Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club - Page 4015

post #40141 of 43971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shweller View Post

HT?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyzzz View Post

hyper Threading

CPU hyperthreading (Intel)

1479.gif
post #40142 of 43971
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOMECINEMA-PC View Post

CPU hyperthreading (Intel)

1479.gif
not to be confused with ht link for pci express communication
NEWBIE
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD 8320e Asus Sabertooth R2.0 xfx r9 290 xfx r9 290 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill rip jaws  Samsung 840 Pro WD BLUE 64MB Cache Ocz vertex 3 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech h220x  alphacool nexxos st30 280mm radiator alphacool coolplex pro LT10 100mm reservoir Swiftech h220 rad only 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64 Bit ENTERPRISE edition Acer 23" 1080p  asus 19" Dell Media Center  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Rosewill Photon 1200W Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech G5 or Steel Series MW2 edition Generic Cheapy 
AudioAudioAudio
GEMINI HSR-1000 Logitech 5.1 surround ZALMAN clip on mic 
  hide details  
Reply
NEWBIE
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD 8320e Asus Sabertooth R2.0 xfx r9 290 xfx r9 290 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill rip jaws  Samsung 840 Pro WD BLUE 64MB Cache Ocz vertex 3 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech h220x  alphacool nexxos st30 280mm radiator alphacool coolplex pro LT10 100mm reservoir Swiftech h220 rad only 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64 Bit ENTERPRISE edition Acer 23" 1080p  asus 19" Dell Media Center  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Rosewill Photon 1200W Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech G5 or Steel Series MW2 edition Generic Cheapy 
AudioAudioAudio
GEMINI HSR-1000 Logitech 5.1 surround ZALMAN clip on mic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40143 of 43971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shweller View Post

My 290x's in crossfire are utterly useless. I get better performance with just one card except for benchmark programs like 3d Mark. I guess 1080p is not strong point of these cards. Switched from a gtx 770 sli set up. Followed other threads instructions such as disabling ulps etc. Gpu usage is all over the place. Running custom ran curve so the cards are loud but not throttling due to temps.

I'm running crossfire 290's with an i5-4570 @ 3.7 and I get really good performance in most games, except those that don't play nice with crossfire (witcher 3, wolfenstien new order etc.).

This much GPU horsepower likes to be worked and loaded up. 1080p gaming is not it's forte - though it should still run smooth, regardless. Try enabling VSR (virtual super resolution) and running your games at 1440p (or higher). I run most of my games at 1440p and anywhere from high to maxed settings. In Project Cars at 1440 high settings with DS4x AA I get upwards of 80+ fps, 60 minimum. GTA-V at 1440 very high with some advanced settings on, it runs at 70+ fps and rarely ever dips below 60. Mad Max at 1440 maxed settings just flies along at over 120fps 95% of the time. The list goes on.

Make sure you have the latest drivers installed and that it was a clean install (properly uninstalled the old drivers with DDU first). Make sure both cards are properly synced in MSI AB (it's an option box you have to select in AB settings). Make sure overdrive is disabled in CCC (catalyst control center) and crank the power limit to +50% in AB (yes, even if you're not OCing). The reason for that is some 290's still throttle even though they are nowhere near the thermal limit due to powertune interfering. One of my 290's does this and this is how I got around that issue. If both cards aren't running the exact same clocks, it will noticeably hinder performance.
Jetstream
(21 items)
 
Stalker v2.0
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770K Asus Z97-E Zotac GTX 1070 FE Kingston Hyper-X Black 2x4GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
AData XPGv1 2x4GB Samsung 840 120GB SSD Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 x2 Deepcool Lucifer v2 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Kraken G12 Corsair H55 Windows 10 Asus VS247HP 24" 1080p 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 19" 900p Corsair K70  EVGA GS850 InWin 303 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Razer Naga Epic 2014 Edition Steelseries  Steel Series Siberia V2 Corsair K70 MX-Red 
Other
Logitech G27 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium G3258 @3.8 Gigabyte GA-H87N Wifi Asus GTX 460 DCU-Top 1GB GDDR5 AData XPG 2x4GB 1600 
Hard DrivePowerCase
AData SP600 128GB Cooler Master V650  Moddified 2006 HP Pavilion Desktop 
  hide details  
Reply
Jetstream
(21 items)
 
Stalker v2.0
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770K Asus Z97-E Zotac GTX 1070 FE Kingston Hyper-X Black 2x4GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
AData XPGv1 2x4GB Samsung 840 120GB SSD Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 x2 Deepcool Lucifer v2 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Kraken G12 Corsair H55 Windows 10 Asus VS247HP 24" 1080p 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 19" 900p Corsair K70  EVGA GS850 InWin 303 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Razer Naga Epic 2014 Edition Steelseries  Steel Series Siberia V2 Corsair K70 MX-Red 
Other
Logitech G27 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium G3258 @3.8 Gigabyte GA-H87N Wifi Asus GTX 460 DCU-Top 1GB GDDR5 AData XPG 2x4GB 1600 
Hard DrivePowerCase
AData SP600 128GB Cooler Master V650  Moddified 2006 HP Pavilion Desktop 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40144 of 43971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shweller View Post

My 290x's in crossfire are utterly useless. I get better performance with just one card except for benchmark programs like 3d Mark. I guess 1080p is not strong point of these cards. Switched from a gtx 770 sli set up. Followed other threads instructions such as disabling ulps etc. Gpu usage is all over the place. Running custom ran curve so the cards are loud but not throttling due to temps.
Depending on the games, at 1080p & crossfire, gpu usage will fluctuating a lot. This however doesn't means the cards are throttling. If you get fluctuating core frequency & FPS (Frames Per Second) dipped from time to time, then the cards are throttling. The higher the resolution, the lesser the usage fluctuation will be. If you use MSI AB which is abbreviation for MSI AfterBurner, enable unified gpu usage monitoring in the settings window.

What games did you play? The games support crossfire? Did you get worst FPS in crossfire or no change in FPS at all?

MSI AB which is abbreviation for MSI AfterBurner come with RivaTuner which you can use to turn on FPS counter in games.
Edited by kizwan - 11/4/15 at 7:23am
Superhero Effect
(26 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3820 @4.7GHz Asus P9X79 PRO 2 x Sapphire R9 290 4GB GDDR5 Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9 (16GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD WD6400AAVS 640GB 8MB SATA-II Caviar Green 2 x Plextor PX-M5S 128GB (RAID0) Liteon 12x Blu-ray Drive COMBO 2 x (EK-FC R9-290X - Acetal, EK-FC R9-290X Back... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Koolance Ball Valve VLV-BL1X2 XSPC D5 Dual Bay Reservoir/Pump Combo Hardware Labs Black Ice GT Stealth 360mm Hardware Labs Black Ice SR-1 120 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC EX240 2x120mm radiator 5 x Corsair SP120 High Performance 2 x Corsair SP120 PWM High Performance XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
NZXT Sentry 2 fan controller PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 10ft Tubing - 7/16in. ID... Windows 10 Home 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster B2330H 23" 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Philips 236G3DHSB 3D LCD LED 23" Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Seasonic X-1050 1050W Corsair Vengeance C70 Mid-Tower Gaming Case Gun... 
MouseAudio
Razer Imperator 2012 Realtek ALC898 8-Channel High Definition Audio ... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 720QM Dell Studio 1557 Intel PM55 ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 Series Samsung 2GB DDR3-1333 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 2GB DDR3-1333 Seagate ST9320325AS HL-DT-ST_DVD+-RW_GA11N Fan + Copper + Aluminum + Shin-Etsu G751 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 15.6" LCD (WXGA) InnoLux BT156GW01 Dell Studio 1557 Keyboard Dell 90W AC Adapter 
Audio
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC 
  hide details  
Reply
Superhero Effect
(26 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3820 @4.7GHz Asus P9X79 PRO 2 x Sapphire R9 290 4GB GDDR5 Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9 (16GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD WD6400AAVS 640GB 8MB SATA-II Caviar Green 2 x Plextor PX-M5S 128GB (RAID0) Liteon 12x Blu-ray Drive COMBO 2 x (EK-FC R9-290X - Acetal, EK-FC R9-290X Back... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Koolance Ball Valve VLV-BL1X2 XSPC D5 Dual Bay Reservoir/Pump Combo Hardware Labs Black Ice GT Stealth 360mm Hardware Labs Black Ice SR-1 120 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC EX240 2x120mm radiator 5 x Corsair SP120 High Performance 2 x Corsair SP120 PWM High Performance XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
NZXT Sentry 2 fan controller PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 10ft Tubing - 7/16in. ID... Windows 10 Home 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster B2330H 23" 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Philips 236G3DHSB 3D LCD LED 23" Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Seasonic X-1050 1050W Corsair Vengeance C70 Mid-Tower Gaming Case Gun... 
MouseAudio
Razer Imperator 2012 Realtek ALC898 8-Channel High Definition Audio ... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 720QM Dell Studio 1557 Intel PM55 ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 Series Samsung 2GB DDR3-1333 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 2GB DDR3-1333 Seagate ST9320325AS HL-DT-ST_DVD+-RW_GA11N Fan + Copper + Aluminum + Shin-Etsu G751 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 15.6" LCD (WXGA) InnoLux BT156GW01 Dell Studio 1557 Keyboard Dell 90W AC Adapter 
Audio
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40145 of 43971
Thank you everyone for the help. In general all games including bf4 & gtav. I run +30 on AB. Graphs show gpu usage is inconsistent. GTAV will be smooth then stuter for a second like it froze then smooth again. My sli set up was always smooth and both gpus ran at 100%. The 290x are beast. Gtav with crossfire disabled and amd optimal settings gives me 60+ fps. Only get 40 fps with crossfire enabled. I will play around with resolution settings like suggested. All other settings that were mentioned were already in place at tge time of my results.
post #40146 of 43971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shweller View Post

Thank you everyone for the help. In general all games including bf4 & gtav. I run +30 on AB. Graphs show gpu usage is inconsistent. GTAV will be smooth then stuter for a second like it froze then smooth again. My sli set up was always smooth and both gpus ran at 100%. The 290x are beast. Gtav with crossfire disabled and amd optimal settings gives me 60+ fps. Only get 40 fps with crossfire enabled. I will play around with resolution settings like suggested. All other settings that were mentioned were already in place at tge time of my results.
What is the drivers version that you installed? If I'm not mistaken someone did complain the crossfire in BF4 was broken problematic with 15.7.1 drivers & the latest 15.10 beta solved it.
Edited by kizwan - 11/4/15 at 7:42am
Superhero Effect
(26 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3820 @4.7GHz Asus P9X79 PRO 2 x Sapphire R9 290 4GB GDDR5 Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9 (16GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD WD6400AAVS 640GB 8MB SATA-II Caviar Green 2 x Plextor PX-M5S 128GB (RAID0) Liteon 12x Blu-ray Drive COMBO 2 x (EK-FC R9-290X - Acetal, EK-FC R9-290X Back... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Koolance Ball Valve VLV-BL1X2 XSPC D5 Dual Bay Reservoir/Pump Combo Hardware Labs Black Ice GT Stealth 360mm Hardware Labs Black Ice SR-1 120 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC EX240 2x120mm radiator 5 x Corsair SP120 High Performance 2 x Corsair SP120 PWM High Performance XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
NZXT Sentry 2 fan controller PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 10ft Tubing - 7/16in. ID... Windows 10 Home 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster B2330H 23" 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Philips 236G3DHSB 3D LCD LED 23" Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Seasonic X-1050 1050W Corsair Vengeance C70 Mid-Tower Gaming Case Gun... 
MouseAudio
Razer Imperator 2012 Realtek ALC898 8-Channel High Definition Audio ... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 720QM Dell Studio 1557 Intel PM55 ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 Series Samsung 2GB DDR3-1333 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 2GB DDR3-1333 Seagate ST9320325AS HL-DT-ST_DVD+-RW_GA11N Fan + Copper + Aluminum + Shin-Etsu G751 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 15.6" LCD (WXGA) InnoLux BT156GW01 Dell Studio 1557 Keyboard Dell 90W AC Adapter 
Audio
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC 
  hide details  
Reply
Superhero Effect
(26 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3820 @4.7GHz Asus P9X79 PRO 2 x Sapphire R9 290 4GB GDDR5 Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9 (16GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD WD6400AAVS 640GB 8MB SATA-II Caviar Green 2 x Plextor PX-M5S 128GB (RAID0) Liteon 12x Blu-ray Drive COMBO 2 x (EK-FC R9-290X - Acetal, EK-FC R9-290X Back... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Koolance Ball Valve VLV-BL1X2 XSPC D5 Dual Bay Reservoir/Pump Combo Hardware Labs Black Ice GT Stealth 360mm Hardware Labs Black Ice SR-1 120 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC EX240 2x120mm radiator 5 x Corsair SP120 High Performance 2 x Corsair SP120 PWM High Performance XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
NZXT Sentry 2 fan controller PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 10ft Tubing - 7/16in. ID... Windows 10 Home 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster B2330H 23" 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Philips 236G3DHSB 3D LCD LED 23" Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Seasonic X-1050 1050W Corsair Vengeance C70 Mid-Tower Gaming Case Gun... 
MouseAudio
Razer Imperator 2012 Realtek ALC898 8-Channel High Definition Audio ... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 720QM Dell Studio 1557 Intel PM55 ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 Series Samsung 2GB DDR3-1333 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 2GB DDR3-1333 Seagate ST9320325AS HL-DT-ST_DVD+-RW_GA11N Fan + Copper + Aluminum + Shin-Etsu G751 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 15.6" LCD (WXGA) InnoLux BT156GW01 Dell Studio 1557 Keyboard Dell 90W AC Adapter 
Audio
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40147 of 43971
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOMECINEMA-PC View Post



Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shweller View Post

HT?

Like others said, HT stands for hyper threading present on i7s. Turn it off and basically turns into an i5. You prolly heard of AMD infamous CPU overhead. It could be a contributing factor and lack of crossfire support for games, especially from ubi and gameworks.

Anyways, here is an example of HT off on my i7 using crossfire HD7900 cars and a single 290 in BF3 . . .



Spikes during huge explosions and stuff. Crossfire 7900 is a bit faster than a single 290.
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40148 of 43971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shweller View Post

Thank you everyone for the help. In general all games including bf4 & gtav. I run +30 on AB. Graphs show gpu usage is inconsistent. GTAV will be smooth then stuter for a second like it froze then smooth again. My sli set up was always smooth and both gpus ran at 100%. The 290x are beast. Gtav with crossfire disabled and amd optimal settings gives me 60+ fps. Only get 40 fps with crossfire enabled. I will play around with resolution settings like suggested. All other settings that were mentioned were already in place at tge time of my results.

Crossfire doesn't always take, I ran into your same issue yesty when I was getting 45 fps in BF3 mp. Closeout game, Go into CCC disabe CF re-enable it and restart AB if you have it running and apply all the settings that have been recommended and add a slight overclock eg 20hz to the gpu to "wake it up". When I had em at stock one was at idle speed 300/150 and that was causing the low fps.
FX Klasse
(25 items)
 
Warrior King
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX 8350 SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 MSI R9 290X Lightning MSI R9 290X Lightning 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Corsair  Corsair  g.skill sniper gaming series 16gb 2400mhz ddr3 WD 1 TB  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD 320 GB OCZ vertex 3 64GB Samsung 840 Pro 128GB Seagate 250 GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial MX300 525 GB Samsung SH-S223L Cooler Master Glacer 240l Windows 8.1 Pro N 64 bit 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit AOC 2462w Lenovo L2261wA Razer Lycosa 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Antec HCG 750 Rosewill Future corsair vengeance m65 Turtle Beach Montego DDL 
Other
Altec Lansing ADA 995 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5775c Asus Z97 Deluxe Iris Pro 6200 G. Skill Trident X 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Blue 320 Crucial MX300 525GB Cooler master hyper 212 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
AOC 24 Steelseries Apex 350 Antec truepower trio 550w Corsair M65 
Mouse Pad
AMD Red Team Swag 
  hide details  
Reply
FX Klasse
(25 items)
 
Warrior King
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX 8350 SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 MSI R9 290X Lightning MSI R9 290X Lightning 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Corsair  Corsair  g.skill sniper gaming series 16gb 2400mhz ddr3 WD 1 TB  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD 320 GB OCZ vertex 3 64GB Samsung 840 Pro 128GB Seagate 250 GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial MX300 525 GB Samsung SH-S223L Cooler Master Glacer 240l Windows 8.1 Pro N 64 bit 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit AOC 2462w Lenovo L2261wA Razer Lycosa 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Antec HCG 750 Rosewill Future corsair vengeance m65 Turtle Beach Montego DDL 
Other
Altec Lansing ADA 995 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5775c Asus Z97 Deluxe Iris Pro 6200 G. Skill Trident X 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Blue 320 Crucial MX300 525GB Cooler master hyper 212 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
AOC 24 Steelseries Apex 350 Antec truepower trio 550w Corsair M65 
Mouse Pad
AMD Red Team Swag 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40149 of 43971
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggiddi View Post

Crossfire doesn't always take, I ran into your same issue yesty when I was getting 45 fps in BF3 mp. Closeout game, Go into CCC disabe CF re-enable it and restart AB if you have it running and apply all the settings that have been recommended and add a slight overclock eg 20hz to the gpu to "wake it up". When I had em at stock one was at idle speed 300/150 and that was causing the low fps.

I discovered getting crossfire to work properly on 290's can be a bit tricky. There are a lot of little things/tweaks that sometimes need to be done to get it working "just right".

When I first installed my 2nd 290 it took me a few days to figure everything out and start seeing the proper performance gains it should be providing. Until I got it working right, I did see the same or worse performance in a number of games. The biggest issues for me was getting both cards clocking the same and preventing power tune from causing one of my cards to down-clock even though it was nowhere near thermal limit. Now that I have it all figured out and setup correctly, both my cards clock down to 300/150 at idle with the primary card clocking up a little from time to time depending on desktop load. In games, both clock up together to 947/1250 (stock) and they both stay glued there the whole time, regardless of load.

Here's what I would suggest for @Shweller to try: (This is the process I follow to update drivers and ensure my crossfire setup works properly thereafter)

-Download latest version of DDU.
-Download latest AMD drivers (15.10 beta) from AMD's support website.
-Exit MSI AB (close it down)
-Uninstall your current AMD drivers via add/remove programs in control panel.
-Shut PC down (don't restart). With PC shut down, unplug the PCIe power cables from the secondary card but leave the card installed. The PC just simply won't detect it.
-Power up PC and run DDU - it will ask you to restart in safemode, do it and follow the steps to completely remove all AMD software. Then restart PC.
-When PC boots back into windows, run and install the new AMD drivers (15.10). Restart as prompted.
-After restart with the new drivers installed, check and make sure it installed correctly (open CCC (catalyst control center) and check version number etc.) If everything looks good, shut the PC down again.
-Kill the power switch on the PSU just to be safe, wait ~10-15 seconds, then reconnect the PCIe power cables to the secondary card. Turn the PSU back on and power up the machine.
-When you get back into windows give it a minute to detect the 2nd card. If it doesn't open a prompt to enable crossfireX, open up CCC and enable Crossfire. (make sure you also check the box that says "enable crossfire even for applications that have no crossfire profile).
-While you're in CCC, go to the performance section and disable overdrive.
-Next, open up MSI AB and go into settings. Check the box to sync the cards so they both run at the same clocks. You can check the box to disable ULPS, but I left mine enabled and it's been fine (it's an optional thing). Apply and close the settings.
-In AB, set the power limit to +50% (as high as it will go). No harm will come from doing this. It will just make sure power tune doesn't downclock when it shouldn't. Set the GPU core clock to 947 (or what ever is stock for your cards) and the same for the memory - 1250 or what ever it should be. Click apply and then set that as profile #1 and click the little dot that says "apply OC on startup".
-Now, go run a 3D application (I like using unigine valley as a quick easy test) and watch your GPU clocks (if you have a 2nd display watch AB on the 2nd screen, if not, just alt-tab out while the program is running and look back to see what they were doing. Just keep in mind; some applications will drop out of crossfire mode (drop down to one card) when you alt-tab out and back in (valley does this)). They should sit at 300/150 at idle and ramp up to max stock clocks under load. If both cards ramp up together and stay that way, you should be good to go. GPU load should also be matched on both cards.

Let me know if that does the trick or if you have any trouble with any of those steps. Crossfire can be finicky and the silliest little thing(s) can cause undesirable performance if it's not working just right.

Clear as mud? thumb.gif
Edited by MEC-777 - 11/4/15 at 12:41pm
Jetstream
(21 items)
 
Stalker v2.0
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770K Asus Z97-E Zotac GTX 1070 FE Kingston Hyper-X Black 2x4GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
AData XPGv1 2x4GB Samsung 840 120GB SSD Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 x2 Deepcool Lucifer v2 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Kraken G12 Corsair H55 Windows 10 Asus VS247HP 24" 1080p 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 19" 900p Corsair K70  EVGA GS850 InWin 303 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Razer Naga Epic 2014 Edition Steelseries  Steel Series Siberia V2 Corsair K70 MX-Red 
Other
Logitech G27 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium G3258 @3.8 Gigabyte GA-H87N Wifi Asus GTX 460 DCU-Top 1GB GDDR5 AData XPG 2x4GB 1600 
Hard DrivePowerCase
AData SP600 128GB Cooler Master V650  Moddified 2006 HP Pavilion Desktop 
  hide details  
Reply
Jetstream
(21 items)
 
Stalker v2.0
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770K Asus Z97-E Zotac GTX 1070 FE Kingston Hyper-X Black 2x4GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
AData XPGv1 2x4GB Samsung 840 120GB SSD Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 x2 Deepcool Lucifer v2 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Kraken G12 Corsair H55 Windows 10 Asus VS247HP 24" 1080p 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 19" 900p Corsair K70  EVGA GS850 InWin 303 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Razer Naga Epic 2014 Edition Steelseries  Steel Series Siberia V2 Corsair K70 MX-Red 
Other
Logitech G27 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium G3258 @3.8 Gigabyte GA-H87N Wifi Asus GTX 460 DCU-Top 1GB GDDR5 AData XPG 2x4GB 1600 
Hard DrivePowerCase
AData SP600 128GB Cooler Master V650  Moddified 2006 HP Pavilion Desktop 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40150 of 43971
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEC-777 View Post

I discovered getting crossfire to work properly on 290's can be a bit tricky. There are a lot of little things/tweaks that sometimes need to be done to get it working "just right".

When I first installed my 2nd 290 it took me a few days to figure everything out and start seeing the proper performance gains it should be providing. Until I got it working right, I did see the same or worse performance in a number of games. The biggest issues for me was getting both cards clocking the same and preventing power tune from causing one of my cards to down-clock even though it was nowhere near thermal limit. Now that I have it all figured out and setup correctly, both my cards clock down to 300/150 at idle with the primary card clocking up a little from time to time depending on desktop load. In games, both clock up together to 947/1250 (stock) and they both stay glued there the whole time, regardless of load.

Here's what I would suggest for @Shweller to try: (This is the process I follow to update drivers and ensure my crossfire setup works properly thereafter)

-Download latest version of DDU.
-Download latest AMD drivers (15.10 beta) from AMD's support website.
-Exit MSI AB (close it down)
-Uninstall your current AMD drivers via add/remove programs in control panel.
-Shut PC down (don't restart). With PC shut down, unplug the PCIe power cables from the secondary card but leave the card installed. The PC just simply won't detect it.
-Power up PC and run DDU - it will ask you to restart in safemode, do it and follow the steps to completely remove all AMD software. Then restart PC.
-When PC boots back into windows, run and install the new AMD drivers (15.10). Restart as prompted.
-After restart with the new drivers installed, check and make sure it installed correctly (open CCC (catalyst control center) and check version number etc.) If everything looks good, shut the PC down again.
-Kill the power switch on the PSU just to be safe, wait ~10-15 seconds, then reconnect the PCIe power cables to the secondary card. Turn the PSU back on and power up the machine.
-When you get back into windows give it a minute to detect the 2nd card. If it doesn't open a prompt to enable crossfireX, open up CCC and enable Crossfire. (make sure you also check the box that says "enable crossfire even for applications that have no crossfire profile).
-While you're in CCC, go to the performance section and disable overdrive.
-Next, open up MSI AB and go into settings. Check the box to sync the cards so they both run at the same clocks. You can check the box to disable ULPS, but I left mine enabled and it's been fine (it's an optional thing). Apply and close the settings.
-In AB, set the power limit to +50% (as high as it will go). No harm will come from doing this. It will just make sure power tune doesn't downclock when it shouldn't. Set the GPU core clock to 947 (or what ever is stock for your cards) and the same for the memory - 1250 or what ever it should be. Click apply and then set that as profile #1 and click the little dot that says "apply OC on startup".
-Now, go run a 3D application (I like using unigine valley as a quick easy test) and watch your GPU clocks (if you have a 2nd display watch AB on the 2nd screen, if not, just alt-tab out while the program is running and look back to see what they were doing. Just keep in mind; some applications will drop out of crossfire mode (drop down to one card) when you alt-tab out and back in (valley does this)). They should sit at 300/150 at idle and ramp up to max stock clocks under load. If both cards ramp up together and stay that way, you should be good to go. GPU load should also be matched on both cards.

Let me know if that does the trick or if you have any trouble with any of those steps. Crossfire can be finicky and the silliest little thing(s) can cause undesirable performance if it's not working just right.

Clear as mud? thumb.gif

Yeah, its weird. Seems to really depend on the system. On my 3570k machine I had similar issues as what you describe. But on my 2700k machine, I had zero issues. I didn't have to do anything besides put the PC together start it up and enable crossfire. Crazy.
     
Reply
     
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club