This should actually be fairly easy to get set up. Basically lets break this down into a few sections. I will give you some general info but any specifics you would have to report back or let us know some more information.
This is actually very easy just depends on what you are using. You could go a few routes.
Windows: You can use XAMPP or WAMP. Either will get you up and running in a matter of minutes. You do need to keep in mind that you should have some kind of firewall on your system and I would personally not have any vital information on it. To do this quickly do the following
- Download Wamp (http://www.wampserver.com/en/#download-wrapper) get version 2.4 for your platform
- Install wamp. I suggest using a standard HDD for this but whatever will work
- Once it is set up you should be able to launch both the Apache and mySQL servers without error. If you get any errors just let me know which ones and I might be able to help you out
This should get your hosting platform set up. Now you need to select a forum software. you said phpbb 3. So download that. (https://www.phpbb.com/downloads/?sid=d67ff11e130b0c5bf2975df553fd90a9
Now click the WAMp icon and go to www directory. You want to extra the forum software into the root of that. You want index.php to be in this directory.
Now you need to setup your mysql server do the following
set up a password
Check out this link http://developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/Setup_MySQL_in_WAMP_-_password_setting,_service_shutdown_%26_startup
set up site
1. visit http://localhost/phpmyadmin/
2. Click Databases along the top bar
3. name your database. in this example I will name it `forum`
4. Now load up http://localhost
5. follow the instalation wizard for phpbb3.
6. When it ask for mysql server detail enter your database name, username and password.
7. it should go right through. If not report back any issues.
Set up network
If you are running this behind a network you will need to forward a few ports. port 80 should be fine but in your isp blocks port 80 you will need to select another port. You don't need to change port 80 on the internal side. Tell me which router you use and I could help you set up port forwarding. You can also check out http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/
Set up domain
all you need to do now is set up your dns. You do not need to set it up on your local machine. I currently use cloudflare. Their service is great and works really well for me and also give you an easy to edit DNS interface. You could also just use your registrars interface. What you want to do is enter in your dns your ip address for the host. Typically you would enter the following
Ip: your ip address
and then also enter
ip: your ip address.
once you do that you should be good to go. If you want email I would suggest using some service which is not hosted on your server. Take a look at Google apps. Its free if you keep it to 5 email address/users and it works really well. Check out https://support.google.com/a/answer/2855120?hl=en
Good luck. hope this helps you out. If you got any questions let me know.