Today, BB wanted a break to go do some things so I didn't steal all of his holidays, so I set about finding a bearing for the Fan, as he works with aircraft, Fan was also his thing, but I set out to source the bits I'd need.
So, from the engine of a 1960's-1980's bedford truck, I introduce an Alternator !!! (I think?) It's also the same engine I got the original fan from.
Pulling it apart wasn't too difficult, just needed elbow grease, a hammer, pliers and a couple of spanners.
So after getting down to this being in experienced, I was stumped when my old man happened by and said I'd need to drill out the rivets holding it all together, the alternative was to make the fan on this part, but the bearing couldn't make a full turn without force, after all it was almost double my age if not more than.
So now being open we can see it's glory and gunk.
Some petrol and a light brushing, little bit of WD40 and here we go, a bearing.
So that done, I had to get some more parts for other things as BB was the Fan builder.
Second scrapyard, though smaller, had some angle beam that I needed.
For the rest of the morning, I hunted for more bones, I wanted something to cover some cables I was running and thought a spine would be a great idea, you can fit 4 single core wires through the gap where the spinal fluid goes (for those morbidly curious) at least as far as Merino Sheep are concerned.
So to kill some time, I decided to wire up the "On" light, only to discover that I in fact HATED the light that I had, it's too yellow and isn't ugly enough, too clean. So I'll be re-wiring in something new I think, either red or a filament bulb, even if it is a real pain to change when it blows.
Spine, found in pieces, it's like a weird type of jigsaw to get it back, it was only in halves, but still a lot of messing around with silicon to get it to one solid piece. This is to take the power cables up to the light.
Using some hose from the Bedford Engine, I made this sort of Pipe to hold the light up. The pump end almost weighs a Kilo by itself, it's being help up by tension
Soldering Gear, I haven't had to solder since I was an Apprentice in 2010, and even then that was a gas one.
Zifo 3:15-18 "and on the 3rd day he mumbled, "I bloody hope this works" and it did, light beamed from the top and Zifo was happy"
Better (heh, who am I kidding) night view.
That's the On light sorted, now I need to wire that into a 12v molex plug (yay new learning experience) and I can't work out how to have it work only whilst the PC is on, I'd also like to make it flicker, but that sort of tech is beyond me, but not for much longer.
By this stage, BB decided to pop by, he was pleased with the bearing we got despite it being bigger than he'd hope.
I went away for 10 minutes and came back to the beginning of the Fan.
As with the rest of Australias Finest, he was quick and efficient making the worst aerodynamic abomination he ever has.
Propeller! 3 of these were made, 1 was broken
Can't have matched propellers, Bandits don't like symmetry.
The best fan you'll ever not actually want (but I do). It's currently still unbalanced, and I hope to rectify that, but I still doubt it will ever spin freely.
That afternoon BB took off and I stayed behind to begin the Optical Dryv.
Optikal Dryv was the best learning experience because other than advice BB said I needed to learn without any help. So I set about getting the tin and measuring what I would need using a 7 year old Optical IDE Drive.
Bolt Turned Hammer
Flattening and bending the Corrugated Iron
Back parts didn't end up meeting so had to Pop rivet on a plate to keep it all together.
Then the butchering of the side panel to accomodate for Power and Sata cables for the Optical Drive to actually function..
After putting it on with bolts and strips...
... I relised that I needed two bolts, washers and nuts so I had to look through here
and pick here as well.
Ta-da!!! Optikal Dryv !! I shook that as hard as I possibly could, and I'm a big bloke, so it was being shook pretty good. Wouldn't come loose.
Only issue with that part is it's awfully tight and I don't know enough about the inner machinations of an Optical Drive to know if that tightness from the top will impair disc spinning.
So, that being the end of the day, I took a happy snap and then had a break.
Also you can see the beginning of the "porch" or "Verandah" portion, I have no idea what the correct term is. So that's day
End of Day 3, and now I'm going to head off for a few hours so I may not update again until tomorrow. Any questions or issues you can point out, feel free to shoot them in the thread and I'll respond as I get time over the next couple of days.