Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › Good case for 12+ 3.5" Drives OR MicroATX case (x2) for 6+ drives??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good case for 12+ 3.5" Drives OR MicroATX case (x2) for 6+ drives?? - Page 9

post #81 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyclum View Post

well the good thing is now that full towers are back on the table, you have alot more options to consider. the rosewell units are usually considered good value for the money. i don't care for their aesthetics so i'm willing to pay extra for silverstone, but if you are just building a NAS box, then it's gonna just sit in a corner somewhere anyway.

personally, i'd still suggest you make your tempest 210 into the NAS box by getting that 3x5.25 cage then you can get a box that is more flexible in usage. depending on what setup you have in the tempest 210 atm, you might just get a mATX case while making the tempest 210 into the NAS.

I'm probably going to use the Tempest to start off as I want to get it all configured this weekend anyway and I won't be able to get a case by tomorrow obviously (unless it's sold at MicroCenter as I have one 15 minutes away). However I would like the ability to go to 16 drives in the future (two 8-drive RAIDz2 zpools) so I'm thinking I will still be shopping for a bigger case. My VM server will be going into a MicroATX case though OR into the Tempest if I replace that.
post #82 of 97
Be smart and just drill a few holes (or ziptie 'em) for a 3x5.25" 5 3.5" drive holder into the tempest in front of the PSU if it isn't too long. End of discussion!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132035
Ayase Eli
(20 items)
 
Testbench
(10 items)
 
MC Server
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 ASRock X370 SLI Killer Zotac GTX1070 "FE" with ID Cooling Frostflow 240G Crucial BallistiX Sport LP 16GB 8x2GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Zotac SSD Premium 480GB OCZ Vector 180 480GB Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 7200rpm ID Cooling Frostflow 240L 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
ID Cooling Frostflow 240G Phanteks F140MP x2 CoolerMaster Silencio FP120 x2 Phanteks F140SP 
CoolingMonitorKeyboardPower
Delta AFB1212SH x2 Dell U2713HM CM Storm MECH FSP Aurum PT 1200 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech G102 Tesoro Aegis X3 Virtus.Pro AKG K7XX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 Depends Depends 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
Plextor M5S Depends Dell U2312HM CM Storm Quickfire Rapid-i 
PowerMouse
FSP Aurum PT 1200 CM Storm Mizar 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600 4GHz Gigabyte Z77X D3H Intel HD Graphics 2000 obviously Kingston HyperX Genesis 4X4GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Intel 530 240GB Deepcool Captain 240 Arctic Cooling Bionix 140 Delta AFB1212L 
OSPowerCase
Windows 10 Pro CoolerMaster G750M NZXT Switch 810 
  hide details  
Reply
Ayase Eli
(20 items)
 
Testbench
(10 items)
 
MC Server
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 ASRock X370 SLI Killer Zotac GTX1070 "FE" with ID Cooling Frostflow 240G Crucial BallistiX Sport LP 16GB 8x2GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Zotac SSD Premium 480GB OCZ Vector 180 480GB Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 7200rpm ID Cooling Frostflow 240L 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
ID Cooling Frostflow 240G Phanteks F140MP x2 CoolerMaster Silencio FP120 x2 Phanteks F140SP 
CoolingMonitorKeyboardPower
Delta AFB1212SH x2 Dell U2713HM CM Storm MECH FSP Aurum PT 1200 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech G102 Tesoro Aegis X3 Virtus.Pro AKG K7XX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 Depends Depends 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
Plextor M5S Depends Dell U2312HM CM Storm Quickfire Rapid-i 
PowerMouse
FSP Aurum PT 1200 CM Storm Mizar 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600 4GHz Gigabyte Z77X D3H Intel HD Graphics 2000 obviously Kingston HyperX Genesis 4X4GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Intel 530 240GB Deepcool Captain 240 Arctic Cooling Bionix 140 Delta AFB1212L 
OSPowerCase
Windows 10 Pro CoolerMaster G750M NZXT Switch 810 
  hide details  
Reply
post #83 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffinMyLye View Post

I'm probably going to use the Tempest to start off as I want to get it all configured this weekend anyway and I won't be able to get a case by tomorrow obviously (unless it's sold at MicroCenter as I have one 15 minutes away). However I would like the ability to go to 16 drives in the future (two 8-drive RAIDz2 zpools) so I'm thinking I will still be shopping for a bigger case. My VM server will be going into a MicroATX case though OR into the Tempest if I replace that.

you are REALLY narrowing down your choices with a 16 drive requirement... most cases cap out at 15 drives in the end game configuration. even with 3x5.25 cages it's kinda tough to reach 16 you'd need 9x5.25 bays to even have enough physical space to fit 15 HDD's. and you are looking for 16 instead... sounds to me you got some double sided tape or drilling to do to achieve that 16th drive requirement biggrin.gif

just curious, *** do you need ALL that space for? biggrin.gif maybe you should look into some 4TB drives instead and just cut down on your array biggrin.gif with your VM server you can practically host you own LAN party biggrin.gif (if remoteFX was better anyway tongue.gif )
post #84 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLT View Post

Be smart and just drill a few holes (or ziptie 'em) for a 3x5.25" 5 3.5" drive holder into the tempest in front of the PSU if it isn't too long. End of discussion!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132035

Definitely not enough room once you take into account how far the drives stick out of the front 3.5" bays + power and SATA cables. Not a bad idea though I'll consider that with future cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyclum View Post

you are REALLY narrowing down your choices with a 16 drive requirement... most cases cap out at 15 drives in the end game configuration. even with 3x5.25 cages it's kinda tough to reach 16 you'd need 9x5.25 bays to even have enough physical space to fit 15 HDD's. and you are looking for 16 instead... sounds to me you got some double sided tape or drilling to do to achieve that 16th drive requirement biggrin.gif

just curious, *** do you need ALL that space for? biggrin.gif maybe you should look into some 4TB drives instead and just cut down on your array biggrin.gif with your VM server you can practically host you own LAN party biggrin.gif (if remoteFX was better anyway tongue.gif )

Trust me I know I'm narrowing down my choices which is why I'm not just jumping at every single case I see that I like. I'm looking to find the one that will perfectly fit my setup.

I already have 10x3TB WD Reds in my possession so switching to 4TB drives really isn't an option. Besides I don't fully trust 4TB drives yet. As for what I need this space for, it's for a few difference uses. This weekend I'll be setting up my first 8-drive RAIDz2 zpool (which will give me 18TB of usable space). I will immediately be dumping 4TB of media (which will grow immensely over the next few years) on that array and will start setting up datastores for PC image backups and VM snapshots. The point of this array is to future proof me for the next 5 years.

The idea of having a second 8-drive zpool is to be used as a local backup for the first. Right now I have 4TB of local backup space through a 2-drive Asustor NAS but obviously that will not be sufficient going forward. I'd obviously prefer the backup to be on a separate physical host but off course that requires building an entire second server which means $$$$$$.

EDIT: The more I think about it though I'm thinking maybe two 6-drive RAIDz2 zpools would suffice. That's still 12TB of usuable space which should hold me over for a while.
Edited by PuffinMyLye - 10/25/13 at 11:14am
post #85 of 97
Don't know if you're still considering rack mounted chassis' (vertical standing that is ) still but saw this on Newegg's Frankenstein Friday deals page.

Rosewill RSV-L4411

$170 with the promo code, I wont be using it so if you decide on this I can PM the code and there's a 5% off for 24 hours as well for entire order.

12 x 3.5" hot swaps to begin with. Looks deep enough to throw in a good amount of HDD racks for more down the road especially with the micro board.
Kaga (WIP)
(22 items)
 
   
GraphicsRAMMonitorPower
1080Ti x2 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666 (64GB Total) Acer Predator X34P or Equivalent Seasonic Snow Silent - 1050w 
OtherOtherOther
Custom Acrylic Engraving Straight 8 Pin cables + Cable Combs 3x EK-Vardar F2, 2x Replacement Front 140mm 
  hide details  
Reply
Kaga (WIP)
(22 items)
 
   
GraphicsRAMMonitorPower
1080Ti x2 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666 (64GB Total) Acer Predator X34P or Equivalent Seasonic Snow Silent - 1050w 
OtherOtherOther
Custom Acrylic Engraving Straight 8 Pin cables + Cable Combs 3x EK-Vardar F2, 2x Replacement Front 140mm 
  hide details  
Reply
post #86 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azefore View Post

Don't know if you're still considering rack mounted chassis' (vertical standing that is ) still but saw this on Newegg's Frankenstein Friday deals page.

Rosewill RSV-L4411

$170 with the promo code, I wont be using it so if you decide on this I can PM the code and there's a 5% off for 24 hours as well for entire order.

12 x 3.5" hot swaps to begin with. Looks deep enough to throw in a good amount of HDD racks for more down the road especially with the micro board.

Man if that was like 3-4" less deep it could work. Very nice looking case. I'm gonna think on that I really appreciate the offer man thumb.gif.
Edited by PuffinMyLye - 10/25/13 at 11:51am
post #87 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffinMyLye View Post

Man if that was like 3-4" less deep it could work. Very nice looking case. I'm gonna think on that I really appreciate the offer man thumb.gif.

No problem thought it might be one of the closest ones to fitting the reqs and still be rack mountable. The locking door is also a nice touch.
Kaga (WIP)
(22 items)
 
   
GraphicsRAMMonitorPower
1080Ti x2 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666 (64GB Total) Acer Predator X34P or Equivalent Seasonic Snow Silent - 1050w 
OtherOtherOther
Custom Acrylic Engraving Straight 8 Pin cables + Cable Combs 3x EK-Vardar F2, 2x Replacement Front 140mm 
  hide details  
Reply
Kaga (WIP)
(22 items)
 
   
GraphicsRAMMonitorPower
1080Ti x2 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666 (64GB Total) Acer Predator X34P or Equivalent Seasonic Snow Silent - 1050w 
OtherOtherOther
Custom Acrylic Engraving Straight 8 Pin cables + Cable Combs 3x EK-Vardar F2, 2x Replacement Front 140mm 
  hide details  
Reply
post #88 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azefore View Post

Don't know if you're still considering rack mounted chassis' (vertical standing that is ) still but saw this on Newegg's Frankenstein Friday deals page.

Rosewill RSV-L4411

$170 with the promo code, I wont be using it so if you decide on this I can PM the code and there's a 5% off for 24 hours as well for entire order.

12 x 3.5" hot swaps to begin with. Looks deep enough to throw in a good amount of HDD racks for more down the road especially with the micro board.

the one i linked 3 pages back was 15 drives on the exact same chassis. they are all internal so it's gonna be a pain replacing a failed drive, but it's 3 drives more on the same case. (and it's only $99 because there is no hot swap cage) either way it's 25" deep so not applicable for his requirements.

then again... 3 pages ago, full towers weren't being considered either so... biggrin.gif maybe we can talk him into it in 3 more pages biggrin.gif


as far as capacity, future proofing for 5 years is a LOOOOOONG time in tech industry smile.gif 5 years ago = 2008 = introduction of 1.5 TB drives... and seagate has already announced 5TB drives for next year.... it's the primary reason i got out of the RAID game because the array i build is already useless in 2 or 3 years because a single drive of the same capacity came out biggrin.gif granted they were just simply 4 disk raid5 back when i was building them, but still the life cycle was simply too short for the price tag.

so yah. i'd recommend sticking to 6disk instead of bumping to 8disk because it simply becomes less cost effective building up that kind of array.
post #89 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyclum View Post

the one i linked 3 pages back was 15 drives on the exact same chassis. they are all internal so it's gonna be a pain replacing a failed drive, but it's 3 drives more on the same case. (and it's only $99 because there is no hot swap cage) either way it's 25" deep so not applicable for his requirements.

then again... 3 pages ago, full towers weren't being considered either so... biggrin.gif maybe we can talk him into it in 3 more pages biggrin.gif


as far as capacity, future proofing for 5 years is a LOOOOOONG time in tech industry smile.gif 5 years ago = 2008 = introduction of 1.5 TB drives... and seagate has already announced 5TB drives for next year.... it's the primary reason i got out of the RAID game because the array i build is already useless in 2 or 3 years because a single drive of the same capacity came out biggrin.gif granted they were just simply 4 disk raid5 back when i was building them, but still the life cycle was simply too short for the price tag.

so yah. i'd recommend sticking to 6disk instead of bumping to 8disk because it simply becomes less cost effective building up that kind of array.

I'm not really seeing how in 3-5 years a 12TB array will be out of date. I mean sure there will be larger sized disks coming out in the meantime but just because there is larger sized disks doesn't mean the data we store on them is all of a sudden skyrocketting in size. 12TB of data will still be 12TB of data in 3-5 years from now. Besides with a zpool you can upgrade the size of the array by upgrading all of the disks. So I could durng my 6x3TB drives into 6x5TB drives without losing any data or having to reconfigure things.

As for RAID5 arrays, yea those were outdated the moment 1TB+ disks were introduced. I'd never ever use single drive parity with the size of today's disks.

UPDATE: Just to update you guys on where my mind-state is (because yes this situation is fluid and I keep changing my mind tongue.gif) I'm leaning towards going with 2 Arc Mini's or Midi's instead of building this all out in one case. I'd obviously start with one case for my current build and then over the next few months as I get more money together to build out a second server I'd use a second physical box to backup the first.

Anyone know if there are any other differences between the Arc Mini vs. the R2 other than the ability to mount a 360 rad up top and a 240 rad up front? I obviously don't need those options and the Mini is $40 cheaper than the R2.

Also, since Micro ATX cases are now on the table (as long as they fit 6 drives) are they any good ones that allow for 120mm fan mounting on the left side of the hard drive cages (closest to the PSU/GPU area? I'd like to run sort of a push pull situation on each side of my hard drive cages.
Edited by PuffinMyLye - 10/25/13 at 3:28pm
post #90 of 97
The point being that an array can fail and you could lose every bit of data across all of the discs. Not using raid and going with larger discs can allow you to upgrade to an even larger capacity by simply loading previous data off of a disc onto the new one and replacing it into the system. I gave up on raid quite a while ago. For storage across a home lan it just wasn't logical to have all of my discs spinning all of the time. So now I wait half a second longer to access data while my blacks spin up. I even keep sensitive data and backups in a removable storage case that I access when needed and turn completely off when done. My electrical bill runs about $10-15 less per month now and over a years time that savings will buy me a new larger capacity drive to swap in.
Edited by Mercyflush64 - 10/25/13 at 3:57pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Cases
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › Good case for 12+ 3.5" Drives OR MicroATX case (x2) for 6+ drives??