Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club - Page 3320

post #33191 of 43829
I started working on designing a full card fan shroud for my red-modded R9-290. My card is a reference pcb, so once I'm done I should have a custom shroud that would fit any reference 290/290x. This will feature mounting for a 120mm fan over the VRMs and will bolt on using the existing reference cooler mounting holes and a backplate (My Visiontek R9 290 came with a nice backplate that has threaded m3 0.5 mounting holes). This is intended to be made on a 3D printer, and is 2mm thick, so It shouldn't add too much weight. Here are some screen shots of what i've got done so far, let me know if you think there is any market value in this.....I may be talked into having extras made for the right price......




keep in mind, this is still an early rendering, still need to make an opening for the radiator hoses and the power connectors, and make the mounting brackets.........put some designs on it........lot of work left to do.
post #33192 of 43829
I downloaded 3dmark since I installed a 290 tri-x. The first time I ran fire-strike the test completed but the program froze my pc rite after the last test. I had to use my reset button to reboot. Second time I started up 3dmark, I tried to uncheck (show-demo) and my pc froze again. I was wondering if this is a known issue with an easy fix, or if I may be having instability issues? I just upgraded the card from a HD5570, and did a thorough uninstall/cleaning of previous AMD drivers, and then rebooted and ran ccleaner before I installed the Omega drivers. I also just installed a FX-3820E CPU.

All clocks are stock for CPU and GPU for now.

Using Auto on everything in my bios (latest release) for now.
Edited by pshootr - 12/10/14 at 11:13pm
Fire-Starter
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320E 4.6Ghz 1.380v "Load" Crosshair V Formula-Z Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC 1100/1400 16GB Trident-X 2400 2x8 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial MX-100 SSD 256GB OS/Programs/Games WD-Black 2TB Games/Programs WD-Green 3TB Data/Backup ASUS 24X DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cryorig R1-Ultimate Win 7 Ultimate x64 Auria 23.5 1080 Microsoft 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Rosewill Photon 850W Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Razor Deathadder Real-Tech HD Audio 7.1 (Onboard) 
  hide details  
Reply
Fire-Starter
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320E 4.6Ghz 1.380v "Load" Crosshair V Formula-Z Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC 1100/1400 16GB Trident-X 2400 2x8 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial MX-100 SSD 256GB OS/Programs/Games WD-Black 2TB Games/Programs WD-Green 3TB Data/Backup ASUS 24X DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cryorig R1-Ultimate Win 7 Ultimate x64 Auria 23.5 1080 Microsoft 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Rosewill Photon 850W Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Razor Deathadder Real-Tech HD Audio 7.1 (Onboard) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33193 of 43829
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshootr View Post

I downloaded 3dmark since I installed a 290 tri-x. The first time I ran fire-strike the test completed but the program froze my pc rite after the last test. I had to use my reset button to reboot. Second time I started up 3dmark, I tried to uncheck (show-demo) and my pc froze again. I was wondering if this is a known issue with an easy fix, or if I may be having instability issues? I just upgraded the card from a HD5570, and did a thorough uninstall/cleaning of previous AMD drivers, and then rebooted and ran ccleaner before I installed the Omega drivers. I also just installed a FX-3820E CPU.

All clocks are stock for CPU and GPU for now.

Using Auto on everything in my bios (latest release) for now.

what's the rest of your components?
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33194 of 43829
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshootr View Post

I just upgraded my old HD5570 with a Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC and scored hynix memory. biggrin.gif

That's a massive upgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regnitto View Post

I started working on designing a full card fan shroud for my red-modded R9-290. My card is a reference pcb, so once I'm done I should have a custom shroud that would fit any reference 290/290x. This will feature mounting for a 120mm fan over the VRMs and will bolt on using the existing reference cooler mounting holes and a backplate (My Visiontek R9 290 came with a nice backplate that has threaded m3 0.5 mounting holes). This is intended to be made on a 3D printer, and is 2mm thick, so It shouldn't add too much weight. Here are some screen shots of what i've got done so far, let me know if you think there is any market value in this.....I may be talked into having extras made for the right price......




keep in mind, this is still an early rendering, still need to make an opening for the radiator hoses and the power connectors, and make the mounting brackets.........put some designs on it........lot of work left to do.

Will need to improve a lot before I will like it.
But I do like the idea.

Interested in how it will turn out, keep us updated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshootr View Post

I downloaded 3dmark since I installed a 290 tri-x. The first time I ran fire-strike the test completed but the program froze my pc rite after the last test. I had to use my reset button to reboot. Second time I started up 3dmark, I tried to uncheck (show-demo) and my pc froze again. I was wondering if this is a known issue with an easy fix, or if I may be having instability issues? I just upgraded the card from a HD5570, and did a thorough uninstall/cleaning of previous AMD drivers, and then rebooted and ran ccleaner before I installed the Omega drivers. I also just installed a FX-3820E CPU.

All clocks are stock for CPU and GPU for now.

Using Auto on everything in my bios (latest release) for now.

If that info in your sig is updated, you are seriously under-powered.
A 430w unit is way too small for your build.

You got your problem right there.

If you've read the box of you 290 tri-x you'd have seen that the requirements are a 750w psu.

My vote goes to a SuperNOVA G2, for the value of it. Best bang for the buck IMHO.
Cheaper would be a M12II unit. Anything cheaper than that and you are sacrificing quality.

thumb.gif
Edited by Chopper1591 - 12/11/14 at 11:48am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k viii hero Sapphire r9 290 tri-x OC g.skill 3000 16gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Black Sata-3 64MB 840 evo DVD R/W Combo Alphacool 360 ut60 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK-FC R9-290X - Acetal+Nickel (Rev.2.0) EK-FC R9-290X Backplate - Black EK-FC R9-290X Reinforcer - Black Fittings and adapters 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Ek supremacy EVO ek 420 radiator ek revo d5 Bitspower acrylic tubing 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 pro BenQ XL2730Z Ducky One DKON1508S Corsair HX850i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Primo Mionix Castor Razer Goliathus Edifier C3X 
AudioOther
Asus xonar dx Xbox one gamepad 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k viii hero Sapphire r9 290 tri-x OC g.skill 3000 16gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Black Sata-3 64MB 840 evo DVD R/W Combo Alphacool 360 ut60 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK-FC R9-290X - Acetal+Nickel (Rev.2.0) EK-FC R9-290X Backplate - Black EK-FC R9-290X Reinforcer - Black Fittings and adapters 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Ek supremacy EVO ek 420 radiator ek revo d5 Bitspower acrylic tubing 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 pro BenQ XL2730Z Ducky One DKON1508S Corsair HX850i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Primo Mionix Castor Razer Goliathus Edifier C3X 
AudioOther
Asus xonar dx Xbox one gamepad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33195 of 43829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper1591 View Post

You got your problem right there.

If you've read the box of you 290 tri-x you'd have seen that the requirements are a 750w psu.

My vote goes to a SuperNOVA G2, for the value of it. Best bang for the buck IMHO.
Cheaper would be a M12II unit. Anything cheaper than that and you are sacrificing quality.

thumb.gif

I agree: it's very likely a power issue.

But the minimum 750W requirement is a recommendation manufacturers do with a VERY wide margin, to account for all types of crappy components.

For instance: the Seasonic M12II you mentioned is a very good psu, for it's price (I've used the 430W version in a HTPC). The 620W version would power his rig with more than enough juice. The 520 might, also, be up for the job, but that would be too narrow a margin for my personal liking to recommend to anyone -- I might do it for myself, but when giving advice I prefer to keep avarage use closer to 50%.

Before I bought my platinum XP2, I powered my rig with the Seasonic 560-X. The only times I recall my watt meter at the wall going past 400W were when I ran stuff like FurMark.

Long story short: with a good quality PSU, don't put too much stock in minimum PSU requirements.
Gaming Rig
(14 items)
 
HTPC
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
RyZen 5 1600X MSI B350M Mortar Arctic Sapphire R9 290 Corsair LPX 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
samsung 840 Thermalright True Spirit 140 Power Arctic Twin Turbo II & Gelid VRM enhancement ki... Win 10 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG248QE Logitech K360 SeaSonic 860xp2 Phantom 630 
Mouse
Corsair M90 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5350 Asrock AM1H-ITX IGP: AMD R3 Crucial Value 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Sansung 840 WD30EFRX Win 7 64 bit LG 50LB670V-ZA 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Rapoo E9070 Wireless Ultra Slim keyboard Corsair 250D Logitech G602 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(14 items)
 
HTPC
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
RyZen 5 1600X MSI B350M Mortar Arctic Sapphire R9 290 Corsair LPX 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
samsung 840 Thermalright True Spirit 140 Power Arctic Twin Turbo II & Gelid VRM enhancement ki... Win 10 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG248QE Logitech K360 SeaSonic 860xp2 Phantom 630 
Mouse
Corsair M90 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5350 Asrock AM1H-ITX IGP: AMD R3 Crucial Value 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Sansung 840 WD30EFRX Win 7 64 bit LG 50LB670V-ZA 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Rapoo E9070 Wireless Ultra Slim keyboard Corsair 250D Logitech G602 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33196 of 43829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper1591 View Post


Will need to improve a lot before I will like it.
But I do like the idea.

Interested in how it will turn out, keep us updated.

that was just a couple hrs of dicking around in a program I've never used before. It will need to improve a lot before I will like it enough to pay to have it 3D printed, lol. Just wanted to throw the concept up and see what people think of the idea. thanks for the input and I will post more pics of the concept as it comes along!
post #33197 of 43829
But why bother? I'm not sure anyone or the market has asked for a full shroud? And especially with a specific product on the market like the Corsair HG10 that addresses all the problems that have plagued CLC mod setups in the past. I think you've been beat to the punch by the HG10.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33198 of 43829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regnitto View Post

I started working on designing a full card fan shroud for my red-modded R9-290. My card is a reference pcb, so once I'm done I should have a custom shroud that would fit any reference 290/290x. This will feature mounting for a 120mm fan over the VRMs and will bolt on using the existing reference cooler mounting holes and a backplate (My Visiontek R9 290 came with a nice backplate that has threaded m3 0.5 mounting holes). This is intended to be made on a 3D printer, and is 2mm thick, so It shouldn't add too much weight. Here are some screen shots of what i've got done so far, let me know if you think there is any market value in this.....I may be talked into having extras made for the right price......




keep in mind, this is still an early rendering, still need to make an opening for the radiator hoses and the power connectors, and make the mounting brackets.........put some designs on it........lot of work left to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

But why bother? I'm not sure anyone or the market has asked for a full shroud? And especially with a specific product on the market like the Corsair HG10 that addresses all the problems that have plagued CLC mod setups in the past. I think you've been beat to the punch by the HG10.

axesmiley.png

Maybe because he wanted it? Which kinda means someone else might want one too?
     
Reply
     
Reply
post #33199 of 43829
So, I now have an XFX 290X DD 8GB card. I'm wondering if an HG10 will fit it, there are no memory modules on the back so I'm assuming they just used double density packages on the front and left the rest alone. I might try and take it apart tomorrow and see whats up with the PCB.
post #33200 of 43829
Quote:
Originally Posted by battleaxe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

No one asked for your opinion. rolleyes.gif

No one asked for yours either, now did they?

And by the way, ever notice that my results were indeed legitimate? How's that crow taste?


I asked him a question, now go away. doh.gif

You're the genius who claimed silly temps right? Ah I remember now.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club