Overclock.net › Forums › General Hardware › General Processor Discussions › CPU replacement to comfortably house high end SLI / XFIRE
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CPU replacement to comfortably house high end SLI / XFIRE

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Well im starting to cry a little to myself about my system which is beginning to show its age.

as you can see i have a 1090T clocked between 3.8-4ghz (depending on where i end up tweaking it at the time *shrug*)

So my question is... AMD or intel?

is AMD's piledriver good enough to house say... 2 780s or 2 r2 970x (hard to say before many have their hands on them i know, but in theory)
what kind of overclock would i need to achieve to avoid a bottle neck?

If i were to upgrade to this it would be slightly easier than intel but close to the same cost (i think)
I could be able to swap out the CPU without touching the mobo just yet. i would also be able to upgrade the GPU next, afterwards would come a new mobo+gpu (if i find it nesissary, i wish to play at 120hz max eye candy eventualy)

with intel i would obviously need to upgrade the cpu and mobo at the same time


If you were in my shoes, what route would you take?
post #2 of 9
Do you use your computer mainly for just gaming?
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffsportsman View Post

Do you use your computer mainly for just gaming?
the high stress calculations part of it yes.

I also use my computer for drawing, not extreme high end photoshop stuff though. This one seems to handle that aspect just fine so i would have to say that the only thing the hardware will be utilized for is gaming, yes tongue.gif
post #4 of 9
I'd feel more comfortable with waiting for someone else to chime in with some graphs or some sort of proof, but I'm thinking your best bet if you're looking to not blow a ton of money is to either go with a Z77 board and an i5-3570k or a Z87 board with an i5-4670k. From what I've seen, the cheaper Ivy solution (3570k) has a better chance of being able to OC to 4.5+ with little voltage tweak and heat issues. Judging by other threads I've seen, the new Haswell CPUs are more hit and miss with OC abilities, and are also more expensive for the board/CPU (but also has the option of upgrading to the next Intel CPU line with no mobo change).

I know a 3570k could handle 7970 xfire with no issues, I really don't have much of an idea about the improvements of the new AMD and nVidia cards over those though.
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffsportsman View Post

I'd feel more comfortable with waiting for someone else to chime in with some graphs or some sort of proof, but I'm thinking your best bet if you're looking to not blow a ton of money is to either go with a Z77 board and an i5-3570k or a Z87 board with an i5-4670k. From what I've seen, the cheaper Ivy solution (3570k) has a better chance of being able to OC to 4.5+ with little voltage tweak and heat issues. Judging by other threads I've seen, the new Haswell CPUs are more hit and miss with OC abilities, and are also more expensive for the board/CPU (but also has the option of upgrading to the next Intel CPU line with no mobo change).

I know a 3570k could handle 7970 xfire with no issues, I really don't have much of an idea about the improvements of the new AMD and nVidia cards over those though.

I kinda assume that they could handle 2 titans oced if thrown at it. I think it's have held their own even since sandy. Heck I still see people rock in the old first gen i7s with some harping that it's still more than they'll need for the next 5 years blah blah.

I'm curious though. You mention this is the cheaper route. I'm just wondering why.
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFox View Post

Well im starting to cry a little to myself about my system which is beginning to show its age.

as you can see i have a 1090T clocked between 3.8-4ghz (depending on where i end up tweaking it at the time *shrug*)

So my question is... AMD or intel?

is AMD's piledriver good enough to house say... 2 780s or 2 r2 970x (hard to say before many have their hands on them i know, but in theory)
what kind of overclock would i need to achieve to avoid a bottle neck?

If i were to upgrade to this it would be slightly easier than intel but close to the same cost (i think)
I could be able to swap out the CPU without touching the mobo just yet. i would also be able to upgrade the GPU next, afterwards would come a new mobo+gpu (if i find it nesissary, i wish to play at 120hz max eye candy eventualy)

with intel i would obviously need to upgrade the cpu and mobo at the same time


If you were in my shoes, what route would you take?

2600K,3770K,4930k
 
Thuban Powah!
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon X5650 Asus P6X58D-E Sapphire HD 7950 G.Skill Trident-X 2600 CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Samsung 840 pro Bong cooler / RASA waterblock Rosewill Capstone Gold 750 None 
MouseMouse PadAudio
cheap! Newegg box panel ibeats with onboard. 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1075T w/2 cores locked @ 4.2+ M4a89GTD-Pro XFX Radeon HD 5870 8gb Samsung ddr3 1600 11-11-11-28@ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility2 40gb WD Blue 500GB Lite-On RASA waterblock 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows & Linux Samsung 1080p 2 ms Dell Thermaltake TR2-800 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master Elite 330 (was) cheap 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Thuban Powah!
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon X5650 Asus P6X58D-E Sapphire HD 7950 G.Skill Trident-X 2600 CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Samsung 840 pro Bong cooler / RASA waterblock Rosewill Capstone Gold 750 None 
MouseMouse PadAudio
cheap! Newegg box panel ibeats with onboard. 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1075T w/2 cores locked @ 4.2+ M4a89GTD-Pro XFX Radeon HD 5870 8gb Samsung ddr3 1600 11-11-11-28@ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility2 40gb WD Blue 500GB Lite-On RASA waterblock 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows & Linux Samsung 1080p 2 ms Dell Thermaltake TR2-800 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master Elite 330 (was) cheap 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmuckley View Post

2600K,3770K,4930k
i appreciate your input basicly saying any i7 within the last 3 generations... but could you tell me why....
is the part you highlighted the only part you read? frown.gif
actualy thats kinda rude. ill let you have the chance to explain yourself.
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFox View Post

I'm curious though. You mention this is the cheaper route. I'm just wondering why.

I meant it's the cheaper route because it's older technology. The Ivy/Z77 prices aren't as much as the Haswell/Z87 prices, even if it is just a small differences in some instances.
post #9 of 9
An AMD 8320 or 8350 can handle 2 newer video cards just fine. You might get a few more FPS when moving to an i7 or an i5 but its not going to be a huge difference in gaming performance just based on the CPU. It is really going to come down to how much you have to spend and do you want to be able to upgrade the CPU in the future without having to get a new motherboard and possibly ram. I personally like AMD for the flat out bang for your buck aspect of their chips. However, with haswell being out now the 1155 socket CPUs and motherboards have dropped a bit in price.

You can spend $400-500 on just an AMD motherboard and a 8320 or around 500-600 for an i5 3570k and a nice intel motherboard(ASUS ROG or Sabertooth boards are some of the best out there). Intel has stated before that there wasn't going to be a new socket for their next CPU and I have yet to see them not change to a new socket with each new CPU generation. I may be wrong but they are no where near as future friendly as AMD boards are. You will be able to drop a Steamroller and possibly even an Excavator CPU, when they come out, into an AM3+ motherboard.

Your call here is basically how much money do you want to spend, and do you intend to do much more than gaming that will really tax your CPU. And I don't mean tax one or 2 cores really hard, I mean tax the entire CPU, all cores.

Now for GPUs...DO NOT BUY a R9 270X OR A R2 970X as you called it in your original post. That video card is basically a SLIGHTLY altered HD7870. IF you are going to get anything in the r9 series of cards get at least the R9 280X(slightly altered HD7970) if not just waiting and getting 1 R9 290x. 4GB video memory at least as fast as a 780, and apparently has mode that you can set the card too called UBER mode which will run it at around titan performance levels. And this is all from reviews with launch or beta drivers. Expect all the numbers these cards are showing in benches and game reviews to go up quite a bit over the next few months.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Processor Discussions
Overclock.net › Forums › General Hardware › General Processor Discussions › CPU replacement to comfortably house high end SLI / XFIRE