Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club - Page 1982

post #19811 of 43910
Quote:
Originally Posted by kizwan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldenc View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by airisom2 View Post

Alright guys. I just want to confirm this one more time before I RMA my PCS+ 290Xs. Could someone please run Valley 1080p extreme hd on their 290x at 1050/1350? Thanks.

This is my score on one 290x (1050/1350) no tweaks:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

this is mine Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Trix 290x @ 1050/1350 no tweaks
CPU does slightly affect Valley score. Going from 3820 @4.75GHz to 3.8GHz, I loose a couple hundred of Valley score. I honestly don't think your card under perform just from one benchmark score. I'll need to check out your previous post to understand what is the problem you're experiencing.

@airisom2, this is mine, 290 though, @1050/1350, no tweaks (CCC default) & 3820 @4.75GHz.


This at stock clock, 1000/1300 (290 TRI-X BIOS).

Oh, it (they) underperforms in everything. Firestrike, Valley, Heaven, you name it. Basically, in any gpu-taxing benchmark and games, it performs around 290 levels, but slightly worse. The difference between a 4 core and 6 core (sandy and up) in Valley is basically negligible in gpu benchmarks, and I've seen a few comparisons between the two in the past. The scores are basically within <1% of each other, given that both are overclocked (Valley/Heaven).
Edited by airisom2 - 3/28/14 at 5:17am
post #19812 of 43910
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwareDecoder View Post

Anyone else bummed out that the 290/x isn't gonna support DX12?

Nope, by the time DX12 is available for games, current hardware will be outdated and it will be time for an upgrade anyway
post #19813 of 43910
Greetings. Can you tell me how is average safe voltage for properly cooled R9 290? Does keeping +175mv 24/7 a good idea? For my card this mean 1,313 1.212 v under full load (OCCT) and 1.25-1.3v under average load (damn offset). It is safe ? Thanks for all replies.
Edited by Witwicky - 3/28/14 at 5:07am
post #19814 of 43910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post

Greetings. Can you tell me how is average safe voltage for properly cooled R9 290? Does keeping +175mv 24/7 a good idea? For my card this mean 1,313 1.212 v under full load (OCCT) and 1.25-1.3v under average load (damn offset). It is safe ? Thanks for all replies.

That is some serious vdroop! you should be fine though as long as temps are in check. By comparison with my R9 290X with just +100mv my actual core voltage under a strenuous load is 1.328vc which gets me 1200mhz on the core.
post #19815 of 43910
Yes. In OCCT vdroop is very high, because this tool stressing the card to the maximum (with settings Shader Complexity-7, fps limit-200fps, and error checking enabled). But in demanding games like Metro LL, voltage jumping between 1.25-1.3v. But I still have doubts if it is not too much for offset, because sometime voltage spikes even to 1.38 v :S
post #19816 of 43910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprezzion View Post

Just download the Beta 19 from Guru3D.

I use it, it works perfectly.

really? mine isn't working anymore. the /wi6,30,8d,20 parameter that I used in beta 18 just stopped doing anything. anyone else having this problem?
post #19817 of 43910
any one with a 290X Matrix? i wanna see some benchmarks biggrin.gif from users not websites
post #19818 of 43910
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteReplay View Post

any one with a 290X Matrix? i wanna see some benchmarks biggrin.gif from users not websites

After seeing the reviews and a general consensus that the combination of elpida vram, and recycled DCU II coolerl doesn't offer much more than the reference design or a custom reference design, I'm guessing very few people here will opt to buy that custom card given the choice between MSI's Lightning and Asus' Matrix. I wouldn't expect to see that many on here.
post #19819 of 43910
I think all r9 290 and r9 290x with elipida memory whould be at least 40% cheaper because they suck according to many people. I feel sorry for those paying big bucks for these card with the highly unstable memory. Price cut it a must on these cards, I think a okay price for a 290 referense should be around 270 dollars and around 230 for elpidia. For the 290x, 300 for the reference and 250 for the elpidia mem. R9 cards are a beast yes, but the fact that they get so freaking hot even with non-reference cooler and can achieve questionable OC results, make them weaker than the 7970 for this generation. I think the 7970 did give better value for money than the 290/290x. A 290 is what, like 10-15% faster than a 7970Ghz? At this point, if you are going to WC your card ick the cheapest reference one with hynix memory and if you are running non.reference cooler take the tri-x, because these are the cheapest ones with hynix memory if im not wrong. Sorry, but neither 290 or 290x is worth 400 dollars, max 300 imo.
My PC
(28 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700K Asus Z170 Pro Gaming KFA2 GTX 1080 Ti EXOC Corsair LPX 16GB (2x8), 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Western Digital WD15EADS 1.5TB Samsung 840 250GB Crucial MX100 256GB Alphacool Eisblock XPX 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool ST30 360mm Alphacool ST30 140mm Alphacool Eisbecher 150mm Alphacool VPP655 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Masterkleer (10/13mm) Compression fittings (10/13mm) Corsair SP120 High Performance Phobya 6 Touch 30W 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Aquacomputer Kryographics Titan X (Pascal) Aquacomputer Active XCS backplate Watercool Heatkiller SW-X MB-Set Alphacool Monsta 240mm 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional Retail AOC Agon ag271qx CM Storm Quickfire Rappid-I Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Cosmos II Logitech G502 Steelseries QcK Logitech 5:1 
  hide details  
Reply
My PC
(28 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700K Asus Z170 Pro Gaming KFA2 GTX 1080 Ti EXOC Corsair LPX 16GB (2x8), 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Western Digital WD15EADS 1.5TB Samsung 840 250GB Crucial MX100 256GB Alphacool Eisblock XPX 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool ST30 360mm Alphacool ST30 140mm Alphacool Eisbecher 150mm Alphacool VPP655 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Masterkleer (10/13mm) Compression fittings (10/13mm) Corsair SP120 High Performance Phobya 6 Touch 30W 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Aquacomputer Kryographics Titan X (Pascal) Aquacomputer Active XCS backplate Watercool Heatkiller SW-X MB-Set Alphacool Monsta 240mm 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional Retail AOC Agon ag271qx CM Storm Quickfire Rappid-I Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Cosmos II Logitech G502 Steelseries QcK Logitech 5:1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19820 of 43910
Quote:
Originally Posted by PachAz View Post

I think all r9 290 and r9 290x with elipida memory whould be at least 40% cheaper because they suck according to many people. I feel sorry for those paying big bucks for these card with the highly unstable memory. Price cut it a must on these cards, I think a okay price for a 290 referense should be around 270 dollars and around 230 for elpidia. For the 290x, 300 for the reference and 250 for the elpidia mem. R9 cards are a beast yes, but the fact that they get so freaking hot even with non-reference cooler and can achieve questionable OC results, make them weaker than the 7970 for this generation. I think the 7970 did give better value for money than the 290/290x. A 290 is what, like 10-15% faster than a 7970Ghz? At this point, if you are going to WC your card ick the cheapest reference one with hynix memory and if you are running non.reference cooler take the tri-x, because these are the cheapest ones with hynix memory if im not wrong. Sorry, but neither 290 or 290x is worth 400 dollars, max 300 imo.

First thing, my previous card was a HD 7970 running at a healthy 1250mhz core and a big memory overclock to boot. I loved the card, it helds its own for a long time and is still more than enough for most games on a single 1080P screen. Now I own a R9 290X, im one of the lucky ones who actually purchased a R9 290 at release for $399.99 only to find out it could be flashed to a full fledged $550.00 R9 290X. wink.gif

Yes the card with stock cooling is very hot but I never leave my video cards with stock cooling either so I purchased and Accelero 3 cooler and now enjoy a 1200mhz core overclock and 1500mhz ram while never exceeding 64C load temps in spite of the overclock and overvolt to 1.328vc. As far as performance is concerned you are wrong, my HD R9 290X even at stock clocks walks my old overclocked HD 7970 and at 1200mhz core its not even close. I have gained as much as 20-30fps in some games which makes quiet a difference if you were previously struggling to maintain 30fps in certain gaming scenarios.

Oh yah, forgot to mention my card has elpida ram and no it doesnt suck. Some folks I think just got bad batches of it or something because mine has never given me any issues and clocks pretty decent. IMO the card is worth every bit of the $399.99 which I plaid for it, especially since it was a R9 290X in disguise which just needed to be unlocked.
Edited by Niberius - 3/28/14 at 1:50pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club