Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club - Page 1794

post #17931 of 43923
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoeticg View Post

That can't be right. So you can buy a 290x at any point in time, and over the next 3 months you'll receive a refund for the difference of the lowest price you can find???

You could make a career out of that LOLLLL

PRICE PROTECTION

Should you find a lower regular price for a new item within 60 days from the date of purchase using your eligible MasterCard card, you may be reimbursed for the price difference"

http://www.mastercard.ca/card-benefits.html

certain mastercards will extend that to 3 months

EDIT: they have a few other useful protections:
SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: If you become dissatisfied with a product you purchase using your eligible MasterCard card within 60 days of purchase, and the store will not accept a return, you may be eligible for a refund for the cost of the product up to $250.

EXTENDED WARRANTY: Doubles the original manufacturer's or store brand warranty for up to one year when you pay with your eligible MasterCard card.

Or maybe American's don't have this protection, but I doubt it. Canada is usually the one that gets the short end of the stick


Also has anyone tried the ASUS vbios update?
Edited by Roy360 - 2/27/14 at 8:06am
post #17932 of 43923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy360 View Post

PRICE PROTECTION

Should you find a lower regular price for a new item within 60 days from the date of purchase using your eligible MasterCard card, you may be reimbursed for the price difference"

http://www.mastercard.ca/card-benefits.html

certain mastercards will extend that to 3 months

EDIT: they have a few other useful protections:
SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: If you become dissatisfied with a product you purchase using your eligible MasterCard card within 60 days of purchase, and the store will not accept a return, you may be eligible for a refund for the cost of the product up to $250.

EXTENDED WARRANTY: Doubles the original manufacturer's or store brand warranty for up to one year when you pay with your eligible MasterCard card.

Or maybe American's don't have this protection, but I doubt it. Canada is usually the one that gets the short end of the stick


Also has anyone tried the ASUS vbios update?

I don't use mastercard, but Visa, and its pretty much the same thing depending on who is providing your card.
Silent But Deadly
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Amd Ryzen 7 1700 Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VI Asus Rx 480 Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3000  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin Reactor 1TB Seagate BarraCuda ST4000DM005 4TB x2 Lg hd-dvd/blu ray combo XSPC EX 240 + AlphaCool xt45 280+ Thermal Take ... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro  SAMSUNG 40" UN40KU6300 Func Kb 460 SeaSonic X Series X-850  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Arc Midi Logitech MX 518 Razor Vespula Pioneer SC-63 
  hide details  
Reply
Silent But Deadly
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Amd Ryzen 7 1700 Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VI Asus Rx 480 Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3000  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin Reactor 1TB Seagate BarraCuda ST4000DM005 4TB x2 Lg hd-dvd/blu ray combo XSPC EX 240 + AlphaCool xt45 280+ Thermal Take ... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro  SAMSUNG 40" UN40KU6300 Func Kb 460 SeaSonic X Series X-850  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Arc Midi Logitech MX 518 Razor Vespula Pioneer SC-63 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17933 of 43923
[/quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0x3d View Post

I bought 2x GB WF 290x from Scan. An upgrade from 2x 6970s. When I opened one of them I heard a rattling noise inside and when I turned the card over a screw fell out! I can't actually see anything different from the two cards. Apart from when running on idle, the fans wobble ever so slightly on one of them and I thought maybe the screw came from the fan housing - but I think this is normal?

The temps / fan speeds / noise are almost identical. It's not obvious where the screw came from. It's quite big, about 5mm long with a philips dome shaped (as opposed to flat) head. Any ideas?

Could it just be a random screw that found it's way in there during manufacturing or packaging? Or maybe I got a card someone returned and they accidentally left a screw in there?

Bit of a mystery!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboyto View Post

Pic please! Someone with a gigabyte card who has disassembled them may be able to identify the screw for you

Here's a pic of the screw - any ideas where it came from??


WIP
(20 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k Asus Rampage IV Black Edition 2x R9 290x G.Skill RipJaws Z 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 SSD VelociRaptor  Western Digital 2TB Green  OCZ Vertex II 
CoolingOSKeyboardPower
H100i Windows 8.1 MS Sidewinder X6 Cooler Master v1200 Platinum 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Coolermaster ATCS 840 MS Sidewinder X8 OCZ Logitech 2.1 
OtherOtherOtherOther
3x Dell 22inch IPS Displays Bucket seat racing chair GameCom 780 G27 Steering Wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
WIP
(20 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k Asus Rampage IV Black Edition 2x R9 290x G.Skill RipJaws Z 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 SSD VelociRaptor  Western Digital 2TB Green  OCZ Vertex II 
CoolingOSKeyboardPower
H100i Windows 8.1 MS Sidewinder X6 Cooler Master v1200 Platinum 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Coolermaster ATCS 840 MS Sidewinder X8 OCZ Logitech 2.1 
OtherOtherOtherOther
3x Dell 22inch IPS Displays Bucket seat racing chair GameCom 780 G27 Steering Wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17934 of 43923
I've taken my 290 apart several times. That doesn't look familiar.

Second 290 in the mail. Should be here on Monday. I'll update at that time to 2 (290's)

Yay.... smile.gif
Edited by battleaxe - 2/27/14 at 9:46am
     
Reply
     
Reply
post #17935 of 43923
Hello,

I know there is a new crossfire tech with the new 290 (x), by not needed the connection bridges. Is there anything I need to know other than enbling it in ccc?
3770K
(14 items)
 
R7 1700
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
RYZEN 1700 ASROCK AB350 GAMING K4 ZOTAC 1080TI REFERENCE MODEL G SKILL 8 GIG (2X) 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WESTERN DIGITAL 250 M.2 2280 WINDOWS 10 64 CORSAIR SF600 LIAN LI PC-O10 
  hide details  
Reply
3770K
(14 items)
 
R7 1700
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
RYZEN 1700 ASROCK AB350 GAMING K4 ZOTAC 1080TI REFERENCE MODEL G SKILL 8 GIG (2X) 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WESTERN DIGITAL 250 M.2 2280 WINDOWS 10 64 CORSAIR SF600 LIAN LI PC-O10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17936 of 43923
Going to be setting up 290 xfire over the weekend, first time running dual gpus ever for me. I have some questions.

So to install, since I have 13.12 installed already for my current 290, I can just remove my current card and put the new card in, right? And then after testing put the older one in?

Does the top card have to be the primary gpu or master or whatever its called? Does the primary gpu run hotter? I know the card in the upper slot will have higher temps, so should I set the lower card as master, if I have that option?

Do you have to have CCC to control xfire?

13.12 is fine for 290 xfire if I don't need mantle right? No additional improvement for xfire in 14.2 if I'm not running mantle?


Also I'm getting this odd glitch all of a sudden:



A ghosted outline of Trixx on my primary display. (Trixx is set to appear on my secondary display.) Just started happening yesterday. Any clue what this might be?
my pc
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 4670k Asus Maximus VII Gene Powercolor PCS+ AXR9 290 Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial m500 SSD LG GGC H20L Bluray/HDDVD combo drive Watercool Heatkiller IV Pro all copper Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 420 radiator 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 280 radiator Watercool Heatkiller GPU-X3 290X Windows 8.1 Qnix QX2710LED 27" 2560x1440 monitor 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K360 wireless keyboard EVGA 1000w P2 Phanteks Enthoo Primo white Logitech Performance MX wireless mouse 
AudioOther
Cyber Acoustics 3602a Western Digital Red 6tb HDD 
  hide details  
Reply
my pc
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 4670k Asus Maximus VII Gene Powercolor PCS+ AXR9 290 Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial m500 SSD LG GGC H20L Bluray/HDDVD combo drive Watercool Heatkiller IV Pro all copper Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 420 radiator 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 280 radiator Watercool Heatkiller GPU-X3 290X Windows 8.1 Qnix QX2710LED 27" 2560x1440 monitor 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K360 wireless keyboard EVGA 1000w P2 Phanteks Enthoo Primo white Logitech Performance MX wireless mouse 
AudioOther
Cyber Acoustics 3602a Western Digital Red 6tb HDD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17937 of 43923
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0x3d View Post


Here's a pic of the screw - any ideas where it came from??


[/quote]

if that's a reference card, check the back of the pcb. If there are all there, it's probably from the shroud, which you can ignore. Or less likely the PCI bracket
post #17938 of 43923
Quote:
Originally Posted by taem View Post

Going to be setting up 290 xfire over the weekend, first time running dual gpus ever for me. I have some questions.

So to install, since I have 13.12 installed already for my current 290, I can just remove my current card and put the new card in, right? And then after testing put the older one in?

Does the top card have to be the primary gpu or master or whatever its called? Does the primary gpu run hotter? I know the card in the upper slot will have higher temps, so should I set the lower card as master, if I have that option?

Do you have to have CCC to control xfire?

13.12 is fine for 290 xfire if I don't need mantle right? No additional improvement for xfire in 14.2 if I'm not running mantle?


Also I'm getting this odd glitch all of a sudden:



A ghosted outline of Trixx on my primary display. (Trixx is set to appear on my secondary display.) Just started happening yesterday. Any clue what this might be?

Yes you can remove your present card to test your new card and then put them both in when everything checks out. For crossfire you will need CCC to enable crossfire (It should recognize both cards immediately and then will ask you to update the crossfire settings). You don't need CCC after this just don't use the software but leave it on your system. The card in the first slot will be the primary card. I have found that putting the card which can perform the best will give you a slight performance gain since it is utilized more than the second. I haven't found any setting where you can designate which is master/slave in that regard. Mantle is not required you will see a big improvement on DX11. Of course Mantle is supposed to offer even more than DX11 but its very hit or miss right now. 13.12 is very stable for a crossfire set up, running it currently with a trifire setup.

Regarding the trixx ghosting, it's happened to me on a few occasions, I usually just go into display settings put a different refresh rate then revert and it's gone. Don't really know what is causing it though.
post #17939 of 43923
Quote:
Originally Posted by phallacy View Post

Yes you can remove your present card to test your new card and then put them both in when everything checks out. For crossfire you will need CCC to enable crossfire (It should recognize both cards immediately and then will ask you to update the crossfire settings). You don't need CCC after this just don't use the software but leave it on your system. The card in the first slot will be the primary card. I have found that putting the card which can perform the best will give you a slight performance gain since it is utilized more than the second. I haven't found any setting where you can designate which is master/slave in that regard. Mantle is not required you will see a big improvement on DX11. Of course Mantle is supposed to offer even more than DX11 but its very hit or miss right now. 13.12 is very stable for a crossfire set up, running it currently with a trifire setup.

Regarding the trixx ghosting, it's happened to me on a few occasions, I usually just go into display settings put a different refresh rate then revert and it's gone. Don't really know what is causing it though.

Thanks for the response. What frames are you getting on BF4 may i ask? I just ordered an i7 as my old i5 is struggling on bf4 at the moment.
3770K
(14 items)
 
R7 1700
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
RYZEN 1700 ASROCK AB350 GAMING K4 ZOTAC 1080TI REFERENCE MODEL G SKILL 8 GIG (2X) 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WESTERN DIGITAL 250 M.2 2280 WINDOWS 10 64 CORSAIR SF600 LIAN LI PC-O10 
  hide details  
Reply
3770K
(14 items)
 
R7 1700
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
RYZEN 1700 ASROCK AB350 GAMING K4 ZOTAC 1080TI REFERENCE MODEL G SKILL 8 GIG (2X) 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WESTERN DIGITAL 250 M.2 2280 WINDOWS 10 64 CORSAIR SF600 LIAN LI PC-O10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17940 of 43923
Is it advisable though to uninstall 13.12, seat both cards, and reinstall 13.12? Any benefit to that, or conversely, any downside to simply adding the second card to already installed drivers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phallacy View Post

Yes you can remove your present card to test your new card and then put them both in when everything checks out. For crossfire you will need CCC to enable crossfire (It should recognize both cards immediately and then will ask you to update the crossfire settings). You don't need CCC after this just don't use the software but leave it on your system.

Probably a stupid question but that means enabled, right? I like to disable it because it loads after Trixx and resets the clocks. To enable CCC (but have OC features off) I need to set Trixx on a delay in Task Scheduler, which I don't think is causing any problems, but my philosophy is to tinker as little as possible.
Quote:
The card in the first slot will be the primary card. I have found that putting the card which can perform the best will give you a slight performance gain since it is utilized more than the second.

Hmm. I was planning on the Tri-X in the upper slot and the Powercolor PCS+ in the bottom slot because the Tri X is 14mm thinner than the PCS+ and will leave more spacing between cards. But I wonder if the other way around would be better. How do you test for better performer? I'm assuming benches will be the same at same clocks since they're the same gpu and both reference board. So how do I know what is the better performer? In terms of overclocking they obviously set to the same clocks.
my pc
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 4670k Asus Maximus VII Gene Powercolor PCS+ AXR9 290 Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial m500 SSD LG GGC H20L Bluray/HDDVD combo drive Watercool Heatkiller IV Pro all copper Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 420 radiator 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 280 radiator Watercool Heatkiller GPU-X3 290X Windows 8.1 Qnix QX2710LED 27" 2560x1440 monitor 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K360 wireless keyboard EVGA 1000w P2 Phanteks Enthoo Primo white Logitech Performance MX wireless mouse 
AudioOther
Cyber Acoustics 3602a Western Digital Red 6tb HDD 
  hide details  
Reply
my pc
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 4670k Asus Maximus VII Gene Powercolor PCS+ AXR9 290 Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial m500 SSD LG GGC H20L Bluray/HDDVD combo drive Watercool Heatkiller IV Pro all copper Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 420 radiator 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 280 radiator Watercool Heatkiller GPU-X3 290X Windows 8.1 Qnix QX2710LED 27" 2560x1440 monitor 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K360 wireless keyboard EVGA 1000w P2 Phanteks Enthoo Primo white Logitech Performance MX wireless mouse 
AudioOther
Cyber Acoustics 3602a Western Digital Red 6tb HDD 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club