Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Put windows 8 into sleep mode, and now PC doesn't work!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Put windows 8 into sleep mode, and now PC doesn't work! - Page 2

post #11 of 16
Wonder what the hell is happening to the boards in sleep mode.

Windows 8 Sleep mode: The killer of sleeping mobos.
The M Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4670k z87 mpower gtx 760 evga Patriot viper 3 8gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
320GB Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 120gb Samsung Evo SSD LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1S Intel stock cpu cooler 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
windows 8 64bit GW2765 syncmaster ex2220 HP 5187-7583 
PowerCaseMouse
evga 750b Corsair 450d Roccat Kone + 
  hide details  
Reply
The M Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4670k z87 mpower gtx 760 evga Patriot viper 3 8gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
320GB Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 120gb Samsung Evo SSD LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1S Intel stock cpu cooler 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
windows 8 64bit GW2765 syncmaster ex2220 HP 5187-7583 
PowerCaseMouse
evga 750b Corsair 450d Roccat Kone + 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGordon View Post

Wonder what the hell is happening to the boards in sleep mode.

Windows 8 Sleep mode: The killer of sleeping mobos.

It comes to their beds at night, and touches them in naughty places!
Silent Dominator
(28 items)
 
Classy Lady
(26 items)
 
TUF Inside
(18 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
Silent Dominator
(28 items)
 
Classy Lady
(26 items)
 
TUF Inside
(18 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortySmalls View Post

It comes to their beds at night, and touches them in naughty places!

You might also check your PSU... I'm convinced that it killed mine. Or, alternatively, that the PSU caused some issue with your mobo. Seems like I found a thread about the issue a while back and now can't locate it...

Needless to say, go into your power options and turn off sleep mode/hibernate...
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post

You might also check your PSU... I'm convinced that it killed mine. Or, alternatively, that the PSU caused some issue with your mobo ...

Quite possible. S3 suspend to RAM draws from the PSU's +5VSB output, and if +5VSB doesn't behave we'll get problems varying from hang ups to fried mobos. Crappy PSUs come with crappy +5VSB circuit, more prone to failure. Example of mobo serial killer piece of junk PSU:


Quote:
Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post

Needless to say, go into your power options and turn off sleep mode/hibernate...

That's a bit drastic, with decent hardware (PSU, mobo, etc.) in good condition S3 is as safe or safer than shut down/cold power on.
HAL-9011
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 960T X6 4.1GHz ASUS M4A89GTD Pro Radeon HD 6870 16 GB DDR3 1600MHz 8·8·8·24 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 4 128GB OCZ Vertex 2 120GB WD Caviar Black 1TB LG DVD-RW 
CoolingCoolingOSOS
Noctua NH-D14 Accelero S1 R.2 + 2x NF-F12 Se7en x64 Se7en x32 
PowerCase
Antec TP-650W CM HAF 912 + 
  hide details  
Reply
HAL-9011
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 960T X6 4.1GHz ASUS M4A89GTD Pro Radeon HD 6870 16 GB DDR3 1600MHz 8·8·8·24 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 4 128GB OCZ Vertex 2 120GB WD Caviar Black 1TB LG DVD-RW 
CoolingCoolingOSOS
Noctua NH-D14 Accelero S1 R.2 + 2x NF-F12 Se7en x64 Se7en x32 
PowerCase
Antec TP-650W CM HAF 912 + 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TELVM View Post

Quite possible. S3 suspend to RAM draws from the PSU's +5VSB output, and if +5VSB doesn't behave we'll get problems varying from hang ups to fried mobos. Crappy PSUs come with crappy +5VSB circuit, more prone to failure. Example of mobo serial killer piece of junk PSU:

That's a bit drastic, with decent hardware (PSU, mobo, etc.) in good condition S3 is as safe or safer than shut down/cold power on.

I was told my PSU is really good and it got excellent reviews? EVGA 1000 G2
Silent Dominator
(28 items)
 
Classy Lady
(26 items)
 
TUF Inside
(18 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
Silent Dominator
(28 items)
 
Classy Lady
(26 items)
 
TUF Inside
(18 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortySmalls View Post

I was told my PSU is really good and it got excellent reviews? EVGA 1000 G2

Failures in PC components can always happen no matter what, just because something got good reviews doesn't mean it never fails. I would recommend testing the PSU
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Windows
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Put windows 8 into sleep mode, and now PC doesn't work!