Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club - Page 2030

post #20291 of 43924
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

if they are reference they will be toasty even with a good space between them. in your case, they will be toastier. reference are meant for watercooling.

if non-reference, then having fans at back end and/or the side might help. on the side door, i think it should be exhausting. not sure.

@Deadly. +rep.

I am currently eyeing 2 MSI R9 290 reference and 2 Saphire R9 290X's which look reference too. so could it be beneficial i look for non reference even with a case with high airflow or is it easy to swap the reference heatsinks for differant ones? (i dont have much experience with AMD/ATI Graphics tongue.gif )
Ragnarok
(15 items)
 
Yggdrassil
(8 items)
 
 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Opteron 6272 Opteron 6272 Asus KGPE-D16 Sapphire R9 290X 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
Sapphire R9 290X 8x Samsung 8GB DDR3 1333 ECC 3TBx2 in Raid 1 Noctua NH-U12DO 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
120mm Fractal Design 1200rpm Case Fan Silent Se... Windows 7 Pro x64 1x24" 2x22" Corsair Professional HX1050 
CaseAudioOther
Fractal Design XL R2 Titanium Grey Asus MIO 892 Purple and white Braided/sleeved cables 
  hide details  
Reply
Ragnarok
(15 items)
 
Yggdrassil
(8 items)
 
 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Opteron 6272 Opteron 6272 Asus KGPE-D16 Sapphire R9 290X 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
Sapphire R9 290X 8x Samsung 8GB DDR3 1333 ECC 3TBx2 in Raid 1 Noctua NH-U12DO 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
120mm Fractal Design 1200rpm Case Fan Silent Se... Windows 7 Pro x64 1x24" 2x22" Corsair Professional HX1050 
CaseAudioOther
Fractal Design XL R2 Titanium Grey Asus MIO 892 Purple and white Braided/sleeved cables 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20292 of 43924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse View Post

I am currently eyeing 2 MSI R9 290 reference and 2 Saphire R9 290X's which look reference too. so could it be beneficial i look for non reference even with a case with high airflow or is it easy to swap the reference heatsinks for differant ones? (i dont have much experience with AMD/ATI Graphics tongue.gif )

it might take out another slot installing aftermarket cooler on the reference except a waterblock. i recommend the msi for reference. that's what i have.

some non-ref already takes more than 2 slots, so take note.

just browse through and you'll see what others did . . .

http://www.overclock.net/f/72/ati-cooling

edit: another thing . . . take note of warranty. powercolor's warranty, i believe, is not transferable.
Edited by rdr09 - 4/9/14 at 6:23am
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20293 of 43924
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

it might take out another slot installing aftermarket cooler on the reference except a waterblock. i recommend the msi for reference. that's what i have.

some non-ref already takes more than 2 slots, so take note.

just browse through and you'll see what others did . . .

http://www.overclock.net/f/72/ati-cooling

edit: another thing . . . take note of warranty. powercolor's warranty, i believe, is not transferable.

the issue is my mobo the first slot for graphics is only two slots above the one below it (The blue slots) the top white PCI-E is used by my graphics so things are tight tongue.gif what temps do you get on your MSI Reference?

Ragnarok
(15 items)
 
Yggdrassil
(8 items)
 
 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Opteron 6272 Opteron 6272 Asus KGPE-D16 Sapphire R9 290X 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
Sapphire R9 290X 8x Samsung 8GB DDR3 1333 ECC 3TBx2 in Raid 1 Noctua NH-U12DO 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
120mm Fractal Design 1200rpm Case Fan Silent Se... Windows 7 Pro x64 1x24" 2x22" Corsair Professional HX1050 
CaseAudioOther
Fractal Design XL R2 Titanium Grey Asus MIO 892 Purple and white Braided/sleeved cables 
  hide details  
Reply
Ragnarok
(15 items)
 
Yggdrassil
(8 items)
 
 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Opteron 6272 Opteron 6272 Asus KGPE-D16 Sapphire R9 290X 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
Sapphire R9 290X 8x Samsung 8GB DDR3 1333 ECC 3TBx2 in Raid 1 Noctua NH-U12DO 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
120mm Fractal Design 1200rpm Case Fan Silent Se... Windows 7 Pro x64 1x24" 2x22" Corsair Professional HX1050 
CaseAudioOther
Fractal Design XL R2 Titanium Grey Asus MIO 892 Purple and white Braided/sleeved cables 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20294 of 43924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse View Post

the issue is my mobo the first slot for graphics is only two slots above the one below it (The blue slots) the top white PCI-E is used by my graphics so things are tight tongue.gif what temps do you get on your MSI Reference?


i don't think it will be that bad. i've seen worse. if you don't mind the noise of 70% fan speed, then you should be fine.

my core and vrms do not see 60C. it is watercooled.redface.gif

edit: you wil not oc anyways . . . and if you do . . . you won't get too far, i think, with the 850W.

yah, aftermarket cooler will work but i've yet to see good heatsinks for the vrms.
Edited by rdr09 - 4/9/14 at 6:52am
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20295 of 43924
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

i don't think it will be that bad. i've seen worse. if you don't mind the noise of 70% fan speed, then you should be fine.

my core and vrms do not see 60C. it is watercooled.redface.gif

edit: you wil not oc anyways . . . and if you do . . . you won't get too far, i think, with the 850W.

I will be swapping the 850 for one of my 1050's smile.gif

I dont mind noise as when i gaming i like to hear my games nice and loud biggrin.gif
Ragnarok
(15 items)
 
Yggdrassil
(8 items)
 
 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Opteron 6272 Opteron 6272 Asus KGPE-D16 Sapphire R9 290X 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
Sapphire R9 290X 8x Samsung 8GB DDR3 1333 ECC 3TBx2 in Raid 1 Noctua NH-U12DO 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
120mm Fractal Design 1200rpm Case Fan Silent Se... Windows 7 Pro x64 1x24" 2x22" Corsair Professional HX1050 
CaseAudioOther
Fractal Design XL R2 Titanium Grey Asus MIO 892 Purple and white Braided/sleeved cables 
  hide details  
Reply
Ragnarok
(15 items)
 
Yggdrassil
(8 items)
 
 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Opteron 6272 Opteron 6272 Asus KGPE-D16 Sapphire R9 290X 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
Sapphire R9 290X 8x Samsung 8GB DDR3 1333 ECC 3TBx2 in Raid 1 Noctua NH-U12DO 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
120mm Fractal Design 1200rpm Case Fan Silent Se... Windows 7 Pro x64 1x24" 2x22" Corsair Professional HX1050 
CaseAudioOther
Fractal Design XL R2 Titanium Grey Asus MIO 892 Purple and white Braided/sleeved cables 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20296 of 43924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse View Post

I will be swapping the 850 for one of my 1050's smile.gif

I dont mind noise as when i gaming i like to hear my games nice and loud biggrin.gif

you are good to go! it is not really that loud.

edit: btw, whatever cpu you have - you better oc it.
Edited by rdr09 - 4/9/14 at 7:02am
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20297 of 43924
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortex240 View Post

Well, that's because that is what it is.. Just like 7990, 6990, 5970, etc. etc. and just like nvidia does the exact same thing.

Is this news to you? I'm not sure what you were expecting here, lots of chrome and shinny things?

I think you interpreted my post wrong, I'm not confused on what this card is or does
What I was trying to get across is that everything you mentioned in your post is a given tongue.gifbiggrin.gif
Since you seemed really excited I made the sarcastic remark of the obvious which is this is 2cores on one pcb
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortex240 View Post

Are you disappointed?? Have you seen the techpowerup review, which includes OC results. The card has new hynix chips and did 1120 core 1725 mem!! Now youtube 295X2 and see how quiet it is on full load 50db.

Aside from the price tag, which was to be expected, its a great piece of engineering. Especially considering, it has no frame pacing issues at all. Granted I wish they used a thicker rad.

It's a halo product but look at how many boutique brands already announced systems with it. It will sell out, no doubt about it. The whole point of this is exclusivity.

Edited by INCREDIBLEHULK - 4/9/14 at 7:57am
  
Reply
  
Reply
post #20298 of 43924
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

you are good to go! it is not really that loud.

edit: btw, whatever cpu you have - you better oc it.

Cant OC on the ASUS KGPE-D16 unless i have a engineering sample CPU. i currently have 2 16core Optersons though, 2.4ghz full load 3ghz half load due to the turbo biggrin.gif its my sig rig
Ragnarok
(15 items)
 
Yggdrassil
(8 items)
 
 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Opteron 6272 Opteron 6272 Asus KGPE-D16 Sapphire R9 290X 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
Sapphire R9 290X 8x Samsung 8GB DDR3 1333 ECC 3TBx2 in Raid 1 Noctua NH-U12DO 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
120mm Fractal Design 1200rpm Case Fan Silent Se... Windows 7 Pro x64 1x24" 2x22" Corsair Professional HX1050 
CaseAudioOther
Fractal Design XL R2 Titanium Grey Asus MIO 892 Purple and white Braided/sleeved cables 
  hide details  
Reply
Ragnarok
(15 items)
 
Yggdrassil
(8 items)
 
 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Opteron 6272 Opteron 6272 Asus KGPE-D16 Sapphire R9 290X 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
Sapphire R9 290X 8x Samsung 8GB DDR3 1333 ECC 3TBx2 in Raid 1 Noctua NH-U12DO 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
120mm Fractal Design 1200rpm Case Fan Silent Se... Windows 7 Pro x64 1x24" 2x22" Corsair Professional HX1050 
CaseAudioOther
Fractal Design XL R2 Titanium Grey Asus MIO 892 Purple and white Braided/sleeved cables 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20299 of 43924
Quote:
Originally Posted by INCREDIBLEHULK View Post

I think you interpreted my post wrong, I'm not confused on what this card is or does
What I was trying to get across is that everything you mentioned in your post is a given tongue.gifbiggrin.gif
Since you seemed really excited I made the sarcastic remark of the obvious which is this is 2cores on one pcb

Yes, I am excited, I think it's a kick ass product. I would throw this in a mini-itx build any second if money wasn't an object. And I'm also excited that an actual gpu manufacturer used water for cooling and with great results. 50 db noise level on load is way better then any other dual gpu card shipped by nvidia or amd.

This is a first step but hopefully, more partners will follow with AIO water cooled versions in the future.

It's easy for people to be sarcastic and expect miracles - so my question to you 'What would get you excited? Knowing very well current gpu's are still on the 28nm process'
post #20300 of 43924
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortex240 View Post

Yes, I am excited, I think it's a kick ass product. I would throw this in a mini-itx build any second if money wasn't an object. And I'm also excited that an actual gpu manufacturer used water for cooling and with great results. 50 db noise level on load is way better then any other dual gpu card shipped by nvidia or amd.

This is a first step but hopefully, more partners will follow with AIO water cooled versions in the future.

It's easy for people to be sarcastic and expect miracles - so my question to you 'What would get you excited? Knowing very well current gpu's are still on the 28nm process'

The difference is I'm not expecting miracles. Unfortunately it is more difficult for some to read sarcasm then write it wink.gif.
I am glad you are excited about this product.

AIO water cooled cards become a huge liability for manufacturers because if they leak or there is issues there becomes a fine line between warranty and no warranty.
"There was a pin sized hole in your tubing that caused the leak, it is caused by the user, your RMA is denied"

People pay for what they want or what they feel is good.

Price per performance is a different story. Look at the titan-z for example, it is a joke
  
Reply
  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club