Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club - Page 4372

post #43711 of 43740
If you want to wire the old two wire fan, peep the attached pic. You'll need the +12V and ground. I'd go with a PWM fan so you can control speeds for idle/gaming.

Subtle Hammer
(6 items)
 
µHammer
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-7700HQ Acer Aspire V15 VN7-593G GTX 1060 6GB 16GB DDR4-2400 (2x8GB) 
Hard DriveCooling
OCZ RD400 256GB NVME lol 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-4690k - 4.6GHz @ 1.250V ASRock Z97M OC Formula Sapphire R9 290 G.SKILL TridentX (2 x 4GB) DDR3 2400 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
2x H105s: CPU and 290 (via NZXT G10) The Tube (39" LG LED) Corsair AX760 Thermaltake Core V21 
  hide details  
Reply
Subtle Hammer
(6 items)
 
µHammer
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-7700HQ Acer Aspire V15 VN7-593G GTX 1060 6GB 16GB DDR4-2400 (2x8GB) 
Hard DriveCooling
OCZ RD400 256GB NVME lol 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-4690k - 4.6GHz @ 1.250V ASRock Z97M OC Formula Sapphire R9 290 G.SKILL TridentX (2 x 4GB) DDR3 2400 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
2x H105s: CPU and 290 (via NZXT G10) The Tube (39" LG LED) Corsair AX760 Thermaltake Core V21 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43712 of 43740
I have an r9 290 tri-x with 85.3% ASIC and 1.08V stock voltage which seems cool, but this seemingly low stock voltage means the +100mV limit in afterburner isn't really enough. Is there a way to bypass that limit?

I don't want to use trixx because it gives me horrible flicker whenever I apply any setting at all. mad.gif
post #43713 of 43740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caradine View Post

I have an r9 290 tri-x with 85.3% ASIC and 1.08V stock voltage which seems cool, but this seemingly low stock voltage means the +100mV limit in afterburner isn't really enough. Is there a way to bypass that limit?

I don't want to use trixx because it gives me horrible flicker whenever I apply any setting at all. mad.gif

Yes. You change change stock value to +50 mV in Bios with the tool.

https://github.com/OneB1t/HawaiiBiosReader
Edited by ZealotKi11er - 4/13/17 at 10:46am
Ishimura
(20 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition AMD Radeon R9 16GB DDR3-2400MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX 3x GentleTyphoon AP-15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large Audioengine D1 DAC 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Logitech Z-2300 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Reply
Ishimura
(20 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition AMD Radeon R9 16GB DDR3-2400MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX 3x GentleTyphoon AP-15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large Audioengine D1 DAC 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Logitech Z-2300 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Reply
post #43714 of 43740
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

Yes. You change change stock value to +50 mV in Bios with the tool.

https://github.com/OneB1t/HawaiiBiosReader

Thanks
post #43715 of 43740
Thank you both.
I decided to use my 7950 Windforce cooler instead, fans plug straight in and it
needed very little modding to make it fit.

A couple of bent fins and a small dent in the DVI shield being the worst of it.
I also added a bunch of small heatsinks for VRMs and one of the RAM modules.

Most importantly, my ears have stopped bleeding!
post #43716 of 43740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lernatix View Post

Thank you both.
I decided to use my 7950 Windforce cooler instead, fans plug straight in and it
needed very little modding to make it fit.

A couple of bent fins and a small dent in the DVI shield being the worst of it.
I also added a bunch of small heatsinks for VRMs and one of the RAM modules.

Most importantly, my ears have stopped bleeding!

You can actually made 290X Reference usable if you know how to mod the cards BIOS. 1GHz was simply too much for the card. The Base clock speeds is 727MHz. You can run the card ~ 850MHz with half the power which is crazy.
Ishimura
(20 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition AMD Radeon R9 16GB DDR3-2400MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX 3x GentleTyphoon AP-15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large Audioengine D1 DAC 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Logitech Z-2300 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Reply
Ishimura
(20 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition AMD Radeon R9 16GB DDR3-2400MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX 3x GentleTyphoon AP-15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large Audioengine D1 DAC 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Logitech Z-2300 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Reply
post #43717 of 43740

I recently bought a damaged 290. The smd cap shown was smashed. I don't have the specs or the means to measure the capacitance of one of the good caps. Instead, I just swapped in a same-sized cap from a donor 8800gt.

The card works now and is completely stable with the stock bios, as well as with much more aggressive memory timings. However, I'm simply unable to go beyond ~1325mem stably. Stock rom, the hynix mod rom, manually applying the 390 mc timings, or any other testing have all proven fruitless.

Stock bios has mem at 1300, and it seems that with 390 mc timings, it should be able to hit 1500.

Further, it seems when exceeding ~2gb of memory usage (e.g. when mining at higher intensities), errors are produced (hwinfo shows no memory errors as long as I stay within 1325mhz).

So I'm wondering if this capacitor is related to the memory / memory controller. Or better yet, if anyone is able to determine the actual specs so I can replace it with a proper one.

Thanks


edit: it's a reference 290 (sapphire tri-x)
Edited by ziddey - 4/13/17 at 3:04pm
post #43718 of 43740
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziddey View Post


I recently bought a damaged 290. The smd cap shown was smashed. I don't have the specs or the means to measure the capacitance of one of the good caps. Instead, I just swapped in a same-sized cap from a donor 8800gt.

The card works now and is completely stable with the stock bios, as well as with much more aggressive memory timings. However, I'm simply unable to go beyond ~1325mem stably. Stock rom, the hynix mod rom, manually applying the 390 mc timings, or any other testing have all proven fruitless.

Stock bios has mem at 1300, and it seems that with 390 mc timings, it should be able to hit 1500.

Further, it seems when exceeding ~2gb of memory usage (e.g. when mining at higher intensities), errors are produced (hwinfo shows no memory errors as long as I stay within 1325mhz).

So I'm wondering if this capacitor is related to the memory / memory controller. Or better yet, if anyone is able to determine the actual specs so I can replace it with a proper one.

Thanks


edit: it's a reference 290 (sapphire tri-x)

They might have different value. 1300MHz is a bad clock for 290. You want 1250, 1375 or 1500.
Ishimura
(20 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition AMD Radeon R9 16GB DDR3-2400MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX 3x GentleTyphoon AP-15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large Audioengine D1 DAC 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Logitech Z-2300 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Reply
Ishimura
(20 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition AMD Radeon R9 16GB DDR3-2400MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX 3x GentleTyphoon AP-15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large Audioengine D1 DAC 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Logitech Z-2300 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Reply
post #43719 of 43740
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

They might have different value. 1300MHz is a bad clock for 290. You want 1250, 1375 or 1500.
Running the same timings for both the 1250 and 1375 strap.
post #43720 of 43740
Well that was all for nothing, card was working fine (cool and quiet) last night and this morning, this afternoon PC shut down and won't boot with the 290X installed. ***

Looks like I blew the top most mosfet in pic. It's almost black compared to the others.
(Must have had one heatsink on poorly) Is this something I can remove/replace/bypass?


https://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2014/03/sapphire-radeon-r9-290x-tri-x-oc-review/sap290xoc-7b.jpg
Edited by Lernatix - 4/14/17 at 10:19am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD R9 290X / 290 Owners Club