Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD R9 280X / 280 & 270X / 270 Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] AMD R9 280X / 280 & 270X / 270 Owners Club - Page 552

post #5511 of 9745
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by boot318 View Post



Is this good for an R9 280x? 1150 core & 1700 memory.....

Not bad at all, I am still waiting for a 280x to hit 50 fps average. Has anyone seen that yet?
750-Devil
(20 items)
 
"Hello Kitty"
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I5 6700k Skylake Gigabyte G1 Gaming 7 MSI Gaming R9 390 8 Gb G-Skill RipJawsV DDR4 2800 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
WD Blue 1TB 64 Mb cache Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb Adata M.2 Sata 256 Gb Boot drive Corsair SP 120 Quiet x3 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Corsiar AF 140 quiet x1 Corsair SP 120 Performance PWM x 3 Full CPU Loop, XSPC Raystorm - XSPC Photon 270 ... Windows 10 Enterprise 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
My 47 in. LG led 3d tv Couger Attack 3 Gaming Keyboard W/Cherry MX Blu... Seasonic SS-660XP 660W 80 PLUS Platinum ATX12V/... Corsair Obsidion 750D full tower case. 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Corsair M65 Pro RGB Corsair MP200 LG sound bar w/ bluetooth wireless sub woofer. Self sleeved cables w/paracord. 
  hide details  
Reply
750-Devil
(20 items)
 
"Hello Kitty"
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I5 6700k Skylake Gigabyte G1 Gaming 7 MSI Gaming R9 390 8 Gb G-Skill RipJawsV DDR4 2800 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
WD Blue 1TB 64 Mb cache Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb Adata M.2 Sata 256 Gb Boot drive Corsair SP 120 Quiet x3 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Corsiar AF 140 quiet x1 Corsair SP 120 Performance PWM x 3 Full CPU Loop, XSPC Raystorm - XSPC Photon 270 ... Windows 10 Enterprise 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
My 47 in. LG led 3d tv Couger Attack 3 Gaming Keyboard W/Cherry MX Blu... Seasonic SS-660XP 660W 80 PLUS Platinum ATX12V/... Corsair Obsidion 750D full tower case. 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Corsair M65 Pro RGB Corsair MP200 LG sound bar w/ bluetooth wireless sub woofer. Self sleeved cables w/paracord. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5512 of 9745
Quote:
Originally Posted by boot318 View Post



Is this good for an R9 280x? 1150 core & 1700 memory.....

Seems about right...



I get FPS: 48.1/Score: 2014/Min FPS 23.7/Max FPS: 93.7.

1205 core/1600 mem/1175 volts. Gigabyte R9 280x Rev 2.

What brand of 280x is yours and what voltage?
post #5513 of 9745
Quote:
Originally Posted by End3R View Post

Yea from what I hear Sapphire and MSI released their own drivers that fixed it, I checked PowerColor's site and downloaded their drivers but it did nothing. Assuming my clock change fixed the issue for me, is the memory clock jumping like I described something to worry about? I haven't noticed any decrease in performance when playing my games. And *knocks on wood* worst case scenario if I see it pop up again, would it be the end of the world if I tried to install Sapphire or MSI drivers? From what I can tell AMD drivers seem to be fairly universal between their cards, way more than NVidia.

Here is what I was talking about, the left side of the graph is when I was streaming netflix, is that rapid jumping on my clockspeed something to worry about? The right-hand side of the graph is when I launched Far Cry 3 so no issues there. Thankfully I've still had no ugly flicker issues since changing my minimum clock speeds.

DbtVpZh.png
Elite Four x 2
(8 items)
 
My Laptop
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2630QM Mobile Processor @ 2.9GHz Intel HM65 Chipset Mainboard GeForce GT 540M 2GB PCIe 8GB DDR3 Corsair 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB 7200RPM 8X DVD+/-R/RW/4X +DL Windows 7 64bit 15.6" 
  hide details  
Reply
Elite Four x 2
(8 items)
 
My Laptop
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2630QM Mobile Processor @ 2.9GHz Intel HM65 Chipset Mainboard GeForce GT 540M 2GB PCIe 8GB DDR3 Corsair 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB 7200RPM 8X DVD+/-R/RW/4X +DL Windows 7 64bit 15.6" 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5514 of 9745
Does anyone here know where I could get Fujipoly pads in Europe? Shipping from the states costs twice as much as the pads themselves.
As for the flickering issue, that explains what I saw the other day, though that was with overclocking applied. At stock settings it's fine.
Joonas
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 @ 4.9GHz M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Powercolor R9 280X TurboDuo ADATA XPG 8GB PC3-12800 CL9 V1.0  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Seagate ST2000DM001-1ER164 ADATA SP920 256GB Enermax LiqMax 240 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Philips 246V5 Philips 196VL CM Storm Trigger-Z MX Brown Seasonic M12II-750 EVO 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master CM 690 II Genius GILA Aerocool Strike X Super Pad Pioneer SE-M521 
Other
TP-Link TL-WN881ND 
  hide details  
Reply
Joonas
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 @ 4.9GHz M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Powercolor R9 280X TurboDuo ADATA XPG 8GB PC3-12800 CL9 V1.0  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Seagate ST2000DM001-1ER164 ADATA SP920 256GB Enermax LiqMax 240 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Philips 246V5 Philips 196VL CM Storm Trigger-Z MX Brown Seasonic M12II-750 EVO 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master CM 690 II Genius GILA Aerocool Strike X Super Pad Pioneer SE-M521 
Other
TP-Link TL-WN881ND 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5515 of 9745
I think we should clarify. When you say they released their own drivers, do you mean a VBIOS? If so, there should be no problem flashing a new, updated VBIOS as long as it matches your card model. Theoretically, you should be able to use ANY manufacturer's VBIOS for any card as long as it matches your card's model (270X bios for a 270X, I don't think ATIWinflash will even let you flash a different cards bios to your card). However, in practice this doesn't always work. One of my 290s won't work with any bios other than the one it came with, I tried a newer Sapphire Tri-X bios and a few others and it would only display video in a low resolution, even after installing the Catalyst drivers. My other 290, however, seems to work fine with any 290 bios I've tried on it. I haven't tried flashing my 270X because I've had no reason to.

I guess I'm not sure what the problem is? My 290s, my 7970, my 270X all jump around in clock speed when watching video or playing certain old games (very old, DX8). If it's flickering, it could be a codec issue or it could be a problem with your overclock. In general, it's not good to watch videos while overclocked, sometimes you WILL see flickering. Set your card to base clocks and voltage and try.

I'm just gonna throw this out there, but try installing this: http://www.divx.com/en/software/divx I had an issue with my 290 when I first got it where my entire system would freeze every time I tried to watch MPEG videos. I would have to power my machine off via the power button and turn it back on. This happened with all video and I thought my card was defective until my girlfriend found that installing DivX fixed it. You might also want to try getting the combined community codec pack and installing that.
post #5516 of 9745
Sorry for double post guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog83 View Post

Not bad at all, I am still waiting for a 280x to hit 50 fps average. Has anyone seen that yet?

@ Devildog

I had to dig to find this.



That's my 7970 @ 1200/1600mhz with my FX at 4.7.

7970/280X should be able to easily break 50 fps if you know what you're doing. You should also get 10k+ in 3dmark11 regardless of processor.

I'm not gonna do it because I'm lazy but I bet if I took my 7970 out of my girlfriend's machine and put it in here, now that I have Intel I might be able to break 60 fps.
Edited by neurotix - 4/20/14 at 12:32am
post #5517 of 9745
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurotix View Post

I think we should clarify. When you say they released their own drivers, do you mean a VBIOS? If so, there should be no problem flashing a new, updated VBIOS as long as it matches your card model. Theoretically, you should be able to use ANY manufacturer's VBIOS for any card as long as it matches your card's model (270X bios for a 270X, I don't think ATIWinflash will even let you flash a different cards bios to your card). However, in practice this doesn't always work. One of my 290s won't work with any bios other than the one it came with, I tried a newer Sapphire Tri-X bios and a few others and it would only display video in a low resolution, even after installing the Catalyst drivers. My other 290, however, seems to work fine with any 290 bios I've tried on it. I haven't tried flashing my 270X because I've had no reason to.

I guess I'm not sure what the problem is? My 290s, my 7970, my 270X all jump around in clock speed when watching video or playing certain old games (very old, DX8). If it's flickering, it could be a codec issue or it could be a problem with your overclock. In general, it's not good to watch videos while overclocked, sometimes you WILL see flickering. Set your card to base clocks and voltage and try.

I'm just gonna throw this out there, but try installing this: http://www.divx.com/en/software/divx I had an issue with my 290 when I first got it where my entire system would freeze every time I tried to watch MPEG videos. I would have to power my machine off via the power button and turn it back on. This happened with all video and I thought my card was defective until my girlfriend found that installing DivX fixed it. You might also want to try getting the combined community codec pack and installing that.

Sorry for the confusion, when I said this is what I was talking about, I was talking specifically about seeing the clocks jump around when playing videos, it was something I never noticed before and was wondering if it was something I should worry about.

Hopefully I resolved the flickering issue by changing the minimum clock speeds, I haven't experienced it since so everything seems ok so far. If however I come back in a few days because my screen started to have a seizure again (the flickering can be intense), then I will probably be asking for help on how to update the bios of my card with the msi/sapphire fix. But hopefully I won't need to do that.
Elite Four x 2
(8 items)
 
My Laptop
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2630QM Mobile Processor @ 2.9GHz Intel HM65 Chipset Mainboard GeForce GT 540M 2GB PCIe 8GB DDR3 Corsair 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB 7200RPM 8X DVD+/-R/RW/4X +DL Windows 7 64bit 15.6" 
  hide details  
Reply
Elite Four x 2
(8 items)
 
My Laptop
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2630QM Mobile Processor @ 2.9GHz Intel HM65 Chipset Mainboard GeForce GT 540M 2GB PCIe 8GB DDR3 Corsair 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB 7200RPM 8X DVD+/-R/RW/4X +DL Windows 7 64bit 15.6" 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5518 of 9745
Quote:
Originally Posted by End3R View Post

Sorry for the confusion, when I said this is what I was talking about, I was talking specifically about seeing the clocks jump around when playing videos, it was something I never noticed before and was wondering if it was something I should worry about.

Hopefully I resolved the flickering issue by changing the minimum clock speeds, I haven't experienced it since so everything seems ok so far. If however I come back in a few days because my screen started to have a seizure again (the flickering can be intense), then I will probably be asking for help on how to update the bios of my card with the msi/sapphire fix. But hopefully I won't need to do that.

It's really easy to update your VBIOS. Let us know if you have issues again and someone can help you do it. Nowadays, you don't even need to use DOS to do it, you can do it from within Windows using ATIWinflash. Some people still recommend you use DOS, I'm not sure why. I've flashed my 290s as well as a 7970 using ATIWinflash and never had any problems.

Yeah, the clocks jumping around happens. I just played a few MPEG videos. According to my AIDA64 sidebar gadget, my clocks jump between 825 (minimum), 1100 and 1328 mhz (I'm sure the 1328 is probably wrong). The memory clock seems to stay the same, at 1500mhz. All of my AMD cards have always done this when playing video. My 6870 did it, my 270X, my 7970s did, and my 290 does. It's totally normal.
post #5519 of 9745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobe404 View Post

Seems about right...



I get FPS: 48.1/Score: 2014/Min FPS 23.7/Max FPS: 93.7.

1205 core/1600 mem/1175 volts. Gigabyte R9 280x Rev 2.

What brand of 280x is yours and what voltage?

I was almost able to get to 50fps with Extreme HD (8x AA). Which is using Rev02 BIOS to allow 1.3v @ 1180Mhz (Artifact free). The shots are from my DSLR using High ISO only because I didn't have fraps, bandicam or Dxtory open at the time.



Gaming PC
(15 items)
 
 
HTC 10
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4690K (Delidded) MSI Z97 MPOWER AC MAX EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid  CMY16GX3M2A2400C11R  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
A-DATA SP900 2x ST2000DM001-1ER164 ASMedia® ASM1061 (External) Swiftech H320 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Win 10 x64 1622.rs3 SAMSUNG LS24F350 [MAIN] LG 22MP48HQ [SECONDARY] Corsair RM850w 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Corsair Harpoon RGB Fiio E7 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
QX9300 @ 2.53Ghz *OLD* Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 Dell 076V94 (Intel Q43) Quadro FX 2700M 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
2x Samsung M471B5773CHS-CH9 Samsung 840 120GB TOSHIBA MQ01ACF032 HT-DT-ST DVD +-RW GS20N 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2x Heat-pipe-sink + fans Win 10 x64 15063 Super Lite Edition 1440x900 @ 100hz Dell + Numpad 
PowerMouse Pad
95w Dell Touchpad 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 MSM8996 [OC] Adreno 530 2x 2GB LPDDR4 32 GB eMMC Flash 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Passive Android 7.0 2.51.617.1 Super LCD 5: 2560x1440 (565 PPI) Sony Xperia Keyboard 
Power
3,000 mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming PC
(15 items)
 
 
HTC 10
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4690K (Delidded) MSI Z97 MPOWER AC MAX EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid  CMY16GX3M2A2400C11R  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
A-DATA SP900 2x ST2000DM001-1ER164 ASMedia® ASM1061 (External) Swiftech H320 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Win 10 x64 1622.rs3 SAMSUNG LS24F350 [MAIN] LG 22MP48HQ [SECONDARY] Corsair RM850w 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Corsair Harpoon RGB Fiio E7 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
QX9300 @ 2.53Ghz *OLD* Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 Dell 076V94 (Intel Q43) Quadro FX 2700M 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
2x Samsung M471B5773CHS-CH9 Samsung 840 120GB TOSHIBA MQ01ACF032 HT-DT-ST DVD +-RW GS20N 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2x Heat-pipe-sink + fans Win 10 x64 15063 Super Lite Edition 1440x900 @ 100hz Dell + Numpad 
PowerMouse Pad
95w Dell Touchpad 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 MSM8996 [OC] Adreno 530 2x 2GB LPDDR4 32 GB eMMC Flash 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Passive Android 7.0 2.51.617.1 Super LCD 5: 2560x1440 (565 PPI) Sony Xperia Keyboard 
Power
3,000 mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5520 of 9745
Well spoke too soon, had the flickering come back so I went ahead and flashed my card. Looks like it was succesful, the core clock before was 1080 not 1070, and it thinks its a sapphire card now. Hopefully this resolves the issue once and for all.

csUGxTC.png


Edit: Yeeeeea so that didn't work, seems fine until I launch a game, then it crashes the system, reverting back to my previous bios now. (Don't worry it's not bricked, it's back to saying PowerColor vendor and my games are playing again.)
Edited by End3R - 4/20/14 at 2:26am
Elite Four x 2
(8 items)
 
My Laptop
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2630QM Mobile Processor @ 2.9GHz Intel HM65 Chipset Mainboard GeForce GT 540M 2GB PCIe 8GB DDR3 Corsair 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB 7200RPM 8X DVD+/-R/RW/4X +DL Windows 7 64bit 15.6" 
  hide details  
Reply
Elite Four x 2
(8 items)
 
My Laptop
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2630QM Mobile Processor @ 2.9GHz Intel HM65 Chipset Mainboard GeForce GT 540M 2GB PCIe 8GB DDR3 Corsair 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB 7200RPM 8X DVD+/-R/RW/4X +DL Windows 7 64bit 15.6" 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD R9 280X / 280 & 270X / 270 Owners Club