the cooler installed. If you have voltage control on your ram, try bumping it up a hair. (If ram is 1.8 volt sticks,try setting 1.9 in bios ) also,when running,go to device manager and make sure processor is showing xeon with drivers for it,& look for any yello exclamation marks/triangles that need drivers updated ect. Also,if it's in ahci mode,you MAY need to switch to sata legacy/ide. Ck your task manager for "system interupts" also.If using more then 20% of cpu usage,ther's an issue.(most likely hardware)
Edited by schuck6566 - 7/26/16 at 9:12pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › [MOD] LGA775 Support For LGA771 Xeon CPUs