Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club - Page 2160

post #21591 of 43993
Quote:
Originally Posted by bond32 View Post

Your psu might be to blame. If the card is running at those temps it's not the issue. Did you set everything else to stock?

Everything is stock. I have tried running the CPU at 5.0 GHz, 4.4 GHz and stock (3.5 GHz with 3.9 GHz turbo). The issue has existed in all scenarios.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i7-3770K MSI Z77 MPOWER ASUS Radeon R9 290X, 4GB G.Skill F3-2400C10Q-16GTX 16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD WD Caviar Black - 1TB Corsair Hydro Series H100i Windows 8.1 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung U28D590D 28inch 4K UHD Samsung U28D590D 28inch 4K UHD White Keycool 84 Cherry MX Red Seasonic X-1050 - 80+ GOLD 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian 900D Corsair Vengeance M65 - White SteelSeries 9HD ASUS Xonar STX Essence 
AudioAudioAudio
Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers Polk Buckle Over-ear Headphones Audio Technica AT2035 Condenser Microphone 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i7-3770K MSI Z77 MPOWER ASUS Radeon R9 290X, 4GB G.Skill F3-2400C10Q-16GTX 16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD WD Caviar Black - 1TB Corsair Hydro Series H100i Windows 8.1 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung U28D590D 28inch 4K UHD Samsung U28D590D 28inch 4K UHD White Keycool 84 Cherry MX Red Seasonic X-1050 - 80+ GOLD 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian 900D Corsair Vengeance M65 - White SteelSeries 9HD ASUS Xonar STX Essence 
AudioAudioAudio
Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers Polk Buckle Over-ear Headphones Audio Technica AT2035 Condenser Microphone 
  hide details  
Reply
post #21592 of 43993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozayz View Post

Here's another weird issue, most likely related... I have one fan, one, that continually speeds up and slows down. It's connected to the same fan distribution block (powered by PCI-E 6 pin connector) and just dims on and off (it's an LED fan).

I'm going to be taking the GPU into work tomorrow to have it tested by our warranty team... if it comes back okay, I'll take my entire rig in the following day.

either the the psu or temp issue. what are the vrm temps? you can use the render test in GPUZ to check. open three of them like so . . .




click on the "?" to open Render test and Start. Watch the temps closely. you may also need to lower your dpi to see both vrm temps using the slider on the right.

edit: even if you resolve this issue with a new psu i would not recommend keeping the stock cooler. reference is meant for watercooling. look at my temps . . . that is just one 120 rad and a fan. i use to idle at 45C with a stock cooler.

also, use DDU in safe mode to get rid of old drivers if you have not done so.
Edited by rdr09 - 4/27/14 at 5:45am
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 1050 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 212 10 64 32 1080 
PowerCase
700 912 
  hide details  
Reply
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 1050 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 212 10 64 32 1080 
PowerCase
700 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #21593 of 43993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozayz View Post

Here's another weird issue, most likely related... I have one fan, one, that continually speeds up and slows down. It's connected to the same fan distribution block (powered by PCI-E 6 pin connector) and just dims on and off (it's an LED fan).

I'm going to be taking the GPU into work tomorrow to have it tested by our warranty team... if it comes back okay, I'll take my entire rig in the following day.

can you see in the reliability monitor, are there any critical errors or logs or error codes? however usually when it shuts down it's PSU protector so I would also check cables if non of them is fried or stuck somewhere or got pushed back in to the plastic mold or something.

I also had these shutdowns but that was me pushing gpu/cpu oc to the psu limit in bf4.
Unit Zero
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K Maximus 7 Hero EVGA 1080 FTW iCX 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
5TB Caviar Black 2TB Caviar Green 1 TB Caviar Black 120 Gb Samsung Evo 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Ek Supremacy Evo Windows 8.1 Dell Ultrasharp 2713hm Corsair Vengeanve K75 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
XFX 850w + Gold Evolv TG Razer Deathadder Elite Asus Xonar Phoebus Solo 
Audio
AKG K550  
  hide details  
Reply
Unit Zero
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K Maximus 7 Hero EVGA 1080 FTW iCX 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
5TB Caviar Black 2TB Caviar Green 1 TB Caviar Black 120 Gb Samsung Evo 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Ek Supremacy Evo Windows 8.1 Dell Ultrasharp 2713hm Corsair Vengeanve K75 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
XFX 850w + Gold Evolv TG Razer Deathadder Elite Asus Xonar Phoebus Solo 
Audio
AKG K550  
  hide details  
Reply
post #21594 of 43993
why does my MSI r9 290 Gaming stuttering in dota 2? ive tried all the drivers. Will next 14.xx Official Non beta driver solve this issue?
post #21595 of 43993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozayz View Post

Everything is stock. I have tried running the CPU at 5.0 GHz, 4.4 GHz and stock (3.5 GHz with 3.9 GHz turbo). The issue has existed in all scenarios.

maybe a silly question

did you try to unplug that faulty looking fan? maybe it's causing a short and psu shuts down while in load.
Unit Zero
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K Maximus 7 Hero EVGA 1080 FTW iCX 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
5TB Caviar Black 2TB Caviar Green 1 TB Caviar Black 120 Gb Samsung Evo 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Ek Supremacy Evo Windows 8.1 Dell Ultrasharp 2713hm Corsair Vengeanve K75 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
XFX 850w + Gold Evolv TG Razer Deathadder Elite Asus Xonar Phoebus Solo 
Audio
AKG K550  
  hide details  
Reply
Unit Zero
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K Maximus 7 Hero EVGA 1080 FTW iCX 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
5TB Caviar Black 2TB Caviar Green 1 TB Caviar Black 120 Gb Samsung Evo 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Ek Supremacy Evo Windows 8.1 Dell Ultrasharp 2713hm Corsair Vengeanve K75 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
XFX 850w + Gold Evolv TG Razer Deathadder Elite Asus Xonar Phoebus Solo 
Audio
AKG K550  
  hide details  
Reply
post #21596 of 43993
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocityx View Post

can you see in the reliability monitor, are there any critical errors or logs or error codes? however usually when it shuts down it's PSU protector so I would also check cables if non of them is fried or stuck somewhere or got pushed back in to the plastic mold or something.

I also had these shutdowns but that was me pushing gpu/cpu oc to the psu limit in bf4.

As in these? http://i.imgur.com/AGjC5vt.png

No idea what you mean by reliability monitor :\
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

either the the psu or temp issue. what are the vrm temps? you can use the render test in GPUZ to check. open three of them like so . . .




click on the "?" to open Render test and Start. Watch the temps closely. you may also need to lower your dpi to see both vrm temps using the slider on the right.

edit: even if you resolve this issue with a new psu i would not recommend keeping the stock cooler. reference is meant for watercooling. look at my temps . . . that is just one 120 rad and a fan. i use to idle at 45C with a stock cooler.

also, use DDU in safe mode to get rid of old drivers if you have not done so.

Got the Render going, how do I open the 3 things or w/e you meant by that? oO



--

These VRM temps normal?

Edited by Rozayz - 4/27/14 at 5:53am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i7-3770K MSI Z77 MPOWER ASUS Radeon R9 290X, 4GB G.Skill F3-2400C10Q-16GTX 16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD WD Caviar Black - 1TB Corsair Hydro Series H100i Windows 8.1 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung U28D590D 28inch 4K UHD Samsung U28D590D 28inch 4K UHD White Keycool 84 Cherry MX Red Seasonic X-1050 - 80+ GOLD 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian 900D Corsair Vengeance M65 - White SteelSeries 9HD ASUS Xonar STX Essence 
AudioAudioAudio
Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers Polk Buckle Over-ear Headphones Audio Technica AT2035 Condenser Microphone 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i7-3770K MSI Z77 MPOWER ASUS Radeon R9 290X, 4GB G.Skill F3-2400C10Q-16GTX 16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD WD Caviar Black - 1TB Corsair Hydro Series H100i Windows 8.1 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung U28D590D 28inch 4K UHD Samsung U28D590D 28inch 4K UHD White Keycool 84 Cherry MX Red Seasonic X-1050 - 80+ GOLD 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian 900D Corsair Vengeance M65 - White SteelSeries 9HD ASUS Xonar STX Essence 
AudioAudioAudio
Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers Polk Buckle Over-ear Headphones Audio Technica AT2035 Condenser Microphone 
  hide details  
Reply
post #21597 of 43993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozayz View Post

As in these? http://i.imgur.com/AGjC5vt.png

No idea what you mean by reliability monitor :\

yea that one, it shows a kernel-power error 41 which means there was no clean shutdown meaning the power was shut so it's psu protecting itself. did you check that fan?

as for the kernel-pnp

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/3164.event-id-219-windows-kernel-pnp.aspx

yea those vrm temps are ok, in serious long gaming you could see these hitting 80-90 C.
Edited by velocityx - 4/27/14 at 5:57am
Unit Zero
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K Maximus 7 Hero EVGA 1080 FTW iCX 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
5TB Caviar Black 2TB Caviar Green 1 TB Caviar Black 120 Gb Samsung Evo 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Ek Supremacy Evo Windows 8.1 Dell Ultrasharp 2713hm Corsair Vengeanve K75 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
XFX 850w + Gold Evolv TG Razer Deathadder Elite Asus Xonar Phoebus Solo 
Audio
AKG K550  
  hide details  
Reply
Unit Zero
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K Maximus 7 Hero EVGA 1080 FTW iCX 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
5TB Caviar Black 2TB Caviar Green 1 TB Caviar Black 120 Gb Samsung Evo 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Ek Supremacy Evo Windows 8.1 Dell Ultrasharp 2713hm Corsair Vengeanve K75 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
XFX 850w + Gold Evolv TG Razer Deathadder Elite Asus Xonar Phoebus Solo 
Audio
AKG K550  
  hide details  
Reply
post #21598 of 43993
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocityx View Post

yea that one, it shows a kernel-power error 41 which means there was no clean shutdown meaning the power was shut so it's psu protecting itself. did you check that fan?

as for the kernel-pnp

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/3164.event-id-219-windows-kernel-pnp.aspx

yea those vrm temps are ok, in serious long gaming you could see these hitting 80-90 C.

I did. I also came across this little thing.



It's a BitFeenix Alchemy LED strip connector which I suspect was shorting on the floor of my 900D. It also sits next to my HDD cage/power cables for fans etc. I have left the fan plugged in for the time being but will unplug it if the issue persists.

HOPEFULLY that was the problem.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i7-3770K MSI Z77 MPOWER ASUS Radeon R9 290X, 4GB G.Skill F3-2400C10Q-16GTX 16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD WD Caviar Black - 1TB Corsair Hydro Series H100i Windows 8.1 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung U28D590D 28inch 4K UHD Samsung U28D590D 28inch 4K UHD White Keycool 84 Cherry MX Red Seasonic X-1050 - 80+ GOLD 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian 900D Corsair Vengeance M65 - White SteelSeries 9HD ASUS Xonar STX Essence 
AudioAudioAudio
Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers Polk Buckle Over-ear Headphones Audio Technica AT2035 Condenser Microphone 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i7-3770K MSI Z77 MPOWER ASUS Radeon R9 290X, 4GB G.Skill F3-2400C10Q-16GTX 16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD WD Caviar Black - 1TB Corsair Hydro Series H100i Windows 8.1 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung U28D590D 28inch 4K UHD Samsung U28D590D 28inch 4K UHD White Keycool 84 Cherry MX Red Seasonic X-1050 - 80+ GOLD 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian 900D Corsair Vengeance M65 - White SteelSeries 9HD ASUS Xonar STX Essence 
AudioAudioAudio
Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers Polk Buckle Over-ear Headphones Audio Technica AT2035 Condenser Microphone 
  hide details  
Reply
post #21599 of 43993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozayz View Post

As in these? http://i.imgur.com/AGjC5vt.png

No idea what you mean by reliability monitor :\
Got the Render going, how do I open the 3 things or w/e you meant by that? oO



--

These VRM temps normal?

your temps look really good like Velocity said. Let it run for at least 15 mins. this test seems to get similar temps as when i play BF4 but you got to let it run a bit longer. set the temp reading to show max readings.
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 1050 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 212 10 64 32 1080 
PowerCase
700 912 
  hide details  
Reply
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 1050 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 212 10 64 32 1080 
PowerCase
700 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #21600 of 43993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozayz View Post

I did. I also came across this little thing.



It's a BitFeenix Alchemy LED strip connector which I suspect was shorting on the floor of my 900D. It also sits next to my HDD cage/power cables for fans etc. I have left the fan plugged in for the time being but will unplug it if the issue persists.

HOPEFULLY that was the problem.

i suggest using electrical tape to cover exposed metal.
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 1050 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 212 10 64 32 1080 
PowerCase
700 912 
  hide details  
Reply
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 1050 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 212 10 64 32 1080 
PowerCase
700 912 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club