Here's an update of what I've been doing with the front panel. I wanted to post this when it was all done, but progress has been going so slow so might as well keep you in the loop. This has been the work taking up two weekends, so as you can see I haven't been able to find much time to work on this part
The front acrylic panel has been in place for over a week now. While it's intended to provide support for the aluminum sheet, I'm starting to get attached to the clear transparent look
Although, it still looks quite unfinished as it is.
About a week ago, I started cutting the aluminum front.
The sheet will be bent around the middle hole, where the bottom tab will appear on the opposite side to give the bottom front a more clear look. That's where the Blu-Ray drive will sit behind.
I used the side panel as a template for drawing out the input holes for cutting
I attempted to cut the hole for the power button first. This one was a bit dodgy, because the cutting wheels were too big to get into it, so I drilled a pilot hole and used a router bit to dremel through, controlled just with my hand
. That proved to be more unstable than I thought. It was easier to set the sheet vertically and route through the hole.
Hole viewed from the front. I still messed up, as there is a slight overcut on the bottom.
Viewed from the back. You can see why I was having trouble with the router bit, it was skipping all over the place! At least this side won't be visible at all.
I want to get done with these holes already this weekend, hopefully the rest will be easier to cut.