Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › How much juice do i need for my rig? i5+gtx 780
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How much juice do i need for my rig? i5+gtx 780 - Page 7

post #61 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SsXxX View Post

please look at the link friend, "as per the link i provided this power supply is a 1275w one, and when it was idle and drawing around 10-12w which around 1% or less, its efficiency was 80%, please check the table on the link again."

do u have an explanation for the statement above, beside have u ever heard of intel c1,c2,c3 . . . c5 states? those are low power states that intel introduced in its cpus a long time ago and most of intel cpus does unless u cancel it from the bios, its intention is to reduce power consumption so its a LOW POWER STATE, now with haswell intel took those states to the extreme with c6 and c7 states which reduces the power consumption to less than 1w, now if the low power consumption damages the psu, there got to be a hell a lot of psu rma around the world specially those who use haswell cpu's

here is a article about the c6 and c7 state in haswell:

http://www.thermaltake.com/content.aspx?id=3751




and here is the very long list of compatible psu's:

http://techreport.com/review/24897/the-big-haswell-psu-compatibility-list


again, what about sleep and hibernate state <<< THOSE ARE LOW POWER STATES MEANT TO REDUCE POWER CONSUMPTION

if what u said is true, then sleep and hibernate will not be good too

Aesthethc : ". . .But shilka is right though, if you go below 20% its efficiency is nowhere near effective anymore. "

i keep reading what Aesthethc said above and i get really mad, I JUST SHOWED YOU THE PROOF GUYS IN THE LINK I PROVIDED, USAGE WAS LES THAN 1% AND EFFICIENCY WAS ABOVE 80%, FOR GODS SAKE LOOK AT THE NUMBERS !!!

so now Mr. Aesthethc and Mr. Shilka after the link i provided and all the logic i have tried to explain, do u still think that efficiency will drop like a rock when usage is below 20%

Why are you even talking about Haswell? OP is concerned about his i5-3570k which is IVY BRIDGE, you are going completely off topic now! Now you are just arguing on this thread to prove your lack of knowledge of PSU's. Me and Shilka are just trying to help OP out pick a good PSU.

You cannot even bring up Haswell because this thread isnt even ABOUT haswell its about IVY BRIDGE. And yes i am completely aware of low power states but you assume that every Haswell CPU is completely the same. There are Haswell CPU's that consume way less power and Haswell CPU's that consume a lot more. And you keep mentioning that at 1% load your efficiency was 80%. Thats horrible !

And yes i saw the link. I never said that efficiency dropped like a "rock". I said that Shilka was right that when you fall under a certain minimum load your efficiency is lower. But that PSU is rated at 90% efficiency. Why would you buy a 90% efficient PSU and put a load so little that it runs 10% LOWER than what you paid for. That seems kinda counterintuitive. Why dont you just buy a high quality PSU and run it well within its rated range so you can get the most efficiency?

So what you are saying is; you KNOW that the PSU is too big; and you KNOW that at low load it can drop your efficiency by 10% (which is the difference between buying a bronze or gold/platinum unit) and that you are simply telling OP to waste his money on an high wattage/high rated PSU and have it run at low load which will lead to LOWER efficiency....

That isnt right........ Youre supposed to be suggesting a PSU that will operate at the efficiency he is PAYING for; so he doesnt waste his money on unused wattage and get the MOST efficiency out of his unit. Over time; especially if you are paying for your own electrical bills will accumulate. It may be a difference of 50-100 dollars a year which could be a brand new SSD upgrade or something!
post #62 of 69
Aesthethc: " . . . Now you are just arguing on this thread to prove your lack of knowledge of PSU's."

excuse me sir, but have any body asked you to describe what im doing and give an opinion on it?! rolleyes.gif


anyway please get my point, im not arguing that he must buy a 1500w psu, i agree that a 600-650w will be enough and i just said my own personal opinion which was" if i were u i will buy a 700w psu . . ." <<< that was what i would do but its not 100% correct neither 100% efficient solution neither do he have to do what i would do >>> then u guys started to argue about how useless is more watts and how it could be no good and how it could cause harm >>> all i was saying is that while i agree with you guys that more watts are useless but I WAS TRYING TO PROVE THAT MORE WATTS NEVER HARM EVEN IF IT DONT BENEFIT, even if he uses a 1500w; yes it will be of no benefit but it will NEVER HURT; thats it thats my point, thats why i used haswell as an example, im not trying to off topic. tongue.gif

anyway, i still cant understand why are u attacking me personally by implying "my lack of knowledge", i really dont know what have i said that have bothered u that much, and im really sorry if i did, and im not doing sarcasm here, i really mean it, im sorry if i bothered anyone, after all we are all discussing our knowledge so that every body benefits, no body can be 100% sure he is correct, and yes i could be mistaken, good for me :thumb:i learned something new, maybe your mistaken, good for u, u learned something new thumb.gif, plz dont take personally, i really hope this clears my point as this will be my last post in this thread.

thanks
Fusion
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5930k @ 4.4GHz v1.282 Rampage V Extreme Gigabyte GTX 1080TI Aorus Xtreme Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 2800MHz C16 v1.20 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel Solid-State Drive 750 Series 1.2TB Intel Solid-State Drive 750 Series 400GB Corsair H115i Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung Plasma TV PS60F5000 60inch Cherry MX board 6.0 Corsair AX1500i Corsair Obsidian 650D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Corsair M65 Pro Corsair MM400 Asus Strix RAID DLX Edifier S730 2.1 
OtherOtherOtherOther
Xbox One Elite Controller Thrustmaster T500RS Thrustmaster TH8RS Steam Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
Fusion
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5930k @ 4.4GHz v1.282 Rampage V Extreme Gigabyte GTX 1080TI Aorus Xtreme Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 2800MHz C16 v1.20 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel Solid-State Drive 750 Series 1.2TB Intel Solid-State Drive 750 Series 400GB Corsair H115i Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung Plasma TV PS60F5000 60inch Cherry MX board 6.0 Corsair AX1500i Corsair Obsidian 650D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Corsair M65 Pro Corsair MM400 Asus Strix RAID DLX Edifier S730 2.1 
OtherOtherOtherOther
Xbox One Elite Controller Thrustmaster T500RS Thrustmaster TH8RS Steam Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #63 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SsXxX View Post

Aesthethc: " . . . Now you are just arguing on this thread to prove your lack of knowledge of PSU's."

excuse me sir, but have any body asked you to describe what im doing and give an opinion on it?! rolleyes.gif


anyway please get my point, im not arguing that he must buy a 1500w psu, i agree that a 600-650w will be enough and i just said my own personal opinion which was" if i were u i will buy a 700w psu . . ." <<< that was what i would do but its not 100% correct neither 100% efficient solution neither do he have to do what i would do >>> then u guys started to argue about how useless is more watts and how it could be no good and how it could cause harm >>> all i was saying is that while i agree with you guys that more watts are useless but I WAS TRYING TO PROVE THAT MORE WATTS NEVER HARM EVEN IF IT DONT BENEFIT, even if he uses a 1500w; yes it will be of no benefit but it will NEVER HURT; thats it thats my point, thats why i used haswell as an example, im not trying to off topic. tongue.gif

anyway, i still cant understand why are u attacking me personally by implying "my lack of knowledge", i really dont know what have i said that have bothered u that much, and im really sorry if i did, and im not doing sarcasm here, i really mean it, im sorry if i bothered anyone, after all we are all discussing our knowledge so that every body benefits, no body can be 100% sure he is correct, and yes i could be mistaken, good for me :thumb:i learned something new, maybe your mistaken, good for u, u learned something new thumb.gif, plz dont take personally, i really hope this clears my point as this will be my last post in this thread.

thanks

It will hurt. Your efficiency wont be anywhere near what you paid for. If you have too much wattage and too little power draw you will in turn have lower effiency, which leads to computer drawing more power and thus you having to pay more than you normally would if you only bought a power supply that fit your NEEDS, and not anything overkill like "1500W" .

You give an example of a Platinum PSU that is able to handle good efficiency at low load; but i linked you a BRONZE PSU that drops to 65% efficiency as the same load that was tested on the Platinum PSU that reported 80% efficiency. Do you see the difference here? Not all PSU's are the same; a higher quality PSU will be able to keep its efficiency at lower loads but a LOWER quality PSU may not.

You are simply assuming "all PSU"s are the same" based on that one article you linked. It proves nothing. It just proves that a good quality PSU doesnt perform AS BAD as a lower quality Bronze PSU at low loads on high wattages
Edited by Aesthethc - 10/22/13 at 1:14am
post #64 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthethc View Post

It will hurt. Your efficiency wont be anywhere near what you paid for. If you have too much wattage and too little power draw you will in turn have lower effiency, which leads to computer drawing more power and thus you having to pay more than you normally would if you only bought a power supply that fit your NEEDS, and not anything overkill like "1500W" .

You give an example of a Platinum PSU that is able to handle good efficiency at low load; but i linked you a BRONZE PSU that drops to 65% efficiency as the same load that was tested on the Platinum PSU that reported 80% efficiency. Do you see the difference here? Not all PSU's are the same; a higher quality PSU will be able to keep its efficiency at lower loads but a LOWER quality PSU may not.

You are simply assuming "all PSU"s are the same" based on that one article you linked. It proves nothing. It just proves that a good quality PSU doesnt perform AS BAD as a lower quality Bronze PSU at low loads on high wattages

He's speaking about performance loss, not financial
The Snow White
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8120 msi 990fxa-gd65 Gigabyte R9 290 Kingston HyperX KHX1600C10D3L/4G 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston 120Gb SSD Toshiba DT01ACA300 LG DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model GH24NS50 DeepCool Maelstrom 240T 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H90 Windows 10 Pro LG 29MA73D-PZ A4Tech KD-600 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master V700 Fractal Design Define R4 Asus Cerberus Arctic Kingston HyperX Skyn Control Surface 
AudioOtherOther
Creative Sound Blaster Tactic3D Rage 4-channel fan speed controller NZXT Kraken G10 
  hide details  
Reply
The Snow White
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8120 msi 990fxa-gd65 Gigabyte R9 290 Kingston HyperX KHX1600C10D3L/4G 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston 120Gb SSD Toshiba DT01ACA300 LG DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model GH24NS50 DeepCool Maelstrom 240T 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H90 Windows 10 Pro LG 29MA73D-PZ A4Tech KD-600 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master V700 Fractal Design Define R4 Asus Cerberus Arctic Kingston HyperX Skyn Control Surface 
AudioOtherOther
Creative Sound Blaster Tactic3D Rage 4-channel fan speed controller NZXT Kraken G10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #65 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthethc View Post

Yes 550W should do it, 500W is fine as well. But thats why you dont make that mistake; and you make a list of every component you have (its not hard -- its like planning a computer rig it doesnt even take more than 10 minutes to sit down and list out your components and adding up the wattages). Its like you are telling me "i cant sit here and list out the wattages for my components so im just going to buy my laziness off"

And heres another example of a PSU that will DROP its efficiency when it is under a certain minimum load

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=249

SsXxX linked to a Platinum PSU, that operates well within its efficiency - 10% lower than what its rated for such a LOW load. This is because the PSU is a high quality unity. Now lets compare it to this other PSU, the Thermaltake Toughpower TP-1350M. When it falls lower than its minimum load requirement (AS ALL PSU's ARE DIFFERENT), look at that womping 65.9% EFFICIENCY ! So clearly SsXxx and his example of his Platinum PSU was a completely arbitrary example because most people cannot afford platinum PSU's; most people will have a bronze maybe a gold system in their computer rig; very seldom can afford a Platinum PSU. And when they run it at a low load; they wont be getting as good efficiency as they would like the Platinum PSU that SsXxx recommended. They'll be getting a lot less.

That Thermaltake unit is 85% rated efficient, but at lower than usual power load; it can drop to 65% ! Are you telling me that is not a lot??? Not all PSU's are Platinum PSU's that can hold its efficiency even at very low load consumption.

i know i said that last post of mine is gonna be the last in this thread but i just saw this post now, true that not every body buys platinum psu's, but well, here in dubai, psu's are dirt cheap, and i mean it, they are DIRT CHEA, we havnt heard of anything called gold or bronze psu, i know they are there, but we just dont have them here, platinum is the min standard here in dubai and i said its dirt cheap, i got my thermaltake thoughpower xt 1275w for around 189 dollers, maybe because we dont have taxes and shipping from Taiwan is cheap to dubai.

so yes, when you said that i have made " . . .completely arbitrary example because most people cannot afford platinum PSU's; most people will have a bronze maybe a gold system in their computer rig"

your are completely right, indeed i did give and arbitrary example, because thats the situation over hear in dubai, platinum psu's are dirt cheap

so yes i admit when i make mistakes, and i tend to adapt and learn, im an open minded guy, i just dont argue clueless like some may think tongue.gif
Fusion
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5930k @ 4.4GHz v1.282 Rampage V Extreme Gigabyte GTX 1080TI Aorus Xtreme Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 2800MHz C16 v1.20 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel Solid-State Drive 750 Series 1.2TB Intel Solid-State Drive 750 Series 400GB Corsair H115i Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung Plasma TV PS60F5000 60inch Cherry MX board 6.0 Corsair AX1500i Corsair Obsidian 650D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Corsair M65 Pro Corsair MM400 Asus Strix RAID DLX Edifier S730 2.1 
OtherOtherOtherOther
Xbox One Elite Controller Thrustmaster T500RS Thrustmaster TH8RS Steam Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
Fusion
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5930k @ 4.4GHz v1.282 Rampage V Extreme Gigabyte GTX 1080TI Aorus Xtreme Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 2800MHz C16 v1.20 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel Solid-State Drive 750 Series 1.2TB Intel Solid-State Drive 750 Series 400GB Corsair H115i Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung Plasma TV PS60F5000 60inch Cherry MX board 6.0 Corsair AX1500i Corsair Obsidian 650D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Corsair M65 Pro Corsair MM400 Asus Strix RAID DLX Edifier S730 2.1 
OtherOtherOtherOther
Xbox One Elite Controller Thrustmaster T500RS Thrustmaster TH8RS Steam Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #66 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SsXxX View Post

i know i said that last post of mine is gonna be the last in this thread but i just saw this post now, true that not every body buys platinum psu's, but well, here in dubai, psu's are dirt cheap, and i mean it, they are DIRT CHEA, we havnt heard of anything called gold or bronze psu, i know they are there, but we just dont have them here, platinum is the min standard here in dubai and i said its dirt cheap, i got my thermaltake thoughpower xt 1275w for around 189 dollers, maybe because we dont have taxes and shipping from Taiwan is cheap to dubai.

so yes, when you said that i have made " . . .completely arbitrary example because most people cannot afford platinum PSU's; most people will have a bronze maybe a gold system in their computer rig"

your are completely right, indeed i did give and arbitrary example, because thats the situation over hear in dubai, platinum psu's are dirt cheap

so yes i admit when i make mistakes, and i tend to adapt and learn, im an open minded guy, i just dont argue clueless like some may think tongue.gif

OP is from Orange County, CA. Which is two hours away from where i live. In the USA. Here Platinum PSU's cost more than Bronze PSU's. How can you even keep telling OP that "Oh platinum PSU's are dirt cheap, theyre dirt cheap....." when OP DOESNT EVEN LIVE IN DUBAI, HE LIVES IN THE USA.

The fact that "you" have never heard of gold or bronze PSU's is only applicable to YOU not the OP. We need to educate the OP about bronze PSU's and their efficiencies as well as Platinum PSU's. But just because you've never heard of Bronze or Gold doesnt mean you can ignore it; because here in the USA the price difference between Platinum and Bronze can be twice the price at the same wattage.
post #67 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthethc View Post

OP is from Orange County, CA. Which is two hours away from where i live. In the USA. Here Platinum PSU's cost more than Bronze PSU's. How can you even keep telling OP that "Oh platinum PSU's are dirt cheap, theyre dirt cheap....." when OP DOESNT EVEN LIVE IN DUBAI, HE LIVES IN THE USA.

The fact that "you" have never heard of gold or bronze PSU's is only applicable to YOU not the OP. We need to educate the OP about bronze PSU's and their efficiencies as well as Platinum PSU's. But just because you've never heard of Bronze or Gold doesnt mean you can ignore it; because here in the USA the price difference between Platinum and Bronze can be twice the price at the same wattage.

okay okaaay man, chill out, i got it, i admitted i was mistaken, i have never been to usa and i did not know its so different there, IM SORRY, can u please stop attacking me PERSONALLY BECAUSE I HATE IT !! mad.gif

i dont know why are u taking it so serious, take it easy bro wink.gif
Fusion
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5930k @ 4.4GHz v1.282 Rampage V Extreme Gigabyte GTX 1080TI Aorus Xtreme Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 2800MHz C16 v1.20 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel Solid-State Drive 750 Series 1.2TB Intel Solid-State Drive 750 Series 400GB Corsair H115i Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung Plasma TV PS60F5000 60inch Cherry MX board 6.0 Corsair AX1500i Corsair Obsidian 650D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Corsair M65 Pro Corsair MM400 Asus Strix RAID DLX Edifier S730 2.1 
OtherOtherOtherOther
Xbox One Elite Controller Thrustmaster T500RS Thrustmaster TH8RS Steam Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
Fusion
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5930k @ 4.4GHz v1.282 Rampage V Extreme Gigabyte GTX 1080TI Aorus Xtreme Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 2800MHz C16 v1.20 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel Solid-State Drive 750 Series 1.2TB Intel Solid-State Drive 750 Series 400GB Corsair H115i Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung Plasma TV PS60F5000 60inch Cherry MX board 6.0 Corsair AX1500i Corsair Obsidian 650D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Corsair M65 Pro Corsair MM400 Asus Strix RAID DLX Edifier S730 2.1 
OtherOtherOtherOther
Xbox One Elite Controller Thrustmaster T500RS Thrustmaster TH8RS Steam Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #68 of 69
I think ive said enough here. Another guy with the same exact rig even posted that 500W is enough earlier in this thread; and you guys are still trying to push that your recommendation of a 650W PSU is a good recommendation or anything more than 500W is "good" even if someone is already running the SAME rig with 500W.

Im pretty much done here lol.
post #69 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVIELIS View Post

So? On a whole scale, putting PSU's rating (bronze, silver, gold, platinum) and their effectiveness in mind, PSU's wattage difference between bronze and platinum would be max around 70W. And I don't think this guy will get even 700W PSU as 500W is enough, while having rough 100W as headroom.

I've had it with this thread, so this will be my last post here.
Let's remember why are we here:
_______________________________________________________________________
Dear @tweaker123, in my opinion, I suggest you to take something between 600W Bronze rated PSU and 500W Platinum rated PSU.
In this case you'll have plenty of power to run your rig and have some room for improvements, while having a good efficiency.

Thank you and have a good day thumb.gif

Efficiency rating doesn't tell how good your psu is. We cannot generalize how good a PSU is because it is case to case basis. Some bronze rated PSUs can outperform gold/platinum rated PSUs in terms of voltage regulation and ripple suppression.

And there's no PSU wattage difference between bronze and platinum rated PSUs. < Common misconception.


The only thing efficiency rating tell us is how efficient it is on converting AC to DC.

bronze psu 87% efficienct will pull ~575w from the wall to deliver 500w to the rig.

gold psu 90% efficient will pull ~555w from the wall to deliver 500w to the rig.


Thread Starter, get g550.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Power Supplies
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › How much juice do i need for my rig? i5+gtx 780