Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [BBC] Flossie, the 50-year-old computer, to be resurrected
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[BBC] Flossie, the 50-year-old computer, to be resurrected - Page 9

post #81 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by serp777 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerapar88 View Post

You don't know what you are talking about. Vintage is not 1980's cars, its 1920's, 30's, 40's etc. Cars from those times, mainly sport models, struggled to get to 100+ HP and were quite heavy. A small car from today would beat any vintage car in a cirtcuit race.

for eg. "Prices for the Model A ranged from US$385 for a roadster to $1400 for the top-of-the-line Town Car. The engine was a water-cooled L-head 4-cylinder with a displacement of 201 cu in (3.3 l). This engine provided 40 hp (30 kW; 41 PS). Top speed was around 65 mph (105 km/h). The Model A had a 103.5 in (2,630 mm) wheelbase with a final drive ratio of 3.77:1. The transmission was a conventional 3-speed sliding gear manual unsynchronised unit with a single speed reverse. The Model A had 4-wheel mechanical drum brakes. The 1930 and 1931 editions came with stainless steel radiator cowling and headlamp housings."

My point wasn't that vintage cars are from the 80's, or that a vintage car is equivalent in performance to a modern car; it was that if the rate of change of the improvement of cars matched the rate of change of the improvement of computers (moore's law), then this computer would be like a stone wheel, and a Pentium 4 lga775 would be like a vintage car from the 30's in terms of relative efficiency/performance.

In other words, cars have barely improved compared to the improvement of computers over time. That's why this computer would be like a stone wheel from the dark ages.

I think the real question was missed entirely...

Why not revive it?
If someone has the money and passion do something non-harmful then why argue against it?

If you don't like it then move on. Otherwise you can enjoy a bit of survived history being revived.
post #82 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyparker1337 View Post

I think the real question was missed entirely...

Why not revive it?
If someone has the money and passion do something non-harmful then why argue against it?

If you don't like it then move on. Otherwise you can enjoy a bit of survived history being revived.

Well im allowed to state my opinion that I think the money would be much better of in a charity rather than resurrecting a trash bin.

Do something good if you feel like wasting a bunch of cash. History is not a good enough reason since we already have billions of intermediaries in museums, etc.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k 5.0 ghz 1.39v Asus p8p67 deluxe SLI 465 4 gb gskill 1600mhz Cas 6 
Hard DrivePower
ocz vertex 2 60 gb 650 watt 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k 5.0 ghz 1.39v Asus p8p67 deluxe SLI 465 4 gb gskill 1600mhz Cas 6 
Hard DrivePower
ocz vertex 2 60 gb 650 watt 
  hide details  
Reply
post #83 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by serp777 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyparker1337 View Post

I think the real question was missed entirely...

Why not revive it?
If someone has the money and passion do something non-harmful then why argue against it?

If you don't like it then move on. Otherwise you can enjoy a bit of survived history being revived.

Well im allowed to state my opinion that I think the money would be much better of in a charity rather than resurrecting a trash bin.

Do something good if you feel like wasting a bunch of cash. History is not a good enough reason since we already have billions of intermediaries in museums, etc.

You are entitled to your opinion but it does make you seem like a fool.

Just a take a look at the DoD budget.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2b/U.S._Federal_Spending_-_FY_2011.png/800px-U.S._Federal_Spending_-_FY_2011.png

Over $670 billion was spent on the sole purpose of warfare that results in people dying. Yet you are worried about an old computer being revived.
Edited by kennyparker1337 - 10/17/13 at 11:49pm
post #84 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyparker1337 View Post

You are entitled to your opinion but it does make you seem like a fool.

Just a take a look at the DoD budget.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2b/U.S._Federal_Spending_-_FY_2011.png/800px-U.S._Federal_Spending_-_FY_2011.png

Over $670 billion was spent on the sole purpose of warfare that results in people dying. Yet you are worried about an old computer being revived.



What makes you think i'm worried?

And this article isn't about the DOD budget, nor is it about obamacare, nor is it about any other budget related concern of the U.S.
if this article was about the DOD spending budget, then i would probably say it's unnecessarily high. Plus DOD spending has a lot of other positive benefits anyways, but this isn't a political thread.

I mean, you're worried about 670 billion when the U.S. is 15 trillion in debt? Just because there are higher magnitudes of spending doesnt mean we should just stop caring about smaller spending. All large spending is made from smaller spending. See why your simple logic isn't very good?

And since you're so concerned about lives, the money from this computer could go to feeding starving children in Africa
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k 5.0 ghz 1.39v Asus p8p67 deluxe SLI 465 4 gb gskill 1600mhz Cas 6 
Hard DrivePower
ocz vertex 2 60 gb 650 watt 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k 5.0 ghz 1.39v Asus p8p67 deluxe SLI 465 4 gb gskill 1600mhz Cas 6 
Hard DrivePower
ocz vertex 2 60 gb 650 watt 
  hide details  
Reply
post #85 of 103
What does US spending have anything to do with the British reviving and displaying a piece of their history?
 
DD Portable
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 5675C Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 5 XFX RX 480 GTR 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Evo Western Digital Black RE4 2TB Western Digital Green 2TB Arctic Cooling Accelero S3 (Passive for GPU) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
bequiet! Silent Wings 2 140mm PWM bequiet! Silent Wings 2 140mm PWM bequiet! Shadow Wings SW1 120mm PWM bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Arch X64 / Gnome and OSX 10.11 Dell U2414H KBC Poker II be quiet! Straight Power 10 400W 
CaseMouse
bequiet! Silent Base 800 Speedlink Omni VI  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3427U The Googs HD4000 4GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32GB Flash / 128GB SanDisk Extreme SD card ChromeOS / Ubuntu 14.04 12" 2560x1700 bad 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
not much  Aluminium  Trackpad it makes noise I think  
  hide details  
Reply
 
DD Portable
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 5675C Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 5 XFX RX 480 GTR 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Evo Western Digital Black RE4 2TB Western Digital Green 2TB Arctic Cooling Accelero S3 (Passive for GPU) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
bequiet! Silent Wings 2 140mm PWM bequiet! Silent Wings 2 140mm PWM bequiet! Shadow Wings SW1 120mm PWM bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Arch X64 / Gnome and OSX 10.11 Dell U2414H KBC Poker II be quiet! Straight Power 10 400W 
CaseMouse
bequiet! Silent Base 800 Speedlink Omni VI  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3427U The Googs HD4000 4GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32GB Flash / 128GB SanDisk Extreme SD card ChromeOS / Ubuntu 14.04 12" 2560x1700 bad 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
not much  Aluminium  Trackpad it makes noise I think  
  hide details  
Reply
post #86 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post

What does US spending have anything to do with the British reviving and displaying a piece of their history?

This!

And also, what is wrong with reviving a piece of history and putting it in a museum, that is kind of the point of a museum, they given money to do exact thing like this. Even more awesome if it is working order
Nothing V2
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.7GHz Asrock z77 Extreme4 Club3D R9 290 Corsair Vengance 8GB 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair 120GB SSD Samsung 1.5TB Samsung 1TB Samsung DVD-RAM 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Thermaltake Frio Window 7 Ultimate Samsung BX2450 LG W2343S 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse Pad
Razor Blackwidow Corsair TX750W Coolermaster CM690 Gigabyte Ghost 
Audio
Asus Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
Nothing V2
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.7GHz Asrock z77 Extreme4 Club3D R9 290 Corsair Vengance 8GB 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair 120GB SSD Samsung 1.5TB Samsung 1TB Samsung DVD-RAM 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Thermaltake Frio Window 7 Ultimate Samsung BX2450 LG W2343S 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse Pad
Razor Blackwidow Corsair TX750W Coolermaster CM690 Gigabyte Ghost 
Audio
Asus Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #87 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by serp777 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyparker1337 View Post

You are entitled to your opinion but it does make you seem like a fool.

Just a take a look at the DoD budget.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2b/U.S._Federal_Spending_-_FY_2011.png/800px-U.S._Federal_Spending_-_FY_2011.png

Over $670 billion was spent on the sole purpose of warfare that results in people dying. Yet you are worried about an old computer being revived.



What makes you think i'm worried?

And this article isn't about the DOD budget, nor is it about obamacare, nor is it about any other budget related concern of the U.S.
if this article was about the DOD spending budget, then i would probably say it's unnecessarily high. Plus DOD spending has a lot of other positive benefits anyways, but this isn't a political thread.

I mean, you're worried about 670 billion when the U.S. is 15 trillion in debt? Just because there are higher magnitudes of spending doesnt mean we should just stop caring about smaller spending. All large spending is made from smaller spending. See why your simple logic isn't very good?

And since you're so concerned about lives, the money from this computer could go to feeding starving children in Africa

You seem to have misinterpreted my comment.
I wasn't expressing my concern about the issues I listed but just offering a fact that your priorities aren't quite in order.
My point was that there are much bigger problems in the world than worrying about whether or not we should be reviving an old machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post

What does US spending have anything to do with the British reviving and displaying a piece of their history?

I was making an observation based upon my country.

There are billions of dollars going into funding the destruction of things (and I'm not saying this is good or bad, or that this sums the entire defense system up but just the fact that it does tend to primarily cause destruction) and yet people can be so against a little penny it costs in comparison to revive some ancient history of which causes no harm?
post #88 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyparker1337 View Post

You seem to have misinterpreted my comment.
I wasn't expressing my concern about the issues I listed but just offering a fact that your priorities aren't quite in order.
My point was that there are much bigger problems in the world than worrying about whether or not we should be reviving an old machine.
I was making an observation based upon my country.

There are billions of dollars going into funding the destruction of things (and I'm not saying this is good or bad, or that this sums the entire defense system up but just the fact that it does tend to primarily cause destruction) and yet people can be so against a little penny it costs in comparison to revive some ancient history of which causes no harm?

No you weren't, you didn't read the OP you assumed that it was in the states.
 
DD Portable
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 5675C Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 5 XFX RX 480 GTR 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Evo Western Digital Black RE4 2TB Western Digital Green 2TB Arctic Cooling Accelero S3 (Passive for GPU) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
bequiet! Silent Wings 2 140mm PWM bequiet! Silent Wings 2 140mm PWM bequiet! Shadow Wings SW1 120mm PWM bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Arch X64 / Gnome and OSX 10.11 Dell U2414H KBC Poker II be quiet! Straight Power 10 400W 
CaseMouse
bequiet! Silent Base 800 Speedlink Omni VI  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3427U The Googs HD4000 4GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32GB Flash / 128GB SanDisk Extreme SD card ChromeOS / Ubuntu 14.04 12" 2560x1700 bad 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
not much  Aluminium  Trackpad it makes noise I think  
  hide details  
Reply
 
DD Portable
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 5675C Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 5 XFX RX 480 GTR 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Evo Western Digital Black RE4 2TB Western Digital Green 2TB Arctic Cooling Accelero S3 (Passive for GPU) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
bequiet! Silent Wings 2 140mm PWM bequiet! Silent Wings 2 140mm PWM bequiet! Shadow Wings SW1 120mm PWM bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Arch X64 / Gnome and OSX 10.11 Dell U2414H KBC Poker II be quiet! Straight Power 10 400W 
CaseMouse
bequiet! Silent Base 800 Speedlink Omni VI  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3427U The Googs HD4000 4GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32GB Flash / 128GB SanDisk Extreme SD card ChromeOS / Ubuntu 14.04 12" 2560x1700 bad 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
not much  Aluminium  Trackpad it makes noise I think  
  hide details  
Reply
post #89 of 103
This thread ended up in dark places.
post #90 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyparker1337 View Post

You seem to have misinterpreted my comment.
I wasn't expressing my concern about the issues I listed but just offering a fact that your priorities aren't quite in order.
My point was that there are much bigger problems in the world than worrying about whether or not we should be reviving an old machine.
I was making an observation based upon my country.

There are billions of dollars going into funding the destruction of things (and I'm not saying this is good or bad, or that this sums the entire defense system up but just the fact that it does tend to primarily cause destruction) and yet people can be so against a little penny it costs in comparison to revive some ancient history of which causes no harm?

I didn't misinterpret your comment one single bit, you just didn't read mine.

I said "All large spending is made from smaller spending. " The money would be better off in a charity rather than literally throwing the money into a trash can.

That was the point. You say i should t care about small spending like this and used your bad DOD example. I proved it wrong by saying that worrying about DOD spending is also pointless by that logic since the U.S. is 15 trillion in debt. And worrying about U.S. debt is pointless when the world economy far exceeds 15 trillion.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k 5.0 ghz 1.39v Asus p8p67 deluxe SLI 465 4 gb gskill 1600mhz Cas 6 
Hard DrivePower
ocz vertex 2 60 gb 650 watt 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k 5.0 ghz 1.39v Asus p8p67 deluxe SLI 465 4 gb gskill 1600mhz Cas 6 
Hard DrivePower
ocz vertex 2 60 gb 650 watt 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [BBC] Flossie, the 50-year-old computer, to be resurrected