Originally Posted by Red1
As a current owner of an AMD HD7990 here are are my thoughts on the card and advice to you:
- Make sure you have very good airflow in your case. This thing gets hot. Mine is sitting inside a Cooler Master Cosmos II (supertower) with plenty of airflow and the card hits 84C. This is due to the design of the cooler, like one of the users here said, they don't exhaust air out but instead inside the case and trust me it gets really hot inside the case, which means you need good cooling for your CPU, Hard drives etc.
- This behemoth is BIG. 12" I think so make sure you have enough space.
- It is really loud at full load. The 3 fans usually work at 50-60% under heavy load and you will definitely hear it.
- The microsttutering issue is way overrated. There aren't as many problems with games and framerate.
- If you are gaming at 1080p this card is overkill. Its natural habitat is in 1440P and up resolutions although I do understand that at 550$ this thing is a bargain.
Overall the card is really nice and it does deliver in every game and resolution and in my opinion at $550 this card is definitely worth it. If you are unsure and if you have a Microcenter store near you go grab one and give it a shot. They have a 30 day return policy and no restocking fee if you return it, unlike newegg and other stores.
I just bought myself a XFX 7990 a few weeks back (I've got the same case!) and I had a panic attack when I first heard the whine, but i generally game with headphones on anyway so it's not really an issue.
The heat is definitely a problem, like you said, under load it hits 84c easily, you can feel the hot air venting out the top of the case, and after a few hours it actually heated up my small office nicely. I can only hope that the rest of the components inside are cool with it though.
Given all this, I've been thinking about a full water loop lately, but I can't seem to find any concrete info about whether the XFX 7990 is a reference Pcb with just a custom cooler, or if the whole thing is custom. Any know? It seems an EK block might
fit but I'm not 100% sure (http://www.coolingconfigurator.com/waterblock/3831109868140
EDIT: I've not noticed any micro-stutter (that worried me prior to purchase!) in BF4, Hitman, Dirt 3 or Blood Dragon. Will try Skyrim later as I only just got it on sale.Edited by Plaedien - 11/28/13 at 7:33pm