Overclock.net banner

DFI infinity 975X results :D

971 views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Norz 
#1 ·
so wait im confused... bios says 3.73ghz but windows and cpu-z both say 1.86ghz. this is not good... anyone have an idea whats going on here?
how can i overclock if the settings dont stay that way?

#2 ·
Have the latest BIOS?

3.73ghz? Weird. But if CPU-Z reports a 1.86ghz and Windows, then the correct speed is 1.86ghz.

I'd say start overclocking and don't worry about everything else but CPU-Z, at least CPU-Z is accurate when it comes to clock speeds.

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by fade2green514 View Post
so wait im confused... bios says 3.73ghz but windows and cpu-z both say 1.86ghz. this is not good... anyone have an idea whats going on here?
how can i overclock if the settings dont stay that way?
If you have 3,7ghz on that 975x it must be superpimp/vmodded because its over 530fsb. And thats very rare any fsb over 500fsb on a 975x chipset.
And its not even overclocked you say?!

You got any pics? would be nice to see whats wrong.

Try updating youre bios,or just clear youre current bios.

#4 ·
The 11/15/06 BIOS are the best to be using on the DFI. As of now about 430 is the FSB prime stable wall on my particular board with out putting significant work to make it play nice. I've pulled up some near 4Ghz pi runs at 340FSB and it seems stable enough to go at least another 5... maybe another 10FSB if my chip lets me go that high.

#5 ·
well, i got it to overclock for me, problem is it wont go near any clock that i want it to. if i could at least hit the 1ghz mark id be happy... problem is it wont do it for me. all my temps are in check and i overvolted the northbridge some, but its still unstable... it couldnt be my ram since im running it at ddr-2 400 divider at 6-6-6-15 timings. i just updated the bios and it did look different but my overclock is the same. any other suggestions?

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeking78
View Post

You need to do something with those timings.......its hurting my eyes to look at them

cpu speed before memory speed, sorry im going to find my cpu's max before i change them... of course it looks like my DS3 is going to o/c better and it only runs 2.66ghz or so stable...

AMD boards overclock so much better its not even funny. seriously, you just run a divider on the memory, lower multi on the htt and up the fsb... everything runs at default clocks except for the cpu and maybe the memory.... but no intel boards force me to overclock the fsb ughh... you know what i mean...

#8 ·
It's really more the chip you bought... the 7x multi is a PITA.

The E6600 is 9x and very very easy to get a 1.0GHz OC from.

However go ahead, give the chipset 1.75v and make sure the NB heatsink gets some airflow. You'll see more FSb out of her. Also, use the 1:1 ram ratio... it's the easiest on the NB.

#9 ·
no, see the problem isnt the cpu... if i dont care about how fast that runs at this point, my point is hitting a decent fsb... like 430 the way you did. i can't even get it to hit 340 stable. this is bs, second motherboard ive gone through, second bad suggestion ive gotten from people online...

i really ought to just go ahead and buy a server motherboard, one thats been tested extremely stable... and therefore overclockable, like the opterons.

maybe ill try reapplying the northbridge heatsink first. im really surprised at how poor of a board this is. VERY poor.

#10 ·
Whoa whoa whoa. This board isn't exactly a peach to work with until you learn its quirks. I don't have a 430 Stable FSB. I have a 425 stable FSB and it took a lot of effort to get there stably. It's become very apparent to me that these boards a a lot different from the other intel chipset boards because they won't max boot as high as the others but hang with the pack just fine at max primable FSB.

I have active cooling on my NB with only 42C load temps. I found that my board likes the cas4 setting way more than 5 and that's all fine with me. 4-4-4-12 at 846Mhz is better than TCCD at 3-4-4-10 at DDR600 by a long shot. WHat divider are you using? 400? 1:1 is the best as far as high FSB goes. What people doesn't seem to understand about OCing memory is that you don't think of things as 'looser or tighter' there is only 'what the rigs wants and what the rig doesn't want'.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatethedukes View Post
Whoa whoa whoa. This board isn't exactly a peach to work with until you learn its quirks. I don't have a 430 Stable FSB. I have a 425 stable FSB and it took a lot of effort to get there stably. It's become very apparent to me that these boards a a lot different from the other intel chipset boards because they won't max boot as high as the others but hang with the pack just fine at max primable FSB.

I have active cooling on my NB with only 42C load temps. I found that my board likes the cas4 setting way more than 5 and that's all fine with me. 4-4-4-12 at 846Mhz is better than TCCD at 3-4-4-10 at DDR600 by a long shot. WHat divider are you using? 400? 1:1 is the best as far as high FSB goes. What people doesn't seem to understand about OCing memory is that you don't think of things as 'looser or tighter' there is only 'what the rigs wants and what the rig doesn't want'.
yea, i tried 400 and 533(like you suggested)
i disabled everything that im not using, but left things disabled if i didnt know what they were.
im running 2.28ghz right now... fsb 325.
i also reapplied the AS5 to the nb cooler, running 2C cooler according to my bios. it passes prime95 perfectly, but it wont boot at all at 330fsb. ISNT THERE ANYWAY TO RUN A LOWER FSB MULTIPLIER?
maybe if i tried your exact motherboard settings i could get it to work... anyway you can get me this info?

thanks -pz
btw ill try cas latency of 4... duno if it'll help though :/

#13 ·
yea i hit my wall at about 327 fsb. duno why. maybe ill try a few of those settings like the 3x strength and what not... dont know if it will help, but hopefully.

thing is, ive tried 328 at stock volts and all the way overvolted... sometimes it boots sometimes it doesnt, even with stock volts it'll boot, sometimes it wont all the way overvolted... i really just need to figure this stuff out...

#14 ·
Oh yes, I KNOW what you're talking about. The warm boot problem. It kind of cured itself I just took some time and burn in. It still has that issue about FSB 430. If I use software to change the FSB within windows I can pi quite a bit higher than it'll boot at.

You might want to try that just to prove to yourself it just needs work... not a crap board. Get some decent OC software and push up your FSb from in windows slowly priming all the way.

I'm currently working on a 3.6Ghz + ddr1000, 4-5-5-15(which will be tightened as the prime passes)

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatethedukes View Post
Oh yes, I KNOW what you're talking about. The warm boot problem. It kind of cured itself I just took some time and burn in. It still has that issue about FSB 430. If I use software to change the FSB within windows I can pi quite a bit higher than it'll boot at.

You might want to try that just to prove to yourself it just needs work... not a crap board. Get some decent OC software and push up your FSb from in windows slowly priming all the way.

I'm currently working on a 3.6Ghz + ddr1000, 4-5-5-15(which will be tightened as the prime passes)
lol well, i figured out what the problem was... finally...
twas a disagreement between my memory and motherboard.... either my memory or my motherboard wouldnt run a ddr2-400 or a ddr2-533 divider, so i was stuck with my memory's default ddr2-667... which is running it above fsb. problem with that is, then it needs extra voltage and such... which i can afford to give it, but that still leaves me hanging. btw THANKS for your bios settings, those strengths at x3 and the 15.6 setting or w/e allowed be about +25 fsb, then the voltage on my memory allowed me to go further... if i tried to use a divider or loosen the timings it would give me a big long beep and id have to clear the cmos... o well, running at about 2.45ghz for now... which im happy with... ill probably end up replacing this memory for some XMS or something that'll run extremely high frequencies... btw, im running my northbridge at default voltage, so thats why it had nothing to do with it...

thanks again for your help

im probably 50-100mhz away from the 1ghz club! just need some new memory!

#16 ·
You want to lower youre multiplier all the way,im not sure can you set x6?
If you do that you can overclock youre ram safely with youre cpu way out of its limit,its safe and should be done to find out what youre ram can do.

If the ram is limiting you,you should find out,its no use overclocking if you do not know what speed youre ram can run at.

So first lower the multiplier to see what youre ram is capable of,then set youre multiplier to 9 again and use witch cpu/ram ratio that suits you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.