Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Photography › Went for a ride yesterday and shot the stars
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Went for a ride yesterday and shot the stars

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
So, a few friends and I went out to shoot some star trails and this is what I got from it. After driving out in the middle of nowhere we arrived at Fakahatchee Strand Preserve State Park. There we drove off road through rough terrain to get to our destination. I have never shot star trials before so this was quite a new experience. I learned a lot from doing this. I could have never done it with out the expertise of my friend and his hand warmers to prevent dew from building up on the lens during the 3hrs of shooting. Hope you like it and I can't wait to improve next time!


This was the first shot I did last night of the stars. It was soo amazing out in the middle of nowhere. lol Barely any light pollution. I can only imagine what it would look like at the dark-sky reserves!
10219074895_696e5d14ed_z.jpg
First Shot by Sean Webster Photo, on Flickr

Next I tried to get some of the milky way better:
10219199303_853e173844_z.jpg
Boring End of the Milky Way by Sean Webster Photo, on Flickr

Here is my first star trial attempt. This photo is a composite of quite a few shots. About 180 images actually. lol Merged all of them into the sky you see:
10219070603_82a81cf676_z.jpg
First Star Trail Attempt Ever by Sean Webster Photo, on Flickr

I got some shooting stars in my shots for the star trail:
10219191954_4806595fdf_z.jpg
Shooting Stars by Sean Webster Photo, on Flickr

Also did a composite of my buddy's Jeep with it. The Jeep didn't come out how I wanted because I was using his camera and couldn't sue mine with my strobes how I would have liked. But, i wound up just light painting it with my flashes by just repeatedly popping them. And when merging the images the selection outline for the sky vs foliage isn't that great, but I didn't feel like spending 2hrs making it perfect. lol
10216629466_3a0f73d09b_z.jpg
Jeep in it's Natural Habitat by Sean Webster Photo, on Flickr

Here is without the trails:
10216264813_59d1648f93_z.jpg
Jeep in it's Natural Habitat by Sean Webster Photo, on Flickr
post #2 of 7
Cry engine
post #3 of 7
I love the shots of the jeep!

How long did you paint with light on your jeep?

These look good especially for the lens you were using with the f-stop, though i loved the 15mm.
A wider open lens should help get rid of the white looking haze over the black sky.

Btw the 50 1.8 and 85 1.8 are not good for star gazing.

My Tamron 17-50 2.8 is great, but i would like a wider lens.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but what wide lens do people recommend for star shooting?
post #4 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambok2012 View Post

Cry engine
o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro5797 View Post

I love the shots of the jeep!

How long did you paint with light on your jeep?
Thanks. I have no idea lol. My friend and I just walked around it with a strobe and popped them off manually a few times during the exposure. I think like 30 times each.
Quote:
These look good especially for the lens you were using with the f-stop, though i loved the 15mm.
It is the best all around lens I've used yet. It is going to suck parting with it when I go FF. frown.gif
Quote:
A wider open lens should help get rid of the white looking haze over the black sky.

Btw the 50 1.8 and 85 1.8 are not good for star gazing.
Yep
Quote:
My Tamron 17-50 2.8 is great, but i would like a wider lens.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but what wide lens do people recommend for star shooting?
For crop sensor: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554035-REG/Tokina_ATX116PRODXC_11_16mm_f_2_8_AT_X_116.html
or
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/535763-USA/Sigma_477_101_10mm_f_2_8_EX_DC.html
post #5 of 7
That Tokina looks good. Idk that i am ready to go as wide as the 10mm as of yet with the sigma.

I was also looking into the Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, but it is manual only. This is fine for stars, but if i want to use it indoors, i was hoping for AF.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/769532-REG/Rokinon_FE14M_C_14mm_Ultra_Wide_Angle_f_2_8.html

I was looking into the 10-22 Canon, but it only opens to F/3.5

I am 6 months + from buying another lens, so i will have plenty of research to do.

Sean, what FF have you decided to go with?
post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro5797 View Post

That Tokina looks good. Idk that i am ready to go as wide as the 10mm as of yet with the sigma.

I was also looking into the Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, but it is manual only. This is fine for stars, but if i want to use it indoors, i was hoping for AF.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/769532-REG/Rokinon_FE14M_C_14mm_Ultra_Wide_Angle_f_2_8.html
ooo, I forgot about that one. Yea, it sucks that it doesn't have AF.
Quote:
I was looking into the 10-22 Canon, but it only opens to F/3.5

I am 6 months + from buying another lens, so i will have plenty of research to do.
And plenty of time to do so! biggrin.gif
Quote:
Sean, what FF have you decided to go with?
IDK. lol. I want to test both the D800 and 5DMKIII under the same conditions and similar lenses and see what kind of image I can produce with each before I jump on one. Bases on reviews 5DMKIII is better in ISO department, BUT the D800 has better dynamic range and color depth and more pxls, therefore it should be less noticeable when it comes to high iso color loss and noise. BUT, again, that is from reading on them, not from me actually seeing the results of each under my own conditions and editing. I really have no other reason to upgrade besides IQ and that FF sensor + lens perspective. I may wait it out till a 5DMKIV comes out or something. XD It all depends on where my $ takes me. $3K on a box that captures light slightly better than my current tool is a tough decision I am not ready to make because I like $ A LOT. I'm actually starting to look into studio equip...but mobile stuff for outdoors work. And I found a few studios near me I can rent by the hr or however long for cheap. So I'm hoping to use one soon.
post #7 of 7
Pretty Cool!!! I love all of them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Photography
Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Photography › Went for a ride yesterday and shot the stars