Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club - Page 4014

post #40131 of 43977
Hi guys! I just bought a Sapphire 290X 8GB! Got a pretty decent deal on it. Hopefully I can play Witcher 3 at better frames. ^_^
The Beginning.
(18 items)
 
Work Test Machine
(10 items)
 
Toshi
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8120 GA-990FXA-UD3 Sapphire Tri-X R9 290X 8GB GDDR5 OC Edition 16GB G.Skill 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate 500GB 7200rpm 6Gb/s Seagate 1TB 7200rpm 6Gb/s Samsung 850 PRO 256GB Seagate 2TB 7200rpm 6Gb/s 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sony Optiarc Corsair H60 Win7HP64bit/Ubuntu 14.04LTS HP 2310m 1080p @60Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Seasonic X750 Gold Cooler Master Storm Stryker Razer Mamba 2012 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer Destructor 2 BF4 Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 4690k GA-Z97-HD3 MSI HD7950 3GBGDDR5 OC Twin Frozr edition 12GBs G.SKILL 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
Seagate 500GB 7200RPM  DELL Generic Windows 10 Professional 64bit / Mint 17.3 64bit Seasonic x650 
CaseAudio
Cooler Master Elite 430 Realtek 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A8-6410 Toshiba something idk. AMD R5 1GBGDDR5 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250GB Samsung 850 SSD Toshiba DVD-RW Windows 10 Pro Terrible. 
KeyboardPowerMouseAudio
Disgusting. Ok. Toshiba Trackbad with horrible buttons. Realtek 
  hide details  
Reply
The Beginning.
(18 items)
 
Work Test Machine
(10 items)
 
Toshi
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8120 GA-990FXA-UD3 Sapphire Tri-X R9 290X 8GB GDDR5 OC Edition 16GB G.Skill 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate 500GB 7200rpm 6Gb/s Seagate 1TB 7200rpm 6Gb/s Samsung 850 PRO 256GB Seagate 2TB 7200rpm 6Gb/s 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sony Optiarc Corsair H60 Win7HP64bit/Ubuntu 14.04LTS HP 2310m 1080p @60Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Seasonic X750 Gold Cooler Master Storm Stryker Razer Mamba 2012 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer Destructor 2 BF4 Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 4690k GA-Z97-HD3 MSI HD7950 3GBGDDR5 OC Twin Frozr edition 12GBs G.SKILL 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
Seagate 500GB 7200RPM  DELL Generic Windows 10 Professional 64bit / Mint 17.3 64bit Seasonic x650 
CaseAudio
Cooler Master Elite 430 Realtek 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A8-6410 Toshiba something idk. AMD R5 1GBGDDR5 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250GB Samsung 850 SSD Toshiba DVD-RW Windows 10 Pro Terrible. 
KeyboardPowerMouseAudio
Disgusting. Ok. Toshiba Trackbad with horrible buttons. Realtek 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40132 of 43977
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtag7 View Post

Hi guys! I just bought a Sapphire 290X 8GB! Got a pretty decent deal on it. Hopefully I can play Witcher 3 at better frames. ^_^

Nice buy! Which model/cooler?
post #40133 of 43977
anybody here plays GTA V?|

i cant get mine stable @60 fps w/ i3-4150 and 290 Tri-X

mostly dips into the 40fps range when i am doing fast driving in town, settings were mixed between high/very high, advanced settings are turned off, it's fluctuating between the 50-60 range most of the time though

please enlighten
post #40134 of 43977
Quote:
Originally Posted by serave View Post

anybody here plays GTA V?|

i cant get mine stable @60 fps w/ i3-4150 and 290 Tri-X

mostly dips into the 40fps range when i am doing fast driving in town, settings were mixed between high/very high, advanced settings are turned off, it's fluctuating between the 50-60 range most of the time though

please enlighten

It's probably you CPU which is limiting your FPS. I had same experience with my previous CPU (G3258).

I'm now running on almost maxed settings (advanced settings off) with 290 and i5-4590 @50-60fps. No dips in framerate.
post #40135 of 43977
Quote:
Originally Posted by serave View Post

anybody here plays GTA V?|

i cant get mine stable @60 fps w/ i3-4150 and 290 Tri-X

mostly dips into the 40fps range when i am doing fast driving in town, settings were mixed between high/very high, advanced settings are turned off, it's fluctuating between the 50-60 range most of the time though

please enlighten


Your CPU is causing the issue.
post #40136 of 43977
My 290x's in crossfire are utterly useless. I get better performance with just one card except for benchmark programs like 3d Mark. I guess 1080p is not strong point of these cards. Switched from a gtx 770 sli set up. Followed other threads instructions such as disabling ulps etc. Gpu usage is all over the place. Running custom ran curve so the cards are loud but not throttling due to temps.
post #40137 of 43977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shweller View Post

My 290x's in crossfire are utterly useless. I get better performance with just one card except for benchmark programs like 3d Mark. I guess 1080p is not strong point of these cards. Switched from a gtx 770 sli set up. Followed other threads instructions such as disabling ulps etc. Gpu usage is all over the place. Running custom ran curve so the cards are loud but not throttling due to temps.

if with an i5 combined with 1080 . . . yes, they would be useless. when i had only one 290 . . . i keep my HT off to keep my water cooler. with 2 290s, i don't even think of turning off HT anymore. i have to increase my radiator to compensate for the heat.

with 2 7900 cards, yes, i was able to turn HT off.
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 1050 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 212 10 64 32 1080 
PowerCase
700 912 
  hide details  
Reply
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 1050 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 212 10 64 32 1080 
PowerCase
700 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40138 of 43977


post #40139 of 43977
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

if with an i5 combined with 1080 . . . yes, they would be useless. when i had only one 290 . . . i keep my HT off to keep my water cooler. with 2 290s, i don't even think of turning off HT anymore. i have to increase my radiator to compensate for the heat.

with 2 7900 cards, yes, i was able to turn HT off.
HT?
post #40140 of 43977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shweller View Post

HT?
hyper Threading
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club