Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club - Page 2036

post #20351 of 43907
Anyone with an 290 or 290X coming from an 6 series nVidia care to share their experience with me? Planning on upgrading GPU real soon and am torn between a non-reference 290 or a 780.

Currently looking at used Sapphire Tri-X 290's on eBay and loving the prices I'm seeing.
post #20352 of 43907
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG StroOnZ View Post

Anyone with an 290 or 290X coming from an 6 series nVidia care to share their experience with me? Planning on upgrading GPU real soon and am torn between a non-reference 290 or a 780.

Currently looking at used Sapphire Tri-X 290's on eBay and loving the prices I'm seeing.

Go for it, I switched to a 290 from a GTX 670 and loved the performance increase. Easily worth it, I really miss my 290.
post #20353 of 43907
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG StroOnZ View Post

Anyone with an 290 or 290X coming from an 6 series nVidia care to share their experience with me? Planning on upgrading GPU real soon and am torn between a non-reference 290 or a 780.

Currently looking at used Sapphire Tri-X 290's on eBay and loving the prices I'm seeing.

780.

Less heat to worry about, better thermal/acoustic performance when using the same cooler. Plus, eVGA.

I went from a DirectCU II GTX 670 to a eVGA reference GTX 780 Ti to two different 290Xs (reference and Gaming), and would stick to the 780 if I found the right deal.

Frame this opinion in the context of circumstances however, as I have a SFF/mITX case so thermal performance is very important to me. If you have excellent airflow (particularly exhaust), they become roughly comparable.
Audio E-peen
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-5960X ASRock X99E-ITX/ac Unobtainium GPU 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB Corsair H100i Corsair SP120 High-Performance PWM x2 Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM x2 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NF-A9x14 Windows 10 Pro x64 Dell U2715H Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone SX600-G NCASE M1 v4 Logitech G700s eVGA GTX 590 Mouse Mat 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Schiit Yggdrasil Unobtainium Amplifier Unobtainium Headphones Cambridge Audio Azur 851A 
AudioAudioOther
Anthony Gallo Acoustics Reference Strada JH Audio JH13 Pro (Custom Silver Cables) Herman Miller Embody 
  hide details  
Reply
Audio E-peen
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-5960X ASRock X99E-ITX/ac Unobtainium GPU 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB Corsair H100i Corsair SP120 High-Performance PWM x2 Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM x2 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NF-A9x14 Windows 10 Pro x64 Dell U2715H Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone SX600-G NCASE M1 v4 Logitech G700s eVGA GTX 590 Mouse Mat 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Schiit Yggdrasil Unobtainium Amplifier Unobtainium Headphones Cambridge Audio Azur 851A 
AudioAudioOther
Anthony Gallo Acoustics Reference Strada JH Audio JH13 Pro (Custom Silver Cables) Herman Miller Embody 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20354 of 43907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forceman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow0309 View Post

+Rep
Thanks for the answer, yeah I've red that review and other +12v low issue related and it seems that's a low voltage indeed
The 290 in oc is a power hungry video card and the min for the 12v rail is of 11.40v within the atx 2.3 specs (+/- 5%), mine's showing down to 11.30 so I guess I do have to think of getting a new one.
Hoping is gonna last for one more month and I'll may get the Corsair RM850 that I've found at a nice price

Cheers! wink.gif

Do you have a multimeter? I'd check the voltage on the 12V rail with that, if you have one, before I got a new PSU. I don't think the GPU-Z readings are all that accurate.

Edit: Just checked mine. GPU-Z shows 11.88 at idle and 11.75 under load, while the multimeter showed 11.94 at idle and 11.90 at load. So the voltage drop GPU-Z is reading is either nonexistent, or it is occurring on the card, not on the input. That was checking at the PCIe power plug (I checked the 6 pin and the 8 pin and they were both the same).

Thanks, I'll borrow a multimeter soon and even test with the OCCT PSU Test tomorrow,
I'll let you know of the results smile.gif
Arrow I7
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6850K 4.4 @3.7 cache Heatkiller IV Pro Asus X99M WS/SE TITAN X Pascal @ Heatkiller IV G.Skill F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Intel 750 NVMe 400Gb, 2500Pro 180Gb Crucial MX300 750Gb LE, 2x Barracuda 3Tb Cooled by EKWB, Watercool, Alphacool, Koolance XSPC RX360 v3, 2x240 rads 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer Predator XB271HU G.Skill Ripjaws KM780 RGB SuperFlower Titanium 1000W Phanteks Enthoo Mini XL 
Mouse
Logitech G602 
  hide details  
Reply
Arrow I7
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6850K 4.4 @3.7 cache Heatkiller IV Pro Asus X99M WS/SE TITAN X Pascal @ Heatkiller IV G.Skill F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Intel 750 NVMe 400Gb, 2500Pro 180Gb Crucial MX300 750Gb LE, 2x Barracuda 3Tb Cooled by EKWB, Watercool, Alphacool, Koolance XSPC RX360 v3, 2x240 rads 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer Predator XB271HU G.Skill Ripjaws KM780 RGB SuperFlower Titanium 1000W Phanteks Enthoo Mini XL 
Mouse
Logitech G602 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20355 of 43907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Mac View Post

Go for it, I switched to a 290 from a GTX 670 and loved the performance increase. Easily worth it, I really miss my 290.

How was installation and drivers? Any issues? Was it as simple as uninstalling old drivers, removing card. Installing 290, installing AMD drivers and playing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by friend'scatdied View Post

780.

Less heat to worry about, better thermal/acoustic performance when using the same cooler. Plus, eVGA.

I went from a DirectCU II GTX 670 to a eVGA reference GTX 780 Ti to two different 290Xs (reference and Gaming), and would stick to the 780 if I found the right deal.

Frame this opinion in the context of circumstances however, as I have a SFF/mITX case so thermal performance is very important to me. If you have excellent airflow (particularly exhaust), they become roughly comparable.

If you have adequate cooling and go for a non-reference 290 would your opinion change? My 670 stays under 60C at 1320MHz/7300MHz in Heaven or 3DMark11 with my cooling setup. I dont think cooling the card will become an issue. I'm mostly concerned with drivers being a possible problem after hearing the horror stories (not sure if that's just a rumor or partially true).

I really am leaning towards the 290 because you can get them off of eBay for around $360-400 easily. That and it has 4GB of VRAM so I won't have to touch the card for a while, if anything get a second and go Crossfire. Only thing holding me back from the 780 as being a confirmed buy is the 3GB of VRAM or spending an extra $150 for eVga's 6GB 780.
post #20356 of 43907
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG StroOnZ View Post

If you have adequate cooling and go for a non-reference 290 would your opinion change? My 670 stays under 60C at 1320MHz/7300MHz in Heaven or 3DMark11 with my cooling setup. I dont think cooling the card will become an issue. I'm mostly concerned with drivers being a possible problem after hearing the horror stories (not sure if that's just a rumor or partially true).

I really am leaning towards the 290 because you can get them off of eBay for around $360-400 easily. That and it has 4GB of VRAM so I won't have to touch the card for a while, if anything get a second and go Crossfire. Only thing holding me back from the 780 as being a confirmed by is the 3GB of VRAM.

I have an aftermarket 290X right now and the heat situation hasn't improved dramatically. It just dumps a great deal of hot air relative to the 780 series, and could increase the temperatures of your other components. With your temperatures on that level of overclock with the 670, you should be more than fine.

I haven't had any driver issues with the 290X. There was one crash during BF4 (with Mantle enabled) but that was easily resolved with a quick Google (that told me to disable the iGPU). Temperatures aside, it's a very pleasant experience.

ASUS/Gigabyte/MSI cards off eBay are a very good buy right now.
Audio E-peen
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-5960X ASRock X99E-ITX/ac Unobtainium GPU 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB Corsair H100i Corsair SP120 High-Performance PWM x2 Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM x2 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NF-A9x14 Windows 10 Pro x64 Dell U2715H Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone SX600-G NCASE M1 v4 Logitech G700s eVGA GTX 590 Mouse Mat 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Schiit Yggdrasil Unobtainium Amplifier Unobtainium Headphones Cambridge Audio Azur 851A 
AudioAudioOther
Anthony Gallo Acoustics Reference Strada JH Audio JH13 Pro (Custom Silver Cables) Herman Miller Embody 
  hide details  
Reply
Audio E-peen
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-5960X ASRock X99E-ITX/ac Unobtainium GPU 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB Corsair H100i Corsair SP120 High-Performance PWM x2 Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM x2 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NF-A9x14 Windows 10 Pro x64 Dell U2715H Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone SX600-G NCASE M1 v4 Logitech G700s eVGA GTX 590 Mouse Mat 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Schiit Yggdrasil Unobtainium Amplifier Unobtainium Headphones Cambridge Audio Azur 851A 
AudioAudioOther
Anthony Gallo Acoustics Reference Strada JH Audio JH13 Pro (Custom Silver Cables) Herman Miller Embody 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20357 of 43907
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG StroOnZ View Post

How was installation and drivers? Any issues? Was it as simple as uninstalling old drivers, removing card. Installing 290, installing AMD drivers and playing?
If you have adequate cooling and go for a non-reference 290 would your opinion change? My 670 stays under 60C at 1320MHz/7300MHz in Heaven or 3DMark11 with my cooling setup. I dont think cooling the card will become an issue. I'm mostly concerned with drivers being a possible problem after hearing the horror stories (not sure if that's just a rumor or partially true).

I really am leaning towards the 290 because you can get them off of eBay for around $360-400 easily. That and it has 4GB of VRAM so I won't have to touch the card for a while, if anything get a second and go Crossfire. Only thing holding me back from the 780 as being a confirmed buy is the 3GB of VRAM or spending an extra $150 for eVga's 6GB 780.

Yeah, installing the drivers was really simple, it's basically just plug and play. I reccomebd using BradleyW's method for uninstalling drivers, he has two threads here on OCN for AMD and Nvidia and it's a simple, painless process. Drivers and stability should be a non-issue if you stick to 13.12 WHQL, the newer 14.X have a couple minor issues such as power limit not working correctly. Besides that, the only other issues I had with a 290 when I owned one are issues with Firefox's flash player and the AMD reference cooler, which was a tad bit too loud IMO.
post #20358 of 43907
Looks like I'll be joining you guys soon. MSI is replacing my 7970 lightning with a 290 Gaming series. Does anyone have experience with the MSI 290 and can give me some insight on OCing them? They originally gave me a 280x as a replacement but it was defective so they upgraded me for my troubles. The 280x seemed voltage locked so I hope the 290 will be easy to OC on.
POWERFUL
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 6800K X99-UD3P-CF AMD Radeon R9 200 Series 16gb G.skill RipjawX 2400mhz DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung spinpoint f3  Western digital Caviar Black Adata SU800 512gb LG Super Multi DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-U14S Windows 10 x64 pro Asus VA32AQ 31.5" 1440p Acer 19" LED 900p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 OCZ ZX 850w gold Cooler Master HAF XB Logitech G600 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Custom Artscow Sennheiser 429 Logitech Z313 
  hide details  
Reply
POWERFUL
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 6800K X99-UD3P-CF AMD Radeon R9 200 Series 16gb G.skill RipjawX 2400mhz DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung spinpoint f3  Western digital Caviar Black Adata SU800 512gb LG Super Multi DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-U14S Windows 10 x64 pro Asus VA32AQ 31.5" 1440p Acer 19" LED 900p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 OCZ ZX 850w gold Cooler Master HAF XB Logitech G600 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Custom Artscow Sennheiser 429 Logitech Z313 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20359 of 43907
Quote:
Originally Posted by heroxoot View Post

Looks like I'll be joining you guys soon. MSI is replacing my 7970 lightning with a 290 Gaming series. Does anyone have experience with the MSI 290 and can give me some insight on OCing them? They originally gave me a 280x as a replacement but it was defective so they upgraded me for my troubles. The 280x seemed voltage locked so I hope the 290 will be easy to OC on.
Congratulations!
post #20360 of 43907
Quote:
Originally Posted by friend'scatdied View Post

I have an aftermarket 290X right now and the heat situation hasn't improved dramatically. It just dumps a great deal of hot air relative to the 780 series, and could increase the temperatures of your other components. With your temperatures on that level of overclock with the 670, you should be more than fine.

I haven't had any driver issues with the 290X. There was one crash during BF4 (with Mantle enabled) but that was easily resolved with a quick Google (that told me to disable the iGPU). Temperatures aside, it's a very pleasant experience.

ASUS/Gigabyte/MSI cards off eBay are a very good buy right now.

You have a problem with the temps even with a custom card? Buy a better case with better airflow. Most custom cards runs below 75C. My pcs 290 runs at 65C without a case.

Or just get a loop the best investement that you can do with a high end system
Workstation
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsMonitor
Xeon E5-2690 Supermicro 2011 Nvidia GP100/ Vega FE Dell ultrasharp 4k 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsMonitor
Xeon E5-2690 Supermicro 2011 Nvidia GP100/ Vega FE Dell ultrasharp 4k 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club