Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club - Page 1875

post #18741 of 43911
Quote:
Originally Posted by kizwan View Post

What kind of weird crashes?

The monitor splits up in to almost 2 sections of color. Left side like a checkered red and black and the right side a white static look. Never seen anything like it
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
4930k @ 4.6ghz Asus Rampage IV Formula Sapphire R9 290 Sapphire R9 290 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Sapphire R9 290 Gskill Trident X 2400mhz - 16gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD 1TB storage 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Phobya Nova 1080 radiator Phobya Nova 1080 radiator 18 x YL Silent series 120mm fans XSPC 290x water block w/ Back Plate 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK Supremacy Clean CSQ copper cpu block 2 x D5 pumps Windows 8.1 Pro Philips BDM4065UC 40" 4k! 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Monoprice Cherry Red Gaming series EVGA 1300 G2 Fractal Silent FinalMouse 2015 revised 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Star Citizen massive pad DT 990 PRO 250ohm schiit Modi 2 Uber schiit Magni 2 Uber 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
4930k @ 4.6ghz Asus Rampage IV Formula Sapphire R9 290 Sapphire R9 290 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Sapphire R9 290 Gskill Trident X 2400mhz - 16gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD 1TB storage 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Phobya Nova 1080 radiator Phobya Nova 1080 radiator 18 x YL Silent series 120mm fans XSPC 290x water block w/ Back Plate 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK Supremacy Clean CSQ copper cpu block 2 x D5 pumps Windows 8.1 Pro Philips BDM4065UC 40" 4k! 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Monoprice Cherry Red Gaming series EVGA 1300 G2 Fractal Silent FinalMouse 2015 revised 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Star Citizen massive pad DT 990 PRO 250ohm schiit Modi 2 Uber schiit Magni 2 Uber 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18742 of 43911
Speaking of the 7970DC II, the core and copperpipes have nice contact, thanks to the plate:

I bet that the 7970 cooler would fare better than the a.k.a re-painted Matrix R9 290X heatsink (R9 290X DC II)
post #18743 of 43911
Is the power reported by gpuz accurate?

according to it, my R9 290 is only using 170W on full load.

multiplying (VDDC current*VDDC)
post #18744 of 43911
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IEZGWI2

Saw this in another thread. I'm really tempted to get either this or the Asus one that's supposed to be released at the same time frame. This samsung definitely looks sleeker and I think I can sacrifice 1440p @ 110z for 4k @ 60hz. They did market the 290x as a 4k card after all. biggrin.gif


What do you guys think?
post #18745 of 43911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy360 View Post

Is the power reported by gpuz accurate?

according to it, my R9 290 is only using 170W on full load.

multiplying (VDDC current*VDDC)

That's about what I get with vddc at 0 adjust, 175w or so, on my Powercolor. The Sapphire Tri-X at the same vddc and clocks draws way more and tops 200w by a bit. And gpu z readout on wattage accords with hwinfo and my wall meter so I would assume it's accurate. Doesn't gpu z multiply vddc current and vddc for you already, in the Power In/Out fields?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phallacy View Post

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IEZGWI2

Saw this in another thread. I'm really tempted to get either this or the Asus one that's supposed to be released at the same time frame. This samsung definitely looks sleeker and I think I can sacrifice 1440p @ 110z for 4k @ 60hz. They did market the 290x as a 4k card after all. biggrin.gif

What do you guys think?

What kind of settings/framrates can a 290x achieve at 4k? Because I find 290 crossfire can't max out a 1440p @ 60, I have to lower settings.
my pc
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 4670k Asus Maximus VII Gene Powercolor PCS+ AXR9 290 Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial m500 SSD LG GGC H20L Bluray/HDDVD combo drive Watercool Heatkiller IV Pro all copper Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 420 radiator 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 280 radiator Watercool Heatkiller GPU-X3 290X Windows 8.1 Qnix QX2710LED 27" 2560x1440 monitor 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K360 wireless keyboard EVGA 1000w P2 Phanteks Enthoo Primo white Logitech Performance MX wireless mouse 
AudioOther
Cyber Acoustics 3602a Western Digital Red 6tb HDD 
  hide details  
Reply
my pc
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 4670k Asus Maximus VII Gene Powercolor PCS+ AXR9 290 Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial m500 SSD LG GGC H20L Bluray/HDDVD combo drive Watercool Heatkiller IV Pro all copper Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 420 radiator 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 280 radiator Watercool Heatkiller GPU-X3 290X Windows 8.1 Qnix QX2710LED 27" 2560x1440 monitor 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K360 wireless keyboard EVGA 1000w P2 Phanteks Enthoo Primo white Logitech Performance MX wireless mouse 
AudioOther
Cyber Acoustics 3602a Western Digital Red 6tb HDD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18746 of 43911
Quote:
Originally Posted by taem View Post

That's about what I get with vddc at 0 adjust, 175w or so, on my Powercolor. The Sapphire Tri-X at the same vddc and clocks draws way more and tops 200w by a bit. And gpu z readout on wattage accords with hwinfo and my wall meter so I would assume it's accurate. Doesn't gpu z multiply vddc current and vddc for you already, in the Power In/Out fields?
What kind of settings/framrates can a 290x achieve at 4k? Because I find 290 crossfire can't max out a 1440p @ 60, I have to lower settings.

Which games are you talking about ? Crysis 3 with trifire I average around 70fps with full ultra and 2x smaa mgpu. Far Cry 3 I get 100ish avg fps with full max settings. Other than these 2 games which are really demanding, all my other games are super fluid in 1440p with 150+ fps averaging

To test, I played BF4 with 150% res scale (4k downscaled back to 1440p) and I was averaging 100 fps there too. Although it was using Mantle (the post with my results and screenshots are in the Mantle thread)
post #18747 of 43911
Quote:
Originally Posted by phallacy View Post

Which games are you talking about ? Crysis 3 with trifire I average around 70fps with full ultra and 2x smaa mgpu. Far Cry 3 I get 100ish avg fps with full max settings. Other than these 2 games which are really demanding, all my other games are super fluid in 1440p with 150+ fps averaging

To test, I played BF4 with 150% res scale (4k downscaled back to 1440p) and I was averaging 100 fps there too. Although it was using Mantle (the post with my results and screenshots are in the Mantle thread)

I never go by average, I use v sync and choose settings that give me a constant 60. And there are few current gen demanding games where I can max everything and get 60. Bioshock Infinite is the only one I can think of. Metro LL, FC3, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, Hitman Absolution, Sleeping Dogs, can't max any of these, and that's just to name a few. I can get all the settings I want so I'm not whingeing about it. But max FC3? Frame buffer at 5 cripples my framerate.

Do you really mean max everything, literally everything? Because maybe tri fire makes all the difference, but you can't max a 1440p with 290x crossfire. Here's just one example.
my pc
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 4670k Asus Maximus VII Gene Powercolor PCS+ AXR9 290 Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial m500 SSD LG GGC H20L Bluray/HDDVD combo drive Watercool Heatkiller IV Pro all copper Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 420 radiator 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 280 radiator Watercool Heatkiller GPU-X3 290X Windows 8.1 Qnix QX2710LED 27" 2560x1440 monitor 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K360 wireless keyboard EVGA 1000w P2 Phanteks Enthoo Primo white Logitech Performance MX wireless mouse 
AudioOther
Cyber Acoustics 3602a Western Digital Red 6tb HDD 
  hide details  
Reply
my pc
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 4670k Asus Maximus VII Gene Powercolor PCS+ AXR9 290 Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial m500 SSD LG GGC H20L Bluray/HDDVD combo drive Watercool Heatkiller IV Pro all copper Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 420 radiator 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 280 radiator Watercool Heatkiller GPU-X3 290X Windows 8.1 Qnix QX2710LED 27" 2560x1440 monitor 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K360 wireless keyboard EVGA 1000w P2 Phanteks Enthoo Primo white Logitech Performance MX wireless mouse 
AudioOther
Cyber Acoustics 3602a Western Digital Red 6tb HDD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18748 of 43911
Quote:
Originally Posted by taem View Post

I never go by average, I use v sync and choose settings that give me a constant 60. And there are few current gen demanding games where I can max everything and get 60. Bioshock Infinite is the only one I can think of. Metro LL, FC3, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, Hitman Absolution, Sleeping Dogs, can't max any of these, and that's just to name a few. I can get all the settings I want so I'm not whingeing about it. But max FC3? Frame buffer at 5 cripples my framerate.

Do you really mean max everything, literally everything? Because maybe tri fire makes all the difference, but you can't max a 1440p with 290x crossfire. Here's just one example.

That example is showing Crysis 3 at 1600p with 4x MSAA. I'll admit this is the one game where even quad setups with uber hexacore / xeons will give trouble. The engine and rendering is just that intensive. I have to turn down the AA to 2x smgpu to get good trifire performance.

But for all other AAA games, yes when I say max everything I mean the highest available setting for that option. Max Payne 3 MSAA is very broken though. I don't use it in that game. I use FXAA there and that is regularly sitting at 150-160fps. You can call that a compromise I guess but if you check out multiple forum posts many people consider FXAA superior to MSAA for Max Payne 3.

I use 8x MSAA in Far Cry 3 and still I can manage 90-100 fps. Can't comment on the others as I have uninstalled them since reformatting.
post #18749 of 43911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coree View Post

Speaking of the 7970DC II, the core and copperpipes have nice contact, thanks to the plate:

I bet that the 7970 cooler would fare better than the a.k.a re-painted Matrix R9 290X heatsink (R9 290X DC II)

it would, easily, greater surface area, no outtake restriction, fans are at least something decent (apart from a rattle in my case), and the heatpipes are actually oriented correctly and would give picture-perfect contact, even better then what they give on the 7970.

you would want to modify the fan shroud though so it works correctly, the fan towards the display outputs for example dumps most of its cold air out the back instead of pushing it through the heatsink, no idea if the mounting holes would be close enough though, Id probably try myself but I prefer a blower fan due to how my case behaves. (no side vents or fans)
   
build server
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
R5-1600X GA-AX370-G5 AMD R9-290X Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200 C16 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
ADATA SX8000NF 2x Samsung 850 pro 256GB 2x WD Red 2TB RAID1 OCZ Vertex 3 120GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Shingle 8TB EK Supremacy EVO + EK 290X R2 + backplate + EK-... Windows 10 Pro 4k 24" samung PLS freesync 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
1200p 24" samsung Corsair K70 Red Seasonic 1000W Platinum Raven RV01 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Corsair M60/M45 Corsair gigabyte dual-onboard audio HDMI 8ch LPCM 24@192k DAC 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD AthlonII 640 x4 Gigabyte 880GM-USB3 nvidia GTX 460SE Corsair Dominator 2*2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate 500GB some sony DVD burner stock, case has a nice side duct though Windows 7 home premium 64bit 
PowerCase
Arctic Cooling 550R Gigabyte mATX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Atom 230 some all-in-one Mini-ITX board Intel GMA 950 some 1GB stick 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate 320GB LightScribe DVD burner? passive stock Oracle Linux 
PowerCase
integrated in the motherboard, 65W power brick compaque stock Mini-ITX case 
  hide details  
Reply
   
build server
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
R5-1600X GA-AX370-G5 AMD R9-290X Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200 C16 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
ADATA SX8000NF 2x Samsung 850 pro 256GB 2x WD Red 2TB RAID1 OCZ Vertex 3 120GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Shingle 8TB EK Supremacy EVO + EK 290X R2 + backplate + EK-... Windows 10 Pro 4k 24" samung PLS freesync 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
1200p 24" samsung Corsair K70 Red Seasonic 1000W Platinum Raven RV01 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Corsair M60/M45 Corsair gigabyte dual-onboard audio HDMI 8ch LPCM 24@192k DAC 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD AthlonII 640 x4 Gigabyte 880GM-USB3 nvidia GTX 460SE Corsair Dominator 2*2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate 500GB some sony DVD burner stock, case has a nice side duct though Windows 7 home premium 64bit 
PowerCase
Arctic Cooling 550R Gigabyte mATX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Atom 230 some all-in-one Mini-ITX board Intel GMA 950 some 1GB stick 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate 320GB LightScribe DVD burner? passive stock Oracle Linux 
PowerCase
integrated in the motherboard, 65W power brick compaque stock Mini-ITX case 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18750 of 43911
Hy boys...

I have a XFX R9 290X unlock to R9 290X with ELPIDA ram that can do only 1400 mhz...It's possible or should i do something to go higher ? I use ASUS bios to oc and GPU TWEAK...

Thanks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club