Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › which would benefit me more?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

which would benefit me more? - Page 3

post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by btupsx View Post

Out of the responses thus far, gotta give the thumbs up to willibj's plan. Makes the most sense, is balanced, and stays relatively within your assumed budget. *However*, I'm interested in what mobo you have. Your current CPU has a number of factors against it; can only be stably overclocked to ~2.6 Ghz, has low L2/L3 cache compared to modern processors, and would definitely bottleneck the bejeezus out of the 780. If you're able, I would upgrade the CPU and RAM, though 6 GB really isn't horrible, you could stay with it. If you keep your current CPU, it is a must that you max overclock it. If you keep your current components, modestly update them and just get the 780, you will not have to worry about a GPU for at least 3 years, and can wait a year to completely upgrade the rest of your rig.

He will definately need a better CPU. its simply too slow to effectively handle modern MMORPGs.
Not even an ivybridge M at 3.2ghz was capable, i had to step up to a ivyM and overclock to 4ghz to really get mmorpgs to handle well.

He should definately go for a better CPU situation first.
post #22 of 28
True, MMORPGs would bring his system to a near standstill because of the CPU.
Up in the Air
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 Asus M5a99fx Pro r2.0 PowerColor 7850 2GBD5-2DHE/OC + Arctic Accelero S1 Kingston HyperX 8GB 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM WD Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM Asus 24x DVD-RW Zalman CNPS14X 
OSOSMonitorPower
Ubuntu 14.04 x64 Windows 8.1 x64 HP w2207 Seasonic SS-660XP2 ATX 
CaseOther
Corsair 540 Air Crucial MX100 256GB 
  hide details  
Reply
Up in the Air
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 Asus M5a99fx Pro r2.0 PowerColor 7850 2GBD5-2DHE/OC + Arctic Accelero S1 Kingston HyperX 8GB 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM WD Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM Asus 24x DVD-RW Zalman CNPS14X 
OSOSMonitorPower
Ubuntu 14.04 x64 Windows 8.1 x64 HP w2207 Seasonic SS-660XP2 ATX 
CaseOther
Corsair 540 Air Crucial MX100 256GB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by btupsx View Post

Out of the responses thus far, gotta give the thumbs up to willibj's plan. Makes the most sense, is balanced, and stays relatively within your assumed budget. *However*, I'm interested in what mobo you have. Your current CPU has a number of factors against it; can only be stably overclocked to ~2.6 Ghz, has low L2/L3 cache compared to modern processors, and would definitely bottleneck the bejeezus out of the 780. If you're able, I would upgrade the CPU and RAM, though 6 GB really isn't horrible, you could stay with it. If you keep your current CPU, it is a must that you max overclock it. If you keep your current components, modestly update them and just get the 780, you will not have to worry about a GPU for at least 3 years, and can wait a year to completely upgrade the rest of your rig.

i have http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/ALiveN570SLI-eSATA2/

that one tongue.gif

April
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by btupsx View Post

True, MMORPGs would bring his system to a near standstill because of the CPU.
a minimum of 4ghz, and ideally 4.3~4.5ghz range.
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilmiles View Post

i have http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/ALiveN570SLI-eSATA2/

that one tongue.gif

April

Ah, ok. The mobo specs really aren't that bad, supports up to 16 GB and has a second x16 lane running at x8, so you really could just SLI by grabbing a duplicate of your GPU, would place in near-ish 770 performance. However, the weak link in the mobo is supported CPU's. The max it supports is the Phenom x4 9950; at best it OC's to ~3.2-3.3 Ghz, and that is with ultra premium air cooling. It also has the same level of L2/L3 as your current proc, so not good in that area either. It all depends how much you play high count multiplayer games like MMORPGs, and how much you can find CPU and second GPU for (~$160?). I have the feeling that it would just be more cost effective in the long run to start fresh.
Edited by btupsx - 10/8/13 at 1:16pm
Up in the Air
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 Asus M5a99fx Pro r2.0 PowerColor 7850 2GBD5-2DHE/OC + Arctic Accelero S1 Kingston HyperX 8GB 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM WD Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM Asus 24x DVD-RW Zalman CNPS14X 
OSOSMonitorPower
Ubuntu 14.04 x64 Windows 8.1 x64 HP w2207 Seasonic SS-660XP2 ATX 
CaseOther
Corsair 540 Air Crucial MX100 256GB 
  hide details  
Reply
Up in the Air
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 Asus M5a99fx Pro r2.0 PowerColor 7850 2GBD5-2DHE/OC + Arctic Accelero S1 Kingston HyperX 8GB 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM WD Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM Asus 24x DVD-RW Zalman CNPS14X 
OSOSMonitorPower
Ubuntu 14.04 x64 Windows 8.1 x64 HP w2207 Seasonic SS-660XP2 ATX 
CaseOther
Corsair 540 Air Crucial MX100 256GB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by btupsx View Post

I have the feeling that it would just be more cost effective in the long run to start fresh.

This is what led me to my suggestion. You can cut it so many ways, but an original Phenom system is not going to be sufficiently upgradeable, and either a CPU or GPU upgrade without doing the other will leave you definitively unbalanced. If you're going to slap together a new system there's only a few solid, logical options with the size of budget you have, so we end up at an i5/i7 or 8350 and a high end (but not enthusiast) GPU.

It all leads me down the same path as my first suggestion when I think it through. Balanced, upgradeable, cost effective, future-ready.
Edited by willibj - 10/8/13 at 1:29pm
MicroPuter
(24 items)
 
PortaPuter
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3470 @ 3.82ghz Asus P8Z77-M 4gb Leadtek Hurricane GTX970 @ 1498mhz/1900mhz 8gb Corsair Vengeance LP @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2tb Samsung D3 Station Ext. HDD 2tb Seagate Barracuda 3tb Western Digital Green 3tb Western Digital Green 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2tb Samsung F4 (Ext. Dock) 2tb Samsung F4 (Ext. Dock) 1.5tb Samsung F2 (Ext. Dock) 1tb Samsung F2 (Ext. Dock) 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG DVDR-W +/- Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 AOC i2369vm 23" IPS @ 75hz 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
40" Samsung S5000 1080p LED TV - UA40EH5000R Tecknet Phoenix Mechanical Corsair Builder Series VS550 Cooler Master Elite RC-343 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
SteelSeries Xai SteelSeries QcK  JVC-HA-R700 XBOX 360 Controller for Windows 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3210m 2gb Radeon HD7670m DDR3 @ 780mhz/1095mhz 6gb DDR3 1600mhz 500gb HDD 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 64bit 14" Brightview LED (1366x768) 
  hide details  
Reply
MicroPuter
(24 items)
 
PortaPuter
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3470 @ 3.82ghz Asus P8Z77-M 4gb Leadtek Hurricane GTX970 @ 1498mhz/1900mhz 8gb Corsair Vengeance LP @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2tb Samsung D3 Station Ext. HDD 2tb Seagate Barracuda 3tb Western Digital Green 3tb Western Digital Green 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2tb Samsung F4 (Ext. Dock) 2tb Samsung F4 (Ext. Dock) 1.5tb Samsung F2 (Ext. Dock) 1tb Samsung F2 (Ext. Dock) 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG DVDR-W +/- Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 AOC i2369vm 23" IPS @ 75hz 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
40" Samsung S5000 1080p LED TV - UA40EH5000R Tecknet Phoenix Mechanical Corsair Builder Series VS550 Cooler Master Elite RC-343 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
SteelSeries Xai SteelSeries QcK  JVC-HA-R700 XBOX 360 Controller for Windows 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3210m 2gb Radeon HD7670m DDR3 @ 780mhz/1095mhz 6gb DDR3 1600mhz 500gb HDD 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 64bit 14" Brightview LED (1366x768) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by btupsx View Post

Ah, ok. The mobo specs really aren't that bad, supports up to 16 GB and has a second x16 lane running at x8, so you really could just SLI by grabbing a duplicate of your GPU, would place in near-ish 770 performance. However, the weak link in the mobo is supported CPU's. The max it supports is the Phenom x4 9950; at best it OC's to ~3.2-3.3 Ghz, and that is with ultra premium air cooling. It also has the same level of L2/L3 as your current proc, so not good in that area either. It all depends how much you play high count multiplayer games like MMORPGs, and how much you can find CPU and second GPU for (~$160?). I have the feeling that it would just be more cost effective in the long run to start fresh.

Most MMORPGs do not take advantage of multiGPUs. A 2nd GPU isn't a good idea when it comes to MMORPGs. When it comes to MMOs a single GPU configuration is a better idea for compatability.

Although they are playing FFXIV which does have multi GPU support.
post #28 of 28
yeah the ALiveN570SLI-eSATA2 doesn't have an updated BIOS with the correct agesa code to enable support for am3 cpus so in that case a new motherboard and CPU is required so if your plan to go with an AMD CPU/motherboard this time around i would say go for an 8320/6800k or if you want to go Intel this time around a 4670k/4770k i would recommend keeping your current GPU an upgrade to a 780 isnt really worth it you should be fine using the 560ti

if you play MMORPGs mostly more cores isnt really going to help you need stronger cores so overclocking is something you maybe want to look into
Red Queen
(12 items)
 
lenovo T60
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel core 2 due mobile t7600 lenovo 1935dau intel 945 express kingston ddr2 pc-5400 
Hard DriveOS
ocz agility2 windows 10 pro 64bit 
  hide details  
Reply
Red Queen
(12 items)
 
lenovo T60
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel core 2 due mobile t7600 lenovo 1935dau intel 945 express kingston ddr2 pc-5400 
Hard DriveOS
ocz agility2 windows 10 pro 64bit 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PC Gaming
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › which would benefit me more?