Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club - Page 1785

post #17841 of 43911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widde View Post

I'm not putting so much weight on what ram I'm using, not going for bench records exactly ^^ But ye I get your point, they dont overclock well have tried. If I was to overclock my ram I'd rather get some dominator plats or TridentXs

RAM helps more than people like to admit.
My baby
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k @ 4.7GHz 1.3V Rampage IV Formula R9 290 1200/1500Mhz + 125mV R9 290 1200/1500Mhz + 125mV 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
G.Skill 2400 10-11-11-27 T2 16GB Kingston SSD Phobya Nova 1080 MCP35x 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK 290 Block with Fujipoly 17mkW thermal pads EK 290 Block with Fujipoly 17mkW thermal pads EK Supremacy CPU block W8.1 Because if u want a good OS you gotta pay. 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
144Hz 1080p AOC gaming monitor Steelseries 6gv2 Mechanical Keyboard EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 80 PLUS GOLD Certified 1... Razer Deathadder 
AudioAudioAudio
Creative sound blaster z soundcard Sennheiser HD558 headphones Logitech z906 
  hide details  
Reply
My baby
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k @ 4.7GHz 1.3V Rampage IV Formula R9 290 1200/1500Mhz + 125mV R9 290 1200/1500Mhz + 125mV 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
G.Skill 2400 10-11-11-27 T2 16GB Kingston SSD Phobya Nova 1080 MCP35x 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK 290 Block with Fujipoly 17mkW thermal pads EK 290 Block with Fujipoly 17mkW thermal pads EK Supremacy CPU block W8.1 Because if u want a good OS you gotta pay. 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
144Hz 1080p AOC gaming monitor Steelseries 6gv2 Mechanical Keyboard EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 80 PLUS GOLD Certified 1... Razer Deathadder 
AudioAudioAudio
Creative sound blaster z soundcard Sennheiser HD558 headphones Logitech z906 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17842 of 43911
So have anyone tried the 14.2 drivers with a 290? How are they overclocking, and how stable are they? I went back to 13.2 because of 14.1 being unstable in BF4 with a little overclocking, however I do miss Mantle...
Quicky
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
SB 2500k 4.6GHz 1.35V Msi P67A-GD55 B3 Asus R9 290 DCUII Corsair Vengeance LP Black 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 128GB 830 ,1TB Spinpoint F3 Samsung Corsair H100i Win7 Ultimate SP1 64Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Crossover 27'' S-IPS Das Keyboard Seasonic SS-1000XP Platinum Corsair 500R 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G700 Steelpad 4HD LovelyCube and V-Dac 
  hide details  
Reply
Quicky
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
SB 2500k 4.6GHz 1.35V Msi P67A-GD55 B3 Asus R9 290 DCUII Corsair Vengeance LP Black 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 128GB 830 ,1TB Spinpoint F3 Samsung Corsair H100i Win7 Ultimate SP1 64Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Crossover 27'' S-IPS Das Keyboard Seasonic SS-1000XP Platinum Corsair 500R 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G700 Steelpad 4HD LovelyCube and V-Dac 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17843 of 43911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboyto View Post

Is the TR bench downloadable, or must I install the game?  I think I have a game coupon around here somwhere thinking.gif

That sounds perfectly fine - it seems that when the bench starts, there is loading delay from your HD most likely. This outlier is what skews your average. If both you and the other guy reran the benches with the vsync off - you would see that your results would be nearly identical.
post #17844 of 43911
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortex240 View Post

That sounds perfectly fine - it seems that when the bench starts, there is loading delay from your HD most likely. This outlier is what skews your average. If both you and the other guy reran the benches with the vsync off - you would see that your results would be nearly identical.

I think we're both on SSD (at least I am), so I Don't think thats the reason.
post #17845 of 43911
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonKaz View Post

I think we're both on SSD (at least I am), so I Don't think thats the reason.

Do the test like I suggested. Could be a ton of things on your rig causing a single dip that screws up your average.
post #17846 of 43911
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortex240 View Post

Do the test like I suggested. Could be a ton of things on your rig causing a single dip that screws up your average.

Oh yeah, definitely an option. I'm taking note of all the suggestions and will be rerunning my tests today. Ill start with getting 13.12 back in the system and if that doesn't help, I'll get the 14.2 to see if theres any improvement. Apart from that, I'll run the fans at 100% and open the case to allow for better ventilation.
post #17847 of 43911
As my previous post got snowed under, i'll ask again.

I keep getting several issues with my 290X when cold booting and having a OC set in ANY overclocking program.

1. With MSI AB and TriXX the overclock does not apply and resets every reboot even though apply on boot and a saved profile are enabled.
The voltage and power limit however, ARE applied.

Simply clicking the profile again and applying fixes it.

2. Every cold boot i need to reboot at least once to get performance up. Whenever I cold boot, with or without overclock, that doesn't matter, oc programs don't affect this either, performance is extremely low after a cold boot.

Valley will run at 20 ish FPS. Clocks show normal 3d clocks across the board. Usage is 100%. Temps and power usage are MUCH lower then expected however.
This can ONLY be fixed with a full reboot and after that it runs without any issues.

Happens on both 14.1 and 14.2 drivers. Haven't tested 13.xx and I won't either as I need Mantle for BF4.

3. When I use AMD Overdrive to simply OC without editting voltage the 2d clocks are stuck in full 3d for the core.
Memory clocks down just fine, as soon as Overdrive is enabled, core gets stuck in 3d clocks.

When I use a 3rd party OC program and leave Overdrive disabled, it downclocks just fine btw. Turning off Overdrive sees core clock instantly dropping to ~300Mhz. Turning it on even with stock speeds immidiatly jumps to full speed.

Please, anyone, can you help me with any of these issues?

I love my card and even though it is one hell of a sad overclocker I am not going to get rid of it pure because of the insane performance it has in the only game I play ATM which is BF4.
I mean, I run all Ultra with no AA and with HBAO enabled. Drivers set everything to max quality. 1080p with 150% res scale which means 2880x1620 resolution.
With Mantle enabled and at 1100Mhz core and 1500Mhz VRAM i'm averaging way over 70FPS. probably about 80-82 FPS. This is where a GTX780 @ 1306Mhz core and 1800Mhz VRAM can't even average 50 on D3D11...
Thundahcat.
(20 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon XP-M Barton @ 2612Mhz ASUS A7N8X-X HIS Radeon X800XL 256MB w/ V-MOD @ 585Mhz GPU 5... 3x512MB Samsung PC-3200 CL3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
Maxtor 80GB IDE Cooler Master alu/copper block with a Slipstrea... Windows 98 SE Windows XP Pro SP3 
PowerCase
Cooler Master Real Power M520W OEM with great airflow and even cable management 
  hide details  
Reply
Thundahcat.
(20 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon XP-M Barton @ 2612Mhz ASUS A7N8X-X HIS Radeon X800XL 256MB w/ V-MOD @ 585Mhz GPU 5... 3x512MB Samsung PC-3200 CL3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
Maxtor 80GB IDE Cooler Master alu/copper block with a Slipstrea... Windows 98 SE Windows XP Pro SP3 
PowerCase
Cooler Master Real Power M520W OEM with great airflow and even cable management 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17848 of 43911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprezzion View Post

2. Every cold boot i need to reboot at least once to get performance up. Whenever I cold boot, with or without overclock, that doesn't matter, oc programs don't affect this either, performance is extremely low after a cold boot.

Valley will run at 20 ish FPS. Clocks show normal 3d clocks across the board. Usage is 100%. Temps and power usage are MUCH lower then expected however.
This can ONLY be fixed with a full reboot and after that it runs without any issues.

Happens on both 14.1 and 14.2 drivers. Haven't tested 13.xx and I won't either as I need Mantle for BF4.
Same happened to me using 14.1. Reverting to 13.xx fixed this. I noticed it playing Skyrim: Performance was bad so I decided to reboot after which it got back to normal. Haven't checked 14.2 yet.
post #17849 of 43911
8-pack is live and breaking 4x GPU world records using Asus DCUII R9-290x cards: http://www.twitch.tv/overclockers_uk

He just broke Catzilla 4-way WR. I need to talk to him later about how he figured out to enable multi GPU scaling on Catzilla lol
post #17850 of 43911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprezzion View Post

As my previous post got snowed under, i'll ask again.

I keep getting several issues with my 290X when cold booting and having a OC set in ANY overclocking program.

1. With MSI AB and TriXX the overclock does not apply and resets every reboot even though apply on boot and a saved profile are enabled.
The voltage and power limit however, ARE applied.

Simply clicking the profile again and applying fixes it.

2. Every cold boot i need to reboot at least once to get performance up. Whenever I cold boot, with or without overclock, that doesn't matter, oc programs don't affect this either, performance is extremely low after a cold boot.

Valley will run at 20 ish FPS. Clocks show normal 3d clocks across the board. Usage is 100%. Temps and power usage are MUCH lower then expected however.
This can ONLY be fixed with a full reboot and after that it runs without any issues.

Happens on both 14.1 and 14.2 drivers. Haven't tested 13.xx and I won't either as I need Mantle for BF4.

3. When I use AMD Overdrive to simply OC without editting voltage the 2d clocks are stuck in full 3d for the core.
Memory clocks down just fine, as soon as Overdrive is enabled, core gets stuck in 3d clocks.

When I use a 3rd party OC program and leave Overdrive disabled, it downclocks just fine btw. Turning off Overdrive sees core clock instantly dropping to ~300Mhz. Turning it on even with stock speeds immidiatly jumps to full speed.

Please, anyone, can you help me with any of these issues?

I love my card and even though it is one hell of a sad overclocker I am not going to get rid of it pure because of the insane performance it has in the only game I play ATM which is BF4.
I mean, I run all Ultra with no AA and with HBAO enabled. Drivers set everything to max quality. 1080p with 150% res scale which means 2880x1620 resolution.
With Mantle enabled and at 1100Mhz core and 1500Mhz VRAM i'm averaging way over 70FPS. probably about 80-82 FPS. This is where a GTX780 @ 1306Mhz core and 1800Mhz VRAM can't even average 50 on D3D11...

i just tried it. oc'ed and it stayed. both restart and cold boot. unless i am not understanding you. here is what i used . . .




i don't mix ab and trixx. i only use trixx to oc and only for benching. i tried it to help you. this is using 14.2, btw. 14.2 works as flawless as 13.11 just not with BF4/mantle in my case.
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club