Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Motherboard features help please !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Motherboard features help please !

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Hello Overclock,
I am looking for a Z87 motherboard right now but there are so many of them out there that I don't know which one will benefit me the most. So, which features do you look for when buying a motherboard? I will use an i7 4770k and overclock it to over 4ghz with my Noctua u12p, so which one out there will be more stable for overclocking? which board has better Bios? I am torn between the Gigabyte Ud series, Asus Z87 Pro, Maximus Vi Hero, or MSI M Power.

I will choose which board to buy based on what you tell me, so help please!!
Edited by trihuynh1995 - 10/20/13 at 8:27am
post #2 of 11
The Maximus Hero is a good option. Haswell is not really dependent on the board you use. Any quality board will do just fine. Just find one that has the features you are looking for.
post #3 of 11
How many video cards?
Sexy
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 - 4770 MSI Z87 GD65 - Gaming Palit GTX 760 G.Skill 8gb DDR3 @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1TB Seagate 7200rpm Moserbaer dvd-rw Cooler Master Hyper 212X and 6 case fans. Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster 2033sw  Moserbaer  Seasonic M12ii - 650w Cooler Master HAF 912 Combat 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech M100r Zebronics TimePad  Philips Explode - 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Sexy
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 - 4770 MSI Z87 GD65 - Gaming Palit GTX 760 G.Skill 8gb DDR3 @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1TB Seagate 7200rpm Moserbaer dvd-rw Cooler Master Hyper 212X and 6 case fans. Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster 2033sw  Moserbaer  Seasonic M12ii - 650w Cooler Master HAF 912 Combat 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech M100r Zebronics TimePad  Philips Explode - 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Only one video card (r9 290x) for now, but I will buy one more couple months later.
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Seems like the Maximus Vi Hero doesn't come with Dual Bios. Do you think that I'll ever need such feature?
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by trihuynh1995 View Post

Seems like the Maximus Vi Hero doesn't come with Dual Bios. Do you think that I'll ever need such feature?

the duel BIOS feature is a good feature to have however most people will never use it and sense the hero has a BIOS flashback button you don't need the duel BIOS feature because you can flash from a usb drive if your BIOS would somehow become unstable
Red Queen
(12 items)
 
lenovo T60
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel core 2 due mobile t7600 lenovo 1935dau intel 945 express kingston ddr2 pc-5400 
Hard DriveOS
ocz agility2 windows 10 pro 64bit 
  hide details  
Reply
Red Queen
(12 items)
 
lenovo T60
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel core 2 due mobile t7600 lenovo 1935dau intel 945 express kingston ddr2 pc-5400 
Hard DriveOS
ocz agility2 windows 10 pro 64bit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 11
Maximus Vi Hero is good.
I dont know what to recommend since its really a matter of preference right now. You can list your preference and we'll take a look and see if its good or no. Among the one's mentioned above, Maximus is good choice.
Is there anything special that you want with your mobo?
Like for example I want front usb 3 SS connection and the sata connectors to be like in the Maximus Vi Hero. I was looking at MSI GD-65 Gaming coz it have everything I want and I love the dragon logo.
Have you already ordered Maximus Vi Hero or still choosing / is money a factor? & upto what range?
Sexy
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 - 4770 MSI Z87 GD65 - Gaming Palit GTX 760 G.Skill 8gb DDR3 @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1TB Seagate 7200rpm Moserbaer dvd-rw Cooler Master Hyper 212X and 6 case fans. Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster 2033sw  Moserbaer  Seasonic M12ii - 650w Cooler Master HAF 912 Combat 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech M100r Zebronics TimePad  Philips Explode - 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Sexy
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 - 4770 MSI Z87 GD65 - Gaming Palit GTX 760 G.Skill 8gb DDR3 @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1TB Seagate 7200rpm Moserbaer dvd-rw Cooler Master Hyper 212X and 6 case fans. Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster 2033sw  Moserbaer  Seasonic M12ii - 650w Cooler Master HAF 912 Combat 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech M100r Zebronics TimePad  Philips Explode - 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLautner View Post

Maximus Vi Hero is good.
I dont know what to recommend since its really a matter of preference right now. You can list your preference and we'll take a look and see if its good or no. Among the one's mentioned above, Maximus is good choice.
Is there anything special that you want with your mobo?
Like for example I want front usb 3 SS connection and the sata connectors to be like in the Maximus Vi Hero. I was looking at MSI GD-65 Gaming coz it have everything I want and I love the dragon logo.
Have you already ordered Maximus Vi Hero or still choosing / is money a factor? & upto what range?
Since I have to squeeze a lot to be able to get the r9 290x, my budget left for CPU+Mobo is around $450 (300 CPU + 150 Mobo). Fortunately I didn't buy anything yet, but now the i7 3770k is on sale at Micro Center for $265, with the Asus z77 v pro for $165 ( which will save me about $40 compare to Haswell build). But the problem is that it's an old version cpu and lga1155 is death now. Newer version (Haswell) motherboard certainly has some new features and updated bios, but it comes to mind that if I even need those new features or not. So now what do you think I should buy Ivy Bridge or Haswell?
I going to make a purchase on thursday so help me please.
Edited by trihuynh1995 - 10/22/13 at 2:29pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by trihuynh1995 View Post

Since I have to squeeze a lot to be able to get the r9 290x, my budget left for CPU+Mobo is around $450 (300 CPU + 150 Mobo). Fortunately I didn't buy anything yet, but now the i7 3770k is on sale at Micro Center for $265, with the Asus z77 v pro for $165 ( which will save me about $40 compare to Haswell build). But the problem is that it's an old version cpu and lga1155 is death now. Newer version (Haswell) motherboard certainly has some new features and updated bios, but it comes to mind that if I even need those new features or not. So now what do you think I should buy Ivy Bridge or Haswell?
I going to make a purchase on thursday so help me please.

haswell chips are new but not really better they run warmer and use more power if you can get the 3770k for cheaper go for it it will overclock better then haswell and use less power most people just go haswell for the 1150 motherboards which have some new features that the 1155 dont but if you can pick up the 3770k for a good deal go for it theres not much difference between the 2 anyways its just motherboard features mostly smile.gif
Red Queen
(12 items)
 
lenovo T60
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel core 2 due mobile t7600 lenovo 1935dau intel 945 express kingston ddr2 pc-5400 
Hard DriveOS
ocz agility2 windows 10 pro 64bit 
  hide details  
Reply
Red Queen
(12 items)
 
lenovo T60
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel core 2 due mobile t7600 lenovo 1935dau intel 945 express kingston ddr2 pc-5400 
Hard DriveOS
ocz agility2 windows 10 pro 64bit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozlay View Post

haswell chips are new but not really better they run warmer and use more power if you can get the 3770k for cheaper go for it it will overclock better then haswell and use less power most people just go haswell for the 1150 motherboards which have some new features that the 1155 dont but if you can pick up the 3770k for a good deal go for it theres not much difference between the 2 anyways its just motherboard features mostly smile.gif

Not necessarily true. I've got a chip that hit 4.6Ghz easily with very little power. 1.275Vcore and 1.85 Vrin. It's just different overclocking and is still fairly new. Not to mention subject to the silicon lottery like every other newer chip.

Both run hot because they decided not to use a soldered IHS. So, it is irrelvant on heat because until you delid either, they are both going to run 10C ~ish hotter than SandyBridge.

You are right in saying that it takes more power, because the TDP for an 3770k is 77watts while a 4770k is 84. However, is this difference warrant enough of to change?


To the OP: If you can grab a 3770k and good board for a decent decrease in price, go for it. However, with IPC improvements in Haswell, a 4.7Ghz 4770k will be about the same as a 5.0Ghz 3770k.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Motherboard features help please !